or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke - Page 6

post #101 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
This is really scary. We MUST be living in different worlds.

Jaywalking is illegal, too. Do you call the police when you see that happening? I saw a man race across the street to keep a kid on his bike from going into the street. I suppose he should pay the fine, though - because he's not supposed to jaywalk.

What about parking in front of a fire hydrant? That's illegal, too. I saw a woman once park at the hospital in front of a fire hydrant, leave her car running. I don't know why - maybe her child was just brought in from camp after having a seizure. Maybe her husband was just in a horrible car accident. I didn't call the police. One of our nurses actually went out, moved the car, and found the woman to give her her car keys back.

Does it make these people "bad citizens"? Hardly.

In REAL LIFE, there is NO such thing as "black and white." There's no way for us to know the whole story, so there's no way for us to be able to say something so concretely.

laurelg, very well put. Civil disobedience is a foundation of this country - and an honorable one.

I agree that she shouldn't be inconvenienced in the meantime. That's why we're coming up with REAL solutions to get rid of the smell - because unless he's a MAJOR grower, the cops have bigger fish to fry, I think.
OK, I understand the point you ladies are making, but how is a someone getting high and endangering his neighbors an act of civil disobedience? Are you seriously saying this guy is Patrick Henry or Henry David Thoreau? This thread has taken an interesting philosophical turn, but IMO has veered far from the OPs situation. We're not talking about some community organizer who's having a smoke-in to affect change, we're talking about some random stoner who's trying to make some money, and in the process is opening up the OP to major inconvenience, not to mention physical hazard. The OP has recourse because no matter what our opinions may be about pot smoking and growing, it's illegal.
post #102 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
Actually, Thomas Jefferson grew pot.
Really? I never heard that. But...so what? He also owned slaves. Neither act was illegal in his time period.
post #103 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
OK, I understand the point you ladies are making, but how is a someone getting high and endangering his neighbors an act of civil disobedience? Are you seriously saying this guy is Patrick Henry or Henry David Thoreau? This thread has taken an interesting philosophical turn, but IMO has veered far from the OPs situation. We're not talking about some community organizer who's having a smoke-in to affect change, we're talking about some random stoner who's trying to make some money, and in the process is opening up the OP to major inconvenience, not to mention physical hazard. The OP has recourse because no matter what our opinions may be about pot smoking and growing, it's illegal.
I still don't get how he's endangering his neighbors. I just don't see that point. The "fresher" smell can be packing with new weed - it's not PROOF the guy's growing. The energy audit can be that for some reason, their neighbor leaves all the lights on all the time, and it's hooked up to their electric bill. It can be thousands of things. We have NO proof that this guy is a major grower here - just conjecture.

I agree that the OP has recourse - she can change the situation by confronting him and coming up with a solution. Which is what we're advocating for. We're making the "civil disobedience" point because SO many people are "It's illegal! Call the cops!" When in reality, the cops won't do anything unless he's a major grower, either.

Also, have you SEEN grow houses? You cannot live in them. There are plants and apparati floor-to-ceiling. 6 plants for personal use isn't GROWING. Google "marijuana grow house" and you'll see how almost-ridiculous this line of thinking is. He's not going to answer the door if he's a grower.

Calling the cops isn't a solution, because they probably won't care unless he's growing. Big time.
post #104 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Really? I never heard that. But...so what? He also owned slaves. Neither act was illegal in his time period.
I'm not posting to comment on the legality, I'm just finding it amusing that people are invoking our founding fathers in this argument when several of them grew and smoked pot.

There seems to be two different threads here - the OP's situation and the Great Pot Debate that happens every time someone references MJ on here. I agree that the OP's neighbor is being disrespectful and inconsiderate - especially if it does turn out that he's growing - but as far as the other aspect of this thread, I strongly disagree with the "good citizens follow all the laws all the time" and the "black and white" sentiments I'm reading.

