or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say "Butt" in your house? - Page 4

Poll Results: Butt? Appropriate?

 
  • 83% (418)
    of course!
  • 9% (50)
    no way!
  • 6% (33)
    other, because there always needs to be an 'other'..
501 Total Votes  
post #61 of 174
Other...cause...well...people don't say 'butt' in this country. We either just say bottom or arse lol
post #62 of 174
I voted yes, but in reality we use, bum, arse or bottom. I have no problem with it at all.
post #63 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
We don't say "butt." I just don't like the sound of it, for some reason. I always say "bum" instead, although I'm not offended by other people saying "butt."
This.
post #64 of 174
I don't like how it sounds. I guess I associate it with moms at McDonald's hollering at their kids to sit on their butts and finish their chicken nuggets, or something. Although from the answers here, clearly my vision is a little too narrow!

We use bottom or bum, mostly. Dd loves booty and uses it a lot too.

Conversely, I'm just fine with 'sucks'.
post #65 of 174
we use it but i prefer bum or bottom- ass and arse get used here too. Depends on the age group i guess- los get bum or bottom, bos get butt or arse.
post #66 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
for the life of me, I cannot figure out which 'f' word you mean..
I'm thinking probably fag or faggot, since she said hate words.
post #67 of 174
Around DD, we use "buns".
post #68 of 174
Yep, we sure do! We make lots of butt jokes in our house - I call ds "grumpy butt", "stinky butt", etc all joking - gets a giggle everytime.

Growing up we were not allowed to say butt or fart - we had to say bottom and toot - I don't know, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Like pp's have said - we say MUCH worse in our house.
post #69 of 174
We say butt or po po (I dunno where that came from but when my sis and I were little it was always po po)

Ds was called 'monkey butt' when he was a newborn b/c he had a hairy butt!
post #70 of 174
I'm an "other." I say "bummy" and dh says "butt."
post #71 of 174
Oh and ds does say booty as in 'shake your booty', and then does a little dance - he loves to dance!
post #72 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
We say butt or po po (I dunno where that came from but when my sis and I were little it was always po po)

Ds was called 'monkey butt' when he was a newborn b/c he had a hairy butt!
po po is butt in Germany

When DS was born we heard a lot about his cute little po po
post #73 of 174
Yes, we use it. My two year old's favourite question to ask people these days is:

"You got a butt? On your back?"
post #74 of 174
We usually say heiney, because it seems more "fun" and we're usually using it to tell DD1 (3 yo) to "get your heiney over here (so I can tickle you or some other fun thing)" We also talk about wiping a heiney, or shaking a heiney when dancing. Heck, i even made up a shake your heiney song for the baby.

In public, everyone seems to think heiney is cute. I think it's more, I don't know, discrete, maybe? than butt.
post #75 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Butt is our "nice" word for it and I'm still having trouble getting DH to remember to use it.
post #76 of 174
Oh, and "bum" reminds me of Tom Green doing that "my bum is on your leg... my bum is on your leg" song, so that word annoys me greatly.
post #77 of 174
Butt, yeah, but not so often, but I'm not sure why. DD2 likes to use that word. Heiny, tuckus, bum, backside, and even the occasional ass are fine with me, although I do try to avoid ass because it offends the teachers and the MIL.

DD1 did go through a stage of thinking "butt" was a bad word, because of one particular preschool teacher, so I just told her not to say it in front of the teacher, but stop yelling at me about it because I think it's fine, and she dropped the issue.
post #78 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Why do our "hidden" parts need cutsie-wootsie names in order to be proper? It reminds me of my neighbors growing up who were horrified when I called a penis a penis (and tattled on me to my mom who said, "well that's what it IS." They called it a hot dog >shudder<). If my top is my head than my "bottom" is my feet...
That bugs me. If I had my way, I wouldn't have had 8 year old boys that still called their penises "wee wees" or "chin chin" (the latter is my MIL's Japanese baby talk word for penis).
post #79 of 174
We use butt. Also ass, arse (not too frequently, depends on how many Brits we've been around, LOL), behind, rear end, bum, tush....

It's interesting that in some countries, children read The Day My Bum Went Psycho and in others, it's The Day My Butt Went Psycho. I don't know if the publisher changed "Bum" and "Butt" because one is more acceptable in some countries, or because one sounds too twee.

I think bum, tushy etc. are twee, but if you have a house full of toddlers and young'uns, that's probably okay.
post #80 of 174
We usually use butt. Or behind. Rarely bottom.

Bum (and especially bum-bum) just grates on my nerves. I'm not sure why but it just does.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?