or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaska Chat for September - Page 11

post #201 of 237
Thread Starter 
I really want to know why mothering keeps me subscribed on threads that I've taken myself off of (and are 3 years old now) and keeps sending me updates, but dumps my updates for this thread EVERY.SINGLE.MONTH. Grrrrrrr Seriously, If I don't see an update in my inbox, I forget about it. My brain is mush!

It's been a horrendous few weeks for me. Lots of family upheaval, tons of stress and then a car accident on Monday. Thankfully the kid (who didn't have a license) was driving his mom's car that was insured, but our business vehicle is down for the count with almost 5k in damage. All the while, my husband was in California, yet again. So everything fell onto me, who was already stressed to the max. Thankfully he's coming home tomorrow and I'd love nothing more than to tag team him in the airport to hand off our daughter and take a few weeks to myself, just to relax and unwind. Oh well, it sounded good in theory anyway.

It's feeling like it's *this close* to snowing today.
post #202 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My mom called about a half hour ago to tell me she is coming into town. She has a hair appointment at noon. She installed her carseats in her car so she can take me, my girls and my husband's 12 year old son somewhere today. It's rainy outside, otherwise I'd have us go to a park. The rain isn't so bad, just that Sophia would get freezing cold in no time at all once she got wet, and she'd get wet fast. The only thing I thought I could do is see if the Fred Meyer in town has that play area that Eagle River has so the girls can play in there while I browse casually around the store with my mom, but I don't know if the Fred Meyer here has a play area. Besides, that doesn't give Johnathan anything fun to do. Does anyone have any quick suggestions? I'm not the most spontaneous person so this offer leaves me a bit blank on ideas.
little late now, but I'm pretty sure all the Fred meyers have playlands
post #203 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
little late now, but I'm pretty sure all the Fred meyers have playlands
Hehe, it's okay. I called all of them. The only Fred Meyer in Anchorage that has a playland is the one way down on Dimond and my mom understandably didn't want to drive way down there. We ended up staying at my house, as usual, talking, playing, coloring, working on these preschool/kindergarten books my girls play with every day, while Johnathan enjoyed coloring in his more detailed coloring book. Then we watched a couple Dr. Seuss beginner book videos we got off freecycle... The Lorax, Fox in Socks, The Sneetches, etc.
post #204 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
I really want to know why mothering keeps me subscribed on threads that I've taken myself off of (and are 3 years old now) and keeps sending me updates, but dumps my updates for this thread EVERY.SINGLE.MONTH. Grrrrrrr Seriously, If I don't see an update in my inbox, I forget about it. My brain is mush!

It's been a horrendous few weeks for me. Lots of family upheaval, tons of stress and then a car accident on Monday. Thankfully the kid (who didn't have a license) was driving his mom's car that was insured, but our business vehicle is down for the count with almost 5k in damage. All the while, my husband was in California, yet again. So everything fell onto me, who was already stressed to the max. Thankfully he's coming home tomorrow and I'd love nothing more than to tag team him in the airport to hand off our daughter and take a few weeks to myself, just to relax and unwind. Oh well, it sounded good in theory anyway.

It's feeling like it's *this close* to snowing today.
Well, about the subbing, it is technically a new thread every month, so you do have to sub to each new one. I don't know why you get email updates. I don't get any, I just log into my User CP and read threads that have new posts.

Was your car paid off already, or can you use your GAP insurance? I'm afraid that is the only thing I'll be worrying about when we use this year's PFD to pay off our van loan... no more GAP insurance. Then if our van is totaled, we'll have nothing.

I sure hope it doesn't snow before my husband fixes the roof. He's off work today. He's on his computer playing WoW saying that he's just waiting a bit to see if it warms up a little like it did yesterday. But, he has to take his son back at 4:30, right in the middle of the day, so if he doesn't start on the roof soon, he'll have to wait til after, and by then, I'm sure he'll have come up with some other excuse... like, it's too late, I'm too tired now, oh look, a flying saucer!
post #205 of 237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Well, about the subbing, it is technically a new thread every month, so you do have to sub to each new one. I don't know why you get email updates. I don't get any, I just log into my User CP and read threads that have new posts.

Was your car paid off already, or can you use your GAP insurance? I'm afraid that is the only thing I'll be worrying about when we use this year's PFD to pay off our van loan... no more GAP insurance. Then if our van is totaled, we'll have nothing.

I sure hope it doesn't snow before my husband fixes the roof. He's off work today. He's on his computer playing WoW saying that he's just waiting a bit to see if it warms up a little like it did yesterday. But, he has to take his son back at 4:30, right in the middle of the day, so if he doesn't start on the roof soon, he'll have to wait til after, and by then, I'm sure he'll have come up with some other excuse... like, it's too late, I'm too tired now, oh look, a flying saucer!
I sub every month... and it will send me email reminders for a couple of weeks and then nothing. Yet, I still get updates from a thread that I've unsubscribed to at least 4 times and haven't participated on in 3 years LOL.

Thankfully the truck still books quite high (some advantage for the obscene amount they charge for these things) and it's only a couple of years old, so we have no worries as far as losing anything on it. The kids' moms insurance company will pay the 5k and we'll get it fixed. They are even going to cover a rental for a van or full size SUV because we need something quite large to haul our inventory. As accidents go, we were very blessed that no one was hurt, and he had coverage. It could have been so much worse.

My hubby got home today I can finally relax a bit!
post #206 of 237
I think the email updates have to do with you visiting mothering.. because as long as I visit the website SOMEWHERE, then I will get updates to the threads I am subscribed to whether I check on them directly or not... but if I don't come back for a while, then I don't get any more email updates and specific threads can be pages longer than the last email update I got.
post #207 of 237
I think I will try out this Subbing thing!
post #208 of 237
Hey ANC mamas, just out of curiosity, can you think of a good pediatrician or family doc there? Ours is OK for what we use him for (a "pediatrician of record" in case Ike gets sick and we have to go in), and we have a provider here in Bethel, but I'm always on the lookout for someone a bit more... um... relaxed, but still willing to work with us from afar (our current pediatrician is GREAT at helping from a distance).
post #209 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post

I sure hope it doesn't snow before my husband fixes the roof. He's off work today. He's on his computer playing WoW saying that he's just waiting a bit to see if it warms up a little like it did yesterday. But, he has to take his son back at 4:30, right in the middle of the day, so if he doesn't start on the roof soon, he'll have to wait til after, and by then, I'm sure he'll have come up with some other excuse... like, it's too late, I'm too tired now, oh look, a flying saucer!
My husband patched the roof yesterday.
post #210 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband patched the roof yesterday.
OH that is a cause for a celebration!!!
post #211 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband patched the roof yesterday.
Wahoo!!
post #212 of 237
H1N1 Vaccination Information!!!!

Quote:
1. The CDC recommends all pregnant women receive the vaccine. (Okay, we all knew that.)



2. If women choose to follow this recommendation, they need to avoid the live attenuated virus (nasal spray). It can infect the fetus and cause damage to the fetus or miscarriage. Any woman who is engaging in unprotected sex or trying to conceive needs to avoid it as well. The CDC is not educating the public on this point. Spread the word!



3. The vaccine has not been tested in pregnant women. (For true informed consent, women need to know this.)



4. If they want to avoid exposure to mercury preservative (thermiasol), they need to ask for the single dose syringe, not an injection from a multi-dose package.



Here is the documentation from the CDC website of the above info available at: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...ant_qa.htm#HCP



Q: Is there a particular kind of flu vaccine that pregnant women should get? Are there flu vaccines that pregnant women should not get?

A. There are two type of flu vaccine. Pregnant women should get the "flu shot"— an inactivated vaccine (containing fragments of killed influenza virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in pregnant women.

The other type of flu vaccine — nasal-spray flu vaccine (sometimes called LAIV for “live attenuated influenza vaccine)—is not currently approved for use in pregnant women. This vaccine is made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu). LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.

Q: What safety studies have been done on the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine and have any been done in pregnant women?

A: A number of clinical trials which test 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in healthy children and adults are underway. These studies are being conducted by the National Institutes of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Studies of 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in pregnant women are expected to begin in September.



Q: Does the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine have preservative in it?

A: There is no evidence that thimerosal (used as a preservative in vaccine packaged in multi-dose vials) is harmful to a pregnant woman or a fetus. However, because some women are concerned about exposure to preservatives during pregnancy, manufacturers will produce preservative-free seasonal and 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines in single dose syringes for pregnant women and small children. CDC recommends that pregnant women may receive influenza vaccine with or without thimerosal.
post #213 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband patched the roof yesterday.

He must have been bit by the snow bug as well.
Everyone I know has been scrambling big time, ever since the mountains turned white
post #214 of 237
Quote:
3. The vaccine has not been tested in pregnant women. (For true informed consent, women need to know this.)
Trails have begun in pregnant woman in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. However, they trials are not yet complete & I am not sure if a completion date is set. They are checking cord blood as part of the trials, so presumably the trials won't be completed until all woman in the group give birth. However, it should also be noted that the H1N1 flu vaccine is basically a recipe variation of the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in production for the past 10 years - the virus changes year to year regardless.

Also, just another note, the live vaccine/flu mist is preservative free. It is also more effective in kids and young adults at preventing flu. But because it is a live but weakenend virus is has more contraindications - the preggos & under 2 kids, extreme immune comprimised & asmathics (asthmatics because its never a good idea to shoot a gel up the nose of an asthmatic, regardless of what it is). For some reason that I don't understand, it also is not effective in folks over 49. Personally I'd opt for a shot any day over stuff up my nose, but for my son, I'd pick the nasal "mist" with no mercury than a shot with mercury.