Oh, and a neighbor smoking up will not cause someone to test positive.
post #105 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I still don't get how he's endangering his neighbors. I just don't see that point. The "fresher" smell can be packing with new weed - it's not PROOF the guy's growing. The energy audit can be that for some reason, their neighbor leaves all the lights on all the time, and it's hooked up to their electric bill. It can be thousands of things. We have NO proof that this guy is a major grower here - just conjecture.

I agree that the OP has recourse - she can change the situation by confronting him and coming up with a solution. Which is what we're advocating for. We're making the "civil disobedience" point because SO many people are "It's illegal! Call the cops!" When in reality, the cops won't do anything unless he's a major grower, either.

Also, have you SEEN grow houses? You cannot live in them. There are plants and apparati floor-to-ceiling. 6 plants for personal use isn't GROWING. Google "marijuana grow house" and you'll see how almost-ridiculous this line of thinking is. He's not going to answer the door if he's a grower.

Calling the cops isn't a solution, because they probably won't care unless he's growing. Big time.
You know, I don't even know why I'm arguing here, but I can't seem to stop myself! Basically, my argument is the law breaking, I'm taking issue that some laws are better than others and should be followed, and the idea that everyone who breaks the law is channeling the spirit of our forefathers. I've known too many potheads, lol.

But anyway, re: your last point, I respectfully so disagree b/c the cops have no way of knowing until they investigate, and they will assume the worst rather than the best for their own safety. How many threads have we seen here where CPS is called over some minor infraction, and even though everyone knows it's bogus, there are procedures that have to be followed. No matter what we feel about illegal drug use, the authorities feel differently when they're doing their job. My old boyfriend's brother was growing in their crawl space--come on, how many plants could that be? And he was a very nice mellow young man IMO. But they came in w/ the battering ram (which they didn't have to use), cut off the power and water, tore up the house looking for drugs and money etc etc because that's in their manual or whatever on how they do it.

I don't know what this guy is doing, it may be as you say ie nothing, and I'm veering from my original point which is the whole law thing.
post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
This is really scary. We MUST be living in different worlds.

Jaywalking is illegal, too. Do you call the police when you see that happening? I saw a man race across the street to keep a kid on his bike from going into the street. I suppose he should pay the fine, though - because he's not supposed to jaywalk.

What about parking in front of a fire hydrant? That's illegal, too. I saw a woman once park at the hospital in front of a fire hydrant, leave her car running. I don't know why - maybe her child was just brought in from camp after having a seizure. Maybe her husband was just in a horrible car accident. I didn't call the police. One of our nurses actually went out, moved the car, and found the woman to give her her car keys back.

Does it make these people "bad citizens"? Hardly.

In REAL LIFE, there is NO such thing as "black and white." There's no way for us to know the whole story, so there's no way for us to be able to say something so concretely.

laurelg, very well put. Civil disobedience is a foundation of this country - and an honorable one.

I agree that she shouldn't be inconvenienced in the meantime. That's why we're coming up with REAL solutions to get rid of the smell - because unless he's a MAJOR grower, the cops have bigger fish to fry, I think.
Well, then you get into the whole "victimless crime" argument. Is potsmoking a victimless crime? It can be. But what if she wants a job wherein she is required to go for a drug test? What is she supposed to say at her positive result?

"Oh, my neighbor did it."

And I disagree that there is no such thing as black and white. There is. And in your saying so, you just made it so.
post #107 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
I'm not posting to comment on the legality, I'm just finding it amusing that people are invoking our founding fathers in this argument when several of them grew and smoked pot.
Especially since growing, smoking, and/or distributing pot wasn't an act of civil or criminal disobedience in the 1700's. I understand the link people are trying to make between breaking the law and the FF's, not so clear on the FF's being pot heads, unless it's to point out the pervasiveness of mj?
post #108 of 175
If you want to engage in civil disobedience to make a point - that is absolutely fine - but you need to do it out in the open and be willing at accept the consequences.

A drug addict sitting on his couch smoking dope all day long (and yes, if he is using several times a day I would absolutely classify him as an addict), and an irritated mom not reporting him to the authorities is hardly a righteous act of civil disobedience.

