or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke - Page 7

post #121 of 175
imho....

addictive is usually referring to a physical or psychological NEED to do something.

habitual is doing something repetitively because it's part of your routine.

i think for some people pot could probably be physically or psychologically addictive...but i think those people probably have addictive personalities. or just different chemistry. people are different.

otherwise, wake and baking is like your cup of coffee in the morning. you don't actually need it to wake up and get to work...but you like it because you feel it centers you, starts your day, and you are used to the routine of doing it.

Not being able to wouldn't hurt you. You would still be functioning. unless you refused to let go of the fact that you didn't get your coffee/joint and let it ruin your day. like constantly focusing on the fact that your routine was upset, rather than just chalking it up to having to go get some more.

(ftr--i don't drink coffee...perhaps coffee drinkers do get addicted...replace coffee with anything you do...taking a shower/bath after a long day, checking out the mothering forums, doing the dishes immediately after dinner...whatever.)

sorry smeisnotapirate...i had to explain, although i know how frustrating explaining that a billion times over can be.
post #122 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
What's scary to me is that there are people in this country who don't think the laws they disagree with should apply to them.
If I saw someone stealing a car or carrying a gun into a bank, I'd call the police. I don't see how anyone can justify turning a blind eye to *some* illegal activities and not to others. The law is the law, like it or not. Good citizens follow the rules.
Thank you.
post #123 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
What IS the difference between "addictive" and "habituating?" Beyond semantics, I mean.

I always think that anyone who swears that pot isn't addictive has never lived with a wake-n-baker, has never worked with anyone (in an office job!) who got high EVERY lunch time, never lived next door to a dealer, never had a roommate who ran out of weed, couldn't get hold of her dealer, decided to get some on the corner and brought some random dealer back into your apt to get high at 11pm on a wednesday night.

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and not all smokers are addicts (or habituals, I guess) but to say that pot is safe and everyone who smokes it is some kind of civil rights hero is naive.
i think you're roommate probably had issues beyond smoking pot. inviting street corner drug dealers back to your house is just dumb. perhaps she was suffering from stupidity or naivete rather than addiction.
post #124 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Personally I don't see how it's ethical to turn him in for smoking pot on his couch OR growing.
I don't know if I'd do it or not, but I think it's ethical to turn him in for growing. If that's what's going on, he's stealing the OP's electricity, which is illegal and unethical.
post #125 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
imho....

addictive is usually referring to a physical or psychological NEED to do something.

habitual is doing something repetitively because it's part of your routine.

i think for some people pot could probably be physically or psychologically addictive...but i think those people probably have addictive personalities. or just different chemistry. people are different.

otherwise, wake and baking is like your cup of coffee in the morning. you don't actually need it to wake up and get to work...but you like it because you feel it centers you, starts your day, and you are used to the routine of doing it.

Not being able to wouldn't hurt you. You would still be functioning. unless you refused to let go of the fact that you didn't get your coffee/joint and let it ruin your day. like constantly focusing on the fact that your routine was upset, rather than just chalking it up to having to go get some more.

(ftr--i don't drink coffee...perhaps coffee drinkers do get addicted...replace coffee with anything you do...taking a shower/bath after a long day, checking out the mothering forums, doing the dishes immediately after dinner...whatever.)

sorry smeisnotapirate...i had to explain, although i know how frustrating explaining that a billion times over can be.
Thanks for doing that - I'm just glad it wasn't ME who had to explain.

Have those of you who are saying that pot is addictive SEEN people on REAL addictive drugs? It's called withdrawal - which has been proven to NOT happen with pot. Withdrawal is serious and dangerous - it's a biological reaction to NOT having the active chemical in your body.

If you tell a pothead "Sorry, no more pot," he's going to either say "Aww, d@mn," or call a friend to see if HE has any. He'll probably whine - it depends on his personality. You tell a crackhead "Sorry, no more crack," you may get killed.

Anyone ever seen someone addicted to prescription drugs? I had a gun pulled on me in the pharmacy because we were out of Vicodin and this addict came in to fill his 'script. I stared down the barrel of a gun held in a shaking hand until he started to shake and cry and convulse.

THAT is addiction, people. Wake-and-baking is not.
post #126 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I don't know if I'd do it or not, but I think it's ethical to turn him in for growing. If that's what's going on, he's stealing the OP's electricity, which is illegal and unethical.
At that point, I'd turn him in for theft. Doesn't matter WHY he's stealing her electric - he is. And THAT is the crime.
post #127 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
What's scary to me is that there are people in this country who don't think the laws they disagree with should apply to them.

Drummer's Wife - it is VERY black and white. It's illegal. Bottom line.

If I saw someone stealing a car or carrying a gun into a bank, I'd call the police. I don't see how anyone can justify turning a blind eye to *some* illegal activities and not to others. The law is the law, like it or not. Good citizens follow the rules.

my dad has this attitude. unbelievable. laws are changed all the time. i guess it's easy to stay on the right side of the law if it doesn't directly compete with your lifestyle. Which is great for you, but not great for people who differ in their views. There are millions of people in America. Only a handful of them make the laws. Conveniently, they are typically above the law...so they don't have to worry about it.

shall i bring up slavery, Holocaust and other "legal" genocides, environmental destruction, child abuse?? these are all things that are/were legal in one way or another. so should we just all throw up our arms and give up fighting the ideologies that paved the way for them?

the dude smoking on his couch is not a martyr...but he's not necessarily a bad person either.

in my opinion good citizens are those that respect others. this guy isn't being a good citizen. but he's not doing enough to justify throwing him in jail...or fining him massive amounts of money that could seriously effect his financial situation.

hey...maybe if we treat him as a bad citizen and take his life away by calling the cops then he'll turn to drinking or crack and KILL SOMEONE. Then we can point fingers and say we knew he was terrible all along.

sorry that was rambly. i must be high.
post #128 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
The OP, in the meantime, does not nor should not have to be inconvenienced while he strives for change.
If he were chain smoking cigarettes, or had a house full of friends smoking all day, the OP would be every bit as inconvenienced, and it would be totally legal. Unless this guy is just a complete UAV, and will resist any and every attempt to resolve this in any other way, I can't even imagine calling the police.

I see little, if any, inherent connection between "illegal" and "unethical/immoral".
post #129 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
otherwise, wake and baking is like your cup of coffee in the morning. you don't actually need it to wake up and get to work...but you like it because you feel it centers you, starts your day, and you are used to the routine of doing it.

Not being able to wouldn't hurt you. You would still be functioning. unless you refused to let go of the fact that you didn't get your coffee/joint and let it ruin your day. like constantly focusing on the fact that your routine was upset, rather than just chalking it up to having to go get some more.
Right, because you can stop any time? I'll say it again: clearly, we have not known the same kind of pot smokers.

Re: the OP's problem, her neighbor is being kind of a jerk, and she has recourse because what he's doing IS illegal, however much you all think it shouldn't be. So why shouldn't she use that as a lever to get him stop polluting her home? He knows it's illegal AND against the lease and he doesn't bother to cover himself.
post #130 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Thanks for doing that - I'm just glad it wasn't ME who had to explain.

Have those of you who are saying that pot is addictive SEEN people on REAL addictive drugs? It's called withdrawal - which has been proven to NOT happen with pot. Withdrawal is serious and dangerous - it's a biological reaction to NOT having the active chemical in your body.

If you tell a pothead "Sorry, no more pot," he's going to either say "Aww, d@mn," or call a friend to see if HE has any. He'll probably whine - it depends on his personality. You tell a crackhead "Sorry, no more crack," you may get killed.

Anyone ever seen someone addicted to prescription drugs? I had a gun pulled on me in the pharmacy because we were out of Vicodin and this addict came in to fill his 'script. I stared down the barrel of a gun held in a shaking hand until he started to shake and cry and convulse.

THAT is addiction, people. Wake-and-baking is not.


:
Thank you. I have seen my brother go thru heroin withdrawl and it is close to death. Right now he is on the "legal" drug methadone. If he were to stop taking that every morning, he would go thu utter and complete hell.

Pot has never and will never make you feel that way when you don't have any.
post #131 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
Right, because you can stop any time? I'll say it again: clearly, we have not known the same kind of pot smokers.

Re: the OP's problem, her neighbor is being kind of a jerk, and she has recourse because what he's doing IS illegal, however much you all think it shouldn't be. So why shouldn't she use that as a lever to get him stop polluting her home? He knows it's illegal AND against the lease and he doesn't bother to cover himself.
Clearly we haven't.

You're right. She has recourse. That's why I think the idea of ringing the doorbell every time he tokes up is a great solution. Maybe it'll get him paranoid enough about it that he'll start actually figuring out ways to smoke that are less smelly (and consequently, are healthier for his lungs ), which will solve the OP's problem.
post #132 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
I always think that anyone who swears that pot isn't addictive has never lived with a wake-n-baker...
You're wrong about that. I say pot isn't addictive, and I've lived with a hardcore pot-head. It's one of the (many) factors that broke up my first marriage. However, in the sense that you're talking about, anything is potentially addictive, and the term loses all meaning.
post #133 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
And while this person may not be anything more than an annoyance to the OP right now, it's only a matter of time before a run to the local fast food outlet sounds like a great idea and he kills someone while driving high.
Yeah, not likely. Pot isn't like alcohol. I can always tell that a speaker has never been high when they reference being high as this complete mind fu** that leaves you plastered to the couch drooling, or driving around mowing over old ladies, or freaking out and playing jazz piano really fast and jumping out windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post
This is probably going to open up a whole new can of worms, yk.

I hope, though, that the OP can get her problem solved through the landlord and won't have to deal with the smell anymore... which is, after all, the original issue here... I think...
ITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
What IS the difference between "addictive" and "habituating?" Beyond semantics, I mean.
here is the dictionary
addictive: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

I've never heard of pot withdraw symptom. weight loss maybe.

Habituating
1 : to make used to something : accustom
2 : frequent

I do believe that MJ isn't physically addicting, but you can become psychologically addicted to anything.

I think hes growing. Not grow house style, but something small scale. Even the small plants can smell pretty strongly!
post #134 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
...but to say that pot is safe and everyone who smokes it is some kind of civil rights hero is naive.
I don't think anyone here said that everyone who smokes pot is a civil rights hero. People were simply refuting the idea that pot smokers are all addicts and criminals (other in the technical sense that an asinine anti-pot law exists). A lot of pot smokers are perfectly ordinary, every day people who choose to use pot in a recreational way...no bigger a deal, and no more of an indicator of criminal tendencies, than when I have a glass of wine with dinner.
post #135 of 175
I used to routinely wake and bake. Then I got a "real" job and didn't anymore. No issues at all-frankly I suffered more when I stopped drinking coffee for a while. I had such bad headaches I went back to drinking my usual two cups a day.

I do understand the OP's situation. My neighbors sit out on their porch and smoke cigerettes all night. And the one guy is on oxygen and had his left lobe removed!! The smoke drifts in my open windows. I find cig smoking to be really gross but there is not much I can do about it other then close my windows.

Maybe your neighbor couild get one of those smokeless ashtrays?
post #136 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabetsoup View Post
Right, because you can stop any time? I'll say it again: clearly, we have not known the same kind of pot smokers.
I have. My ex would do exactly that. And, sorry - but he had issues - a library's worth of issues. Pot was only one of them, and not even the most major. Every problem pot smoker I've ever known (a small fraction of the total) has had serious personality problems that fall/fell right into line with their habit. My ex, for instance, is a moral coward, who will never do something that he finds personally hard, no matter what it costs those around him. He's also totally - 100% - unwilling to take any responsibility for himself or his actions...and those things don't change, whether he's recently smoked pot or not.
post #137 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I see little, if any, inherent connection between "illegal" and "unethical/immoral".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I don't think anyone here said that everyone who smokes pot is a civil rights hero. People were simply refuting the idea that pot smokers are all addicts and criminals (other in the technical sense that an asinine anti-pot law exists). A lot of pot smokers are perfectly ordinary, every day people who choose to use pot in a recreational way...no bigger a deal, and no more of an indicator of criminal tendencies, than when I have a glass of wine with dinner.
exactly.

