or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods - Page 3

post #41 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
What about nettles infusion for dairy free calcium?

And what about sesame seeds? The unhulled kind is so high in minerals, but I have heard it has oxalates. So I toast mine. I can't get enough of sesame salt ground up with sea salt, Dulse, and nettles. The other day I made a batch with dandelion for liver support, and it was so tasty on steamed kale or salad.
I still worry about oxalates, since I haven't seen any real numbers yet (not that I've looked very hard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I am using a supplement, as a supplement to the juice. I've lost weight, just the past two weeks. My shirts fit me better and I'm no longer busting out of my bra. I got overconfident and tried on a pair of pants that fit me in the beginning of the summer, before I started having major sugar spikes - well I'm not there yet.
Did you already say somewhere what supplement? I'm having trouble controlling my variables... As of today, I've increased my gtf chromium to 3/day (200mcg/cap), and I got my Lewis Labs sample in the mail just now. It's definitely nuttier than cheesy, but there's still some cheesy-ness to it. That said, it's oddly addicting and I ended up eating the whole packet straight from my hand. And dh even agreed! I think it's going to happily become a parmesan cheese sub, especially on soup. Mmmm, and pasta too. I think I'll be ordering the big canister
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I've always just thrown the leaves in my pot of beans. Once done, just pull the frond out and eat the beans...this works with soups, too. I've never actually eaten them.
Thing is, if I can make it snackable, I bet dd would gobble it up! And so it would be a fantastic, dense source of minerals for her.

Oh yeah, and my blackstrap molasses has no copper, but the brewers yeast is pretty high...
post #42 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Is the calcium constipating him through your milk? Can you really up the mag to balance it? I know you were mentioning poop frequency issues... I *think* the pattern I'm seeing for me is that too little mag=constipation, med amount=high frequency, and just short of bowel tolerance=soft poop, just 1x or 2x/day.
.
Now that's really interesting. We got the first two, and I assumed that meant too much mag. I'll try upping the dose tomorrow and see what happens. And yeah, me supping with calcium constipates the heck out of him, even if I take mag to bowel tolerance along with it. I assume what happens is that my milk gets both ca and mg dumped into it, but in controlled amounts (no matter how much I take over a certain level), and the balance is not good for him. But maybe I can balance it by me taking the ca, and really upping his mag (it's tough though - it doesn't taste good, so we're a bit limited by how much he's willing to consume).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
What about blackstrap molasses? Any way to work some (about 3/4 cup a day ) into your diet? Or does it have oxalates/sals/glutamates/something else I have no idea about in it?
We hork blackstrap molasses cookies, and call it calcium supping, but it is high in copper and moderately high in sals, so... and I can't imagine a cup of it, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Interesting. Lewis Labs says their yeast is so high in chromium cause the sugar it's grown on pulls it from the soil. So blackstrap molasses should be extra high, too! And a quick google confirms. So if the lewis labs yeast is nutty rather than cheesy, then it might mix into sweet stuff rather than be doomed to savory? Maybe even mixed in with molasses for some sort of pumpernickel type creation? Or gingerbread?
I'd say it would work well in something like peanut butter or oatmeal cookies. And you can hide anything in gingerbread, LOL. It might go well in pine nut ricotta too. It's pretty mild, I'll play with my sample tomorrow and see how it tastes with some other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I should check out the brewer's yeast. My inlaws had it and I was worried about gluten. It tasted terrible in pasta, but maybe better in other things. I will check it out .
Regular brewers yeast tastes awful because it's the leftovers when beer is made and it has all the blechy stuff in it. The Lewis Labs stuff is GF and grown specifically as a supp, so it's much better tasting. Not sure it's as yummy as they think, but much better than the regular stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
What about nettles infusion for dairy free calcium?

And what about sesame seeds? The unhulled kind is so high in minerals, but I have heard it has oxalates. So I toast mine. I can't get enough of sesame salt ground up with sea salt, Dulse, and nettles. The other day I made a batch with dandelion for liver support, and it was so tasty on steamed kale or salad.
Nettles are high sals, but I may be able to do at least a little of that now, thanks - great idea. I am not super fond of sesame seeds, but I'll look into your mix, that sounds tasty.
post #43 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Now that's really interesting. We got the first two, and I assumed that meant too much mag. I'll try upping the dose tomorrow and see what happens. And yeah, me supping with calcium constipates the heck out of him, even if I take mag to bowel tolerance along with it. I assume what happens is that my milk gets both ca and mg dumped into it, but in controlled amounts (no matter how much I take over a certain level), and the balance is not good for him. But maybe I can balance it by me taking the ca, and really upping his mag (it's tough though - it doesn't taste good, so we're a bit limited by how much he's willing to consume).
With my dd, she had every sign of mag deficiency, and when I supped myself it dramatically improved. And getting her to drink a little (like 2 sips, maybe 10mg?) for a couple days was enough to really even her out. Now I try to keep getting it into her, especially when we get lots of Ca, but it's not a big deal if we don't. I'm thinking my milk was deficient, which set up a growing deficiency over time. Correcting that helped immediately, and now the ratios are more flexible?

Also, there is a big difference in my own bowel tolerance with naturalcalm vs mag citrate tablets vs mag oxide. It was when I switched to naturalcalm that I saw the sudden improvements in dd and myself.
post #44 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Many bonemeal products contain high, even dangerous, levels of lead. Labels should be read carefully to make sure the product has been tested. http://www.answers.com/topic/bone-meal

A USP (United States Pharmacopeia) symbol means that the calcium supplement is pure from lead and other metals.
http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseas...osis/qanda.htm

Substantial quantities of lead have been reported in some over-the-counter calcium supplement preparations, including not only bonemeal and dolomite, but also over-the-counter natural and refined calcium carbonate formulations.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/284/11/1425

Many manufacturers that used bonemeal for calcium supplements now use the bones of younger bovines or equines, which have less accumulation of industrial lead.
http://www.ehponline.org/members/200...elfo-full.html


Pat
Bonemeal has also been identified as a vector for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or "mad cow disease") among livestock so there is one more worry to take into consideration with how the supplement is sourced/made.
post #45 of 156
Eek. That's troubling. I recently bought some bonemeal since I think we're low in calcium. NOW brand. DH was weirded out by eating bonemeal, so I haven't used it very often. I'll have to look into it more. (I can always use it in compost if I don't want to use it internally.
post #46 of 156
Well if you would like a bonemeal calcium that is from healthy grass fed cows, Garden of Life Living Calcium is.
post #47 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
With my dd, she had every sign of mag deficiency, and when I supped myself it dramatically improved. And getting her to drink a little (like 2 sips, maybe 10mg?) for a couple days was enough to really even her out. Now I try to keep getting it into her, especially when we get lots of Ca, but it's not a big deal if we don't. I'm thinking my milk was deficient, which set up a growing deficiency over time. Correcting that helped immediately, and now the ratios are more flexible?

Also, there is a big difference in my own bowel tolerance with naturalcalm vs mag citrate tablets vs mag oxide. It was when I switched to naturalcalm that I saw the sudden improvements in dd and myself.
When you say you saw "sudden improvements" do you mean that switching to natural calm brought bowel tolerance at a lower level? Or some other improvement? I only ask b/c I was using nc but ran out & now I have mag glycinate tablets. Last time I tried them they did nothing for my stuffed up bowels. So I'm going to try some mag citrate powder.
post #48 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
When you say you saw "sudden improvements" do you mean that switching to natural calm brought bowel tolerance at a lower level? Or some other improvement? I only ask b/c I was using nc but ran out & now I have mag glycinate tablets. Last time I tried them they did nothing for my stuffed up bowels. So I'm going to try some mag citrate powder.
Switching to natural calm *increased* my bowel tolerance - I could suddenly do 800mg instead of an iffy 400. My assumption is that I was/am absorbing it better, so it made a bigger impact on the deficiency. I started sleeping better, dd stopped peeing (in a diaper) in bed, loud noises stopped bothering her so much, etc. And now my bowel tolerance has dropped again, but I'm guessing that's cause the deficiency is largely corrected?

If you're mostly *trying* to hit bowel tolerance, mag oxide isn't that well absorbed, so it might help. You might want to slowly ramp up, though - if you have a couple days delay before you see the effects, it might take that long for the effects to *stop!*
post #49 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Switching to natural calm *increased* my bowel tolerance - I could suddenly do 800mg instead of an iffy 400. My assumption is that I was/am absorbing it better, so it made a bigger impact on the deficiency. I started sleeping better, dd stopped peeing (in a diaper) in bed, loud noises stopped bothering her so much, etc. And now my bowel tolerance has dropped again, but I'm guessing that's cause the deficiency is largely corrected?

If you're mostly *trying* to hit bowel tolerance, mag oxide isn't that well absorbed, so it might help. You might want to slowly ramp up, though - if you have a couple days delay before you see the effects, it might take that long for the effects to *stop!*
That's interesting. I'm able to take quite a bit of natural calm. At least 800mg. But when I took the glycinate I think I took 3 capsules & nada.
post #50 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
chromium - the obvious one is brewer's yeast. But how do I turn that into 'food?' I'm thinking kale chips, cheese sauce, baked into 'corn'bread... On popcorn sounds awesome, but corn is out. Any popcorn-like subs? And do we even know if this stuff tastes cheesy like nutritional yeast does?
sorghum pops well, apparently.

as for sea veggies, i dry a bunch of just about any combination and then process it to make a sprinkle mix. that mix goes into soups, sauces, on salads, and on steak or in burgers, etc.

dried dulse is a great tasty crunchy snack.
post #51 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
sorghum pops well, apparently.

as for sea veggies, i dry a bunch of just about any combination and then process it to make a sprinkle mix. that mix goes into soups, sauces, on salads, and on steak or in burgers, etc.