And while this person may not be anything more than an annoyance to the OP right now, it's only a matter of time before a run to the local fast food outlet sounds like a great idea and he kills someone while driving high.
post #109 of 175
Why is it more righteous and noble if someone is on a big public crusade to change the world than if they just live their life as they choose? Should everyone who breaks an unjust law do that? Every underground homebirth midwife using family? Everyone who chooses not to vax their dog for rabies? Everyone who buys raw milk from a farmer in a state where it's banned? Really? Seriously?
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
Actually, Thomas Jefferson grew pot.
And owned slaves.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the whole pot should/should not be legal thing, but using "Thomas Jefferson did it" and "this country was founded on" arguments cuts both ways. Thomas Jefferson did a lot of wackadoo things and this country wasn't exactly founded on wholesome values of equality (much as your 5th grade teacher would like you to believe) and personal freedom for all.

But I still think the OP should just let the guy know exactly what a big problem is, then talk to the landlord. TO ME, it's not worth calling the police if the guy just smokes a lot - especially if he'll manage his smoke. I do think if he's growing and it's costing HER money, that's a problem. As for selling, she's not mentioned anything about that so I'll assume it's not an issue.

We had duplex neighbors who were selling (A LOT) in college and that WAS a problem. One of the guys told us his dad was a judge so he just got arrested and turned out over and over. Massive inconvenience for us. He didn't seem that bothered.
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
And while this person may not be anything more than an annoyance to the OP right now, it's only a matter of time before a run to the local fast food outlet sounds like a great idea and he kills someone while driving high.
This is probably going to open up a whole new can of worms, yk.

But on this one, I have to agree. I have a sister who classifies as an addict. I know, many people do not think you can become physically addicted to MJ, but I am here to say that a person can become psychologically addicted to it. My sister used to smoke up and then drive around with her daughter, running errands or whatever. I only went with her one time. It scared the $*^@!! out of me. She loved to say how she drove so much better when she was stoned because it took all the stress out of dealing with other drivers.

She was so... um... mellow?... though, that I was afraid she was going to drive right off a bridge or into a tree, smiling and nodding about the stress-free ride the whole time. Really scary.

This thread has been very interesting... all kinds of arguments from different points of view. I hope, though, that the OP can get her problem solved through the landlord and won't have to deal with the smell anymore... which is, after all, the original issue here... I think...
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
Well, then you get into the whole "victimless crime" argument. Is potsmoking a victimless crime? It can be. But what if she wants a job wherein she is required to go for a drug test? What is she supposed to say at her positive result?

"Oh, my neighbor did it."
Columbia University disagrees with you.

Quote:
And I disagree that there is no such thing as black and white. There is. And in your saying so, you just made it so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
If you want to engage in civil disobedience to make a point - that is absolutely fine - but you need to do it out in the open and be willing at accept the consequences.
I can totally respect that. I agree that he should be staging smoke-ins somewhere. Should all of the gay men be having sex in public to get rid of sodomy laws, though? Just saying, that while I agree to an extent in this case, it doesn't always apply. Sometimes, just the number of people doing something privately DOES make a difference - less calls to the cops = less enforcement of a dumb law.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
A drug addict sitting on his couch smoking dope all day long (and yes, if he is using several times a day I would absolutely classify him as an addict), and an irritated mom not reporting him to the authorities is hardly a righteous act of civil disobedience.
Addiction implies dependence. The OP already said that it wasn't all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
And while this person may not be anything more than an annoyance to the OP right now, it's only a matter of time before a run to the local fast food outlet sounds like a great idea and he kills someone while driving high.


Wow. Just wow.

Maybe if we were talking about heroin - an ADDICTIVE drug. Most likely not about pot.
post #113 of 175
WikiAnswers isn't exactly a great source. I've posted responses to questions there myself, so anyone can do it.

Seriously though, regardless of your views on marijuana I find it really difficult to buy the argument that it's "not addictive". Psychologically, physically, who cares - it can still be an addiction.

I'm a food addict. I refuse to let someone tell me that "food's not addictive".

Again, nothing to do with my views on marijuana in general, but I am tired of hearing the "marijuana is not addictive" argument.
post #114 of 175
I have not read all the responses but I had the same problem at my last apartment. My neighbors smoked pot in their bedroom right next to my bedroom and right when I was trying to go to sleep. I found it came in the strongest around the plug outlets in the walls next to their apartment. My solution was to take off the outlet covers and place saran wrap over the whole thing, put the covers back on and just punch the plug back into the outlet. I'm extremely sensitive to smoke or strong smells and I found that definitely lessened the effect in my place.

I'm not sure how else I would handle the neighbor, especially since you already talked to him. If my neighbor came to me with a problem, and were very nice about it, I would make every effort to make sure I fixed it. I wouldn't be the same if they just banged on the wall or yelled or were rude about it. I can be rude right back but if someone is nice to me I will do just about anything to please them. Not all people are like me but I would try to be nice about it or you may end up creating way bigger problems for yourself down the road.

Sorry if any of this has been repeated. Good luck.
post #115 of 175
Most likely. Extreme second hand exposure can produce a positive. I'll post some refuting info in a bit.
post #116 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
WikiAnswers isn't exactly a great source. I've posted responses to questions there myself, so anyone can do it.

Seriously though, regardless of your views on marijuana I find it really difficult to buy the argument that it's "not addictive". Psychologically, physically, who cares - it can still be an addiction.

I'm a food addict. I refuse to let someone tell me that "food's not addictive".

Again, nothing to do with my views on marijuana in general, but I am tired of hearing the "marijuana is not addictive" argument.
I get that. I'm sure you can respect that as an occasional pot smoker, I'm tired of hearing that I'm stupid enough to endanger my child's life and that of other people around me - just by virtue of smoking pot. I'm apparently a public menace.

Again, I'd like to reiterate the difference between "addictive" and "habituating". I'm so tired of having to explain that.
post #117 of 175
getting the police involved is ridiculous. pot wasn't made illegal to protect people from second hand smoke and that's this guys only PROVEN offense to you.

What i would do is keep on him. Every time I smelled it I would ring his doorbell and tell him. EVERY TIME. So it really sinks in. I'd tell him company could smell it when they come over (if they can). I'd tell him my kids were talking about the smell (if they are). Let him know that him smoking in his house really is no big secret.

don't bother re: contacting him when he is not high. most potheads are not braindead. that's a stereotype. he is able to understand what you are saying. he is able to take it to heart. even when he's high. he AS A PERSON just has to care enough...which i'm sure he will if you're interrupting his sessions three-four-five times per day.

potheads are only inherently criminals in the legal sense. in reality we just unwind via different avenues than your drinker, eater or cig smoker.
post #118 of 175
When Thomas jefferson owned slaves, it was legal. Which doesn't make it right. Just like making pot illegal doesn't make it a "bad" thing. It's still a plant that grows naturally. And for many years was completely okay in the US, until....well....you might want to educate yourselves on that so that you can stop believing the "War on Drugs" propaganda.

Please read this: It explains a lot:

http://www.jackherer.com/chapter01.html
post #119 of 175
What IS the difference between "addictive" and "habituating?" Beyond semantics, I mean.

I always think that anyone who swears that pot isn't addictive has never lived with a wake-n-baker, has never worked with anyone (in an office job!) who got high EVERY lunch time, never lived next door to a dealer, never had a roommate who ran out of weed, couldn't get hold of her dealer, decided to get some on the corner and brought some random dealer back into your apt to get high at 11pm on a wednesday night.

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and not all smokers are addicts (or habituals, I guess) but to say that pot is safe and everyone who smokes it is some kind of civil rights hero is naive.
post #120 of 175
Just because someone can make something addictive or habitual doesn't mean it should be outlawed. In that line of thinking, why not make anything and everything that could possibly become addictive into a criminal activity? Sweets, coffee, cigarettes, etc........I seriously doubt there is a person alive who doesn't do *something* habitually.
Doesn't make any sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke