or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say "Butt" in your house? - Page 8

Poll Results: Butt? Appropriate?

 
  • 83% (418)
    of course!
  • 9% (50)
    no way!
  • 6% (33)
    other, because there always needs to be an 'other'..
501 Total Votes  
post #141 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Yes. And if it is inappropriate than I am a super bad mom because I recently taught ds "Guess what?" "Chicken Butt!!" (insert hysterical laughter on his part). So oops.
Wow, you must have been at our dinner table tonight!!! That would be DH (GUESS WHAT!?!?!) and 8yo DD (CHICKEN BUTT!!!!) dissolving into peals of laughter...

over, and over and over...

Now bbDD laughs hysterically and says BUUUUUUUUUTT!

Also, when she needs a clean diaper she says Mama! Happy Butt PEEEZ!

'Tis adorable!
post #142 of 174
Quote:
I know I heard "He's such a butt" innumerable times as a child.
Wow! I am sure if I had, I'd have felt differently about it. I think I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone say that. Jackass? Yes. Ass? Sometimes. Butt? Anyone I know who would not say "jackass" would not call someone a butt, either.

I accidentally let "chicken butt" slip with my almost-three. She just kept saying "Guess what" OVER AND OVER AND OVER and "What?" would not suffice. So "chicken butt" just popped out about the gazillionth time.

I'm trying to re-train her to say "peanut" instead of "chicken butt" but it's not working, for obvious reasons.
post #143 of 174
We usually gravitate toward heiney and bum but the word butt is in no way taboo. We are going to try not to make too big of a deal out of other more colorful words either. Just going to provide a lot of guidance about appropriate usage or inappropriate usage as the case may be.
post #144 of 174
Oh, this brings back a memory of me, age seven, asking my dad if I could use the word "butt". The answer was a stern and resounding NO!

And to this day, it seems really vulgar to me! I call it bottom, DH calls it taztouza (Lebanese word for it). DS gets confused between the words body and bottom, so he mostly uses taztouza.
post #145 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

The children I know don't laugh when they use the word "butt". Perhaps because it's just a normal word for us. Interesting how there are these little sub-cultures within the national culture that really are speaking different dialects.
Yeah, I think the negative associations must be cultural or familial for me. My FIL is a very conservative man, and he says "butt" all the time (he's from an entirely different area of the country).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Wow! I am sure if I had, I'd have felt differently about it. I think I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone say that. Jackass? Yes. Ass? Sometimes. Butt? Anyone I know who would not say "jackass" would not call someone a butt, either.
Yeah, I guess my friends were substituting "butt" for "ass" because that seemed more tame, or something. But I certainly heard it in various groups and at various ages (so it wasn't just one little friend-group) and then later with kids I babysat.
post #146 of 174
As a teen, a babysat for a next door neighbor. The little boy called me a bucket head before his mom left, as she was trying to give me the run down of what I needed to know. She got so angry at him and put him in a timeout. I'm not sure why buckethead was so offensive to her, but because she thought it was a naughty word, the boy did, too, and used it to get her all riled up. I think he was hardly older than two years.
post #147 of 174
Bumbum or
Booty


or "butter cheeks"
post #148 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Butt is our "nice" word for it and I'm still having trouble getting DH to remember to use it.
So true!
We say "butt", "bum" and "bottom"
post #149 of 174
No we don't. I just find it rather crass. We say "bum" or "bottom".
post #150 of 174
We say butt, and I've never noticed anyone getting uncomfortable with it . . . the kids (and we) also say "ass" to mean the same thing.
post #151 of 174
When talking to DD we always use bum or bumbum. I don't think we ever say butt to her... not that I think there is anything wrong with it. DH and I will refer to our own bums as butts. Like "my butt is getting sore in this chair".
post #152 of 174
We have a bunch of "only to be used at home" words. So far, so good.
post #153 of 174
Is butt a really bad word?

We are in England and we say bum or bottom. Or arse. Is that bad too? I'm all out of step with you guys
post #154 of 174
I use butt because it is the shorten form of buttocks, which is the correct medical term for that part of the body. I always try to teach the correct term so there is no confusion. My son has known the term penis since he was 1. He knows girls have breasts and vaginas and boys have a penis. I don't think nick naming body parts is appropriate.

That being said my son will be silly and call his butt his booty.
post #155 of 174
We use butt, bottom, hinney, rearend, booty, backside, and I am sure more that I can't think of.

I think I use hinney most often, but butt is right up there!
post #156 of 174
One of ds's nicknames is MonkeyButt no idea why I gave it to him other than liking how it sounds

I find it odd to think of anyone being offended by the word butt
post #157 of 174
Wasn't allowed to growing up....my Mom told us the whole "in my day is was a curse word" thing....DH thinks it's hilarious. I say "bum" or "booty"...but my kids are allowed to say butt.
post #158 of 174
Butt, bum, hiney, tushy, booty, rear end, bottom, les fesses, le cul (french) etc.
post #159 of 174
Yes, we say butt. I guess the anatomically correct term would be buttocks, but that's a bit long. However, I do get annoyed when my boys start chanting "butt" in a multitude of contexts because they think it's funny, and that kind of talk is not allowed. But, yes, it's fine if they say "My butt itches, mom."

And I find made-up words for anatomical parts annoying. Kids do not just have "botttoms." They have buttocks and a vulva. Boys have buttocks and a penis. I don't care if other terms are used on occasion, but to forbid or discourage such terminology out of a sense of shame is just sad.
post #160 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypie32 View Post
I use butt because it is the shorten form of buttocks, which is the correct medical term for that part of the body. I always try to teach the correct term so there is no confusion. My son has known the term penis since he was 1. He knows girls have breasts and vaginas and boys have a penis. I don't think nick naming body parts is appropriate.
Following your logic, shouldn't you be teaching him that girls have vulvas too?

We use all of those terms too, but butt just seems coarse. I don't have a problem with buttocks, though, even those we mostly use bum or bottom.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I find it odd to think of anyone being offended by the word butt
It falls into the same category as "ass," in my opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?