or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Europe › France › Moving to France and clueless..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moving to France and clueless.. - Page 2

post #21 of 46
Thread Starter 
From what I get off the Internet you don't automatically get the carte you have to have plans to work/be working, not covered by your own country, live in France up to 5 years.

The social $ programme will be available if my taxes are paid in France?
I am not counting on working, but was thinking something part time might not be a bad idea after a while.
post #22 of 46
... you could get some work as a childminder (in your home) in fact .... "normaly" a childminder is registered and has done some sort of training in order to be registered on "official" lists which are kept by the local organisations which provide them for parents looking for childcare ....

but, since there's such a shortage of day care places, you could probably find a family that's so desperate that they don't mind that you are not registered & qualified with local qualifications ....especially if you start investigating the local expat community = there's bound to be some expats who would appreciate an english speaking environment for their child/children

the thing would be to NOT be "au noir" but to be "déclarée" and probably paid by "cheques emploi service" in order for you to be legally employed, that way I SUPPOSE (not sure 100%) that you could get a "carte vitale" ....

french people who've been un-employed for too long or out of the "carte vitale" entitlement fall under the CMU (Couverture maladie universelle), better than nothing but not so very good in fact (+ as a foreigner I 'm not sure how/when/after how long you would qualify ...)
post #23 of 46
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I am not sure my 'status' for medical care, I am a British citizen therefore an eu status eligible but will probably come with temp insurance until I establish residency. What is a carte vitale?
It's been a long time since I lived in France, and I didn't have kids then, but I do know about this - if you are a UK citizen, get yourself an European Health Insurance card (https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do). This should entitle you to receive any treatment in France that you would receive in the UK for little or no cost.

Also maybe worth trying a website such as sabbaticalhomes.com for rentals.

The most recent edition of the Rough Guide to Paris (and probably France as well) has a good discussion of how to transfer your UK social security-type benefits to France.
post #24 of 46
i think asking a social worker or expatriation specialist wouldn t hurt.
the CAf allowances fall into 2 categories, some are below a certain income (until the last kid turns 3), some are linked to having kids, whatever the income is.
i would think all living on the French soil get them. i can't sware, though.

if you are a student and until you're 28, you'll get the student securite sociale.

i gotta go, sorry. i'll come back
post #25 of 46
...I thaught that the European inssurance card is only for use sduring holidays and business trip, and not if you are a resident ...
post #26 of 46
have just sent an e-mail to the CAF to inquire about the entitlement to allocations familiales for a British citizen taking residence in France ...
don't know how many days it will be until they answer ....
am curious to know the answer now ....
post #27 of 46
Thread Starter 
It should be interesting, I read that foriegn students qualify for rental assistance just like French ones. I am sure it's tied to income AND filing your taxes in France. I can't see they'd give anything out to people who are not tax paying residents...but you never know

Here our tax credit system and sub. daycare is open to any tax filing resident. I am not sure how long it would take to establish residency but I am sure its probably close to if not longer than a year and requires paying taxes...
post #28 of 46
they didn't ask me anything when i was a student, only to be independant from my parents 'foyer fiscal'. you pay 152 e and you're covered, as well as your dependants. but you have to be younger than 28.
i don't remember of any question about nationality on the student assistance forms by the CAF;

now, here is the tricky part, in France, most helps depends on your income, but not your current income, that from the year before! so if you don't have any record cause you're new to the system, it can be more tricky;
at some point we spent one year in France after living in the US and we had to go through an exceptional procedure with the city daycare; they used our current income as an assessment of our true situation and regularized after based on your tax record.
i think the CAF does it too.
post #29 of 46
right for daycare; I'm going to produce 3 payslips instead of a 2007 income return (I've got the US one but they don't want that , too complex for them to translate !)

residency = tied up with income source
we had our last payslips in the US on a Friday and stopped being tax residents there on that date
& my husbands started workn less than a week later here and we have been considered residents here since that first day at work here.

what about a bank account ? is your pushy french friend going to help you open one if you don't yet have one ?

by the way, the yellow vest (for cars, even if you rent one) and triangle de signalisation can be had for less than 10 euros in large supermarkets ...
post #30 of 46
shiloh, the booklet from the CAF arrived ! it says

"Quelle que soit votre nationalité, vous pouvez bénéficier des prestations familiales. Vous aurez simplement à justifier que vous et vos enfants à charge résidez en France de façon permanente.
Vous devez en outre:
- si vous êtes ressortissant de l' Espace Economique Européen, remplir les conditions de droit au séjour;"

I'm just not sure what they require to justify that you live here permanently
nor do I have a clue what are the "conditions de droit au séjour" ...
post #31 of 46
it could be that below for the conditions de droit au séjour

Droit de séjour d'une durée supérieure à trois mois

Le droit de séjour pour une période supérieure à trois mois reste soumis à certaines conditions:

* soit exercer une activité économique en qualité de travailleur salarié ou non salarié;
* soit disposer de ressources suffisantes et d'une assurance maladie afin de ne pas devenir une charge pour l'assistance sociale de l'État membre d'accueil pendant son séjour. À ce propos, les États membres ne pourront pas fixer le montant des ressources qu'ils considèrent comme suffisantes, mais ils doivent tenir compte de la situation personnelle de la personne concernée ;
* soit suivre une formation en tant qu' étudiant et disposer de ressources suffisantes et d'une assurance maladie afin de ne pas devenir une charge pour l'assistance sociale de l'État membre d'accueil pendant son séjour;
* soit être membre de la famille d'un citoyen de l'Union qui entre dans une des catégories susdites.

La carte de séjour pour les citoyens de l'Union est supprimée. Toutefois, les États membres pourront demander au citoyen de se faire enregistrer auprès des autorités compétentes dans un délai qui ne sera pas inférieur à trois mois à compter de son arrivée. L'attestation d'enregistrement sera immédiatement délivrée sur présentation:

* d'une carte d'identité ou d'un passeport en cours de validité;
* d'une preuve que les conditions ci-dessus sont remplies (voir à l'article 8 de la directive les preuves exigibles pour chaque catégorie de citoyen). Les citoyens de l'Union qui suivent une formation; doivent montrer, dans une déclaration ou tout autre moyen de leur choix, qu'ils disposent de ressources suffisantes pour eux-mêmes et pour les membres de leurs familles afin d'éviter de devenir une charge pour le système d'assistance sociale de l'Etat membre d'accueil suffiront . Cela suffira à prouver qu'ils répondent à la condition de ressources.

Les membres de la famille d'un citoyen de l'Union qui n'ont pas la nationalité d'un État membre doivent demander une "carte de séjour de membre de la famille d'un citoyen de l'Union", ayant une validité de cinq ans au moins, à dater de sa délivrance.
post #32 of 46
help might not be immediate but delayed by 3 months

Tout citoyen de l'Union bénéficiaire du droit de séjour ou du droit de séjour permanent, ainsi que les membres de sa famille, bénéficie de l'égalité de traitement par rapport aux citoyens nationaux dans les domaines d'application du traité. Toutefois, l'État membre d'accueil n'est pas obligé d'accorder le droit à une prestation d'assistance sociale pendant les trois premiers mois de séjour aux personnes autres que les travailleurs salariés ou non salariés et les membres de leur famille.
post #33 of 46
Butting in to say bring every single piece of paper that relates to your life with you... including old utility bills from your previous addresses! To rent an appartment, to get your child into creche, to get a Carte Vitale you will be required to submit a dossier containing a hundred pieces of paper to varius authorities.

Regarding the EHIC, even if you are a BRitish citizen you may not qualify for it if you have not been resident in the UK recently. We moved from NZ to Scotland then on to France, and were told we were not eligible for EHIC. So we had to take out private health insurance until we were covered by French state healthcare.

Good luck!
post #34 of 46
I'm British and we've thought of france once or twice. I think with EU law they have to treat you like a normal french person don't they? And you'd get the money that a French person would get? Just like if they move to England they would get our system.

What is this??

Allocation for parental presence (39-47€/day + 101€/month)
And how is it for parents that don't vax, do the docs report you and hassle you?
post #35 of 46
Britishmama, I think that the allocation you describe is in lieu of salary in case you stop working because your child has a long term illness or or is disabled according to a specific percentage scale or is in a serious accident etc ....
you need quite a lot of paperwork both from your employer and the child's doctor + it's only up to 300 days in a span of 3 years + it's also contrôled by another doctor paid by social services & they have the right to stop paying after a review of the situation by that doctor
(as read in page 15 of the booklet "vos prestations 2009")

am not so sure about the bit "they have to treat you like a French person if you are a EU citizen..." => it does say in the official texts that the state doesn't have to give someone any subsidy for the first 3 months of their stay in France if they don't have work or are not a dependant (spouse ...) of someone who works here ...

+ you need a physical address over here (or a "certificat d'hebergement" if someone is putting you up for free) which might be difficult to get if you cannot show a "contrat de travail" to a prospective landlord ... I know because there are a lot of Romanian "gypsis" where I live and when they live out of a trailer they cannot even get the basic "allocations familiales" and beg on the streets or try to sell a "support the homeless magazine" ... they are EU citizen now ... but that doesn't mean that they fulfill all the requirements for receiving money from the Caisse d' Allocations Familiales ...

so it's a bit of a vicious circle => if you don't have an address you can't get money but if you can't get regular income/money, you can't really rent in the private sector (unless it's furnished accomodation, which has a different set of rules ....)

I suppose it's a way to prevent all of the poorest or the poorest europeans to settle down in the state that offers the most benefits ?????
post #36 of 46
IDK in the UK they tell people if they move anywhere in the EU they will get the same benefits as someone from that country. Maybe there is a time of overlap, I'm not sure.

In the UK they have child benefit and disability payments (stuff like ASD is covered). I know in the USA they have nothing like it (that I have seen so far)

We've lived a bit all over the place, I did live in Paris once but this was years ago.

How is for parents that don't vax? or homeschool?

Is it more family oriented?

We're in the USA right now and we had to give up all of our goverment money in the UK and now paying for insurance for the kids (they won't give me insurance ) I know we can afford it but I was using that money before to save for the kids.

Is the child benefits really more in France, or is it a myth?

We're limited because of DD's and mine conditions, we aren't allowed to get a visa for Oz or canada so we're going to have to head back to the EU.

Is renting that hard if you have savings and your own company? My DH has his own company. I know in Belgium and Holland it was easy to rent

Sorry bout all the questions
post #37 of 46
Is the child benefits really more in France, or is it a myth?

If you have more than one child you receive 123 euros per month for 2 kids, 282 euros per month for 3 kids, 441 euros per months for 4 kids etc ...
this is the basic Allocation Familiales

the AF can be cumulated with other allowances that either depend on your income (for exemple, l'allocation de base from birth to 3 years of age that is 177 euros per month but it depends on your income, for a one income family with one child, no more than 32 800 euros per year, with 2 kids, no more than 39 376 per year, with 3 kids, 47 251 euros per year, for a dual income family, with one child, no more than 43 363 euros per year, with 2 kids, no more than 49 926 euros per year etc ....)

or depend on your status = you stopped working after the second child to take care of your children (like the complement de libre choix d'activité) and can also then receive 374 euros per month until the youngest child is 3, but then you need to have worked 8 trimesters of equivalent within a certain time frame before you stop working to take care of your children ....

renting with savings/your own company
I suppose it will be easier to find a rental if you have your own company and sizeable savings ... BUT most private landlord will weed out applicants who don't appear to have a permanent salaried position ....

local expat communities often have expatriates trying to rent out accomodation and who might be less frightened to rent to a foreigner & someone from the same country ...

+ furnished appartements have different sets of rules and might be marginally easier to find -although very few in numbers- as a foreigner without a "contrat de travail" to produce ...

strictly speaking very few vaccinations are compulsory in France; just 3 I believe dyphtérie, tetanos and polio (the BCG is no longer compulsory for entering daycare and school, that is recent, just a year or two old ...)...I'm not sure what's the position for schools accepting or not non vaccinated children ....
post #38 of 46
Are they compulsory as is everyone needs them or just for school? We're homeschooling.

I don't think there could be an issue about not having a contract since our business is pretty profitable. I'd hope they would see we could pay the rent. Or maybe just pay upfront? We've done that before.

DH lived in the south of france once and said he had no problems. I'd not rent furnished, we have our own stuff

I guess I need to look at areas and see if anything tickles my fancy. Any suggetions on rental sites?
post #39 of 46
where's my reply to you ? ... spent about 20 min typing this afternoon and cannot see it .... must have pressed the wrong key again at the end ....

can't stay now but will come back to reply asap
post #40 of 46
second post that gets erased, it's not my day !!!
the little one just got up, must go now ....
will try posting again when the children are asleep ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: France
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Europe › France › Moving to France and clueless..