or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table) - Page 2

post #21 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post

On the other hand, it would hurt to post the recall info link on your page and assume that she will see it.
LOL she'd notice it was too coincidental. Days after she posts the pics, I post a recall that's over a year old? lol. I'd be safer telling her. Sneaky though! lol.
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
This is true, and this is why I'm leaning against saying anything. Her baby is also currently so small her shoulders barely come above the backrest lol.
I also would not say anything. I also was one of those moms who used a bumbo. We would put her on the kitchen table and DD (3 months) was always within arms reach. Or I'd put her in the Bumbo on top of the kitchen counter as I prepared for dinner. Again, within arms reach. I was comfortable with this because she was not strong enough to even sit up completely straight and her feet did not even come close to touching the floor.

We all have different comfort levels when it comes to the safety of our babies. In my opinion, formula feeding is not healthy, and at times, can be dangerous, but I don't make a habit of making comments like that to parents who formula feed. It's their choice as an educated parent, and they have the right to do as they please.

On the other hand, I did have a few friends make comments to me about the Bumbo, and it was easily brushed off after I explained that I wasn't worried about it. So in the end, it might depend on how sensitive the parent is.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by francie024 View Post
We all have different comfort levels when it comes to the safety of our babies. I don't make a habit of making comments like that to parents who formula feed. It's their choice as an educated parent, and they have the right to do as they please.

Totally. People don't like to be judged period, but especially as a parent. Parents judging other parents is definitely "Casting Stones in Glass Houses" territory, KWIM? We all have different ideas.

Since your friends are "better-than-you-ist," saying something almost guarrantees you wont be invited over to any bbq's any time soon

Also, unless your friends are total idiots, I'm sure they know that by placing their child on a table there is a risk of them falling. They're probably just comfortable with that risk & feel it's minimal considering their circumstances.

I don't know how many times my kid has fallen off our bed. She napped in our bed alone as a baby & still sleeps in it on occassion (she's 3). I'm comfortable with the risk I'd be pretty amazed if someone thought perhaps I hadn't considered it was a risk If I had a serious kind of ego going, I'd assume they thought I was an idiot!
post #24 of 46
Everyone always thinks it won't happen to them, hence the reason they are doing it in the first place. My DD2 fell off the counter and broke her clavicle with 2 parents within arms reach, no one could catch her fast enough. It only took a second.


DS flipped his bouncy all the way over yesterday, he is only 4 months, non mobile, can't sit, etc... yet he managed to do that! He was on the floor on the rug, but I did have a friend with a 2 month who ended up in the ER because he knocked his bouncy off the kitchen counter. Things happen.



If it was me, I'd just say something about how a "friend's" baby fell out of a Bumbo on a table and you are so glad they weren't injured.
post #25 of 46
I think that as long as the warning is in a language the family reads so that they have the capacity to understand it its right there on the bumbo. They are, for intents and purposes, making an informed decsion. Yes it could be unsafe. Yes the baby could fall off the table. But they have weighed the risks and benefits and made a parenting decision. So unless you want to hear about how you dangerours, cosleeping, not vaxing, homeschooling, etc etc is from them, I would myob.

Now if you are in the room with the baby on the table then you can say "oh that's freaking *me* out and *I'm* afraid she will fall" which makes if about *you* and that seems fine to me. But to post on Facebook so everyone can see how much more concerned and informed you are than the parents eh? it would rub me the wrong way as the parent.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Everyone always thinks it won't happen to them, hence the reason they are doing it in the first place. My DD2 fell off the counter and broke her clavicle with 2 parents within arms reach, no one could catch her fast enough. It only took a second.

Did you really not know there was a risk of your child falling off the counter when you put her up there? Would someone giving you the Public Service Announcement of "You know, she could fall off the counter" made a difference in your risk assesment?

I mean seriously - I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That would deserve a true idiot's license.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
I mean seriously - I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That would deserve a true idiot's license.
That's a bit harsh. We all take risks. We weigh the options and make a choice. I don't think that makes the pp an idiot. She obviously learned a lesson because of the accident. I'm sure she feels bad enough.
post #28 of 46
I wouldn't say anything because I put my infants on the table a fair bit. With DS1 it was to keep him out of reach of the dog, with DS2 it was to keep him out of reach of DS1 lol!
I was always within arms reach but they spent a fair bit of tummy time, time in the bumbo and in the bouncy chair.

It's a calculated risk thing to me.
post #29 of 46
I would probably do the sneaky approach and post the link to the recall. In fact, I just posted a link to a car safety seat website on my facebook a couple minutes ago after seeing a pic of an old playgroup friend's DD in her car seat. The straps were twisted and so loose she would need an extra head coming out of her chest to fill the gap. The chest clip was all the way down to the base clip. I was tempted to email her too, but I have a feeling she won't fix it anyway. Ugh. The picture will haunt me. Maybe I should email her after all...
post #30 of 46
I used to put DD in her bumbo but after a while, every time I turned around, she was on the floor behind it looking very confused (I would set the bumbo on the carpeted floor). She would just kindof "stand up" and arch backwards and out she went ... a little backflip. I, personally, would tell someone that experience. Just like "OH yeah, those are great. My daughter totally learned how to back-flip herself out while we weren't looking though so we had to move on" You can pretend I'm your IRL friend and say "Oh my friends baby kept doing backflips out of that when her mom turned around". LOL (funny because she was always fine -- just really bewildered)!
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
That's a bit harsh. We all take risks. We weigh the options and make a choice. I don't think that makes the pp an idiot. She obviously learned a lesson because of the accident. I'm sure she feels bad enough.
I'm not saying she's is an idiot, and I'm saying exactly the same thing you are - we all weigh options & make a choice.

