or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Just got into a fight with the school nurse..new update post 107,I WON!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got into a fight with the school nurse..new update post 107,I WON!

post #1 of 131
Thread Starter 
But I won!She was telling me that I needed a letter from my pastor(which I don't have one) to be able to claim a religious exemption.She asked my religion,and when i told her she couldn't ask me that,she got all upset.She even gave me a letter stating the city requires it!I'm in RI,and all it is is a form.I fill it out,sign it,and that's it.I've been doing it for 3 years now!

They also knew all of my dd's prior vaxes from when she was a baby.How did they get that information?!?I never told the school,and I don't remember it being filled out on her health forms.

Off to call the city and the state health dept about that letter.Hopefully I can change things!
post #2 of 131
Congrats!

I've been fighting with the Providence School Department all summer, regarding their ridiculous "homeschool packet." I'm still waiting to find out if I won.
post #3 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldey View Post
But I won!She was telling me that I needed a letter from my pastor(which I don't have one) to be able to claim a religious exemption.She asked my religion,and when i told her she couldn't ask me that,she got all upset.She even gave me a letter stating the city requires it!I'm in RI,and all it is is a form.I fill it out,sign it,and that's it.I've been doing it for 3 years now!

They also knew all of my dd's prior vaxes from when she was a baby.How did they get that information?!?I never told the school,and I don't remember it being filled out on her health forms.

Off to call the city and the state health dept about that letter.Hopefully I can change things!

As long as you know the law...you can always win these types of arguments because 100% of the time, you know more than they do! As to you question about how they knew about past vaccines, your child is in the RI immunization registry. Not sure you you can opt out of your state's registry. I would if you can!
post #4 of 131
Thread Starter 
Good luck,I hope you win!
post #5 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
As long as you know the law...you can always win these types of arguments because 100% of the time, you know more than they do! As to you question about how they knew about past vaccines, your child is in the RI immunization registry. Not sure you you can opt out of your state's registry. I would if you can!

I'll have to find out if I can opt out.It's ridiculous that our dc's medical info is so available:.
post #6 of 131
Thread Starter 

Things didn't go as well as I thought

The nurse is still pushing that I need a letter.Here is what the letter she gave me says:

Woonsocket School Department
Religious Exemption Regulations Decided Upon 2004

Students with religious exemptions for immunizations must provide a letter from their place of worship which documents that they are in good standing with said organization.These letters must be furnished according to the following schedule:
(as outlined in nursing procedure book)

For entry to school(at any level as a new student)
For entry to Kindergarten
For entry to Middle School
For entry to High School

This for Woonsocket ONLY.I don't think this is legal at all.any help would be appriciated!!Thanks.
post #7 of 131
What does the state law say? State law trumps theirs.
post #8 of 131
this old thread may help you. http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=953402

You may have to get a lawyer to assert your rights for you
post #9 of 131
There is a judgement in the sticky from the Supreme Court that says you don't need to provide a religion since no religion officially opposes vaxes.

If you are really in a bind there is always this religion which was set up by Chiros as anti-vax called Congregation of Universal Wisdom. They will write letters for exemptions for a fee. http://home.comcast.net/~cuw/index.html
post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
What does the state law say? State law trumps theirs.
:
post #11 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
What does the state law say? State law trumps theirs.
Exactly. School policy does not = law.
post #12 of 131
Here's the statute:

Quote:
§ 16-38-2 Immunization. – (a) Every person upon entering any public or private school including any college or university in this state as a pupil shall furnish to the administrative head of the school evidence that the person has been immunized against any diseases that may from time to time be prescribed by regulation of the director of health and tested for tuberculosis, or a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the person is not a fit subject for immunization for medical reasons, or a certificate signed by the pupil, if over eighteen (18) years of age, or by the parent or guardian stating that immunization and/or testing for communicable diseases is contrary to that person's religious beliefs. It shall be the responsibility of the administrative head of the school to secure compliance with these regulations.
Fill out the form and provide them a copy of the law. I doubt Woonsocket has the money to take you to court over this. FWIW, a homeschooling friend of mine in Woonsocket has also had trouble with the officials there in that they demand more than the law requires.

The law does not say that you must attend a place of worship or get approval from your pastor. It says you must sign a certificate documenting your objection. That is all.
post #13 of 131
post #14 of 131
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone.I just talked to the health department,and according to them they can do this. I'm sure she is wrong though.She also said there is no law on vaccines in RI.??I'm going to print out the law(thanks 2xy,that's exactly what I needed).I guess I'm going to have to call a lawyer and see what I can do.I am so upset over this right now.Let's see how it goes at my ds's school tomorrow if the nurse is in.This is the Middle School saying this(dd's first year),my ds is in 3rd grade and I've never had an issue at that school.I may end up home schooling again if this doesn't work out,but I really want to fight this.
post #15 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldey View Post
Thanks everyone.I just talked to the health department,and according to them they can do this. I'm sure she is wrong though.She also said there is no law on vaccines in RI.??I'm going to print out the law(thanks 2xy,that's exactly what I needed).I guess I'm going to have to call a lawyer and see what I can do.I am so upset over this right now.Let's see how it goes at my ds's school tomorrow if the nurse is in.This is the Middle School saying this(dd's first year),my ds is in 3rd grade and I've never had an issue at that school.I may end up home schooling again if this doesn't work out,but I really want to fight this.
School official and public health officials routinely give out false information to parenst about vaccination exemption laws. They either know and lie to you on purpose, or the are clueless themselves. You have the law on your side and I would just print out the law, and confidently state that you will be contacting your attorney to get in contact with them since they are not abdiding by the law. Anyone that has eyeballs in their head, is not blind and is not illiterate can read the law. I can't see how they can try and make you submit a letter once they have READ the law for themselves
post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
School official and public health officials routinely give out false information to parenst about vaccination exemption laws. They either know and lie to you on purpose, or the are clueless themselves. You have the law on your side and I would just print out the law, and confidently state that you will be contacting your attorney to get in contact with them since they are not abiding by the law. Anyone that has eyeballs in their head, is not blind and is not illiterate can read the law. I can't see how they can try and make you submit a letter once they have READ the law for themselves
Yup.
post #17 of 131
post #18 of 131
Thread Starter 
Marnica,I think you are exactly right.I think in this case they just don't know what the law is.Juvysen,thanks for the link.I wish I could afford the $89 just to end this.But at the same time I want to fight it,so other parents don't have to go through what I am.I did contact a lawyer,I'm just waiting for a call back.I'll let you all know how that goes.
post #19 of 131
If I was you I would ask that the school district send you their request in writing if they want a letter from your pastor. If they are STUPID enough to make this illegal request in writing, I would hand it over to my lawyer immediately because you have a very winnable lawsuit on your hands.

ALWAYS ask for them to submit their requests and questions to you in writing. You'd be surprised how easily this will get them off your back because by the time they get around to trying to find someone willing to do it, they have usually figured out they are WRONG.
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
ALWAYS ask for them to submit their requests and questions to you in writing.
This, too.

The school department is annoyed with me because I won't provide them with my phone number. I do everything in writing, and want everything in writing from them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Just got into a fight with the school nurse..new update post 107,I WON!