I was thinking I'd start a thread here when I get some more info in a couple of weeks about what the Anchorage School District is doing with the h1n1 vax. Right now everything is still a moving target, but there should be some pretty firm info available soon - what forms of the vax is getting shipped to AK, hopefully what ASD is going to receive of the shipment, and when the vax clinics are going to be scheduled.
post #215 of 237

Birth Pool Question

I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a birth pool. I'm planning on using a pool primarily for laboring - my tub is too small to get comfortable in when I'm not preggo, let alone now. I'm planning on birthing out of the pool on my midwife's advice.)

I'm have in my budget enough for one of the $100-200 pools, but I'm wondering if I should use the $ elsewhere and just get a cheapy pool. My midwife has her supply kit though inhishands.com - and they sell a $32 kiddy pool and the $120 La Bassine. But I know there are lots of others on the market, but I haven't looked at AK shipping options.

One consideration I have is the only place I can set up the pool, is in my living room which has a cork floor - so I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility of leaks. We'll probably put a tarp down with towels on top - but still concerned about quality.
post #216 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Trails have begun in pregnant woman in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. However, they trials are not yet complete & I am not sure if a completion date is set. They are checking cord blood as part of the trials, so presumably the trials won't be completed until all woman in the group give birth. However, it should also be noted that the H1N1 flu vaccine is basically a recipe variation of the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in production for the past 10 years - the virus changes year to year regardless.

Also, just another note, the live vaccine/flu mist is preservative free. It is also more effective in kids and young adults at preventing flu. But because it is a live but weakenend virus is has more contraindications - the preggos & under 2 kids, extreme immune comprimised & asmathics (asthmatics because its never a good idea to shoot a gel up the nose of an asthmatic, regardless of what it is). For some reason that I don't understand, it also is not effective in folks over 49. Personally I'd opt for a shot any day over stuff up my nose, but for my son, I'd pick the nasal "mist" with no mercury than a shot with mercury.

I was thinking I'd start a thread here when I get some more info in a couple of weeks about what the Anchorage School District is doing with the h1n1 vax. Right now everything is still a moving target, but there should be some pretty firm info available soon - what forms of the vax is getting shipped to AK, hopefully what ASD is going to receive of the shipment, and when the vax clinics are going to be scheduled.

thank you for the clarifications.

I too am curious about the h1N1 in schools. They sent home a note over the weekend (which we got yesterday due to the kids being sick, ironic) and it stated the schools were getting the vax, and they were going to vax at school for free. It was OPTIONAL and the form sent home was to be returned if you DID want your kids vax'd so they could get a head count.

That is all I got.
post #217 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a birth pool. I'm planning on using a pool primarily for laboring - my tub is too small to get comfortable in when I'm not preggo, let alone now. I'm planning on birthing out of the pool on my midwife's advice.)

I'm have in my budget enough for one of the $100-200 pools, but I'm wondering if I should use the $ elsewhere and just get a cheapy pool. My midwife has her supply kit though inhishands.com - and they sell a $32 kiddy pool and the $120 La Bassine. But I know there are lots of others on the market, but I haven't looked at AK shipping options.

One consideration I have is the only place I can set up the pool, is in my living room which has a cork floor - so I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility of leaks. We'll probably put a tarp down with towels on top - but still concerned about quality.
We used the $32 pool for DS's labor and birth. It was very comfortable and held up very well! I used a AquaDoula for DD2's birth and the cheapy inflatable one was actually more comfortable!
post #218 of 237
Yeah, all schools are PODs--Points of Distribution. Teachers are strongly encouraged to get the flu vax but optional for all.
post #219 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Yeah, all schools are PODs--Points of Distribution. Teachers are strongly encouraged to get the flu vax but optional for all.
Yep, the one good thing I see in that is that because it is for an "emergency" situation in the community, the schools that are PODs don't have to do additional emergency drills- so that is a little more class time that way.

I was pretty dead set against the swine vax, but then I heard that people can get swine flu multiple times... man I wouldn't want that multiple times.. geesh. Now I don't know- but am certainly determined to do some more research.
post #220 of 237
Well you guys are pretty much the best ever.

You were right on the money recommending the birth center, you gave great advice about driving the Alaska Highway, and I loved the pediatrician recommendations. We saw Dr. Foote today and not only did we receive several compliments on the cloth diapers, people were happy about our homebirth and co-sleeping, and he offered vaccination information by asking if we were vaccinators.

I don't generally worry too much about what other people think of my choices, but I didn't wan't to be one of 'those' parents. It's really nice to be reminded that we are not crazy for going the route that we have and that we are not strange for actually thinking about things that will be affecting our daughter.

So thanks, everyone!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii