or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!! - Page 10

post #181 of 285
Hi everyone!
Just popping in to say hello.
Hope everyone's doing good
post #182 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Pertaining to the textbook site, which is better, the online version or the downloadable one?
ehh, it's totally up to you. If you are going to be on a lot of different computers, like the library, the college lab, friend's houses etc (like if you have no internet at home or if your computer crashes)--then do the online, it's accessible anywhere with your login and password. The downloadable one takes up harddrive space on ONE computer, so if you know you will always be on one computer, and it's a reliable one, then that might be better They're the same price, and I bought the online subscription when I did mine.

Oh--the online version is a 180-day subscription, while the DL'd one is permanently on your harddrive. Both are fully searchable

Well, I applied for foodstamps/medicaid/TANF today, so I should know about that one way or the other next Thursday.

I've also got a full/regular schedule for work again starting at the end of the month (even tho I may be getting a 9-5 full-time job at any time). I my boss--she's so flexible.

DH failed his national exam again--third time, which means he'll have to take a refresher course before he can try again. :

He's bummed, but he was able to change his degree plan so he can still go to school full-time in the Fall, with academic courses--AND....I finally convinced him to go to disability support, and he qualifies for accommodations! This means he'll have a reader for his classroom tests, and possibly an in-class notetaker and digitally recorded textbook chapters as well. Now if only we can get the proof needed for him to have a reader on the national exam....
post #183 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

I've also got a full/regular schedule for work again starting at the end of the month (even tho I may be getting a 9-5 full-time job at any time). I my boss--she's so flexible.

DH failed his national exam again--third time, which means he'll have to take a refresher course before he can try again. :

He's bummed, but he was able to change his degree plan so he can still go to school full-time in the Fall, with academic courses--AND....I finally convinced him to go to disability support, and he qualifies for accommodations! This means he'll have a reader for his classroom tests, and possibly an in-class notetaker and digitally recorded textbook chapters as well. Now if only we can get the proof needed for him to have a reader on the national exam....
Sorry about the exam

But Yay for the FT hours!
post #184 of 285
About the FS question, the timelines can vary. Was there a box to check that you wanted to request expedited service? That would make it go faster. I think we got ours pretty quickly, like within a week or so.

Good night, ladies. I hope you all have a peaceful night.
post #185 of 285
what are you and your dp's in school for? My dh just finished his EMT and is now in Fire Academy (woah. : :fireman ) and I would like to go to massage school next year.
post #186 of 285
DH is picking up some hours mowing today and tomorrow, I am so glad. I get to go grocery shopping on Saturday, I am so excited b/c I have some really good coupons and am going to get a lot for a little $. Now if I could only get WIC to give us enough milk to actually LAST a whole month. We're usually out of milk on week 2, and man does it add up.

I really do get a lot of satisfaction from opening the pantry/fridge and seeing lots of food. That makes me feel secure, even when nothing else does.
post #187 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
what are you and your dp's in school for? My dh just finished his EMT and is now in Fire Academy (woah. : :fireman ) and I would like to go to massage school next year.
I'm getting my generals done at the community college, then plan to transfer to the U for a BA in anthropology.

I plan to become an IBCLC lactation consultant though. I'm going to school as long as we are poor, otherwise we could never afford it!