dried dulse is a great tasty crunchy snack.
how do you pop sorgum?
post #52 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
how do you pop sorgum?
described here: http://everythingfreeeating.blogspot...of-summer.html
post #53 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
Thanks. I'm going to order me some sorghum grains.
post #54 of 156
Thread Starter 
Carren, I'm getting rid of my sorghum grains... PM me if you're interested.
L
post #55 of 156
Oh, I so have to try that!!! Can you pop buckwheat groats, I have those in the house... DS would be so happy...
post #56 of 156
I have my brewer's yeast - it's kinda nutty/cheesy. It mixes in well with pasta (cooked in bone broth) and tomato sauce - adds a cheesy flavor. It also mixes in well with chili. And I caught dh eating it off the spoon. This is the guy who is more interested in taste and convenience than nutrition, detects any amount of milk thistle, anywhere (but doesn't 'complain'), and has a knee jerk reaction to vitamins/health food in general, due to how he grew up. No food restrictions, and chooses subway for lunch more often than not. Eating brewer's yeast off the spoon. He says it's not really cheesy, but that it does add a good, unidentifiable flavor.
post #57 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Cheesy kale chips - high in calcium w/o oxalates, and nutritional yeast for b vites. I'm also waiting on a sample of the Lewis labs brewers yeast, which is more rounded on the b vites (less riboflavin, higher others. I have mixed feelings) and has the legendary gtf chromium. Anyway, make a sauce out of the yeast, adding soaked cashews (or whatever) for body, and seasoning for interest (red pepper, or thai seasonings including lime or whatever) toss kale in it - the curly leaves are best - then dehydrate/bake as low as you can until they're dried out and crispy. There were also some chocolate/mole flavor that were yummy, but they didn't have the yeasty vitamins.
I made these today and they were so goood!!!!
I ground up sunflower seeds, and mixed it with nutritional yeast, dulse flakes, and braggs liquid aminos, and made a weak paste with water and tossed the kale, dehydrated, and we cant stop eating them.
Thanks whoMe for the idea.
My 2 yr ld loved them and so did Dh (that is quite a shocker to me, he never eats greens.) Dh actually said he would like more to take to work with him.

Next time I am going to try adding miso for the cultures.
That will be tomorrow when I buy out the famers market for kale.
post #58 of 156
Dd's wetting overnight again and we've been missing the magnesium the past few days This morning, she drank a bunch of 'yummy water that's not sour.' Which means getting her to drink the sour magnesium water won't go over so well. I mixed in some honey and made her 'lemonade water' which she's now happy about and thinks is a treat. Helps that she loves honey and watched me mixing it in!

And I've been wanting lots of cinnamon lately, so I took a mostly empty jar of peanut butter and mixed a BUNCH of cinnamon into what's left. Then dd came along and wanted apples and peanut butter too. Didn't notice the cinnamon. I'm realizing that she doesn't notice/care if the whole jar of something is spiked, it's when she sees us adding stuff to her serving on the spot that she gets upset. So I'm going to play with that theory and see what we can do. We haven't been so successful with the supps lately (though her mood hasn't suffered much, thank goodness!)
post #59 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
And I've been wanting lots of cinnamon lately, so I took a mostly empty jar of peanut butter and mixed a BUNCH of cinnamon into what's left. Then dd came along and wanted apples and peanut butter too. Didn't notice the cinnamon. I'm realizing that she doesn't notice/care if the whole jar of something is spiked, it's when she sees us adding stuff to her serving on the spot that she gets upset. So I'm going to play with that theory and see what we can do. We haven't been so successful with the supps lately (though her mood hasn't suffered much, thank goodness!)
Wow. Maybe, even if she watched you do it, it would just be cooking, the regular making of tasty food.

Cinnamon, just because? Do you think it's the blood sugar regulation aspect? It caught my eye because I'm trying a few jars of an almond butter I found online, and if I like it, I'm buying in bulk. I have been craving almond butter, it's yummy, easy, tasty, yummy. And it never occurred to me to add anything to it before dipping.
post #60 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Wow. Maybe, even if she watched you do it, it would just be cooking, the regular making of tasty food.

Cinnamon, just because? Do you think it's the blood sugar regulation aspect? It caught my eye because I'm trying a few jars of an almond butter I found online, and if I like it, I'm buying in bulk. I have been craving almond butter, it's yummy, easy, tasty, yummy. And it never occurred to me to add anything to it before dipping.
Yeah to the first part, though she'd protest if she saw me emptying capsules (of, say, calcium and biotin into applesauce ) but the next time she saw the jar from the fridge, she would have forgotten and would happily eat it up.

Cinnamon for the blood sugar and because it's yummy. It's always been one of my favorite flavors, and I'm LOVING it right now. Especially with almonds - instant essence of granola (though we're off almonds again until I get caught up on sleep). Dh doesn't like nearly as much as I do (says it makes it taste like christmas, when I can barely taste the cinnamon) so I'm taking that as a sign that I should go with it and enjoy mass quantities
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Hiding supplements and dense nutrition in foods