or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › how often do you get this nosey question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how often do you get this nosey question - Page 2

post #21 of 35
I get asked all of the time...and sometimes straight out if I used fertility medication! I imagine if my triplet would have lived it would have been even worse.

People are rude and inquisitive.
post #22 of 35
When they were infants, I got it alot, especially since there were a few years between my oldest and my littles. Now, not so much.
post #23 of 35
I've been asked often if my twins are "natural" but since I've got four other kids running around I suppose most people assume we just breed like rabbits. I get asked more often if twins run in my family (they do not).
post #24 of 35
I have had people insist that I must have twins somewhere in my family-like I don't know. Despite the fact that both sets are MZ and it's not hereditary, people love to tell me I'm wrong sometimes! And yes, they ask about fertility treatments too. I even had my aunt accuse me of lying about fertility treatments after I had the first set. (I had a 3yo and 1yo when the first set was born so fertility was not really on my mind! It's a miracle we had time to have sex at all.)
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
I am currently undergoing fertility treatment, which of course increases my chances of getting multiples. We don't discuss our fertility issues irl, which has made me ponder how I would deal with nosey questions (if I get pg, and it's twins, for example). So how often do people ask you if you were having fertility treatment or taking fertility drugs when you got pregnant with your twins or triplets? And if they do ask, what do you say?
I got that question both when we were PG, as well as afterward. I'm a snarky brat, and I told people that DH was the only fertility treatment I needed.

Bratty, yes, but honestly ..... it's no one's business how you conceive. Next thing you know, they'll be asking me details ....

Best of luck to you!
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
I have had people insist that I must have twins somewhere in my family-like I don't know. Despite the fact that both sets are MZ and it's not hereditary, people love to tell me I'm wrong sometimes! And yes, they ask about fertility treatments too. I even had my aunt accuse me of lying about fertility treatments after I had the first set. (I had a 3yo and 1yo when the first set was born so fertility was not really on my mind! It's a miracle we had time to have sex at all.)
off topic .... but I'm so glad you posted that both sets are MZ ... I've been dying to ask you, but felt it was rude
post #27 of 35
We've been asked 5 or 6 times if they were a result of fertility treatments. They're not, but I haven't been overly specific with anyone - it's none of their business!
post #28 of 35
I am asked this all the time!! Usually, it's the more polite version "do twins run in the family?". When that is asked, I can usually deflect on how it's going to be new to us all. However, several have flat out asked if we went thru fertility and ivf. Depending on the asker, I taper my answer. Since I am absolutely horrible at lying, the minimum I will say is that "yes, we needed help, which did increase my chance of multiples". It is hard because I have been judged by people, who I thought were good friends, for undergoing what we had to in order to conceive. Thank God my mom had a good friend, of the same faith, who's daughter went thru everything before I started. Otherwise, I fear the judgement that may have even come from her. Ugh.
post #29 of 35
Usually it's the run in your family question but I get the "were you taking anything alot" too. Funny thing is it's usually from other twin moms and it seems know one knows how random MZ twins are!
post #30 of 35
It's funny, I have never been asked if it was fertility treatments but I am very often asked if they run in the family.... I never thought of it as a sneaky way of asking, and I am not sure if most people ask it in a sneaky way, but now you have me thinking!
post #31 of 35
I get asked that all the time. I guess I'm snarky, because my response is usually, "I was 22yo and single when I got pregnant. I had just graduated from college and was working as a waitress. What do you think?"
post #32 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
I am asked this all the time!! Usually, it's the more polite version "do twins run in the family?". When that is asked, I can usually deflect on how it's going to be new to us all. However, several have flat out asked if we went thru fertility and ivf. Depending on the asker, I taper my answer. Since I am absolutely horrible at lying, the minimum I will say is that "yes, we needed help, which did increase my chance of multiples". It is hard because I have been judged by people, who I thought were good friends, for undergoing what we had to in order to conceive. Thank God my mom had a good friend, of the same faith, who's daughter went thru everything before I started. Otherwise, I fear the judgement that may have even come from her. Ugh.
Oh, that's so crummy that people are jerks to you about it!! And after all you've been through! This is part of why I share nothing IRL. Take good care, what's your ddc so I can better stalk you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I get asked that all the time. I guess I'm snarky, because my response is usually, "I was 22yo and single when I got pregnant. I had just graduated from college and was working as a waitress. What do you think?"
Good answer!!
post #33 of 35
My twins are 3.5 and I've only been asked once if we used fertility treatments. Actually she didn't even ask, she just told me she had assumed. But I get the "do twins run in your family" question all the time.
post #34 of 35
i get asked all the time if they run in the family... and i am certain that more than half the time people are thinking they're from fertility meds. which they were. but not their business!

i think i'm going to start telling people YES they do run in my family! i am a twin, my mom AND dad are twins, and my husband is a twin, too! plus, my three other siblings are triplets!
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisie31 View Post
I haven't been asked about fertility treatments out right but everyone asks if twins run in my family. Sneaky way to ask I guess. Perhaps people are just interested to know if they do or not.

Good luck on your cycle

Dena
This is us, we get asked about twins running in our familes all the time. I generally say "yep, on both sides." Cause they *do*, but I know it's the fertility treatments. Just a much easier answer, I guess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting Multiples
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › how often do you get this nosey question