or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say "Butt" in your house? - Page 6

Poll Results: Butt? Appropriate?

 
  • 83% (418)
    of course!
  • 9% (50)
    no way!
  • 6% (33)
    other, because there always needs to be an 'other'..
501 Total Votes  
post #101 of 174
its a bit silly that this came up on here. anyway we use butt almost always but lately we have been saying bum a little more.who knew BUTT would be such a big part of motherhood. anyway my kids know the "right name" for every body part including privates
post #102 of 174
Yes, because that is what it is. I hate cutesy names for body parts.

At night my son loves to come running out of the bathoom after DH gives him his bath and stand in front of me in all his glory. I usually squeel, "AH! naked baby-butt!" and run after him pinching his chubby little butt-cheeks as he runs around laughing.

I really dislike "heiney" because it reminds me of Kate Gosselin.
post #103 of 174
i do not mind the word BUTT
post #104 of 174
This is making me laugh. I am totally the minority here -- we don't. I encourage 'bottom'. I think it sounds nicer.

In my defense, we do say penis/vulva/vagina/breasts, etc. I just don't like the sound of "butt".

post #105 of 174
I don't like "bottom" for butt because I've heard people use that for vulva (and I don't like it as a replacement for vulva either). The word is used for any part "down there" that people don't want to name specifically, which makes it non-specific, and therefore not very useful as a word to describe an area. Like, if you hurt, where do you hurt? I want my dd to be able to tell me specifically where she hurts, or itches, or whatever. I don't want to have to play guessing games.
post #106 of 174
Nope, we don't use it, but only because I don't personally like it, not because I think it's offensive. As many PPs have said, there are many worse words to be using.

We always say "bottom." I have to admit, it does make me cringe to hear little kids say "butt," in the same way that I cringe when I hear kids say "dang" or "ain't"-- I don't think it's *bad*, but I do not find it aesthetically pleasing. Butt, IMO, = slang, and I really try to avoid slang of any kind--for, again, aesthetic reasons. Similarly, I would teach a boy to say "testacles," not "balls."

As long as I'm "controlling" the words they learn, I'm planning to teach them words I like. This is not at all a hill I would die on with older children.
post #107 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
I don't like how it sounds. I guess I associate it with moms at McDonald's hollering at their kids to sit on their butts and finish their chicken nuggets, or something. Although from the answers here, clearly my vision is a little too narrow!

We use bottom or bum, mostly. Dd loves booty and uses it a lot too.

Conversely, I'm just fine with 'sucks'.
Huh - I hadn't even noticed. Dd seems to have adopted using 'behind.' She asked the cat to lower her behind this morning!
post #108 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
Nope, we don't use it, but only because I don't personally like it, not because I think it's offensive. As many PPs have said, there are many worse words to be using.

We always say "bottom." I have to admit, it does make me cringe to hear little kids say "butt," in the same way that I cringe when I hear kids say "dang" or "ain't"-- I don't think it's *bad*, but I do not find it aesthetically pleasing. Butt, IMO, = slang, and I really try to avoid slang of any kind--for, again, aesthetic reasons. Similarly, I would teach a boy to say "testacles," not "balls."

As long as I'm "controlling" the words they learn, I'm planning to teach them words I like. This is not at all a hill I would die on with older children.
You put it much nicer than I did, but that's how I feel, too.
post #109 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
This is making me laugh. I am totally the minority here -- we don't. I encourage 'bottom'. I think it sounds nicer.

In my defense, we do say penis/vulva/vagina/breasts, etc. I just don't like the sound of "butt".

This is my stance, too. I say bottom and vulva, etc. But DH and his family say butt. It makes me cringe--my mom had a lot of hangups about certain words we could not say and I can't shake my upbringing. Fortunately (for me) DD follows my lead and even when people on tv say "butt" she gasps and says, "we don't say that word; we say bottom, right?". But it's a minor thing, I know. Just my personal hangup, I guess.
post #110 of 174
Its better than than A word
post #111 of 174
I don't know any families IRL who say "butt." And in my house it's bottom or bum.
post #112 of 174
Yup..we say butt and bottom interchangeably.
post #113 of 174
We say tushie, hiney, fanny, ass.... but more then any of the others we say butt.

We don't say bum (I don't like it for some reason), bottom (because as a pp said it's not) or behind (a person's behind in our house encompasses more then just the butt).

I admit I've been known to say "Get your butt over here", only to DH though.

Po po makes me laugh because of the night DH and I decided to watch Miss. Congeniality 2 on TV while drinking far too much wine.
post #114 of 174
We say butt. I had no idea it was so controversial!
post #115 of 174
We say butt or booty. The occasional a$$ gets tossed around, but that's usually in a farting situation where we say "you've got stink a$$". We're really weird though and my kids know they don't talk about butts with other people unless there's an injury!
post #116 of 174
We say butt or ass .We don't call it anything else.The kids always say butt though.
post #117 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecampane View Post
This is my stance, too. I say bottom and vulva, etc. But DH and his family say butt. It makes me cringe--my mom had a lot of hangups about certain words we could not say and I can't shake my upbringing. Fortunately (for me) DD follows my lead and even when people on tv say "butt" she gasps and says, "we don't say that word; we say bottom, right?". But it's a minor thing, I know. Just my personal hangup, I guess.
: DS told a lady in the market that butt was not a nice word and that she should not say that.
post #118 of 174
I thought "butt" was just short for buttocks, and we use that in the science books, right?

Well, for the longest time DD1 used to say "hehind" instead of "behind". DH used behind one time and I guess it stuck. He said it for fun with the accent on the first syllable, so it sounded really funny (he has a beautiful drawl). At the time DD1 could not say behind so she said hehind (with the accent on the he), and we just loved it. So that's the word we used...until she went to school last year and someone told her it's supposed to be behind .

Recently, I've learned that her teacher prefers bottom, so that's what we say now. But butt has never offended me. butt, butt, butt, butt
post #119 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
We say butt or po po (I dunno where that came from but when my sis and I were little it was always po po)
HA! po po is what my brother calls police cars/officers (not to their face of course). As in, "Po Po! Better slow down!"

BTW, my brother is 25... I have no idea when/why he started doing this (it was during college sometime, I guess)
post #120 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryMom View Post
I thought "butt" was just short for buttocks, and we use that in the science books, right?
Yeah, a lot of people have brought this up, and it certainly makes sense- but "vag" is just short for "vagina," or "clit" for "clitoris," and I would never use those words, either. I am picky picky picky when it comes to words.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?