My DH is from India, he says that Indian parents spank/beat their own kids, but not their grandchildren
. This is referring (as a generalization) to the generation now in their 50s to 70s, I have no idea what current parents are doing.
From our trips to India, this big issues were:
* overfeeding of child, forcing food when sick
* safety issues with auto-rickshaws and no-seatbelt cars
* frequent loud street noises caused a nightmare after we got home
* mosquitoes inside the house, coming out at night
* continuous spraying of permethrin inside the house (does nothing - mosquitoes are resistant)
* food cleanliness/preparation standards very different from USA
* excess unhealthy sugary treats
* refusal to childproof
* many many issues related to parents and adult children living permanently in different countries and the kids feeling guilty.
Sigh. Other than that we had a good time.