or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaska chat for August - Page 6

post #101 of 271
Katreena,

I'm not sure, because I never actually went in and had it done, but I believe I recall my MW saying putting IUDs in is easier when a woman is on her cycle, so maybe checking one would be easier then, too? I'd keep the appt, personally, and just hear what she has to say. Maybe with the start of a new cycle month, you can get some baselines done with your hormones?

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

love, penelope
post #102 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
So guess what started today, just two days before my dr. appointment, with full on back pain and cramping, as usual. Yeah. So should I cancel? I mean, obviously it won't be done within two days and she can't exactly check my IUD when I'm bleeding all over the place. And obviously, I'm not pregnant. Any advice on whether I should even bother going, and if so, what for at this point? What is the hormone testing someone mentioned and other than that, when can I possibly gain from an exam (while on my period)?
Actually, it might be ideal. Your cervix will be open during your period, migt be better to see what is going on.
post #103 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
So guess what started today, just two days before my dr. appointment, with full on back pain and cramping, as usual. Yeah. So should I cancel? I mean, obviously it won't be done within two days and she can't exactly check my IUD when I'm bleeding all over the place. And obviously, I'm not pregnant. Any advice on whether I should even bother going, and if so, what for at this point? What is the hormone testing someone mentioned and other than that, when can I possibly gain from an exam (while on my period)?
I would call and ask. In theory, they should know what would work best.
post #104 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Katreena,

I'm not sure, because I never actually went in and had it done, but I believe I recall my MW saying putting IUDs in is easier when a woman is on her cycle, so maybe checking one would be easier then, too? I'd keep the appt, personally, and just hear what she has to say. Maybe with the start of a new cycle month, you can get some baselines done with your hormones?

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

love, penelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Actually, it might be ideal. Your cervix will be open during your period, might be better to see what is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would call and ask. In theory, they should know what would work best.
I called and asked. The woman who answered the phone also suggested it might be best, and they may actually prefer, that I be on my period when they check my IUD. She took down my name and number and will have a nurse call me back.
post #105 of 271
Katreena, isn't that always how it works with weird things and dr. appts.? I hope you can still get some answers.

I've heard Watershed had a good number of people drop out over the summer. I now know three non-sibs that got into the kindergarten and they had spots in 3rd and 7th after the lottery but now have spots in 1st, too.

We went to the fair again yesterday. DD rode the rides for the first time with a friend. There's one ride that made me sick just looking at it - it's called the tornado. OMG....blech! DD had an ice cream bar all to herself for the first time. I love the ice cream bar from the place by the footbridge over the ditch. DS wondered where his own ice cream was, I'm sure!

Looks like half our events for tomorrow will be rained out.

Jenn
post #106 of 271
Six hours later, someone finally called me back. She said that I need to reschedule for when I'm not on my period, and given my circumstances, I have no idea when that will be. She said that the insertion of an IUD is best done while on menses, but is not best for checking one already in place. I honestly have no idea what is involved with having one checked. I know it's there, that's not the concern. So I'm not really sure what checking it would solve. I mentioned hormone testing several times, but no one seemed to have any info on that. She said a doctor will call me back within 24 hours to discuss my concerns and in the meantime for me to reschedule. So I rescheduled my appointment for 9 am Friday, Aug 28th. I'm hoping I'll be off my period by then. Ugh.
post #107 of 271
Katreena,

Bummer.

I wish you all the best.
post #108 of 271
The Alaska Birth NEtwork meeting is Sunday the 15th, at 10:30am at the Kaladi brothers on Tudor/Muldoon.

www.alaskabirthnetwork.org
post #109 of 271
Is it just me, or does it seem a bit chillier than normal? I'm noticing a WHOLE LOT of leaves on the ground already
post #110 of 271
I've been saying for weeks that winter is coming early this year. The fireweed is certainly to the top of the stalks and there are alot of bright leaves already. It was 38 here yesterday morning and today there's fresh snow on the peaks.
post #111 of 271
while I think we had a fantastic summer (really... after last summer, it didn't take much to raise the bar LOL) I'm just not ready for fall/winter. I always feel a bit of panic set in when I know the cold is eminent.

My hubby and daughter get home tomorrow night. They've been in California for the last 10 days in 100+ temps, so I'm sure they'll be shell shocked when they get home.

