or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › tell me if this is too much TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

tell me if this is too much TV - Page 7

Poll Results: what is your household TV MO?

 
  • 8% (29)
    TV free, no TV ever
  • 23% (81)
    TV limited, but we do the occassional movie or show
  • 33% (116)
    we limit but watch something everyday
  • 14% (49)
    we are aware, but don't really limit, we just like to do other things more
  • 16% (57)
    we don't limit usage, but we do police the content
  • 4% (17)
    no limits on it at all
349 Total Votes  
post #121 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
Avery's mom, you aren't alone.
I want to say this too.
post #122 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

Whatever. If so many people hadn't quoted my posts, I would go back through and delete them, obviously my views are f'ing insane and TV watching rocks....whatever.
Because there's no middle ground between "all kids watching tv become slackjawed morons" and your "views are f'ing insane and TV watching rocks", right?
post #123 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
Just because someone's child still goes to the park daily, and watches only PBS shows, doesn't mean that her daily dose of tv isn't harming her.
Well, that's just plain offensive. How would you feel if someone were to state that just because a parent raises a child to be tv-free doesn't mean that her extremism isn't harming the child? For the record, I don't subscribe to that belief -- but I do take offense that you believe I'm causing harm to come to my child by sitting and watching Jack Hannah with him.
post #124 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

Whatever happened to sesame street-style counting shows and little diddies about rubby duckies?? Why are shows now trying to teach Chinese to my kids, tell them how to identify and react to uncomfortable social situations and employ the services of highly skilled developmental/child psychologists to sell useless, disgusting products to my child??
Are you seriously equating teaching Chinese with selling useless products? I'm fine with anti-commercialism, and if our lives were different (in various ways I don't feel like going into) we'd consider going TV-free, but how is teaching Chinese any different from the old school-- and new school-- Sesame Street teaching a little Spanish?
post #125 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
If people think that TV is evil, they're probably watching the wrong programs. JMHO.
Except that there are also valid concerns about the effect of tv itself - the medium - on a developing brain. That's the part that concerns me most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
And another thing...and I always come back to this....COMMERCIALS.

They drive me nuts. First of all (and one of the reasons I hate TV so much)....I am sensitive to sounds and intense visuals. How it is that more kids don't develope siezures as a result of watching these commericals is beyond me, They are SO flashy....they are loud, confusing and absolutely shattering to any peace in the house. They use strange noises and loud fast talking that is disorienting and I don't like it.
I'm totally on the same page as you about commercials. We watch a lot of material that is not considered age appropriate. But, we don't watch tv, and commercials are one of the biggest reasons for that. We also prefer to avoid the "hook" for the next show. I can remember many happy hours watching tv as a kid, but I can also remember nagging the heck out of my mom, because I wanted to watch whatever was "coming up next". We don't have that problem, because we don't ever see the ads. (And, I didn't nag because mom would give in. She didn't.) It makes me sick that people actually try to promote that behaviour in kids.

Quote:
Whatever happened to sesame street-style counting shows and little diddies about rubby duckies??
I don't know. Even Sesame Street isn't like it used to be. I know a lot of kids like Elmo's World, but I can't stand it. It makes my head hurt.

Quote:
TV has always been something which should be limited....but it's the twist it's taken on, it's influence in our culture (which, by and large disgusts me) that makes me think that TV free is the way to be in our home.
I think it was overly influential even when I was a kid, and I think it's even more so now. The reality shows, in particular, really bother me.
post #126 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
Because there's no middle ground between "all kids watching tv become slackjawed morons" and your "views are f'ing insane and TV watching rocks", right?
Hold the phone lady, I never said "morons" and I never stated any belief whatsoever in regard to the "becomings" of kids who grow up watching TV. Some of my favorite people ever are TV watchers, truly, some of the great minds of our time..grew up watching the tube...though I would say...that TV of this day and age (like, what kids are watching NOW) is much much different and getting worse and worse all the time.

My views on this subject are rigid and extreme (there, now I've said it eleven million times) and I don't apologize for that. I find the culture of my people, with very few exceptions, to be disgusting and inherently harmful to the natural and peaceful development of children. Further, I find TV and Pop Culture in general, to be a gigantic piece of that.


In our society, it is what is UNSAID that drives me insane.

In the US we love to eat!! -----> the unsaid: The animals we eat die in fear and are in poor health, generally speaking, while living. They live in gigantic animal factories (ahem, CITIES) and are pumped full of disgusting stuff.

Thank goodness we have access to so much in the way of fresh vegitation! ----> which is sprayed until it's waxy with pesticides and other junk...not to mention that much of it is genetically modified to begin with.

We are so lucky to have access to clean water! ----> which is filled with flouride, aluminum and more prescription medication and estrogen than you could shake a stick at.

Look at all these people, smiling and happy as they shop for trendy clothes in the super mall! ---> clothing, the production of which, acts as modern day slavery for millions of people not lucky enough to live here.

We have access to the best medical care around! ------> Highest infant mortality rate in the developed world, incredible rates of obesity and related, chronic issues, and don't get me STARTED on the way we "treat" children...vaccines, etc.


We live in an age of big huge curtains. We all go along with our democracy and our shiny new cars and we don't talk about what makes this life possible. We don't talk about the fact that child psychologists help advertisers to market products to children...WHY. Why don't we talk about anything that's really happening? Because it makes us happier to eat chicken wings without thinking about where they come from. Because it makes us safer to think "Yay, 1% of our entire population is in prison!" instead of wondering why, if our schools are so great and our society so "together" we have the highest rate of incarceration...I believe it's anywhere in the WORLD. We don't like to talk about the harmful effects of TV watching on young brains...because it's so much easier to take a shower when they are sitting in front of spongbob...so, up goes the curtain.

The bottom line is.....it's not good for you. It's not good for you to sit and watch lots of TV. As for what "lots" means to you, in your home, with your kids....none of my business and I don't judge, because again, my views are crazy and I get it. But it isn't good for you....and the crap that they shove into the subtext of this child geared programming is ridiculous and, I believe, directly impedes your ability as a parent to instill your values into your childrens minds.

We buy and buy, we eat and eat, we slurp down frosty's and roll up our sleeves for flu shots...all without asking questions. What I'm saying is...we live in an illusion....much of what makes up modern life (Our "reality") in the western world is not real. We're not as heathy as we think we are, we're not as free as we think we are and we spend a lot more time thinking what we think...than we do thinking about WHY we think what we think. It is my belief, that TV has a lot more to do with WHY we think what we think, than anyone ever really takes the time to imagine.

That's all. Our minds are amazing....they don't miss a thing. There is not an imagine, sound, thought, phrase, song, etc that we take in, that our mind doesn't store in our subconcious....that subconcious is responsible for how we handle life MUCH more than our concious brains....our subconcious is formed by all those little messages and words and sounds and phrases that we take in and then completely "forget" about. The part of our brain which doesn't forget, dictates our general sense of our surroundings and our general sense of the world and how it works, what is true, etc.....so, call it harmless, whatever....I think that it leads to feelings of frustration, general unrest and that it is harmful in those and many other ways. I don'tlike all those little phrases, songs, sounds, images, etc slipping into the subconcious of my child.

But again....those are MY rigid beliefs.

*sigh* Man, it's just not a saturday if I'm not on MDC saying something wacky, huh? I guess I'm just a weirdo! Sorry for spewing my "weird" everywhere.
post #127 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
And PS.....

Just because a kid is watching a science show and actually learning from it...doesn't mean the only thing they are learning is science related.

Everything your child watches, is taken in by her brain and filtered and then saved in the appropriate place in her subconscious. Even in a science program...less so with things like NOVA....but *especially* with shows geared toward children...there are messages related to social behavior and morals/values embeded in the plot lines and dialogue of the show.
I'm actually OK with my son learning social behavior and morals from the shows we choose to watch together. When we come across something that our family does or thinks about differently, we talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
I don't have a problem with science related material...I have a problem with the subtext of these shows/movies. I don't like the mixed up messages to do with gender roles, etc that are stuffed into these kids shows. I don't like all this new fangled bullcrap about "emotional sensitivity" (look at his face, what does he feel...and so on)...it is MY job as a parent to model behavior which leads to emotional sensitivity and we are a very emotionally sensitive household...I just don't like how a lot of the programming these days seems to be really serious, trying to teach skills and values which are MY business to teach my kids.
Never once have I seen Jack Hanna talk about emotional sensitivity. I've never heard him ask for the audience to look at the hyena's face, for example, to see what he feels. I don't seen any gender-bias as there are as many segments which feature Jack's daughters and his other staff -- especially Julie Scardina whom we both adore, and they're doing the same stuff Jack's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
And another thing...and I always come back to this....COMMERCIALS.
Most of the programming that we watch is commercial free, but for those which is not, we have a TiVo and fast-forward. My son is six and has never begged for something he's seen advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
They drive me nuts. First of all (and one of the reasons I hate TV so much)....I am sensitive to sounds and intense visuals. How it is that more kids don't develope siezures as a result of watching these commericals is beyond me, They are SO flashy....they are loud, confusing and absolutely shattering to any peace in the house. They use strange noises and loud fast talking that is disorienting and I don't like it.
This isn't a problem for us. If it were, we would have chosen not to watch. I can certainly understand not wanted to do something that makes you feel physically uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Do you realize (and marketing companies are open about this) that they employ child psychologists to better "reach" your children with their advertising??? Because they do. That is disgusting. THey are opening your childs skull, jumping inside and using the colors, language, pitch and images that they need to, to influence your childs thought process in relation to that product.
Again, we don't watch commercials, but when he's old enough to do so, I will teach him some critical evaluation skills that will be helpful to him in all kinds of situations where someone is trying to convince him of something. Teachable moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
It bothers me. I don't like it. I'm not saying anything about anyone elses parenting....I'm saying that FOR ME, it doesn't work to have psycho-ninjas running around in my kids head, telling them how to think, consume, and react in social settings.
Well, I certainly wouldn't like that either, but luckily for me, I don't believe there are any psycho-ninjas in my kid's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Whatever happened to sesame street-style counting shows and little diddies about rubby duckies??
It's still on and has many of the exact same segments that were aired when I was a little girl in the late 60s (I was 5 when Sesame Street started). I'm not a big fan of the Elmo's World part at the end, but that's just me. As long as you fast-forward through the sponsored-by stuff at the beginning, you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Why are shows now trying to teach Chinese to my kids, tell them how to identify and react to uncomfortable social situations and employ the services of highly skilled developmental/child psychologists to sell useless, disgusting products to my child?? TV has always been something which should be limited....but it's the twist it's taken on, it's influence in our culture (which, by and large disgusts me) that makes me think that TV free is the way to be in our home.
More power to you. I'm sure you've made the choice that fits your family best. But when you make statements like a child must be "mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes" "not learning anything" while his parents are "crazy" for allowing his mind to be "poisoned", you need to be prepared for those you have offended to speak up.

I'm not stupid, I know what tv is, what it's good for and what it isn't, my son and I enjoy watching and learning together on a fairly regular basis, and there's no poisoning, harming, or psycho-ninjas involved.
post #128 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Are you seriously equating teaching Chinese with selling useless products? I'm fine with anti-commercialism, and if our lives were different (in various ways I don't feel like going into) we'd consider going TV-free, but how is teaching Chinese any different from the old school-- and new school-- Sesame Street teaching a little Spanish?
Bolded = No.
post #129 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Hold the phone lady, I never said "morons" and I never stated any belief whatsoever in regard to the "becomings" of kids who grow up watching TV.
You're right. I'm sorry I didn't use the actual quote which was "mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes". The "mindless" part translated to "moron" in my memory.

And by "becoming" I just meant while they were watching. Which I believe does accurately represent your meaning from the original quote, does it not?
post #130 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
*sigh* Man, it's just not a saturday if I'm not on MDC saying something wacky, huh? I guess I'm just a weirdo! Sorry for spewing my "weird" everywhere.
I don't agree 100% with what you've said here (I do agree with a lot of it). But, I personally feel that MDC would be a much poorer place without your "weird" everywhere.
post #131 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
I'm actually OK with my son learning social behavior and morals from the shows we choose to watch together. When we come across something that our family does or thinks about differently, we talk about it.
Okay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
More power to you. I'm sure you've made the choice that fits your family best. But when you make statements like a child must be "mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes" "not learning anything" while his parents are "crazy" for allowing his mind to be "poisoned", you need to be prepared for those you have offended to speak up.

I have made the choice that best fits us...and, because I'm all about empowered parenting, I'm really glad that you've found a choice that works for you, too. I certainly understand and respect your right to be offended.

I've very rarely seen a child who was truly interested in what he was watching, not stare with an unblinking eye at it...and yes, have also seen a fair amount of slack jawed, drooling, zombie like behavior....but I can accept that there are children out there who don't completely zone out at the TV.

I wish I could find that link that was posted here a while back..the one which talked about what is happening in the human brain while watching TV.....something about the brain becoming an almost completely passive receptor for the information being funneled into the mind of the watcher.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
I'm not stupid, I know what tv is, what it's good for and what it isn't, my son and I enjoy watching and learning together on a fairly regular basis, and there's no poisoning, harming, or psycho-ninjas involved.

My definition of a "psycho-ninja" handywork is an idea, moral value or thought process implanted into the brain of a chid by the programming which has been designed and created to implant that very idea, value or thought process. It is the skilled and intentional implantation of a value or thought into a kids head.....they use actual child psychologists to design this programming...to best reach kids and instill these values and ideas. It is an intentional and on going effort on the part of producers or whoever, to produce programming which more effectively influences/engages children.

You said you don't have a problem with the TV instilling moral values in your child...so, don't worry, that means (by my definition) that you don't have a problem with "psycho-ninjas"...so no biggie then, right?

Wow....imagine the great comforts and convenieces allowed to us in this modern age of digital magic! We don't even have to lift a finger to produce unto the world properly developed, emotionally sensitive children anymore!! The TV box will teach your children language and culture, emotional well roundedness and cute little songs about tying your shoes all at once. It's practically genius! We pack them up and send them to school all day, then when they come home they learn some more, in front of the box-mama. erm, I mean TV....it's never been easier to "raise" kids, has it?
post #132 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
You're right. I'm sorry I didn't use the actual quote which was "mindlessly sitting, gaping mouth, unblinking eyes". The "mindless" part translated to "moron" in my memory.

And by "becoming" I just meant while they were watching. Which I believe does accurately represent your meaning from the original quote, does it not?
Oh, well, in mine, it translated to = passively consuming the trash coming out of the screen in front of them.

And yes...in that sense, "becoming" does fit....as I think children to be the very opposite of passive creatures in their true form....it is during the process of long stretches of "tube time" that they "become" the mindless (passive), slack jawed zombies, with unblinking eyes.
post #133 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
The bottom line is.....it's not good for you. It's not good for you to sit and watch lots of TV. As for what "lots" means to you, in your home, with your kids....none of my business and I don't judge, because again, my views are crazy and I get it. But it isn't good for you....and the crap that they shove into the subtext of this child geared programming is ridiculous and, I believe, directly impedes your ability as a parent to instill your values into your childrens minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
But again....those are MY rigid beliefs.
The bottom line is.....it's just not good for you to have such rigid beliefs. It's not good for you to take such black and white stances on issues in which there are tons of gray areas. But I'm not judging, because my views are crazy and I get it. But it isn't good for you...

See why I'm offended now? You're not talking about your family with all the "yous" up there -- your making assumptions about mine.
post #134 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Wow....imagine the great comforts and convenieces allowed to us in this modern age of digital magic! We don't even have to lift a finger to produce unto the world properly developed, emotionally sensitive children anymore!! The TV box will teach your children language and culture, emotional well roundedness and cute little songs about tying your shoes all at once. It's practically genius! We pack them up and send them to school all day, then when they come home they learn some more, in front of the box-mama. erm, I mean TV....it's never been easier to "raise" kids, has it?
Exactly what I've been saying all along!
post #135 of 144

.


