or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › tell me if this is too much TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

tell me if this is too much TV - Page 6

Poll Results: what is your household TV MO?

 
  • 8% (29)
    TV free, no TV ever
  • 23% (81)
    TV limited, but we do the occassional movie or show
  • 33% (116)
    we limit but watch something everyday
  • 14% (49)
    we are aware, but don't really limit, we just like to do other things more
  • 16% (57)
    we don't limit usage, but we do police the content
  • 4% (17)
    no limits on it at all
349 Total Votes  
post #101 of 144
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Zero screen time here.
Why watch TV....when you could....

Help in the garden
Play with sticks in the woods
Go fishing
Help mama cook
Play dolly's, trucks, dress up, etc
Squish your hands in some dough
Eat cookies and watch the wind blow
Dance to crazy music
Follow a butterfly

And winter weather is no excuse....you could always...

Bake a pie (or just eat it)
Learn to knit
Play with blocks
Make a snowman
Lick some yellow snow...

First of all you can't be zero screen time for as much as you are online here on MDC, Averysmomma!

Secondly, I don't really like to play with sticks or really play in the woods, either, not that we have any by our house, but if they did there would be bears and mountain lions in em and that ain't my thang.
I am trying to stay away from sweet baked goods because I am overweight and my dd has ECC.
The garden here has been growing like mad but surprisingly no weeds, I guess because of our set-up, so no help needed, although we love to go out and eat peas every now and then. I mean, it't not like the other 10-11/hrs that we aren't watching TV or sleeping that we don't go outside a whole lot. I think you are missing the reality, here. We play in the pool. We go for over-an-hour walks every morning. We have a swingset. We walk around the block. We go to the playground. We make beds in the grass with pillows and blankets.


I would love to knit, but that is not really a 20mos old activity. I do like to make jewelry but again, 20mos and beads= up her nose.

Blech.

Suggestions that I could actually use might sway me, but that list really doesn't inpire me.....
post #102 of 144
I WOHM, so DS only watches a little bit in the morning during breakfast - he watches Sprout - Wiggly Waffle or sometimes Sesame Street for about 30 minutes. In the evenings, it varies. We could be watching baseball or The Simpsons or maybe the news and he'll watch a little bit and then we'll eat dinner, play, bathtime, and then he likes to watch The Goodnight Show on Sprout for another 30 mins or so and then it's time for bed. So, overall, each day it's about an hour to an hour and a half and he's 3.5.
post #103 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
First of all you can't be zero screen time for as much as you are online here on MDC, Averysmomma!

Secondly, I don't really like to play with sticks or really play in the woods, either, not that we have any by our house, but if they did there would be bears and mountain lions in em and that ain't my thang.
I am trying to stay away from sweet baked goods because I am overweight and my dd has ECC.
The garden here has been growing like mad but surprisingly no weeds, I guess because of our set-up, so no help needed, although we love to go out and eat peas every now and then. I mean, it't not like the other 10-11/hrs that we aren't watching TV or sleeping that we don't go outside a whole lot. I think you are missing the reality, here. We play in the pool. We go for over-an-hour walks every morning. We have a swingset. We walk around the block. We go to the playground. We make beds in the grass with pillows and blankets.


I would love to knit, but that is not really a 20mos old activity. I do like to make jewelry but again, 20mos and beads= up her nose.

Blech.

Suggestions that I could actually use might sway me, but that list really doesn't inpire me.....
Hello Sisteesmama!



Yes, I MDC a lot...it's my guilty pleasure! But I go in spurts....year before last I was here moderately, last year I was non-existent, to the point where I forgot my log-in information and had to make a new account. This year, I have had a child who sleeps over five hours during the daylight hours...so I have to be home while she sleeps and in my fatigue (oh the joys of first year parenting while pregnant) HAVE spent more time in front of the computer. But that really has more to do with the way I've been feeling physically...I don't have the energy during the week when I'm alone to do a lot. So, when she sleeps...I sleep or am here!

Again...I know my views are extreme....but I really, honestly and truly believe (and no I'm not ultra fundamentalist religious person or belong to any extremists groups) that TV is evil...I think it is evil. I don't like the messages it sends, I don't like the little seeds and ideas planted into tiny brains by advertisments, I find much of the programming to be mildless and poorly written and I just don't want it in MY kids faces....I truly believe it's bad. Bad for you physically, mentally, just bad bad bad.

Yeah, it's a rigid view, I've got a lot of those these days. I don't apologize for hating Tv so much...but I also don't judge mamas who TV watch because I KNOW my views are slightly irrational. I absolutely, without a doubt, HATE tv. It hurts my eyes, it hurts my ears, it scatters my thoughts and I think it poisons brains. That's all.

I was asked a question...and now I've answered it.
post #104 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
Suggestions that I could actually use might sway me, but that list really doesn't inpire me.....
How about life?

Life. Connect with people, look at the sky, putz around...anything. From two until 18, at 3 hours a day, we're talking over 16,000 of TV.

That's 666 days. That's TWO YEARS. Two years of mindlessnes. I don't care if my kid sits and thinks for ALL that time...or doodles, or signs a song or does NOTHING...I'd rather they were sleeping for all that time, than watching TV.

Maybe knitting isn't a "2 year old activity"....but if they spend their free time when they're two, three and four watching TV....what are the chancest hat when they reach "knitting age" they are going to wake up one day and say "No more TV for me, I want to learn how to knit". I have a 15 month old...she can't knit...but she helps me cook and a whole host of other things I get done around the house while she is a awake that keep up together, engaged and not mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes...as the TV box shoots flashy images and strange sounds into our heads.

Again...my views are rigid, my hate for TV is probably stronger than warranted....but man...TWO? A TWO year old watching TV? That's Craaaaazy to me! Patterns, habits...patterns repeat themselves, habits are harder to break than we realize. A two year old who watches TV, becomes three, then four, then five....it goes on and on. It is a lifelong habit. And a horrible one. Again....MY opinion.
post #105 of 144
Thread Starter 
You're right, I did ask. And I am happy to have the input.

But I actually do like TV. I always have. I watched Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers when I was little and I LOVED it and remember it vividly.

I like watching it now as an adult and like to use to unwind as a break.

I would love if you would share all of these things you and your 15mos old do together. I find that cleaning with her is frustrating because her fave thing to do is take anything/everything down that is within her reach immediately after I put it away. I have tried the bath thing, she is sensitive to temp. and also just the feel of water so that can go either way depending on her mood, same with the pool.
I have very fair skin as does she(and I don't like sunscreen) so during the peak heat of the day I try and have some time in the house where we read books, but often times that ends in her wanting to switch from book to book without reading very much of any of them and if I don't want to do that then she throws a little tantrum and thats the end of that.


I guess I just feel like without TV I am a bad mom. Without the breaks in the day where I can decompress then I feel waay more stressed out and annoyed than if I can have some minutes where things are calm and she is quiet and even interact with her when the shows are on, we pick out animals and sing the songs and stuff, it's just nice to have the scheduled breaks sometimes.

And after this thread I don't feel even a little bit bad anymore, I know what's right for us.
post #106 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Maybe knitting isn't a "2 year old activity"....but if they spend their free time when they're two, three and four watching TV....what are the chancest hat when they reach "knitting age" they are going to wake up one day and say "No more TV for me, I want to learn how to knit".
I watched lots of tv as a kid, and I still decided to learn to crochet when I was about 10. My mom watches tv...and crochets while she does it (Barbie clothes, which is hilarious, because she doesn't like Barbie...earrings, Christmas ornaments - all kinds of neat stuff). I dropped it, out of frustration, and keep meaning to get back to it. Most of the time, I was only half-watching tv, because I was not about to put down my book long enough to watch a whole show. It's kind of funny that you said your dh wishes he hadn't spent all that time on video games. I wish I hadn't spent so much time reading.

Quote:
I have a 15 month old...she can't knit...but she helps me cook and a whole host of other things I get done around the house while she is a awake that keep up together, engaged and not mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes...as the TV box shoots flashy images and strange sounds into our heads.
umm...your one of my favourite posters here, but I think the part I bolded is a little harsh. DS1 used to watch a lot of tv (more than I wanted him to), and I've never, in 16 years, seen him "mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes" - not ever - not at anything. He's one of the most engaged people I've ever met.

Quote:
Patterns, habits...patterns repeat themselves, habits are harder to break than we realize. A two year old who watches TV, becomes three, then four, then five....it goes on and on. It is a lifelong habit. And a horrible one. Again....MY opinion.
You know, that really depends on the person. I agree it makes sense to avoid taking the chance, but watching as a kid doesn't always mean watching as an adult. DH's parents watch tv every single night. When he moved out on his own, his tv was in the closet, in case he wanted to watch a movie. In the 8 years he's lived with me, I don't think I've ever seen him turn on a tv program, except the Superbowl every year, and he doesn't even watch all of that. DS1 watches movies, especially when he visits friends, but he happily walks out in the middle of a movie if a friend calls to play Frisbee or hang out in the woods. DD1 would almost always rather colour or draw or do Perler beads than watch tv. Even ds2 (the closest to being a television junkie) would rather play blocks or Lego or scribble on paper a lot of the time.

I'm trying to cut back on the tv (DVD) time around here - but I'm the problem, not the kids. If they're offered something else to do, they'll take it. About the only time that's not true is if they're sick.
post #107 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
I would love if you would share all of these things you and your 15mos old do together. I find that cleaning with her is frustrating because her fave thing to do is take anything/everything down that is within her reach immediately after I put it away. I have tried the bath thing, she is sensitive to temp. and also just the feel of water so that can go either way depending on her mood, same with the pool.
I've found this many times. People will talk about doing all these things with their kids, but when I try them, the results are...not great a lot of the time. Cleaning with them is okay now, but when they were really little, it was insanely frustrating.

Oh, well. We're easing away from tv, now that ds2 is a little easier to handle.
post #108 of 144
Quote:
I do however find their recommendation about TV pretty compelling. Mostly that's exactly just because the AAP is such a conservative, mainstream organization. For them to make such a strong and definite statement about TV watching means that they have some very serious concerns. They don't fly in the face of mainstream opinion very often, after all, and they must have known that most of America would just laugh, say "get real," and go back to letting their kids watch hours of TV. And yet they made the statement anyway. I think that's something to think about.
ITA with this.

We are basically a no-TV house, although I have been letting DS watch it for about 15 minutes while I shower and dry my hair (otherwise he holds the shower curtain open or clings to me and cries). This is new and I expect the novelty will wear off soon.

DD watches a VERY occasional movie (like, uh, 4-6 times a year, and only since she was 4). If she is really, really sick I will let her lie on the sofa and watch PBS. She is incredibly imaginative, and also incredibly innocent. She's also very, very good at entertaining herself. I can't swear this is about being no-TV, but I suspect there's a link.
post #109 of 144

.


Edited by GoestoShow - 12/10/10 at 6:33pm
post #110 of 144
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=loraxc;14300100]She is incredibly imaginative, and also incredibly innocent. [QUOTE]

What does it mean that she is incredibly innocent? I think my 20mos old dd is incredibly innocent, but I would like to clarify!
post #111 of 144
That was my comment about her being innocent. Hey, I'm not saying your 20mo isn't innocent. That's a baby, basically--of course she's innocent at this age. But my DD is 5. *donning flameproof suit* You'll see one day when you have a 5yo, but some are a lot more smart-alecky, world-weary, and jaded than others. Some of them talk a lot more trash and are a lot more violent than others. Is this all related to TV? Of course not, but I do think there is a relationship, especially when kids are watching movies intended for older kids, broadcast TV, music videos, etc. For instance, DD has never watched death enacted in a movie, nor has she watched kids being rude and calling each other names on TV. She doesn't know any swear words beyond "damn it." She is pretty much complete unaware of sexuality, or the idea of sexy dancing, or of "posing" cutely. She has never seen a music video. She is very much an innocent little girl, and I like that she is still unaware of a lot of these things.
post #112 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

My problem with TV, is that it encourages "nothing" time. You are building anything when you watch TV....your mind is engaged, open and receiving...but in such a way that I don't think, even if you're watching something educational, that you are actually actively learning.
I vehemently disagree with this. My son can tell you a million things he's learned from tv -- from the Kratt brother's shows, to Jack Hannah to the Croc Hunter. He's six, and one of his favorite shows is Nova. We also like to watch shows like the Amazing Race together and we research the different places the racers are. And we're really looking forward to watching The Human Family Tree on National Geographic this weekend.

But he's also still six and loves the Penguins of Madagascar and gets to watch that every morning while he eats breakfast and I shower.

All things in moderation, as the old saying goes.

ETA: And I'm almost always crocheting while I'm watching tv.
post #113 of 144
So, OP, what do you think? You've sparked an interesting discussion. I'd love to know your thoughts...
post #114 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Maybe knitting isn't a "2 year old activity"....but if they spend their free time when they're two, three and four watching TV....what are the chancest hat when they reach "knitting age" they are going to wake up one day and say "No more TV for me, I want to learn how to knit".
I had already mentioned that we were TV free when dd was little, but aren't any longer. However, the above is my dd. When she had the motor skills to needlepoint, that was it (around 5). She preferred it above everything for quite a while. Even now at 7, when she watches TV, she'll often have a needle and thread in her hands.

I personally don't think TV is evil because we are picky about what we watch. We mostly watch TV Land - Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver... these are all wholesome shows with a good message or are just plain fun. They don't influence kids in any particular way like modern Disney channel does. If people think that TV is evil, they're probably watching the wrong programs. JMHO.
post #115 of 144
My son is 2. We watch tv. We normally download shows we like and watch them as a full series. I hate commercials and this way we never have to see them. There are no limits as to how much he can watch, how much I can watch or how much my hubby can watch. We have a lot of fun watching tv together. That doesn't mean we stare at the tv for 15 hours a day. It just something we really enjoy doing together. We have a full life together and do LOTS of other stuff aside from tv watching. I'm just not going to stress about it, or deny myself, my husband or my son something that we enjoy. I think as long as a family has other interests a little tv isn't going to hurt.

When we aren't watching a downloaded series, we usually have Animal Planet or National Geographic on. My son loves animals and really likes watching them, as do my dh and I. Ridiculously stupid shows like J&K plus 8, The Hills, any reality show and soap operas are never on. Not because we have set limits against them...just cause they are horribly painful to watch . Same with commercials, they always get muted.

To the OP...I do not think your child is watching too much tv.

And what the heck is wrong with nothing time? Seriously...do we have to be actively building, creating, playing, etc...every moment of the day? My son spends a good chunk of his day doing just that AND he watches tv. And it isn't always nothing time while tv watching. Depending on the content it can be very interesting and educational and sometimes just plain hilarious. I agree with velochic's last words "If people think that TV is evil, they're probably watching the wrong programs. JMHO." If all there was to watch was standard cable fare then we'd probably be tv free. But there is lots of other programming out there and I really enjoy it.
post #116 of 144
I think it's ridiculous and narrow minded to think that you don't have a full and enriching life just because you watch TV.

I have a super high needs dd who never naps and sleeps less than 12 hours a night we have plenty of time to do a million enriching activities a day and still have time for down time like tv or computer use.

Also, and this will be an unpopular thing to admit here at MDC but, I personally don't enjoy spending every waking second filling my childs life with enrichment. I'm pregnant, I run a household, I have my own intrests, and I'm tired sometimes. So I sometimes need entertainment devices to help me out. That may be "wrong" but it is a reality for a lot of SAHP.

I agree with the posters who have pointed out that like it or not kids can learn from TV. My dd has learned all kinds of things from sesame street and Syd the Science Kid (that show has lit the spark of a scientisit inside of her). As for language development I'm sure there is some validty to the studies mentioned here but my personal experience is a daughter who started talking at 9 months, has not stopped, and is fully equiped with an almost adult vocabulary.

I hope this post doesn't come off as defensive I'm just trying to point out the other side of things.
post #117 of 144
I would like to reiterate a few things, since it seems people are having a hard time reading my words the first, second and third times I post them:


1. I understand my views are rigid and because I understand that there is no reason to hate TV as much as I do, I do not judge any mamas who allow for TV time in their home.

2. I understand that not all kids are sitting around slack-jawed, learning nothing when they;re watching TV....I explained that we have a stash of some movies/tv series which we feel would be a shame for our kids to miss out on....Anne of Green Gables, some nature shows we love (actually, Nova Science tapes) etc...again, my views are rigid...I get that.

3. I don't know if I made it seem this way....but I do NOT spend all of my time hovering over my DDs shoulder...first of all, I have stuff to do, sencond of all...that would bug the crap outta my DD. In our home it's basically unstructured, free roam of the house. We do a lot together...but by no means do we spend all of our time together.

Whatever. If so many people hadn't quoted my posts, I would go back through and delete them, obviously my views are f'ing insane and TV watching rocks....whatever.
post #118 of 144
And PS.....

Just because a kid is watching a science show and actually learning from it...doesn't mean the only thing they are learning is science related.

Everything your child watches, is taken in by her brain and filtered and then saved in the appropriate place in her subconscious. Even in a science program...less so with things like NOVA....but *especially* with shows geared toward children...there are messages related to social behavior and morals/values embeded in the plot lines and dialogue of the show.

I don't have a problem with science related material...I have a problem with the subtext of these shows/movies. I don't like the mixed up messages to do with gender roles, etc that are stuffed into these kids shows. I don't like all this new fangled bullcrap about "emotional sensitivity" (look at his face, what does he feel...and so on)...it is MY job as a parent to model behavior which leads to emotional sensitivity and we are a very emotionally sensitive household...I just don't like how a lot of the programming these days seems to be really serious, trying to teach skills and values which are MY business to teach my kids.

And another thing...and I always come back to this....COMMERCIALS.

They drive me nuts. First of all (and one of the reasons I hate TV so much)....I am sensitive to sounds and intense visuals. How it is that more kids don't develope siezures as a result of watching these commericals is beyond me, They are SO flashy....they are loud, confusing and absolutely shattering to any peace in the house. They use strange noises and loud fast talking that is disorienting and I don't like it.

Do you realize (and marketing companies are open about this) that they employ child psychologists to better "reach" your children with their advertising??? Because they do. That is disgusting. THey are opening your childs skull, jumping inside and using the colors, language, pitch and images that they need to, to influence your childs thought process in relation to that product.

It bothers me. I don't like it. I'm not saying anything about anyone elses parenting....I'm saying that FOR ME, it doesn't work to have psycho-ninjas running around in my kids head, telling them how to think, consume, and react in social settings.

Whatever happened to sesame street-style counting shows and little diddies about rubby duckies?? Why are shows now trying to teach Chinese to my kids, tell them how to identify and react to uncomfortable social situations and employ the services of highly skilled developmental/child psychologists to sell useless, disgusting products to my child?? TV has always been something which should be limited....but it's the twist it's taken on, it's influence in our culture (which, by and large disgusts me) that makes me think that TV free is the way to be in our home.
post #119 of 144
AverysMomma: YES YES YES!

We were tv-free until about age 3, and even now at age 7 we watch rarely and ridiculously carefully. (For instance, I would never allow Leave It To Beaver in my home - too unfeminist, for one thing.)

Just because someone's child still goes to the park daily, and watches only PBS shows, doesn't mean that her daily dose of tv isn't harming her.
post #120 of 144
Avery's mom, you aren't alone.

I hate television and all it's spawn I bet as much as you do for lots of reasons.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I know lots of terrific familes that do watch tv. I do think it is worth spending a moment thinking about the long view. There has been some discussion about content, and I do know that content matters. However, I think a far more significant issue is the habit or the practice itself.

It's easy to manage content when kids are little, but my oldest is 9 and I sure wouldn't want to have power struggles with him over what is okay to watch and what isn't. (He's making good choices in other realms so it's not as if he's being shortchanged an experience being discerning vis-a-vis television.)

Now that he is nine he's not at all interested in tv, and gets frustrated if he's at a friends house and that is what his buddy wants to spend the afternnon doing. He has a habit of creativity and activity and sitting in front of television just isn't as fun for him as playing soccer in the backyard or shooting hoops or making birdhouses or reading or painting, etc.

Time is finite, and my children have a lot of activities and responsibilities--swim team, Russian language lessons, piano lessons and practice, soccer, chores, etc. Because they don't watch tv they still have plenty of time to do their own reading, day dreaming, playing tag, pondering insects, and paddle in the pond. They have time to chat, get bored, make art, help me in the kitchen.

FWIW, I have 4 kids and a husband who travels 50 percent of the time so I am often on my own. We have a backyard now, which does make a huge difference, but we have lived in tiny urban apartments, abroad in foreign cities and we have had periods where I have been on bedrest, and prepping for a big move, or trying to deal with complicated legal questions. Which is to say, if people want to live without television, it can be done in many situations (and I do understand that most people wouldn't even want to).

To be honest, it just isn't that hard once you get into it. The rewards are great especially as the kids get older.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › tell me if this is too much TV