or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say "Butt" in your house? - Page 2

Poll Results: Butt? Appropriate?

 
  • 83% (418)
    of course!
  • 9% (50)
    no way!
  • 6% (33)
    other, because there always needs to be an 'other'..
501 Total Votes  
post #21 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
There were a couple of years where that was the most commonly said word in our house. Oh, the memories.
Too funny! I can relate!

Yes, we say butt here.
post #22 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Butt is by far the cleanest of the words we use to describe that area.
this!
post #23 of 174
"Butt" is merely the short form of "buttocks." Buttocks is the proper term for that area of the anatomy, so I never understood the fuss over "butt." The other three-letter word for one's rear, though, that's discouraged in our house.
post #24 of 174
Bum, but it's our equivalent to butt.
post #25 of 174
Of course we say butt.
post #26 of 174
um, yes. It's often said. Mainly by one of the 3 little boys, but DH, DD, and I use it as well.
post #27 of 174
Almost constantly. as well as booty, bum, bootchie (actually we made that up to go with "scootchie the bootchie" as in move over) i am feeling uncreative but I am sure there are about a hundred other words we use. the only one we don't use is a**.
post #28 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
"Guess what?" "Chicken Butt!!"

"And do you know why? Chicken thigh!"


No, we don't really use butt alot, we use bum. I don't really know why but both terms seem fine to me.
post #29 of 174
We generally say tush or tushie.

I don't like the word "butt." It sounds vulgar to me. Why? I have no idea. But it is certainly not a hill for me to die on, the way "sucks" or "crap" would be, if my children ever used those terms. So yeah, "butt" gets said here and there in our house. But not by me.
post #30 of 174
We use butt, as well as a whole butt-load of other terms.
post #31 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
We generally say tush or tushie.

I don't like the word "butt." It sounds vulgar to me. Why? I have no idea. But it is certainly not a hill for me to die on, the way "sucks" or "crap" would be, if my children ever used those terms. So yeah, "butt" gets said here and there in our house. But not by me.
you wanna know something funny? my mom *hated* butt, yet she was totally fine with crap and sucks
(therefore we used 'butt' quite often, and the 'approved' words rarely )
post #32 of 174
We mostly say butt and often I will say bum. There are worse things to call it.
post #33 of 174
butt is acceptable in our house, yes. However, things slightly worse in nature like damn and hell are not. It's not some horrible, unforgiveable offence, but it's not ok with either dh or I. We're not proper by any means but, cussing is a definate no around here. I guess I've just never seen "butt" as a cuss word. Booty is used equally with the word butt around our house as well.

I remember the first time someone clued me in to the fact that not everyone is comfortbale with that word. In the 6th grade I was spending the night at my friend Amy's house for the first time. I said butt in the middle of a sentence (to indicate something to do with someone's backside) and both my friend and her mom spun their heads around like I'd just admitted to murder! My friend stood in the background with buggy eyes, shaking her head as if to say, "if you valve your life don't say that around my mom." and her mother gave me the dirtiest look I think I've ever gotten. I had NO IDEA what I had done or said to make her so upset. She said, "excuse me?" and I just stood there saying, "uhhhhhhh..." until my friend saved me by saying, "we say bottom." I still had no idea what was going on until her mom told me that young ladies do not say the word "butt".

I'm still friends with Amy today and get along great with her mom as well. However, even as a 25 year old, mature, adult, I still know not to say "butt" in front of her mother if I don't want a lecture and to be corrected for my language.
post #34 of 174
We use bum, actually bumletta mostly.

Although we do say, "You need to cover your private butt." when discussing going outside. And "No going outside nekee butt'ed."

So maybe it's only a butt al fresco, but a bum when it's indoors at our houe.
post #35 of 174
We use the word "butt" sometimes, but mostly saw "bum".
post #36 of 174
Butt, bootie, boo-tay, tushie are all commonly used in our house and my kid can't even talk yet.
post #37 of 174
We say butt, bottom, hinder, heiny, and behind. I think that's about it...
post #38 of 174
We don't say "butt." I just don't like the sound of it, for some reason. I always say "bum" instead, although I'm not offended by other people saying "butt."
post #39 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMrsM View Post
yepper. my son will tell me now that he needs a butt change.

and yes, it is BY FAR the LEAST offensive word we use in our house! lol
ha! we also say butt change here
post #40 of 174
I clicked other because butt is not prohibited but we rarely use it. My sister is very,very against the word and her 3 yo son says it constantly. I keep him for 5 days a week and she asks me to correct it, so I have semi banned it...I asked the older kids to say bottom or rear instead. I don't know why my sis reacts so strongly to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?