or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!! - Page 7

post #121 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Reading over that, I sound like I'm complaining (well I am a little) but I don't mind back to school shopping. I just wish something else didn't have to go unpaid to do it.
I know how that feels, mama. You wil work out something. Us poor mamas are crafty like that. If you have one of the big box office supply stores near you, a lot of those are offering some deals on notebooks, crayons, etc.
post #122 of 285
Yeah, we're letting our utilities ride this paycheck. The water bill and the electric bill will be three and one days late, respectively, and each one will charge us a $3 late fee, but that's a lot cheaper than not paying our property taxes late (at 1% a day) or not paying our car insurance (possible tickets/repossesion).

I hate that both car insurance AND property taxes are due in September.
Oh, well. Once the students come back to class, DH will get some overtime, and he gets three checks in October, so that will help a lot. But until then, we're eating WIC food, garden produce and beans and rice.
post #123 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Yeah, we're letting our utilities ride this paycheck. The water bill and the electric bill will be three and one days late, respectively, and each one will charge us a $3 late fee, but that's a lot cheaper than not paying our property taxes late (at 1% a day) or not paying our car insurance (possible tickets/repossesion).

I hate that both car insurance AND property taxes are due in September.
Oh, well. Once the students come back to class, DH will get some overtime, and he gets three checks in October, so that will help a lot. But until then, we're eating WIC food, garden produce and beans and rice.
do you pay your car insurance bi-yearly or quarterly? I've always done monthly and it seems much less tramatic that way. Although my property taxes are paid monthly as part of my mortgage I understand how paying them yearly or bi-yearly can be a real pain. Growing up, I always remember property tax time being very stressful for my mom. My mom also worked for the school and up until just last year she had to take her paycheck over a 10 month period instead of spreading them over all 12. If she did 12 she wouldn't have enough to live on so she did 10 then took a summer job. Hard to get hired for only 2 months at any office sort of jobs so she usually ended up working on the summer maintence crew for the school or some other kind of labor job. That meant 10 hour days, working in the sun for minimum wage with a bunch of college age men. I definatly appreciate what my mom did all those years!

hey, and nothing wrong with good ol beans and rice! The most common dinner I make is one box flavored rice roni, 2 servings plain brown rice, a can of beans, frozen veggies, all mixed together with some monteray jack wic cheese grated and melted in. Manages to mostly fill dh, dd, and I up. If we're feeling extra hungry I scramble up a couple wic eggs and throw those into the pot too!
post #124 of 285
My DH's work contract is up on Sept. 30th, and I have no idea what he will do after that. He puts out at least 5-10 resumes every day and hasn't gotten a single reply yet. We've been playing catch up and living completely pay check to pay check, with no savings (because there is nothing left over to save).

I have a newborn and going to school 3/4 time, so getting a full time job for me is not feasible for us at the moment.
post #125 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
do you pay your car insurance bi-yearly or quarterly? I've always done monthly and it seems much less tramatic that way. Although my property taxes are paid monthly as part of my mortgage I understand how paying them yearly or bi-yearly can be a real pain. Growing up, I always remember property tax time being very stressful for my mom. My mom also worked for the school and up until just last year she had to take her paycheck over a 10 month period instead of spreading them over all 12. If she did 12 she wouldn't have enough to live on so she did 10 then took a summer job. Hard to get hired for only 2 months at any office sort of jobs so she usually ended up working on the summer maintence crew for the school or some other kind of labor job. That meant 10 hour days, working in the sun for minimum wage with a bunch of college age men. I definatly appreciate what my mom did all those years!

hey, and nothing wrong with good ol beans and rice! The most common dinner I make is one box flavored rice roni, 2 servings plain brown rice, a can of beans, frozen veggies, all mixed together with some monteray jack wic cheese grated and melted in. Manages to mostly fill dh, dd, and I up. If we're feeling extra hungry I scramble up a couple wic eggs and throw those into the pot too!
Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)!

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.
post #126 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.
ok, so the clothes and whatnot... what is a good time for you? what area of town r u in (pm me if you don't want to advertise that)? tomorrow I'm doing squat so far. mon tues wed i'm busy. mon and tues are dh's days off (if he can afford to take them off that is) and wed i have to be here all day for a schwans drop off. Thanks to an mdc thread I got $10 free schwans via promotion! thursday and fri are free so far also. up to you. let me know!
post #127 of 285
does anyone here supplement their income with paid disibility? I might just qualify for it and a few extra bucks a month really couldn't hurt right now. I have no idea how to go about it though... not to mention that I haven't worked a regular job since I was 20... I'm now 25.
post #128 of 285
Naturalmama, please consider editing that post. Having anyone purchase food stamps is very highly illegal and considered fraud, which they will prosecute.


QUOTE=natural_mama89;14239708]Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)! I think I may try and get the kiddos grandparents to regularly buy some of my FS from me. Oh terrible, irresponsible poor mama I am .