It just truly amazes me that people would honestly call law enforcement over the smell of Marijuana. Growing and/or selling are entirely different issues. But it is scary, to me, that anyone with common sense would involve the police over something that is not putting their family at risk - all because it's illegal. I just don't get that thought process.
post #138 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
getting the police involved is ridiculous. pot wasn't made illegal to protect people from second hand smoke and that's this guys only PROVEN offense to you.

What i would do is keep on him. Every time I smelled it I would ring his doorbell and tell him. EVERY TIME. So it really sinks in. I'd tell him company could smell it when they come over (if they can). I'd tell him my kids were talking about the smell (if they are). Let him know that him smoking in his house really is no big secret.

don't bother re: contacting him when he is not high. most potheads are not braindead. that's a stereotype. he is able to understand what you are saying. he is able to take it to heart. even when he's high. he AS A PERSON just has to care enough...which i'm sure he will if you're interrupting his sessions three-four-five times per day.

potheads are only inherently criminals in the legal sense. in reality we just unwind via different avenues than your drinker, eater or cig smoker.
Very well put and very diplomatic. *IF* pot smoke bothered me THIS is what I'd do.

"a matter of time before he runs someone over..." pftt, **that's** so stupid!!!!!
post #139 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
my dad has this attitude. unbelievable. laws are changed all the time. i guess it's easy to stay on the right side of the law if it doesn't directly compete with your lifestyle. Which is great for you, but not great for people who differ in their views. There are millions of people in America. Only a handful of them make the laws. Conveniently, they are typically above the law...so they don't have to worry about it.

shall i bring up slavery, Holocaust and other "legal" genocides, environmental destruction, child abuse?? these are all things that are/were legal in one way or another. so should we just all throw up our arms and give up fighting the ideologies that paved the way for them?

the dude smoking on his couch is not a martyr...but he's not necessarily a bad person either.

in my opinion good citizens are those that respect others. this guy isn't being a good citizen. but he's not doing enough to justify throwing him in jail...or fining him massive amounts of money that could seriously effect his financial situation.

hey...maybe if we treat him as a bad citizen and take his life away by calling the cops then he'll turn to drinking or crack and KILL SOMEONE. Then we can point fingers and say we knew he was terrible all along.

sorry that was rambly. i must be high.
I have no idea of he's a good or bad person and never purported to know that. He's breaking the law, though. And since we elect the people that make our laws, we have to live with the laws that are on the books or work within the legal system to change them. I mean, if I am on the freeway in the middle of the night and there's no traffic around and I choose to drive 68 MPH, even though I *know* the speed limit is 65, I have to fully accept that I am deciding to do something illegal and could be caught and punished for it.

What does slavery and child abuse being legal at one point in time have to do with a guy habitually using illegal drugs now? Are you saying you wish to return to a time when there were fewer laws and people were more free to "decide" how they wanted to conduct themselves, regardless of now negative an impact it made?
post #140 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Yeah, not likely. Pot isn't like alcohol. I can always tell that a speaker has never been high when they reference being high as this complete mind fu** that leaves you plastered to the couch drooling, or driving around mowing over old ladies, or freaking out and playing jazz piano really fast and jumping out windows
Trust me, I've both used marijuana and been around people who were using marijuana (although I have to admit we left that kind of behavior where it "belongs" - for lack of a better word - in high school!) While I appreciate that THC does not impact a person in the same way other drugs can, I would still never put my kids in a car with someone who was stoned on pot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke