or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke - Page 8

post #141 of 175
OK, OP, how long have you been smelling the weed? Can you go out and buy a drug test for yourself or go get a hair analysis to see if it is effecting you?

I say just keep working with the landlord and in the mean time get a couple fans.
post #142 of 175
This conversation is maddening. :

I'm going to go back to the OP's original probem (op's op ).

Smells are coming across the walls into her apt. How does she stop it?

The problem isn't "ZOMG, I'm living next to a pot smokr!!" She wants real solutions. She's been given some real solutions that avoid overkill and ruining a guy's life instead of giving him a second chance to be a good neighbor.

Sheesh, some people just need to show more compassion. Isn't that what being a good neighbor and good citizen is about?
post #143 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Yeah, not likely. Pot isn't like alcohol. I can always tell that a speaker has never been high when they reference being high as this complete mind fu** that leaves you plastered to the couch drooling, or driving around mowing over old ladies, or freaking out and playing jazz piano really fast and jumping out windows

ITA!
I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the implication here implies that because pot is different that it's okay to drive? The guy across the hall from me smoked pot and played video games and ate, that was his life (have no idea how he paid rent!). I had to go talk to him once and he just stared at me blankly and totally couldn't comprehend what I was telling him. I seriously doubt he would have been safe in a vehicle.

And personally, I get zippy and hyper with pot, I feel VERY similar to when I'm drunk except I also get a dizzy feeling. No way would I get in a vehicle and drive; I AM impaired. Everyone else around me is wanting to munch and there all like, "dude, come sit with us and mellow out".

Hopefully I have just misunderstood your point though.

As for the OP, I've been in the exact situation. When I lived in a 4-plex, my neighbour smoked pot daily and it came through my bathroom fan and other vents due to how the venting was run. No amount of me opening my windows or using fans was getting smell out, it was coming in every room including my 4 year olds room. The only place to escape the smell was to be outside which wasn't practical when it was -22F/-30C outside!

I talked to her MANY times, she just claimed she wasn't smoking pot, even though her eyes were glazed and red when she answered the door and her whole house smelled like it. I called the landlord, they sent the maintenance guys over to "fix" my bathroom fan. You can guess how much good that did. My 4 year old DD used to tell me, "smell that? D is smoking pot again!". I didn't find that very funny, so we used to go out for a couple hours when I smelled it and that was usually very late, at bedtime, so I'd drive around to get my DD to sleep and drive for a couple hours and come home when I was supposed to be studying.

After several months of this, we moved. It was our intention to move in a year, but due to the pot smoking we moved a year early and ended up having to borrow money for our house down payment rather than having it ready as we would have in a year.
post #144 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post
I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the implication here implies that because pot is different that it's okay to drive?
I think the implication was that whoever said that it was only a matter of time until the pot smoker killed someone by driving was being erroneous. That maybe they were confusing being fall-down drunk and high.

Honestly, most potheads can't find their keys. Or their attention span isn't long enough to remember what they're looking for even if they WANTED to drive. Of course, you're way too lazy to drive if you're really, really high.
post #145 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
I have no idea of he's a good or bad person and never purported to know that. He's breaking the law, though. And since we elect the people that make our laws, we have to live with the laws that are on the books or work within the legal system to change them. I mean, if I am on the freeway in the middle of the night and there's no traffic around and I choose to drive 68 MPH, even though I *know* the speed limit is 65, I have to fully accept that I am deciding to do something illegal and could be caught and punished for it.

What does slavery and child abuse being legal at one point in time have to do with a guy habitually using illegal drugs now? Are you saying you wish to return to a time when there were fewer laws and people were more free to "decide" how they wanted to conduct themselves, regardless of now negative an impact it made?
i was more referring to your statement that good citizens are people who follow the rules.

sometimes good citizens are those people who don't follow the rules. sometimes, being "good" has nothing to do with whether or not you follow the rules.

i am saying that in order to take those wrongs out of society...there had to be people who were going against the law. of course, there had to be people working in the "right" side of the law too...but in my learning, most movements to change laws start with illegal acts which through history are seen as acts of incredible kindness or bravery. (as in the underground railroad)

people who smoke pot are being unjustly discriminated against and the biggest factor that makes that possible is the law.
post #146 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
Isn't smoking marijuana illegal? I'd call the police. Every time. Totally unacceptable to do anything less, IMO.


Guess that depends on where you live! Out here is CA, it is a-ok if you have a prescription, and the cops will barely give you a second glance.

Anyway, who said "illegal" is bad?

There are bad laws, too, by the way.
post #147 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
i was more referring to your statement that good citizens are people who follow the rules.

sometimes good citizens are those people who don't follow the rules. sometimes, being "good" has nothing to do with whether or not you follow the rules.

i am saying that in order to take those wrongs out of society...there had to be people who were going against the law. of course, there had to be people working in the "right" side of the law too...but in my learning, most movements to change laws start with illegal acts which through history are seen as acts of incredible kindness or bravery. (as in the underground railroad)

people who smoke pot are being unjustly discriminated against and the biggest factor that makes that possible is the law.


I think we have the crux of the problem here. Some of us are confusing "good citizen" with "good person." I'd rather be a good person any day of the week.
post #148 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I think the implication was that whoever said that it was only a matter of time until the pot smoker killed someone by driving was being erroneous. That maybe they were confusing being fall-down drunk and high.

Honestly, most potheads can't find their keys. Or their attention span isn't long enough to remember what they're looking for even if they WANTED to drive. Of course, you're way too lazy to drive if you're really, really high.
I've known pot smokers who drove when they were high. I've also known lots who didn't. I found the "only a matter of time" thing more than a little annoying, myself.

That said, my ex drove with both me and ds1 in the car, when he was high, and didn't tell me. That's what I mean about his personality issues. The fact that he smoked pot - no biggie. The fact that he decided on my behalf that it was okay for me to ride with him after he smoked it - biggie. The fact that he decided for both of us that it was okay for our son to ride with him after he smoked it - super, major biggie. But, if he'd said he smoked it, I might have said something *gasp* negative.
post #149 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I've known pot smokers who drove when they were high. I've also known lots who didn't. I found the "only a matter of time" thing more than a little annoying, myself.

That said, my ex drove with both me and ds1 in the car, when he was high, and didn't tell me. That's what I mean about his personality issues. The fact that he smoked pot - no biggie. The fact that he decided on my behalf that it was okay for me to ride with him after he smoked it - biggie. The fact that he decided for both of us that it was okay for our son to ride with him after he smoked it - super, major biggie. But, if he'd said he smoked it, I might have said something *gasp* negative.
You're a patient woman. I'd probably have just killed him. :

Nobody has the right to do that to anyone. Sorry you had to live through that, but I'm glad he's your XH.
post #150 of 175
Honestly, as a bicyclist who has to contend with a lot of drivers, I'd say potheads are a LOT safer on the road. They are much more careful and aware than your average "gotta get there" sort of driver.
post #151 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post
I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the implication here implies that because pot is different that it's okay to drive? The guy across the hall from me smoked pot and played video games and ate, that was his life (have no idea how he paid rent!). I had to go talk to him once and he just stared at me blankly and totally couldn't comprehend what I was telling him. I seriously doubt he would have been safe in a vehicle.

And personally, I get zippy and hyper with pot, I feel VERY similar to when I'm drunk except I also get a dizzy feeling. No way would I get in a vehicle and drive; I AM impaired. Everyone else around me is wanting to munch and there all like, "dude, come sit with us and mellow out".

Hopefully I have just misunderstood your point though.

As for the OP, I've been in the exact situation. When I lived in a 4-plex, my neighbour smoked pot daily and it came through my bathroom fan and other vents due to how the venting was run. No amount of me opening my windows or using fans was getting smell out, it was coming in every room including my 4 year olds room. The only place to escape the smell was to be outside which wasn't practical when it was -22F/-30C outside!

I talked to her MANY times, she just claimed she wasn't smoking pot, even though her eyes were glazed and red when she answered the door and her whole house smelled like it. I called the landlord, they sent the maintenance guys over to "fix" my bathroom fan. You can guess how much good that did. My 4 year old DD used to tell me, "smell that? D is smoking pot again!". I didn't find that very funny, so we used to go out for a couple hours when I smelled it and that was usually very late, at bedtime, so I'd drive around to get my DD to sleep and drive for a couple hours and come home when I was supposed to be studying.

After several months of this, we moved. Not due to the pot smoking (I finished my degree, got a job and bought a house), BUT it did prompt me to move quicker and buy a house with less of a down payment than I wanted to put down.
1. Sounds like that guy had other problems. I know plenty of non-video game playing, working pot smokers.

2. People react to pot differently. I totally understand someone's decision not to smoke, especially if they HAVE tried it and it makes them feel too wonky.

3. If it wasn't because of the pot smoking then how is this relevant? All in all it was still your choice to move when you did. I had a neighbor who smoked cigarettes. We smelled it all the time and it bothered us immensely. But seriously, we didn't move until we were ready to move. Because 1 more year wouldn't have made that much of a difference to our lungs (we bought an air purifier as well)...but it did make a big difference on our down payment and our interest rate.
post #152 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I've known pot smokers who drove when they were high. I've also known lots who didn't. I found the "only a matter of time" thing more than a little annoying, myself.

That said, my ex drove with both me and ds1 in the car, when he was high, and didn't tell me. That's what I mean about his personality issues. The fact that he smoked pot - no biggie. The fact that he decided on my behalf that it was okay for me to ride with him after he smoked it - biggie. The fact that he decided for both of us that it was okay for our son to ride with him after he smoked it - super, major biggie. But, if he'd said he smoked it, I might have said something *gasp* negative.
agreed. ESPECIALLY if there were kids in the car or the person who i was with didn't smoke...i would not smoke and drive. just outta respect.

i chill with plenty of mommas who don't smoke. Some days i wake and bake and maintain a high all day. other days i don't smoke at all since it's not ok with the crowd i'm with. addicts can't do that. addicts don't decide from day to day if the situation is appropriate for them to do what they do. you XH def. sounds like a man with OTHER issues.

i'm glad that even though you had this experience you can still separate the substance from the person.
post #153 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
1. Sounds like that guy had other problems. I know plenty of non-video game playing, working pot smokers.
No need to defend pot smokers here. I was in no way saying this guy's lifestyle was due to his pot smoking or that all pot smokers stay home and play video games. I was just point out that this guy who DID smoke pot all day and play video games was in no shape to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
3. If it wasn't because of the pot smoking then how is this relevant? All in all it was still your choice to move when you did.
I was moving regardless, I was not moving AT THAT TIME regardless. I moved ONE year sooner than my plan due to the pot smoke. So, it WAS related. I will rephrase as I have obviously caused confusion.
post #154 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post
No need to defend pot smokers here. I was in no way saying this guy's lifestyle was due to his pot smoking or that all pot smokers stay home and play video games. I was just point out that this guy who DID smoke pot all day and play video games was in no shape to drive.

I was moving regardless, I was not moving AT THAT TIME regardless. I moved ONE year sooner than my plan due to the pot smoke. So, it WAS related. I will rephrase as I have obviously caused confusion.
ahhh...sorry then.
post #155 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
You're a patient woman. I'd probably have just killed him. :
Honestly, by the time I realized he'd done it, let alone how many times, I'd already gone through the rage part of things, and out the other side, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Nobody has the right to do that to anyone. Sorry you had to live through that, but I'm glad he's your XH.
Me, too!
post #156 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
you XH def. sounds like a man with OTHER issues.
Yeah - he was pretty much an addiction looking for a substance. I've met a couple other people like him, but he was pretty extreme.
post #157 of 175
As a former heavy pot-smoker, I just want to say that I would be pissed at my neighbor for not controlling his pot smoke from wafting into my house. In my pre-children days, if I was ever told by a neighbor, especially one with kids family that my pot-smoking was getting into their house, I would do everything possible to make sure it never happened again. It is about respect.

If it were me, I would nag the hell out of my neighbor every time I smelled pot until HE moved out of the duplex or found a new way to smoke pot. Even if that means knocking on his door 3 times a day and leaving notes everyday. I too would not want my LO to have to breath in the smell of pot all of the time.

I'd also like to say that when I was an everyday smoker I was never addicted to it. I just perferred being high, I was more creative and happy and all around a better person. In fact when I started smoking pot in high school my depression went away and I started getting straight As in school. No joke my freshman year I had like a 2.0, and when I was a senior I had a 4.0 and was Captian of sports teams and head of my yearbook, and I smoked every single day before school. I can honestly say that pot saved me from severe depression. As I became an adult I didn't need it anymore to be the person I truely am, but I certainly needed it as a teenager!

BOO for disrespecting neighbors, but YAY! for pot!
post #158 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
that's not what i've read. are you telling me that if i smoked pot morning, noon and night for 10 years solid i'd have *zero* additional risk of lung cancer?
Recent studies indicate that pot smoking may PREVENt lung cancer.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...to-lung-cancer

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...ht-lung-tumors
post #159 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
if something's illegal, it's illegal. It's really very black & white.

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.

UH, no...there's a big difference between smack, crack and smokin a flower. There are many gray areas in the law.
post #160 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
ahhh...sorry then.
No worries, I reread and my phrasing wasn't clear. Darn written words.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke