or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke - Page 4

post #61 of 175
I just thought I'd drop this here...



http://www.naturalnews.com/025696_in...ry_cancer.html
post #62 of 175
Love the cookie idea, though brownies are really my thing! Kindness and Love really can change this crazy world we in. I would continue to talk openly with him...listen to him and hopefully he'll really listen to you and where you are coming from.
post #63 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I guess not. But the generalization that pot smokers are bad people is... Hurtfull...
I agree. I haven't smoked in a long, long time, but I've known a lot of really nice people who smoked/smoke pot. Sure, I've known some nasty people who smoked it, too...but they haven't been in any greater proportion than nasty people in the non-pot smoking community, ime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
True, but pot does tend to reduce the chances that someone will act agressively too. There's a reason we are so nice to each other in BC.
I got into fights in school from about 6th grade to 9th grade. I started smoking pot at the end of 9th grade, and didn't get into any more fights. I just didn't feel so aggressive, anymore.
post #64 of 175
I really think this is up to your landlord, but you said you had already spoken with him. What was his response?
post #65 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
Why should she? Should she do the same were he smoking a pack of Merits?
Because it would solve the problem, that's why. Some people would rather actually solve their problems than be righteous at the cost of continuing to live them. To each their own.
post #66 of 175
You shouldn't have to live with the smell of someone else's habit. And you, your children, and your things shouldn't have to carry the smell . Talk to the neighbor one more time and then call the landlord every time. Threaten to break your lease if he (or she, whoever owns the apartments) doesn't enforce the no smoking rules.
post #67 of 175
I skimmed the whole thread, and I don't see anyone puzzling, as I am, over how ONE PERSON can smoke so much weed that you can smell it so frequently and so noticeably. Maybe he's smoking in some wasteful way and could tone it down? Maybe he's...hmmm... Maybe his new home business is destroying seized marijuana for the police, by burning it in his fireplace!

Two ways to diminish the smell, if he's willing, that I haven't seen here:
1. Exhale into a wet washcloth. This also catches some of the particulates from the smoke, decreasing the chance that any of them will get over to your side.
2. Set a dish of white vinegar on a table near him. Sort of absorbs the smell somehow.

You could make these suggestions, but it's up to him to cooperate, and I don't think you should have to buy him anything! Be sure to mention the concern that other neighbors might call the cops--you could even pretend that old Mrs. Nebbish on his other side has been asking you about the smell.
post #68 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
Sounds like he may be growing in a closet. Does your duplex have a basement? Just wondering.
It would smell totally different if he were growing it.
post #69 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-lamb View Post
It would smell totally different if he were growing it.
Maybe, maybe not. I've been near a grow closet and many a corn field and it smelled just like being in the middle of a Dead show.

I'm thinking that most people might not recognize the difference anyway.

Either way, the smell is bothering the OP.

I think mentioning that another neighbor has complained about it might be a good way to get the stinky neighbor's attention. It's one thing to smell it from a vent, another to think that a person a house over can smell it.

OP, I hope you are able to find a good solution soon.
post #70 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
Because it would solve the problem, that's why. Some people would rather actually solve their problems than be righteous at the cost of continuing to live them. To each their own.
So the next time someone does something not only against a lease agreement - but illegal to boot - I'll make sure 'I spend money out of my pocket so that he can continue to do so? That's not really solving the problem. It's more like a band-aid for a gaping wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
You shouldn't have to live with the smell of someone else's habit. And you, your children, and your things shouldn't have to carry the smell . Talk to the neighbor one more time and then call the landlord every time. Threaten to break your lease if he (or she, whoever owns the apartments) doesn't enforce the no smoking rules.
I agree.
post #71 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
Would he consider using a vaporiser instead? Would you be willing to contribute towards the cost if he is?
Are you serious? Those are pretty pricey. You're suggesting OP drop that kind of money on a stranger's intrusive habits? Please do NOT take this out of context, as I am not anti-weed, but society has laws and the laws currently are against the smoking of pot, so you're asking OP to spend money to support her neighbor's illegal activity. (Again, please don't jump on me for that, I am stating it from a completely legal point, I am not advocating the laws, k??? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
Also dead giveaways: chowing down on a big bag of Doritos and drinking a Big Gulp.
This made me !!!! ROFL!!!
post #72 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post


I thought this too originally. He needs to pull his head out of his bum if hes growing in a duplex.

OP: does it smell all.day.and.all.night.and.all.afternoon? I would have a more serious chat with him if hes growing. Some, but not all, growers steal electric from their neighbors. Whats your electric bill like?

Hmmm.... We are just about to have an energy audit because we have a ridiculously high utility bill and can't figure out why....Yes, there is a basement, and that is where the smell is concentrated. And there are two different kind of smells- one smokish and one a little "fresher" if you know what I mean.

So, I will definitely be looking further into the electricity matter!!

So thank you everyone for the input, opinions, and advice.

I decided to talk to the landlord. She is pretty laid back and not someone who is going to call the cops so I thought to try again with her, rather than him. She told me she would talk to him. Her solution- " He can smoke that sh*t outside." I feel like that is a reasonable solution, as that is the smoking policy. And if it continues, he moves.

We shall see.....
post #73 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
Isn't smoking marijuana illegal? I'd call the police. Every time. Totally unacceptable to do anything less, IMO.

there are many states where marijuana use is not illegal. and many whole communities where smoking bud is accepted as the norm. in fact, you can sue law enforcement that hassles you for legal marijuana use and win.
post #74 of 175
I had a neighbor who smoked pot, while I was living in a big apartment building and pregnant. The way the air traveled sucked the smoke right out of his apartment, down the hall and into mine.

All I had to do was knock on his door while I knew he was smoking or had recently and therefore was high - I just stood there with my huge pregnant belly in his face, smiled real big and said cheerfully "Hi, are you smoking pot?" He gives me a blank, stoned look and says "Uh, no." I said (still smiling real big and rubbing my belly) "Okay, well when you do, can you put a towel under your door and turn on a fan so the smoke doesn't come into my apartment? Thanks!" Problem solved. I probably would have given it three requests before calling the super, but I didn't need to. I NEVER would have called the police.
post #75 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
I decided to talk to the landlord. She is pretty laid back and not someone who is going to call the cops so I thought to try again with her, rather than him. She told me she would talk to him. Her solution- " He can smoke that sh*t outside." I feel like that is a reasonable solution, as that is the smoking policy. And if it continues, he moves.

We shall see.....
Sounds good.
post #76 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
there are many states where marijuana use is not illegal. and many whole communities where smoking bud is accepted as the norm. in fact, you can sue law enforcement that hassles you for legal marijuana use and win.
Then I would ask to see the renter's medical marijuana license. If he's legitimate, then work with him to reduce his impact on others who do not wish to breathe in his mind-altering fumes.

If he does not have a legal permit, I don't see how it is ethical to not turn him in for committing a crime. While I am sure some pot-heads are nice people too, if something's illegal, it's illegal. It's really very black & white.

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.
post #77 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.
post #78 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
If he does not have a legal permit, I don't see how it is ethical to not turn him in for committing a crime. While I am sure some pot-heads are nice people too, if something's illegal, it's illegal. It's really very black & white.
Except that it's not. I don't believe it's "justice" to arrest a guy sitting on his couch, hurting no one, in his own house. I think we might live in different worlds here. It's nowhere CLOSE to black and white - nothing in the real world is, and thinking it is is what's wrong with our legal system and this whole "drug war."

Quote:
Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.
.......and VASTLY different from pot, as any research will show. Even the DEA acknowledges that.
post #79 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
Hmmm.... We are just about to have an energy audit because we have a ridiculously high utility bill and can't figure out why....Yes, there is a basement, and that is where the smell is concentrated. And there are two different kind of smells- one smokish and one a little "fresher" if you know what I mean.
I'd bet a new vaporizer that he's growing.

This dude is seriously asking for trouble to be doing this in a duplex, and one with kids at that! Some people just don't think.

I hope that what ever is coming will not negatively effect your family. I conceder myself very pot friendly but I would not want to live in a grow house.

Is the basement in anyway a shared space? Or is there a solid wall dividing the space? Anyone know if the OP could get into any trouble if the neighbor is busted for a grow op?
post #80 of 175
Wow!!!!!!

Yeah, it sounds like he is smoking and growing. If there is a "fresher" smell AND a high utility bill, he's growing. What a knuckle head!!!!

First you need to establish if he holds a licsense and if he does an agreement will need to be worked upon between said smoker/grower and the landlord. Maybe suggest he stick a few fabric sofenter sheets in an empty toilet paper roll for him to blow the smoke through, that's what we did in highschool.

Personally I don't see how it's ethical to turn him in for smoking pot on his couch OR growing. If he gets "caught" HE will get into trouble as long as it is his private space and you are unable to enter the space, kwim? The police can't shake you down for something you aren't involved in.

Yeah, in MOST states it is illegal but, booze is legal and kills thousands daily, waaaaay more dangerous then pot. And comparing pot to crack or heroine is outlandish. Heck, prescription drugs are more dangerous and kill but those are legal so I suppose it's black and white
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Neighbor's Drifting Pot Smoke