so about a week ago my mom sent me an article on ADHD in adult women and said she thinks we both have it. i thought it was the stupidest thing she ever said
then she brought me 2 books by halloweel - driven to distraction and delivered from distraction - and now I'm just confused.
there were so many things in the book that describe me perfectly, but then others that don't at all. i definitely have some characteristics that people with ADD have, but not sure if I actually have ADD.
I don't think i can afford a diagnosis right now, and it doesn't seem bad enough to warrant meds at this point anyway.
here are some reasons i think i might have ADD:
- my desk/office/house are a mess. i keep saying i need to get organized but it never happens
- i am constantly misplacing things
- i always put off doing things
- i have lots of ideas but rarely get around to doing them
- i get overwhelmed/stressed very easily when i have a lot of "balls in the air"
- i was hyper as a child - my parents brought me to a dr once because they were worried about hyperactivity but the dr said i was fine
- i get bored with things like yoga, poetry, long movies, etc and i prefer things with more stimulation
- my mind is always racing and jumps from one thing to another
- i am a very "to the point" kind of person and long meetings frustrate me to no end and people who say the same thing 20 different ways or take forever to make their point
- i always need to fidgit with something in my hands - a pen, ntoebook, anything
- i love having people over but the thought of all the cooking and cleaning and shopping that it requires prevents me from doing it more and stresses me when it does happen
here are some things that don't really fit with ADD
- i love to read (although i do skip over unnecessary details to get to the point and i get bored with poetry because it takes too much work to figure it out)
- i've always done very well in school and always did well on tests (for example i got 1550 on my SATs - not trying to brag or anything, but i think the fact that i did so well on tests/in school is the major thing that is making me think i don't have ADD)
- i never had behavioral problems as a child or got in trouble in school
- i'm not impulsive in what i say - i'm a bit of a people pleaser so i tend to choose my words carefully especially in new situations
so i know none of you can diagnose me or anything, but i'm just wondering for those of you who have been diagnosed with ADD, what were your major symptoms? do you fit all the typical signs, or are there some areas where you don't fit?
Thanks, reading through this thread has been really helpful