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.[/QUOTE]
post #129 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
does anyone here supplement their income with paid disibility? I might just qualify for it and a few extra bucks a month really couldn't hurt right now. I have no idea how to go about it though... not to mention that I haven't worked a regular job since I was 20... I'm now 25.
I'm getting help applying for it through DSHS. You can ask a worker there to help you, (if you recieve any state benefits) or you can go to the Social Security website. Can't remember off the top of my head. Just Google "social security disability."
post #130 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
Thanks to an mdc thread I got $10 free schwans via promotion! thursday and fri are free so far also. up to you. let me know!
We got ours yesterday (Free $10 one) and no hassels from the delivery guy! I signed up my lil sis and her gf too because they just moved back and are super poor until they start working again (Monday).

We are lucky that my MIL spoils my kiddos too much.. she just bought Seb 2 new pairs of shoes yesterday (she didn't even tell us she was going to, she took him to the store while we were on our date).

I need to sell my old text books and cloth diapers that Oli has grown out of.. then maybe I can start Xmas shopping soon with the paypal money
post #131 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barky586 View Post
Naturalmama, please consider editing that post. Having anyone purchase food stamps is very highly illegal and considered fraud, which they will prosecute.


QUOTE=natural_mama89;14239708]Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)! I think I may try and get the kiddos grandparents to regularly buy some of my FS from me. Oh terrible, irresponsible poor mama I am .

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.
[/QUOTE]

I said that I might, not that I am for the record, and it was mostly a joke because of the thread I referred to earlier. I have avoided it because it does feel wrong to me, but things are just going to be so difficult and I know a LOT of people who have done it and the system is so screwed I don't blame them. Also, I don't believe it is anymore illegal than the "borrowing" FS from somebody for food and paying them back later, or than giving someone else you WIC foods, which people on here have mentioned (not this thread, but MDC) though I may be wrong. I did edit the post. Sorry if I offended anyone. Also, please do not post on here for the sole purpose of telling people what they should do. This is a support thread, don't turn it into another poor people bashing one, please.
post #132 of 285
Thread Starter 
Did anyone need those newborn cloth dipes? Anyone know anyone who wants them? I really don't want them to just sit around and deteriorate because I can't find anyone who wants them.
post #133 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Did anyone need those newborn cloth dipes? Anyone know anyone who wants them? I really don't want them to just sit around and deteriorate because I can't find anyone who wants them.
I bought them all off diaperswappers, and going to put them back on there for sale
post #134 of 285
Thread Starter 
I have posted on diaperswappers and craigslist and manged to sell some of them, but not all. Usually people are interested in only certain brands or types. I suppose I could try one more time and reduce the prices, though I asked for pretty low prices to begin with. I would post them FFS, but I thought on this thread I might have found someone who is really in need and that is why I asked.
post #135 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)!

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.
Wonderful you have got a tattoo artist friend, I would so love one of those!!! I have this horrible tattoo that I am wanting to get rid of, ideally by just placing a nicer one over it. I have even considered DIY removal methods cause I have no money for tattoos right now.

Are there any international moms selling on etsy? I would love to sell on etsy (or there is this thing called dawanda as well) but, not having a paypal account, I am not sure if that is an option at all. Most online jobs seem to require paypal accounts these days. (I can opened a paypal account, but i can not link it to my bank account - long story related to international sanctions in the country we live in )

Oh, we spent a great day at the beach yesterday. We did lots of fun things and it didn't cost a dime. Yay! :
post #136 of 285
Happy Sunday, all
At least next week is Tax Free week : so that will help
Hope everyone has a good day, and a great week
post #137 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Wonderful you have got a tattoo artist friend, I would so love one of those!!! I have this horrible tattoo that I am wanting to get rid of, ideally by just placing a nicer one over it. I have even considered DIY removal methods cause I have no money for tattoos right now.

Are there any international moms selling on etsy? I would love to sell on etsy (or there is this thing called dawanda as well) but, not having a paypal account, I am not sure if that is an option at all. Most online jobs seem to require paypal accounts these days. (I can opened a paypal account, but i can not link it to my bank account - long story related to international sanctions in the country we live in )

Oh, we spent a great day at the beach yesterday. We did lots of fun things and it didn't cost a dime. Yay! :
Yeah I my tattoo artist friend! He does such a nice job too. I was not aware that there were any DIY tattoo removal methods. That is interesting. I have no idea about the etsy stuff. Sorry.

Hope all the mamas are doing well this morning! I have been doing some cleaning/organizing as well as working on an awesome bustle skirt of burgundy and black velvet! I am soooooo happy that my sewing machine is fixed.
post #138 of 285
How is everyone this eve? I went to Goodwill today and got my 6yo DD a pair of sweats, and two long sleeved shirts. It is getting cool here already some days, and she has been growing like a weed, so she had hardly any Fall clothes that fit. I was glad to be able to do that for her. Luckily my younger DD has a bunch of older DDs hand-me-downs, so I think she's all set for clothes.
I love how I can spend $6 at a thrift store, and it brings so much joy. :
post #139 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
working on an awesome bustle skirt of burgundy and black velvet! I am soooooo happy that my sewing machine is fixed.
Sounds awesome! Show us a pic when it's done?
post #140 of 285
Thread Starter 
Yeah I will definitely do that. I still need to get DP to take a pic of my tattoo. Off to work on my skirt now until DP gets home from work!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!!