I can't believe the "first day of school" starts Monday. I've been going through all the curriculum, trying to make sure that I've got all my ducks in a row. I think I'm putting FAR too much pressure on myself. I just want to make sure that I don't fail her (not that one could really "fail" someone in kindergarten) but I'm still feeling incredibly pressured just the same. Every one tells me that you get the hang of it and things just flow after a while. I sure hope so! All I care about is that we have FUN.
post #112 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
while I think we had a fantastic summer (really... after last summer, it didn't take much to raise the bar LOL) I'm just not ready for fall/winter. I always feel a bit of panic set in when I know the cold is imminent.
Me, too. The spring/summer here is just too short and fall is too dark and cold! My husband still needs to repair the hole in our roof from that tree falling on it back in January. Procrastination is his middle name.
post #113 of 271
lovely! It is forcasted to rain all week! All week we have guests up from Montana.
Come see lovely Alaska. Blah
post #114 of 271
It seems like you get one or the other with August... either rain the whole time or unseasonable hot (I really miss those years when we got that).

I'd gladly take a month of 80 degrees before the snow falls.

My family is boarding the plane in a few hours, headed for home :::: While it's been nice having 10 days of peace and quiet here at home, I miss my little girl so much it hurts. I can't wait to swoop her up and slobber all over her.
post #115 of 271
I'm sitting on the floor of our new home in Fairbanks! :

Poor DH is having to finish packing and loading a UHaul from Delta all by himself (I can't help as I don't drive & we have two littles in carseats that won't fit in the uhaul). We're excited to be back in town though!
post #116 of 271
Congrats, Karen, on having your DH and sweet girl home soon!

Tammy, I'm sorry about the sucky weather for your visitors...We always joke, "Welcome to lovely Kodiak, Alaska!" when it rains all over our guests.

Pure_AK_Crystal, wow! How exciting!! Can you give us a general area where you're at? I'm in the Goldstream Valley, and so are several other MDC mamas. Give that man of yours a cup of hot cocoa and a back rub! Good for all of you!

On a purely unrelated note, anyone here raise or slaughter pigs, or who has done so in the past? The closer we get to the DAY, the more stressed i'm getting about the whole thing and the more ready to pay for someone else to do it. Not because I'm grossed out by it or anything, I've butchered plenty of moose, and I've killed chickens for cooking before...but 1) I have to put these pigs down myself. 2) I've never butchered a pig, and I hear if you do it wrong you can really mess up some very good cuts. 3) Pork sort of freaks me out in its raw state, and it doesn't get much more raw, does it?

We're revving up for the new school "year," and the teens have truly enjoyed the fair and seeing their friends, volunteering every. single. day, and having the eldest, C, up from Palmer for a week. She's a blast.

The littles are of course already totally immersed in what we consider "school" work, so no big deal when we really start. Iris brought me a paper covered in capital "I"s and said, "I did my IDEA (our homeschool network) work, Mama. Do I earn anything?"

Monday begins high school swim season, and W is swimming for our homeschool. : Back to the gym and the pool every day for the rest of us, maybe I'll take off some weight!

love, p
post #117 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
On a purely unrelated note, anyone here raise or slaughter pigs, or who has done so in the past? The closer we get to the DAY, the more stressed i'm getting about the whole thing and the more ready to pay for someone else to do it. Not because I'm grossed out by it or anything, I've butchered plenty of moose, and I've killed chickens for cooking before...but 1) I have to put these pigs down myself. 2) I've never butchered a pig, and I hear if you do it wrong you can really mess up some very good cuts. 3) Pork sort of freaks me out in its raw state, and it doesn't get much more raw, does it?

love, p
My dad has done tons, I can give him a call. When are you doing it?
post #118 of 271
Penelope, a friend of mine and I were just talking about the whole butchering thing a couple of days ago. I know here there are a couple of places that will come and put down & butcher for you for an affordable amount of money.

We used to deal with the guy out on the rich highway (like 11 mile or so???) who had the butchering facility there (wish I could remember the name of the place) you may be able to find someone through him. He does lots of pigs at his place.

Good luck! That is the one thing I can't do. I can eat it if I've never seen it alive, but if I've ever looked into it's eyes... I'm toast (even with fish LOL).
post #119 of 271
penelope, I just got off the phone with my dad and have lots of details...I think you still have my number from an earlier PM, if not I am in the phone book (Toni Hawkins) feel free to give me a call, I'll be home all night.
post #120 of 271
Thanks, Karen and Toni! I'll give you a call, Toni. I hope the new job responsibilities work really well for you this school year, Toni, and Karen, you're going to ROCK at homeschooling!

I think we're butchering in Sept, but I have to talk to the friend who is raising them on her land tonight about it. *LE SIGH* I might spring for a cheap guy to come walk us through it...you know, two full time helpers, but he (or she) can walk us through the whole process for less than a full-processing place??

lov,e p
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii