Well, I'm late (as always). I thought it started 9/30 (haven't been on mdc in awhile and didn't go to the HGP site as I thought
I knew the date
). Today was planned to be a huge decluttering day to prepare for the HGP so I'm just going to jump in and see if I can catch up or at least get a couple weeks in.
Originally Posted by OkiMom
I really really need to do this!! We have so much coming up in the next two months: 3 birthdays (DH's, mine, DD2s), vacation, anniversary, Thanksgiving and a few other small things. I feel so overwhelmed because I tend to do a deep clean right before Christmas and I don't know how Im going to do it. Maybe this will help. Ill have to alter it a little since we will be gone for two of those weeks (we are going to Tokyo for our first ever family vacation!!).
Tokyo! That is so cool!
So this is what I'm going to attempt to get done today. First the porch...Porch (Week 1)
1. Buy a new rug. The store where I work has rugs on sale, hopefully they'll have some left so I can buy one when I work next.
2. Wash down the bench. I also need to get some type of bar thing to put across the bottom as the old one fell off and it is wobbly. Bar is long gone (I think the maintenance man threw it away!) so I guess I'll need to go to Home Depot and see if I can find something cheap that will work.
3. Windows. I'm not touching the screens as I'm in an apartment and the landlady will make me pay for any damage. They are already old and weather worn so I don't want her blaming me for that. I've told them I need new screens though and I'll be washing the windows. I'll wash under the screens when the maintenance man brings the new ones.
4. I'll wash down the door and paint the frame. Not painting the door as again, I'm in an apartment and they have a specific color and I'm not allowed to change it.Holiday Prep (Week 1)
1. Gifts to be given, amount to spend (include family, friends, school, church, etc)
2. Christmas card list (computerize it!) Print list and update it, if needed. Decide how many cards are needed.
3. Visits to make
5. Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
6. Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.
7. Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.
8. Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.
9. Create a Christmas planner notebook to organize holiday planning.Living Room (Week 2)
1. Wash the windows.
2. Dust/wash the walls.
3. Wash/iron/rehang the curtains and wash the blinds.
4. Clean out couches and spot clean.
5. Organize all wooden furniture and dust/polish.
6. Wash the baseboards.
7. Coat closet: Organize, clean.
8. Clean the TV and organize the dvds/cds.
9. Change fake flowers to match season.
10. Clean lamps, check cords, check that all outlets not in use are baby proofed.
11. Clean doorknobs/handles on all furniture.
12. Measure furniture pieces/windows and enter numbers in planner.
13. Um... Find measuring tape.
14. Take care of stacks of books. Organize homeschool material and get it all on bookcases/shelves/in closet (neatly).
15. Wash and vacuum carpet.
16. Take pictures for inventory purposes.
17. Look into rental insurance. Budget to buy.Holiday Prep (Week 2)
1. Buy extra flour, sugar, shortening, etc.
2. Develop ideas for gifts, decorations.
3. Order Christmas cards and address labels.
4. For your friends of other religions take the time to find out what their major holiday is and look for an appropriate card to send to them at that time.
5. Read the questions of the week and write down answers in planner.Entry/Foyer Week 3
I don't have a foyer, so I'm going to use this week to clean the hallway with the storage closets.
1. Wash walls/baseboards/vents.
2. Declutter/organize/clean storage closets.
3. Sweep/mop floor.
4. Paint as needed ("washable" markers are banned from my apartment. How do they keep sneaking in???)Holiday Prep (Week 3)
1. Make one batch of holiday goodies.
2. Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
3. Buy canned food items for holiday cooking.
5. Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
6. Buy extra set of rechargeable batteries, charge them, put them up.
7. Research cooking for the freezer. (Probably should be done before cooking anything for the freezer...)Master Bedroom (Week 4)
1. Wash/iron/rehang curtains. Wash/vacuum blinds.
2. Wash windows.
3. Wash bed linens.
4. Take care of any stacks around the room (BOOKS!)
5. Budget for buying another bookcase.
6. Declutter dresser drawers. Vacuum empty drawers. Fix broken drawer.
7. Clean under bed.
8. Turn mattress.
9. Declutter closets.
10. Sort through clothes into donate/trash/keep.
11. Dust/polish/declutter furniture.
12. Wash walls/baseboards.
13. Get mattress pad out from storage closet and actually *gasp* put it on the bed!Holiday Prep (Week 4)
1. Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
2. Buy two canned food items from menus.
3. Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
4. Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
5. Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
6. Make list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week.
Ok, that will get me caught up through the current week. That's a lot more than I thought it would be so I'm going to get started as the day is getting away from me! I'll update with my progress later.