Sadly, my small town just had it's first confirmed H1N1 death.
We just got the "school safety" flyer informing us that any child with flu symptoms needs to be removed from school for at least 7 days following the last day of symptoms, and removed from school for 5 days if any family member has flu symptoms.
We hadn't planned on getting this vax, but now we're second guessing that decision. I have the feeling I wont be at peace with any decision I make, given the stakes.
Hopefully vitamin c, echinacea, elderberry syrup, obsessive handwashing, relative isolation, and hyper vigilance will do the trick. But DH works at the college where the student died and that scares me, you know? Our family practice dr is very laid back about vax and they've been very up front with the potential complications of this vax... but they just announced they're going to hold vax clinics once the vax is available and they are "encouraging" everyone to get this vax due to the fact that H1N1 is in the community already and it's still really early in the flu season.