DH has a BS in environmental studies and economics.
post #188 of 285
Thread Starter 
I'm going to community college to get my prerequisites to hopefully go to Seattle Midwifery School. I need two years prerequisites, so I am going to work it into an AA degree because it just looks better to have some sort of degree. I hope to get my doula certification Or my childbirth education certification (required for midwifery school anyway) this year so I can begin doing something involving birth to get myself through school. I just birth. Ever since I gave birth to Angel when I was 16 I have wanted to be a midwife. My awesome midwives inspired me. I was lucky that Washington medicaid covers CPM's. It is so expensive though, and the closest place I can take those classes is at SMS. I am thinking I will probably have no way around getting loans, and I really wanted to avoid it. It really sucks to know the next few years are going to probably be this long cycle of debt and I hate it. I don't know how else I am going to get my school finished though.:
post #189 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
I'm going to community college to get my prerequisites to hopefully go to Seattle Midwifery School. I need two years prerequisites, so I am going to work it into an AA degree because it just looks better to have some sort of degree. I hope to get my doula certification Or my childbirth education certification (required for midwifery school anyway) this year so I can begin doing something involving birth to get myself through school. I just birth. Ever since I gave birth to Angel when I was 16 I have wanted to be a midwife. My awesome midwives inspired me. I was lucky that Washington medicaid covers CPM's. It is so expensive though, and the closest place I can take those classes is at SMS. I am thinking I will probably have no way around getting loans, and I really wanted to avoid it. It really sucks to know the next few years are going to probably be this long cycle of debt and I hate it. I don't know how else I am going to get my school finished though.:
My community college offers a doula and childbirth class.. I took it last fall! It's everything you need to get your certification besides the actual births.
post #190 of 285
Thread Starter 
I am pretty sure mine does not .Unless it is listed somewhere that I am not aware of. Would it be part of the nursing program if they offered it? I have done all kinds of crazy googling and have only found classes in Seattle that are even in this state. Where do you think I should look?
post #191 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
what are you and your dp's in school for? My dh just finished his EMT and is now in Fire Academy (woah. : :fireman ) and I would like to go to massage school next year.
Wow--congrats to your DH! Mine wants to do fire academy, but he's had to change tack for awhile after failing the national EMT exam for the third time. He's gonna take some academic classes and hopefully get a part-time job here shortly, cause on top of not being able to make ends meet, we need to buy baby stuff soon...!

I recently finished my AA in Commercial Art, and I'm working on my BA in Sociology online from Ashford U. I'm thinking I might take a minor in Psychology as well, but OTOH i want to be DONE, and I want as little as possible in student loans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluella View Post
I really do get a lot of satisfaction from opening the pantry/fridge and seeing lots of food. That makes me feel secure, even when nothing else does.
YES. I totally agree. I grew up in a house where I never had to think about food, we always had tons....but in my adult life, there's great security in a full-to-bursting pantry! :


so...I unexpectedly worked 6 hours today...and my boss and HER boss were both talking about how they wish HR would let them create a full-time position for what I was doing all day! : Even if nothing ever comes of that, it makes me feel all kinds of cool
post #192 of 285
Hi, everyone
Well it's Friday Things are sooo tight, but I was able to get one pair of pants and a shirt for each of the kids and a backpack.
I am sooo hot!
post #193 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
I am pretty sure mine does not .Unless it is listed somewhere that I am not aware of. Would it be part of the nursing program if they offered it? I have done all kinds of crazy googling and have only found classes in Seattle that are even in this state. Where do you think I should look?
Mine was a health class and a lot of nursing students take it for an elective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
we need to buy baby stuff soon...!
speaking of buying baby stuff, I sent you the wool cover in the mail today, plus something extra (not much, but I hope you can use it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Hi, everyone
Well it's Friday Things are sooo tight, but I was able to get one pair of pants and a shirt for each of the kids and a backpack.
I am sooo hot!
Have you tried the thrift store? My BFF got 3 of her kids school cloths for $100 total at hers.
post #194 of 285
I plan on going there next payperiod, but I didn't have my car today (ugh) so I had to go to HellMart.
post #195 of 285
ok ladies, I need some brainstorming here.

NEED to find some medical. Have to get some by mid-week next week. My medical issueS just went to a whole new level yesterday and I can't put this off anymore.

I don't qualify for DSHS temporary emergency medical, don't qualify for adult medicaid. I do qualify for Basic Health BUT my turn on the waiting list is estimated to possibly be a year or more... and that isn't going to work for me! The medical at dh's employer is waaaaaaay to expensive for us to even afford the premium, let alone actual visits to the doctor.

We can't afford much. My mom said she could help some with monthly premiums but, again not a whole lot. I very well may be needing surgery in the near future (perhaps more than one) and I know I will at least need to see 2 seperate kinds of specialists... in other words, it's going to cost a lot. I can't see a doc until I get insurance because once they give me an official diag it will be considered a pre-existing condition when I get around to getting medical. Even basic health won't treat any pre existing conditions until you've been insured with them for 9 months.

so... what sort of options would seem to make sense in this scenerio? Anyone have experience with out of pocket medical costs while on an already small budget?
post #196 of 285
Payday for us is once a week, on Thursday. Bills are paid and we now have $23 in checking.
post #197 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
speaking of buying baby stuff, I sent you the wool cover in the mail today, plus something extra (not much, but I hope you can use it)
Thanks Lizzy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
ok ladies, I need some brainstorming here.

NEED to find some medical.<snip> I can't see a doc until I get insurance because once they give me an official diag it will be considered a pre-existing condition when I get around to getting medical.
I'm so sorry you're not feeling well--i have no exp with medical insurance OOP, but maybe someone has ideas to help us both

about them considering it a pre-existing condition once you do get insurance.......I SO didn't even think of that. They make it to where it's a lose-lose situation, except for them! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Payday for us is once a week, on Thursday. Bills are paid and we now have $23 in checking.
at least the bills ARE paid, right??

Hope everyone is doing okay-ish...
post #198 of 285
is there a sliding scale clinic? or maybe a county hospital that has a sliding dcale clinic or try the first call for help 211 maybe they have resources fr medical. man do i pray that you find somthing and very soon .
post #199 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
ok ladies, I need some brainstorming here.

NEED to find some medical. Have to get some by mid-week next week. My medical issueS just went to a whole new level yesterday and I can't put this off anymore.

I don't qualify for DSHS temporary emergency medical, don't qualify for adult medicaid. I do qualify for Basic Health BUT my turn on the waiting list is estimated to possibly be a year or more... and that isn't going to work for me! The medical at dh's employer is waaaaaaay to expensive for us to even afford the premium, let alone actual visits to the doctor.

We can't afford much. My mom said she could help some with monthly premiums but, again not a whole lot. I very well may be needing surgery in the near future (perhaps more than one) and I know I will at least need to see 2 seperate kinds of specialists... in other words, it's going to cost a lot. I can't see a doc until I get insurance because once they give me an official diag it will be considered a pre-existing condition when I get around to getting medical. Even basic health won't treat any pre existing conditions until you've been insured with them for 9 months.

so... what sort of options would seem to make sense in this scenerio? Anyone have experience with out of pocket medical costs while on an already small budget?
Hmmm, I don't know the specifics of this, but what about purchasing catastrophic health care first? The premiums should be really low, and if you get diagnosed, then as long as you have no insurance lapses, you will be covered from the pre-existing condition clause?

The only other advice I have is call up your local public hospital. I know that 1) the rates they charge are a LOT less than private hospitals and 2) talk to them, they might be able to find some plan to put you on. I know when I went to the ER for something (at least 8 yrs ago, can't remember specifics) they asked me all sorts of questions, like how many kids did I have, etc to find *something* to lower the costs.

Honestly though, the position you are in is exactly why we are having the health care debates currently. The only time in my life I've had insurance was during my pregnancies & then only for the pregnancy--nothing else was covered. And hospitals will charge you the outrageous prices, even if you offer cash. They blame it on uninsured patients increasing costs, but the real reason is that they don't make much $$ off of insurance and well, the uninsured are easy victims. I've also heard of them requiring FULL payment before treatment.

Is there no way to speed up your basic health? Call them every few days, get someone who will listen to your plight?

The only other advice I have is to have your dh's income drop enough to cover you guys under MediCal. I don't know though if that's possible, or okay at all.



Ami
post #200 of 285
Thread Starter 
I am so sorry Tracy. I don't have much advice but I would go to the CHAS clinic and see if they can do anything. Perhaps look into some alternative healthcare practitioners that may be able to treat you without surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
ok ladies, I need some brainstorming here.

NEED to find some medical. Have to get some by mid-week next week. My medical issueS just went to a whole new level yesterday and I can't put this off anymore.

I don't qualify for DSHS temporary emergency medical, don't qualify for adult medicaid. I do qualify for Basic Health BUT my turn on the waiting list is estimated to possibly be a year or more... and that isn't going to work for me! The medical at dh's employer is waaaaaaay to expensive for us to even afford the premium, let alone actual visits to the doctor.

We can't afford much. My mom said she could help some with monthly premiums but, again not a whole lot. I very well may be needing surgery in the near future (perhaps more than one) and I know I will at least need to see 2 seperate kinds of specialists... in other words, it's going to cost a lot. I can't see a doc until I get insurance because once they give me an official diag it will be considered a pre-existing condition when I get around to getting medical. Even basic health won't treat any pre existing conditions until you've been insured with them for 9 months.

so... what sort of options would seem to make sense in this scenerio? Anyone have experience with out of pocket medical costs while on an already small budget?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!!