Hi there, joy, I was just in your boat last week (remember me in Seattle too?
) and was having such a hard time deciding on doing the version or not. I tried EVERYTHING else, repeatedly. At first I decided not to, and that was such a relief, especially when my dh totally supported me in that. And then, maybe because I felt in control of my choice and I had a breech homebirth mw lined up and both she and a good mw friend recommended it, I decided to try a version once and let baby decide if being turned was okay.
The risk of c/s at the procedure really scared the bleep out of me, but my mws reassured me that in 27 years they had only had one person have an adverse reaction - and she was recently from Latin America and had started her pregnancy malnourished, so there were probably other factors involved. Even then, mom and baby were fine after the emergency c/s. They were also very supportive saying baby will decide if being turned is not good for/okay with them and will flip around again if there is a good reason, and they were fine with that and me trusting baby.
So, I did it, and it was very successful - first try. I do believe the other things I tried first - chiro 5 times, acupuncture 3 times, pulsatilla everyday, inversions, swimming - helped provide the best environment for the version to work; I even did chiro and acupuncture and pulstilla in the morning before my version appt. I also made sure to be very well hydrated to make sure there was enough amniotic fluid. It was a bit uncomfortable, but not painful (maybe because I used Hypnobabies, docs were a bit disbelieving that it didn't hurt). Now just hoping it sticks (that was Wednesday).
That said, I know what a hard decision it is, and read a lot of negative version experiences here. I absolutely hated going to the hospital for it (UW Medical), but I also hate hospitals, and no offense to anyone else, but I can't imagine having my baby in one unless there was a dire emergency. If it hadn't been successful, or had been painful, I might have regretted it, but I did want to feel I had tried everything, JIC. As it is, I do recommend it personally, but wouldn't wish it on anyone - just being there for several hours, in the room, in the gown, with the drug that makes your heart race (not too bad, but still), plus the emergency IV (which was the most painful part due to an inexperienced nurse who tried several times, leaving my hand bruised). Not trying to scare you, just want you to know everything - be prepared and have support with you.
And yes, sooner is better, some places won't do it after 37-38 weeks. I did wait til I was full term - 37 weeks - because I was not going to go with a c/s if my water broke (just for fetal distress- very rare).
Only you know what is best for you and your baby. Trust yourself and have your options lined up is the best advice I can give. Best of luck!!!