or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say "Butt" in your house? - Page 5

Poll Results: Butt? Appropriate?

 
  • 83% (418)
    of course!
  • 9% (50)
    no way!
  • 6% (33)
    other, because there always needs to be an 'other'..
501 Total Votes  
post #81 of 174
I don't like how "butt" sounds so I discourage it (not a big fan of crap, fart or sucks either) but I don't make a Federal case if it happens to slip.

I used to work as a nanny and the nanny before me was Portuguese so we have always used "bunda" (BOON-duh) instead of butt.
post #82 of 174
we use butt also becouse its closet to buttocks ( which is a hard word for children to say) medialy excepted terms are being used more often now - most ppl I know actuly say penis lol and we throw butt in that catagory was well . I also tell the kids to " move their glutes" When I want them to hurry up and its fun to say
peace
post #83 of 174
We say butt when we are being polite, and ass when we are not.
post #84 of 174
Yes, but only if we're being silly.
post #85 of 174
we say dupa here
post #86 of 174
yep-we say butt, booty, bottom, etc. we also cay vulva, penis, breast and butthole too. if we need to talk about a body part, we call it by its normal name, we dont disguise things as other things in our house.
post #87 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
for the life of me, I cannot figure out which 'f' word you mean..

Yeah, I was talking about the "faggot" word.

Funny, after reading this thread I realize that the word 'toot" gives me the heebies for some reason.
post #88 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
yep-we say butt, booty, bottom, etc. we also cay vulva, penis, breast and butthole too. if we need to talk about a body part, we call it by its normal name, we dont disguise things as other things in our house.


We're very blunt and direct. I don't see the point in DS learning to call it one thing and then having to turn around later in life and learn to call it something else.
post #89 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
Just wondering.. Do you say the word "butt" in your house or do you use another word?

We have no problem with it, though I have more than a few friends who obviously don't like the term.. I try to teach the girls to say bottom when we're around others, but they occasionally slip up We also use other words that may be viewed as 'less-than-appropriate'- though the kids never seem to blurt those out

For me, "butt" seems totally normal and fine..

Opinions?

(I meant 'no way' on the poll, btw!! )
We use the term butt as a short form of the term buttocks to denote the fleshy rear muscle, as is correct. Bottom is the lowest point of an object/person. That would be the feet so why would I call a butt a bottom when it isn't. I prefer correct terminology and direct non-confusing communication whenever possible.
post #90 of 174
Many, many, times a day.
post #91 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Butts (yes plural) or bummers. Not sure why I like to put an S on the end, but I do for some reason.
because it is plural. Buttocks, two cheeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Yes. And if it is inappropriate than I am a super bad mom because I recently taught ds "Guess what?" "Chicken Butt!!" (insert hysterical laughter on his part). So oops.
Haha, I recently taught this to my 4 year old. I remember my mom playing that word game with me when I was that age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera971 View Post
"And do you know why? Chicken thigh!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bug View Post
Guess Who?

Chicken poo!
Hehe, thanks for the extended version. So, I was just teaching the whole thing to Abigial:
Guess what
chicken butt
Guess why
chicken thigh
Guess who
chicken poo

So when it was her turn to try... she says in response to guess who...
chicken pooh bear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
you wanna know something funny? my mom *hated* butt, yet she was totally fine with crap and sucks
(therefore we used 'butt' quite often, and the 'approved' words rarely )
My mom also hated the terms sucks, and bite me. I understand why she didn't like those last two and I don't use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
yes, and it's a well-known fact that my butt is the biggest in the house
Abigail says, 'I love yours big butt, mommy" while hugging it tightly.
post #92 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Bottom is the lowest point of an object/person. That would be the feet so why would I call a butt a bottom when it isn't.
Not when you're sitting!
post #93 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
Not when you're sitting!
Hey, when I'm sitting at my desk chair or on the couch, my feet are touching the floor, so my feet are still my bottom. When I'm sitting cross-legged on the floor, both my butt and my feet are touching the floor, and my ankles, and my calves, and my thighs for that matter. So even then, my butt isn't my bottom, rather many body parts tie for bottom status.
post #94 of 174
How did you ever resist making the first poll option "butt of course!" instead of just plain "of course!"??

We say butt a lot - way too much probably.
post #95 of 174
speaking of butts... today, for the first time, my 4 yo heard the song "I like big butts and I cannot lie..." and he was cracking up in the car. He told the 2 yo did you hear that? they said they like big butts!! It was only a few seconds of it as we had arrived to the store, but I think for kids, butt is just funny.
post #96 of 174
I haven't read all the replies yet. DH and I say butt around each other, but around DS it's always "hiney".
post #97 of 174
I voted other. We use it freely in casual settings, but if we are out in a "nice" setting (a nicer restaurant, an aunt's Christmas party, a wedding, whatever) I try to avoid it in case we offend someone else. Of course kids will be kids, I don't get upset about what they say, I'd just try to steer them away from that. I guess I'm more aware that other people may not like it because when I was growing up, "butt" was a bad word. But, "sucks" was okay, and I still say that all the time, and I'm trying to remember not to, because now I realize that that's really offensive for obvious reasons . . . sigh. Anywho . . .
post #98 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post

As for butt, what the problem? It's short for "buttocks".
That's what I was going to say! And the poster who adds an s to it, that actually makes more sense.

eta: I just remembered, for a while, DS was saying "bumtocks", as he knew "bum" and had heard that the correct term was "buttocks" and ended up putting the two together. Bumtocks!
post #99 of 174
Yep, we use it. But in my house growing up, we didn't.
post #100 of 174
I didn't even realize this was a debate until I found out my step-sister (another MDC mama-and hi if you read this!) didn't allow her children to say "butt". We usually say bum or bottom, but (ha) it never occurred to me that "butt" might be an issue? I agree with the OP that for me, it's just a shorten version of bottom, similar to tummy for stomach. We aren't big on "forbidden" words around here. We haven't needed to make rules and have had no issue with "potty" words. It's no fun to say them when they are allowed!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do you say "Butt" in your house?