or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › Green tinged Mucus-y Poop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Green tinged Mucus-y Poop

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My babe has had this issue for over a week. I've cut out dairy almost completely, getting very little on occasion. I'll cut it out 100% but...shouldn't she be getting at least a little bit better by now? Because I have seen absolutely zero improvement. I'm block feeding as well to avoid a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.

Do I need to go on a hardcore elimination diet or what? Seriously that is so hard right now. This baby is so incredibly high maintenance I can't get ANYTHING done and that includes cooking.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
My babe has had this issue for over a week. I've cut out dairy almost completely, getting very little on occasion. I'll cut it out 100% but...shouldn't she be getting at least a little bit better by now? Because I have seen absolutely zero improvement. I'm block feeding as well to avoid a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.

Do I need to go on a hardcore elimination diet or what? Seriously that is so hard right now. This baby is so incredibly high maintenance I can't get ANYTHING done and that includes cooking.
The green mucousy poops are caused by SOY for us...I saw on an earlier thread that you were questioning soy before, is that right? I ate something (accidentally) with soy lechithin in it on Friday and just today her poops are looking more normal again. Before I cut out dairy her poops were mucousy, but yellow.
I would try completely eliminating all dairy for another week, and then if no improvement cut soy.
I'm off dairy, soy, gluten, egg, beef, and most corn and it is HARD. In another week I'm gonna try adding corn back, then eggs, then beef. I know for sure dairy and soy give DD issues, so I'll stay off them.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaheids View Post
The green mucousy poops are caused by SOY for us...I saw on an earlier thread that you were questioning soy before, is that right? I ate something (accidentally) with soy lechithin in it on Friday and just today her poops are looking more normal again. Before I cut out dairy her poops were mucousy, but yellow.
I would try completely eliminating all dairy for another week, and then if no improvement cut soy.
I'm off dairy, soy, gluten, egg, beef, and most corn and it is HARD. In another week I'm gonna try adding corn back, then eggs, then beef. I know for sure dairy and soy give DD issues, so I'll stay off them.
Yes, soy would be my next guess after dairy.

Of course within hours of posting this her poop went back to normal. Isn't that always the way? So I'm guessing it was dairy after all since I didn't eliminate soy. I guess it just took longer than usual to get all the dairy cleaned out.
post #4 of 8
Yikes! That sounds awful... hope you can resolve it soon!
post #5 of 8
When we were going crazy trying to track down dd1's issues, I found it a lot easier (well, relatively speaking) to use a total elimination diet. I used the one suggested by Dr Sear (it's in the baby book and on the web). That way I cut out more or less everything and added stuff back in one item at a time. It helped to isolate the food issues for dd1 and a side benefit was it helped me clean up my own diet since I got out of certain food/food additive habits and just didn't add them back.

So maybe if your top one or two allergens are removed and you continue to have problems, the whole hog elmination diet might be an option? I know it's no fun, but at least the food is really simple to prepare! boring as heck, but simple.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
When we were going crazy trying to track down dd1's issues, I found it a lot easier (well, relatively speaking) to use a total elimination diet. I used the one suggested by Dr Sear (it's in the baby book and on the web). That way I cut out more or less everything and added stuff back in one item at a time. It helped to isolate the food issues for dd1 and a side benefit was it helped me clean up my own diet since I got out of certain food/food additive habits and just didn't add them back.

So maybe if your top one or two allergens are removed and you continue to have problems, the whole hog elmination diet might be an option? I know it's no fun, but at least the food is really simple to prepare! boring as heck, but simple.

I thought about that, but I seriously was not able to prepare ANYTHING at all before. The baby was EXTREMELY fussy, wouldn't go to anyone else, and was up every 1-2 hours, up fussing on and off for hours at a time.....gah! It was horrific. That's why I was saying, a hardcore elimination diet would have been almost impossible.

I don't know if it was a growth spurt or food intolerance or both but it was brutal. Thankfully, my baby appears to be normal again, sleeping in longer chunks and way less fussy. Her poop went back to normal too (like hours after I posted, doesn't that just figure?). I guess it just took longer to get the dairy out of her system than it did with my other kids. And it appears she's way more sensitive to a MUCH smaller amount than they were.
post #7 of 8
I'm glad there seems to be a single culprit! Food allergies are just ick. The friend I mentioned (with the two kiddos with conflicting allergies) tandem nursed for a while but had to stop since there were just too few food options for her to eat!

Hang in there and hopefully by being hyper vigilant now, as babe grows she'll be able to tolerate a now and then miniscule ooops in your diet.

(I'm spoiled... dh does a lot of the cooking. Or at least, the pre-cooking. So he'll grill up a dozen chicken breasts or make a huge pile of hummus or bake a shelf full of the gluten free biscuits or create giant lasagnas for the freezer. All I have to do is assemble the actual meal from the pre-cooked bits. I really need to organize our batch cooking better though and I realized the other night that I have to be "seen" cooking more... our 4yo was asking about a lesbian couple we know who are TTC and she finally decided that they didn't have a baby yet since "without a dada, there wont be anyone to cook" and a baby would worry about that lack. Yeah. Totally need to start cooking when dd1 is watching! )
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I'm glad there seems to be a single culprit! Food allergies are just ick. The friend I mentioned (with the two kiddos with conflicting allergies) tandem nursed for a while but had to stop since there were just too few food options for her to eat!

Hang in there and hopefully by being hyper vigilant now, as babe grows she'll be able to tolerate a now and then miniscule ooops in your diet.

(I'm spoiled... dh does a lot of the cooking. Or at least, the pre-cooking. So he'll grill up a dozen chicken breasts or make a huge pile of hummus or bake a shelf full of the gluten free biscuits or create giant lasagnas for the freezer. All I have to do is assemble the actual meal from the pre-cooked bits. I really need to organize our batch cooking better though and I realized the other night that I have to be "seen" cooking more... our 4yo was asking about a lesbian couple we know who are TTC and she finally decided that they didn't have a baby yet since "without a dada, there wont be anyone to cook" and a baby would worry about that lack. Yeah. Totally need to start cooking when dd1 is watching! )
Oh you are so lucky! My DH can't cook to save his life. He used to do bachelor food (mac and cheese, grilled cheese, ect) ok but now that we have a harder-to-use gas range and he has only ever used electric, he can't even do that. Our roommate cooks sometimes, but I can't depend on that for all my meals. Plus he never cooks health type food. Mostly he BBQs or makes italian/jewish type foods.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › Green tinged Mucus-y Poop