or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Striving For A More Simple/Minimalist Life
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Striving For A More Simple/Minimalist Life - Page 7

post #121 of 199
*subbing*

I'd like to join in also. Like some others here we try to live simply but the clutter creeps in. We did a major de-cluttering marthon about 4 months ago but I still think there are some things that need to go.

Most of it is stuff we think we could sell but haven't taken pictures or posted them to craigslist yet. So that's my goal this weekend. To get all the stuff that we want to sell together, take pictures, write up descriptions and places ads on craigslist and/or ebay. And to keep me accountable, I will be back on Monday to report my progress.
post #122 of 199
Quote:
Or keep it at your house to play with when we come over?"
Thats an idea. I have no idea how they even expect us to get gifts home honestly. We drive a ford focus and we have 2 kids. Im just going to make them keep most of the toys there. Im going to let my son bring like 3 things home. And Im going to make him pick out 5 things that he thinks hes too big for to either put up for the baby or pass down to my nephew. Im taking all the little junk toys and getting rid of them, and Im throwing away anything thats broken, or missing most of the pieces, etc.

Ill have to read that website. I know we're never going to be "minimalists". My DH would fight me all the way! Im pretty good about getting rid of things we dont use though.
post #123 of 199
Coming back to give a report:

I was able to get (what is to become) the workout room cleared out. I got all the stuff except a collectible nativity scene photographed and on Craigslist. I even sold something already. I'm giving it two weeks then taking the stuff to Goodwill if it hasn't sold. I need to do more research on the price for the nativity scene but I did get it all photographed, so I'd say mission accomplished!

**What do you find to be the most challenging aspect of living simply?**
post #124 of 199
Thread Starter 
Without a doubt the hardest thing about simple living for me is having to cook all. the. time. It never ends!
post #125 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
**What do you find to be the most challenging aspect of living simply?**
For me, its realizing you cannot say- Come Monday I will live a simple life! Going cold turkey is a great way to fail. Its something you need to do over time and really just grow into it. For us, it was a journey and just fitting it in and eventually I realized, wow this is the way we like living.

For me, I love to cook so that is not an issue. But there are days where we do eat out just because it fell into place. Its more likely I will cook than not, but you need to allow yourself to say, I dont want to cook and take a break! Just like you are supposed to rest on the 7th day, you need to add that into your life.
post #126 of 199
I'm not the cook in the family and I'm really happy with that arrangement. DW loves to cook so she has no hard feelings stepping into that.

Amy, I completely agree you just can't go cold turkey but sometimes it's seems like it's be so much easier to buy a yurt and take just the clothes on our backs and start completely over. Although that's not very realistic.

What are some of your goals? I guess what I'm asking is what, to you, means you're living a Simple Life? Is it eating home more? Buy less things? What are your top 5 things that you strive for/hope for in living intentionally simple?
post #127 of 199
I love this thread. Today we had some points that we had earned on a credit card and needed to use. Both DH and I perused our gift options and realized we really didn't want anything. We really didn't want anything. This is truly freeing.
post #128 of 199
I decided to ask the DH's side of the family if they'd like to pick names this year for Christmas so every person gets one gift. Everyone thought it was brilliant! I'm so glad I opened my mouth!!! This will really simplify the holiday for us!

Maria
post #129 of 199
DH and I have agreed to not buy gifts for each other this Xmas! It usually involves lots of shopping and returning of things. We do have a $20 limit on tings to buy for each others stockings though.


I am slowly moving any meetings and appointments more locally in an effort to declutter my schedule and life. I am going to have to tell my DD's piano teacher we have decided to go with a teacher in our town so we don't have to drive the 1h30m round trip drive to come and see her. Yea we will be able to bike there!
post #130 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
Both DH and I perused our gift options and realized we really didn't want anything. We really didn't want anything. This is truly freeing.
What an awesome feeling. Doesn't it just make you feel so satisfied! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
I decided to ask the DH's side of the family if they'd like to pick names this year for Christmas so every person gets one gift.
Maria, that is awesome! Both my dad and sister are out of work right now so I mentioned not doing gifts this year and they thought it was a great idea. We'll all just get a gift for my nephew.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I am slowly moving any meetings and appointments more locally in an effort to declutter my schedule and life. I am going to have to tell my DD's piano teacher we have decided to go with a teacher in our town so we don't have to drive the 1h30m drive to come and see her. Yea we will be able to bike there!
Wow, that's some drive. Do you live in a small town? What a great idea to declutter your schedule. I never really considered that! I'm sure that will free up a lot of time.
post #131 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Amy, I completely agree you just can't go cold turkey but sometimes it's seems like it's be so much easier to buy a yurt and take just the clothes on our backs and start completely over. Although that's not very realistic.

What are some of your goals? I guess what I'm asking is what, to you, means you're living a Simple Life? Is it eating home more? Buy less things? What are your top 5 things that you strive for/hope for in living intentionally simple?
I would check out my first post to this thread. That basically sums up my simple living idea.

ETA this is part of it:


Not just pocessions, but living simply requires several other things in your life.

Like:
knowing when you're full.
Knowing when you are tired.
Saying No to people because you are one of the above or something else.
Not joining something.
knowing your limits and your families limits.
knowing how to slow down, smell the roses or whatever it is in front of you.
working to live not live to work


We as a family do not over schedule, double book, have to leave here quickly because we are late for this and arrive abrubtly and interupt the starting blah blah blah.
We tell friends and family no to things. But we also say yes to things. But we have no issue saying- No we are not coming to your house for insert holiday or whatever in here because we made plans to do insert activity here. We do not send one person in the family here so the other can go there. We tell one of the parties no we are not coming
post #132 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Wow, that's some drive. Do you live in a small town? What a great idea to declutter your schedule. I never really considered that! I'm sure that will free up a lot of time.
I ETA that was a round trip time, but thats still quite long. My town has about 9,000 people. Almost everything you need is available right in town.

The kids and I hate rushing around so we really make an effort not to schedule 2 things on the same day.
post #133 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

I would check out my first post to this thread. That basically sums up my simple living idea.

ETA this is part of it:


Not just pocessions, but living simply requires several other things in your life.

Like:
knowing when you're full.
Knowing when you are tired.
Saying No to people because you are one of the above or something else.
Not joining something.
knowing your limits and your families limits.
knowing how to slow down, smell the roses or whatever it is in front of you.
working to live not live to work


We as a family do not over schedule, double book, have to leave here quickly because we are late for this and arrive abrubtly and interupt the starting blah blah blah.
We tell friends and family no to things. But we also say yes to things. But we have no issue saying- No we are not coming to your house for insert holiday or whatever in here because we made plans to do insert activity here. We do not send one person in the family here so the other can go there. We tell one of the parties no we are not coming
That's great!
post #134 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
[I]Not just pocessions, but living simply requires several other things in your life.

Like:
knowing when you're full.
Knowing when you are tired.
Saying No to people because you are one of the above or something else.
Not joining something.
knowing your limits and your families limits.
knowing how to slow down, smell the roses or whatever it is in front of you.
working to live not live to work
That is great!

Do you guys have any inspiring book recommendations? I've read Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic & Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy. Both were really great and very informational.
post #135 of 199

Have you read these?

I've just been turned on to Leo Babauta's blogs/books. The main one is Zen Habits, but he has several sub-blogs, including one on just minimalism.

Another good read recently was "The Happy Minimalist" by Peter Lawrence.
post #136 of 199
post #137 of 199
Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Viki Robin
post #138 of 199
Awesome, thanks guys. I just requested the HM through interlibrary loan and am going to get YMYL from the library today. Looking forward to both!
post #139 of 199
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
post #140 of 199
I want to join you ladies here. I have been slowly trying to declutter now for a while and anytime I get a lot done it feels fantasic, I am just trying to get the rest of the family on board.
It seems almost impossible to manage to keep it clutter free.
The kids bring home pics from school and of course want all of them kept, but it really isn't reasonable. Is putting that stuff into a scap book for them a beter idea or what would you do.
Give me some tips on motivating the fam and on how to keep those catch all spots from being just that.
I have rearranged so the catch all spots weren't so easy to use as catch alls, but they still manage to get that way!
I need serious HELP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Striving For A More Simple/Minimalist Life