or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table) - Page 3

post #41 of 46
Is there any chance it was the Prince Lionheart version? It has a safety belt that keeps the baby locked in the seat. That's the one we have, and the belt is not really visible in pictures.

Here's a link (hopefully, it works):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...&id=1202948894
post #42 of 46
a belt is not gonna keep a baby from pushing backwards with their legs and flipping the thing off of a table. Taht is the big risk with these things. And it doesn't matter if you are right there looking at them, cause it can happen lickety split without you being able to react fast enough to catch them. You know that split second where you know your kid is going to tumble down the stairs/fall off his bike/grab that hot cup of coffee, where you know the outcome is not going to be good, even though you are less than five feet from the kid? That is how kids were falling/getting hurt. So, even if you are right there, on top of the kid, it is still possible to flip it off the counter/table/other high spot without being able to stop it.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
a belt is not gonna keep a baby from pushing backwards with their legs and flipping the thing off of a table. Taht is the big risk with these things. And it doesn't matter if you are right there looking at them, cause it can happen lickety split without you being able to react fast enough to catch them. You know that split second where you know your kid is going to tumble down the stairs/fall off his bike/grab that hot cup of coffee, where you know the outcome is not going to be good, even though you are less than five feet from the kid? That is how kids were falling/getting hurt. So, even if you are right there, on top of the kid, it is still possible to flip it off the counter/table/other high spot without being able to stop it.
That totally depends on the baby and where that baby is at a certain developmental stage. A picture won't give that information, and only the mother knows for certain. When that picture was taken, Aidan did not buck backward. Now, however, is a different story. Not having seen the picture, though, I would hope the mother knows her own child and his mannerisms/ actions.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
That totally depends on the baby and where that baby is at a certain developmental stage. A picture won't give that information, and only the mother knows for certain. When that picture was taken, Aidan did not buck backward. Now, however, is a different story. Not having seen the picture, though, I would hope the mother knows her own child and his mannerisms/ actions.
Yeah, well, wouldn;t you be the surprised one to see your baby's new trick- as he is flipping himself off of the table. That is teh problem- if you *thought* your baby was capable of doing it, you surely wouldn't put him on the table, right? Wellllll, that is the thing, you just never think it is going to happen to YOU, it is only people who are negligent or just plain stupid. Nope, that is the thing with accidents, they just pop up when are least expecting it. It's like saying, well, I know I am a good driver, so why bother with car seats/seat belts, they are only for people who aren't good drivers.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Yeah, well, wouldn;t you be the surprised one to see your baby's new trick- as he is flipping himself off of the table. That is teh problem- if you *thought* your baby was capable of doing it, you surely wouldn't put him on the table, right? Wellllll, that is the thing, you just never think it is going to happen to YOU, it is only people who are negligent or just plain stupid. Nope, that is the thing with accidents, they just pop up when are least expecting it. It's like saying, well, I know I am a good driver, so why bother with car seats/seat belts, they are only for people who aren't good drivers.
Well, yes, I can say that I would not be surprised - simply based on the number of times my son has been in my arms and in the sling (multiple times each day) as opposed to the less than a handful of times he has been in the Bebe Pod.

I cannot speak for the mom in the OP, of course.
post #46 of 46
I'm not reading all the posts.

I had a child who sat in her bumbo on the table every night during dinner. She loved being part of the conversation and at times would be so loud the rest of us couldn't talk. Clearly she loved it. I felt she was safe for many reasons- there were people sitting around the table in case she did figure out how to tip over. We were right with her the whole time, she didn't stay up there while we cleared the table, cleaned up, etc. I KNEW that it would be considered unsafe by many. I KNEW about the recall. I KNEW many people would say it was wrong. But it was the right choice for us.

Just like the multitude of choices we make daily we balance our own fears and needs. My neighbors 7th graders can't walk to school because they had a friend who was hit by a car walking to school. My kids can walk to school, but my kids can't ride in the front seat of the car like the neighbors can. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither of us. Everyone makes their own choices based on their fears and knowledge.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › I SO want to say something. (Bumbo on table)