I said I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That (being completely unaware there was any type of risk) would deserve a true idiot's license. Actually, it would take a complete rejection of the law of gravity. Wouldn't that be something?

All our decisions have some type of risk to them. Most of us know that, and I think that's why people can get touchy when people say things like "You could roll over on your baby when you sleep with it." Or "Nursing your baby at night is going to rot their teeth" etc. It forces them to say "Yes, I realize that's a chance, but I'm willing to take that chance anyway."
post #32 of 46
Thread Starter 
I'm loving all the responses this is getting!!

Yes clearly they must know that their baby is on an elevated surface and thus risks falling. The laws of gravity apply to everyone lol. And yes I have/sometimes still cosleep and I know I could risk rolling over him. I've woken to find my arm on his chest, somewhat restricting his breathing. Very scary. But a risk I take/took. (since my periods of sleep were so short I very rarely moved in that time)

Lilac, so funny you say that because I actualy do know someone who's kid did backflips out of bumbo's. Only DAYS before the recall, believe it or not, I was at my cousins and 2 of them were sitting in it and flipping backwards, on purpose. Granted they were older but I could tell it could easily happen with younger kids. I wondered how that was safe. A few days later, recall.

tbone. it definately would have been a PM, not a comment on the pictures, in public. But I agree. I'll keep my mouth shut.
post #33 of 46
I actually DID say something to a friend of mine once. She posted pictures of her son in his Bumbo on the countertop - with about an inch of it hanging over.

I just very gently told her that I didn't want to seem as if I was interfering but I had heard about a child falling of the counter while in a Bumbo and suffering a head injury. Fortunately the story had been on the news the week before, so I was able to use that to back me up.
post #34 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
I actually DID say something to a friend of mine once. She posted pictures of her son in his Bumbo on the countertop - with about an inch of it hanging over.

I just very gently told her that I didn't want to seem as if I was interfering but I had heard about a child falling of the counter while in a Bumbo and suffering a head injury. Fortunately the story had been on the news the week before, so I was able to use that to back me up.
Did she take it ok?
post #35 of 46
I'd shoot her a casual email with a link to the recall.

But, it's not your kid, so there's really nothing beyond that you can do.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Did she take it ok?
Yes, she sort of sheepishly said "I know" and explained that he was only up there so that she could get a picture. We're pretty close, and I'm not afraid to voice opinions when it comes to safety - in a gentle way. I don't think she was surprised at all to hear me say the things I did.
post #37 of 46
It seems like all of our friends and family elevate the bumbo. I just cringe and walk away. We all have our own personal safety hangups. I know that I do things with DD that they think are unsafe. It isn't like they are letting the 3 month old play with a butcher knife.

Its one of those not really safe, but also nothing is likely to happen situations (unless it were my DD since she thinks bumbo="device to help me practice standing")
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Good save. lol. I would have said something similar, like, "I don't know her strength so it was making me uncomfortable." Which would imply that the mom does, and that's why she IS comfortable with it.. Hopefully she's forgotten about it already.

That being said, I was comfortable with my baby on the couch when he fell off. lol. They get stronger!
I probably wouldn't say anything. I lay my LO in her boppy on the couch where she could probably roll off if she wanted to, and let her sleep in the middle of a king-size bed by herself, which people tell me is dangerous. I'm comfortable with it for now. While I appreciate others' concern for my DD, others may not be so receptive. I would let it go, unless you're physically there. In that case, I would pick up or move the baby, and say something like, "She's just so busy that I wasn't sure if it was safe" like the PP said.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
I said I cannot imagine anyone putting their child anywhere but the floor and not realizing there is some chance they will fall down. That (being completely unaware there was any type of risk) would deserve a true idiot's license. Actually, it would take a complete rejection of the law of gravity. Wouldn't that be something?
I get what you are saying. I'm sure they are aware of the risk, at least that their is one. I used to put my baby bouncer on the kitchen counter, even though there was a warning about not doing that. But there were reasons it felt OK to me--she was a newborn, I was doing dishes so she was right next to me. It was definitely something I thought through before I did it, and I only did it a few times and it was fine. Then when my second came along, I used a sling instead. And then once she actually slipped through the bottom for some reason, but I caught her since she was up against my body already.

In any event, I think part of the issue is that even if people are aware of the risk, we tend not to think that those things will happen to us, or that our situation is different than those situations where children get hurt. I think most of the issues when babies fall out of bumbos they are being supervised to a degree. I think after we do things for a certain amount of time and nothing bad happens, we may become complacent and not supervise as vigilantly, but I think most of the things happen before we can react. I think if your friend is open minded, she might at least consider in her private thoughts the concerns you have, and maybe reevaluate quietly.

My mother worries about everything, but I will say that even though I know she is a worrywart, I listen to her and sometimes I think that maybe she has a point and it wouldn't hurt me to err on the side of caution. But people are different and some might not react that way.
post #40 of 46
I think I would mind my own business. I bet the kids who fell off the table in those were probably not being watched, and so they had to put on a warning label. I mean honestly you gotta use some logic here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table)