Yes, unsoaked beans can make one very sick.
Before they are eaten, the raw bean seeds should be soaked in water for several hours and then boiled for at least ten minutes in new fresh water to degrade a toxic compound - the lectin phytohaemagglutinin - found in the bean which would otherwise cause severe gastric upset.
This compound is present in many varieties (and in some other species of bean), but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and white kidney beans (Cannellini beans). Although in the case of dry beans the ten minutes required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves, outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers whose low cooking temperatures may be unable to degrade the toxin. Sprouts of pulses high in haemaglutins should not be eaten. Kidney beans, especially, should not be soaked or sprouted.
(ie. no raw kidney beans. Just like 4-8 could kill a person, iirc.) Canned beans are pre-soaked and pre-cooked, generally, in America, per my understanding.
This cake sounds fascinating! I'm planning to make the recipe. Thanks.
whoa! kidney beans should not be soaked or sprouted? is that only from raw? what about dried kidney beans that have been sprouted, then cooked?
I made sprouted chili a few weeks ago with kidney and pintos. i cooked the sprouted beans per NT (maybe that's why she says to cook sprouted beans?)
no one in my house got sick...