Edited by GoestoShow - 12/10/10 at 6:40pm
post #136 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
The bottom line is.....it's just not good for you to have such rigid beliefs. It's not good for you to take such black and white stances on issues in which there are tons of gray areas. But I'm not judging, because my views are crazy and I get it. But it isn't good for you...

See why I'm offended now? You're not talking about your family with all the "yous" up there -- your making assumptions about mine.
It's NOT good for me to have such rigid beliefs....and I struggle daily with the thought, that my beliefs, if I don't DO something about it, could negativly influence my childrens view of this world. It's why we've bought a house deep in the woods in a small town and won't be taking TV with us and don't consume new products unless they're made locally and eat food which has been grown/raised locally as much as possible. I figure, maybe if we remove ourselves from what drives me so completely insane...I'll have an easier time being less angry about it all the time? A first step...but I guess one in the right direction?

I don't want to walk around angry all the time, I really don't, and I hate engaging in conversations about these things because I become so hostile and in my mind I'm so angry and screaming....but what it boils down to for me is injustice.

It's what I talked about a couple of posts back. It's not chicken that makes me nuts...it's that we are so blind to what they are allowed to do with our chicken before we eat it. It's not water that bugs me, it's that people are told lies about flouride and so, slurp it down without thought, when they wouldn't if someone told them the truth. It's not circ that gets me raging....it's the culture myth that keeps it alive and well, while we call people over seas "barbaric animals" for circ'ing girls.

It's not TV....its the fact that SIX COMPANIES own every single channel on TV. There are six mega corporations which own everything you can possibly view on television...and ONE company which owns the top 1200 radio programs in our country. The same programming geared toward "conservative news watchers" is made by the same people who make the programming geared toward "liberal new watchers"....and that is the beginning of that chain of thought...every element of what we view on TV is designed by someone who is not interested in truly entertaining us or educating our children...the purpose of TV, is plugging in and becoming passive. Got to start them young, too, so that by the time they are adults, their view of the "reality" they live in is firmly cemented and they continue the tradition much loved by MANNNNY people in the free world. Come home, plug in, turn off.

But when we're watching American Idol, Homebuilding Shows, the nightly "news", etc....we;re not talking about the food, the water, the circ, the vax, the fact that swine flu is a joke and the vaccine for it is very suspicious, etc.....we are an unplugged society...or rather, unplugged from reality, VERY MUCH plugged into a reality which has been created to distract, calm us down and make us feel happy. And it does just that. You watch what interests you and what interests you makes your brain happy to watch.

That cycle starts in youth. That's all I'm saying. I don't want a passive mind. I don't want to "get used to" that noise and flashing lights and shattered music in commercials...I don't want to accept the reality laid out in TV programs....there are mamas out there with babies dying on their hips, there are a million bazillion people eating chicken that has stuff in it that shouldn't be consumed by ANYONE, One MILLION civilians have died in Iraq, since our "quest to liberate the people".....I won't numb my mind and take in the Daily Show while all of this is going on. I won't even lend the dignity to "news shows" and watch them, pretending they have anything real to talk to me about. I can't bring myself to do it and I won't train my child to view that as an acceptable source of fun, education, new about the world, etc.

Its. Not. Real.....but when it enters your subconcious, it becomes a part of the overall picture of reality you live in.

Look, I've been laid up in bed with an injury and have no baby today as she's spending the day with MIL and SIL....I could get upset and go on and on...but I think I better unplug myself right now and go on about my business, I've been here way too much the last few days.

You can see where I stand....I'm at a cross roads myself. I don't want to parent with negativity and my child is going to be at an age of asking questions about the world soon enough....so yeah, I'm trying to fight it. I want my kids to make up their own minds about the world and I recognize that there is just as much poison in my rigid, cynical views as there is in the TV box these days...I'm trying. I'm really working on processing and overcoming that....but it's hard, when everywhere I look these days, I see the edges of the facade chipping and peeling away....I see so much in the way of lies and injustice in the world...and I'm mad about it and feel frustrated and don't know where to go from there. You know?
post #137 of 144
And I'm 100% behind every single thing you wrote in that post because it's about you and your choices, and the reasoning behind them, and not about telling me how wrong I am. Absolutely and completely more power to you! And man, you must type fast.
post #138 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
Never once have I seen Jack Hanna talk about emotional sensitivity. I've never heard him ask for the audience to look at the hyena's face, for example, to see what he feels.
I have seen that on some other shows, though. That's factually correct, some kids' shows do have that kind of thing as a part of them.
post #139 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
\
That cycle starts in youth. That's all I'm saying. I don't want a passive mind. I don't want to "get used to" that noise and flashing lights and shattered music in commercials...I don't want to accept the reality laid out in TV programs....there are mamas out there with babies dying on their hips, there are a million bazillion people eating chicken that has stuff in it that shouldn't be consumed by ANYONE, One MILLION civilians have died in Iraq, since our "quest to liberate the people".....I won't numb my mind and take in the Daily Show while all of this is going on. I won't even lend the dignity to "news shows" and watch them, pretending they have anything real to talk to me about. I can't bring myself to do it and I won't train my child to view that as an acceptable source of fun, education, new about the world, etc.

....I see so much in the way of lies and injustice in the world...and I'm mad about it and feel frustrated and don't know where to go from there. You know?
I don't know...I watched a fair amount of television as a kid and it didn't cause me to have a passive mind. I've always been a bit of a questioner.

Re to many of the political agendas/ignoring major social issues: there are SO many amazing documentaries addressing these crisises on On Demand/Netflix/etc. I've had some shocking exposure to various issues facing worldwide populations by watching random late night documentaries. Lately DH and I have been working to integrate even more environmental practices into our lives since watching Eco-Trip -- I mean, I knew nothing about gold mining, sustainable salmon fishing, etc. other than a brief idea. I knew very little about whaling prior to watching "Whale Wars" and have since been in contact with several organizations in regards to what actually constitutes "humane" whale killing. While no doubt many people watch tv for entertainment only, there is informative and uncensored content out there. I like being exposed to the controversies and arguments. Even c-span on Sunday afternoons during the election was food for a lot of stimulating conversation and digging research for DH and I.

I am personally a voracious reader and perpetual student but I'll be the first to admit that television has actually exposed me to many things I never gave a passing thought about. It hasn't impacted my desire to research or read...it hasn't taken me away from "real life". I'd even argue it has enriched it on many occasions. Watching "House of Babies" and all the natural, midwife attended births while pregnant with DD1 gave me much insight and confidence into birthing naturally. I was scared and seeing woman after woman face their fears triumphantly...well, I thought of many of them while in labor. It helped more than my hypno studies and class...I thought of them as real people who'd shared their intimate births (and I could see the process, not just read about it). I don't know anyone IRL who has given birth without drugs, so for me the show was the place where I could see others on that journey.

I have a tendency to stew and get caught up in thought trains, too...sometimes, for me, the whodunnit of CSI or mind games of Survivor serve as a welcome relief from my worries about the world or schoolwork. It's okay to view it as entertainment too, yk? It doesn't all just have to be syndicated crap. It can have value to a person...and the person can remain a free-thinking individual.

As for commercials, like the PP, we don't watch them at all thanks to our $8/mo DVR. In fact, I don't remember the last time I watched a commercial. It was that long ago. Even as a child I can remember commercials making me uncomfortable. My parents were strongly anti-materialism and we had many, many discussions about being grateful for what we had and in service to those less fortunate. Thus, seeing the opulence displayed on tv often made me feel less materialistic than otherwise. We didn't ask for things we saw on tv.

Except that Crocodile Mile slip n' slide. Man I wanted that.
post #140 of 144
So if you aren't equating learning Chinese with commercialism, why bring it up as part of your anti-TV posts in the first place?

I mean, I really can totally get behind "I don't want my child to learn commercialism," I can even understand "I don't want my child to learn emotional sensitivity from TV shows" (though it doesn't bother me), but I don't get where foreign languages are relevant one way or another.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › tell me if this is too much TV