or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Baby bucket car seats toddering on the top of shopping carts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby bucket car seats toddering on the top of shopping carts - Page 2

post #21 of 138
I don't do it. Too risky for me.

And for those who say it's safe because the car seat "clicks" in place - That may be when you're pushing it around the store. But the car seat was not designed to be used that way, not tested for safety that way, etc. How do you know a bump wouldn't make it come loose? Or if the cart tipped, that it wouldn't fly right off?

Of course everyone has to take responsibility for what they are comfortable with. For me personally it is just too risky.
post #22 of 138
I would never, ever do it. I found a study about injuries in infant seats not in the car and injury and death can and does happen.
post #23 of 138
I cringe when I see people do this, even though I used to do it w/dd. I always want to say something to people, something polite, but I don't feel like it's my place. I started putting DD in the cart part even though it made limited room for groceries.
I do notice that a lot of the time when I see it happening, the male partner is pushing the cart with both eyes on the baby in the bucket, and the mom is shopping (or vice versa). I don't think it's too bad as long as someone is constantly with the cart.
post #24 of 138
So, I was going to post something very snarky, but I'm going to resist and just say this:

If this was so horribly dangerous then a: there would be PSA's out the wazoo about it and b: stores would *NOT* allow it - too easy to get sued. Seeing as I've *never* seen a PSA nor a single sign *ANYWHERE* saying not to, I'm not going to worry about it. I don't do it all the time (for extended trips, I put DS2 in the mei tei and DS1 in the basket), but for short, quick 'run in and grab something' I definetly do, especially if DS2 is asleep.

And as for the argument that the ones taht are bolted onto the seat are lighter and thus safer... IDK. Everyone I've ever seen is about 6-12" HIGHER up than my carseat is and thus makes the cart *WAY* more top-heavy than my carseat does set ontop. And honestly, either way, if the whole cart tips, theres going to be issues. But I just don't see much safety difference between the two. And one requires waking my kid up and the other does not. So, I'm going to wake him up.
post #25 of 138
Seriously folks, its not banned *ANYWHERE* I've ever been, and I've *NEVER* seen a warning not to do it *ANYWHERE*... if it was such a huge risk as some of you seem to think then it would be banned, and there would be warnings on every single grocery cart - Walmart, Giant Eagle, Kroger, would all have huge warnings and people telling you not to. But they don't.

Its not something I do all the time (mostly only when I'm going in for a short/quick trip and DS2 is blessidly asleep), but I do do it occasionally. And have no plans to stop.
post #26 of 138
I wear my babies 95% of the time but I have but a bucket on a cart on occasion. I have to agree with other posters- I have never seen a cart tip. I suppose a stroller could tip too- I have seen this happen- so should we ban strollers?

LOL, are we getting to safety minded for our own good?
post #27 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Seriously folks, its not banned *ANYWHERE* I've ever been, and I've *NEVER* seen a warning not to do it *ANYWHERE*... if it was such a huge risk as some of you seem to think then it would be banned, and there would be warnings on every single grocery cart - Walmart, Giant Eagle, Kroger, would all have huge warnings and people telling you not to. But they don't.

Its not something I do all the time (mostly only when I'm going in for a short/quick trip and DS2 is blessidly asleep), but I do do it occasionally. And have no plans to stop.
*shrugs* Not sure how far you're extending *ANYWHERE* but someone already linked to the AAP warning not to do it.

That aside I would never do this, but not because of carts tipping... Car seats are for cars, not for out of cars. I am more worried about oxygen saturations and positional asphyxia in car seats, and only use them for as long as I need to at a time. I pop baby in a carrier to shop and then back into the car seat once we are in the car.
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
*shrugs* Not sure how far you're extending *ANYWHERE* but someone already linked to the AAP warning not to do it.
It's also in many carseat manuals.
post #29 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
It's also in many carseat manuals.
Good point I just went to check my manual and sure enough on page 11 (I have a Snugride32 and am in Canada) it says "NEVER place carrier on the top of shopping cart."
post #30 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
That aside I would never do this, but not because of carts tipping... Car seats are for cars, not for out of cars. I am more worried about oxygen saturations and positional asphyxia in car seats, and only use them for as long as I need to at a time. I pop baby in a carrier to shop and then back into the car seat once we are in the car.
How nice that you had a baby who would sleep and didn't live in a cold climate.

If my DD actually fell asleep in the car on the way to shopping when she was a baby, I was letting her sleep. Also, because I followed the advice on not putting her into a snowsuit under the carstraps, what else was I suppose to do when it was well below freezing? I had a nice warm protected carseat (blankets and shower cap thing). I sure wasn't going to take her out to put her into a carrier in the parking lot and have her freeze.

And if I brought the carseat into the store and she was still asleep I was going to try to get my shopping done before she woke up.
post #31 of 138
Hi! I read this board all the time, but this is my first post.

I just wanted to add that earlier this year I was at a Kroger supermarket with my kids and had the baby in his bucket clicked on to the top of the cart. I was leaving the store and bumped into something on the ground that I could not see and the baby seat flipped over and fell into the basket upside down. Thank God the handle was in the carrying position (locked up) and it hit the basket first. The baby was suspended upside down inside the cart strapped in his car seat and did not get hurt. It can happen. I'm glad he is big enough to sit in the actual cart seat now.
post #32 of 138
My 4 year old son can legally ride in just a seat belt where I live...what is legal or allowed isn't always safe.

I actually have heard of select stores "suggesting" not to do it, much like the little drawings on the seat of the cart "suggest" you strap your child in and don't let them stand. No one is going to tell you what to do with your own child or kick you out.

I don't know what more anyone needs...car seat manuals say not to do it, the AAP says don't do it, techs say don't do it, individual people have shared their stories of babies being flipped over....

I know a lady who straps her baby to her chest, pushes her disabled 50 lb 6 year old's wheelchair and pulls a cart behind her. I'm sure it's not easy, but it gets the job done and both kids are safe. To hear people complain about finding an alternative for their one healthy typical baby makes me .
post #33 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Seriously folks, its not banned *ANYWHERE* I've ever been, and I've *NEVER* seen a warning not to do it *ANYWHERE*... if it was such a huge risk as some of you seem to think then it would be banned, and there would be warnings on every single grocery cart - Walmart, Giant Eagle, Kroger, would all have huge warnings and people telling you not to. But they don't.

Its not something I do all the time (mostly only when I'm going in for a short/quick trip and DS2 is blessidly asleep), but I do do it occasionally. And have no plans to stop.
This. I have never seen a shopping cart tip, even with me riding on the back or front of it (I'm a dork and coast on them) and I weigh a heck of a lot more than my baby in a car seat. Plus I can't imagine Wal-Mart wouldn't have huge warnings all over to cover their butts if this happened even once.
post #34 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
How nice that you had a baby who would sleep and didn't live in a cold climate.

If my DD actually fell asleep in the car on the way to shopping when she was a baby, I was letting her sleep. Also, because I followed the advice on not putting her into a snowsuit under the carstraps, what else was I suppose to do when it was well below freezing? I had a nice warm protected carseat (blankets and shower cap thing). I sure wasn't going to take her out to put her into a carrier in the parking lot and have her freeze.

And if I brought the carseat into the store and she was still asleep I was going to try to get my shopping done before she woke up.
That's quite the assumption... it gets plenty cold here plus we have windchill making it even worse. I'm in Ontario, Canada and while the temperature can vary greatly across the province it's not exactly known for warm winters... in fact the temperatures outside can be downright deadly at the coldest times. There is no way I'd take my child outside in the winter without warm clothing on... he'd freeze to death.

That being said if you believe something is important enough you make it work. You don't see it as a great enough risk for your child, I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying for my child I won't take the risk. I would sit in the back of the car and take my own coat off to put the baby in the carrier and then zip my coat up over us both (he in regular clothes with a one layer fleece snowsuit over it, no poofy winter coat because I agree, anything that makes the straps unable to be buckled at the same tightness is not safe). When we came back to the car I'd put him in his seat and bundle him with blankets over him once he was buckled.

Convenient. Nope. Definitely not. But neither is using a carseat at all... it would be way more convenient to just leave him in the carrier and put my seatbelt over us both. I won't do it though. Sometimes my convenience (and his, he was woken up more than once) is trumped by safety. That's just how it works.

You can choose to make a different parental call, I'm sure I make calls that you would think aren't as safe as the ones you make... that's the nature of this parenting thing. But it doesn't mean it isn't workable or that there aren't risks to doing the convenient thing.
post #35 of 138
Some posts have been removed for UAVs. Please keep in mind:

Quote:
Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members. Please avoid negative characterizations and generalizations about others to respect the diversity of our online community.
Quote:
1. Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack or in any way which violates the law.
from the MDC User Agreement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM a moderator of this forum.
post #36 of 138
We live in a cold climate and manage without putting the seat on the cart. I just put coats on the older kids before we get out of the car, and cover baby with a blanket. In a wrap/carrier DS is snug as a bug.
post #37 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
I don't do it. Too risky for me.

And for those who say it's safe because the car seat "clicks" in place - That may be when you're pushing it around the store. But the car seat was not designed to be used that way, not tested for safety that way, etc. How do you know a bump wouldn't make it come loose? Or if the cart tipped, that it wouldn't fly right off?
As far as that aspect is concerned, if dd2's bucket would do that, then it's completely useless as a car seat, because the clips that hold it on the cart are the same clips that hold it in its base.

I'd never heard that this was dangerous and lots of people do it here, including me. I've put her in the basket part once (a couple days ago), but that was really pretty useless, as it left almost nowhere to put my groceries.

I'm also surprised to hear that carts wobble and tip. I've never seen a cart tip in my entire life, except once when I was about 14 and it was pushed across a parking lot at very high speed, and hit a bump (kind of scary, because I was riding in it).
post #38 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I would sit in the back of the car and take my own coat off to put the baby in the carrier and then zip my coat up over us both...
That's great. I fortunately don't have to worry about the cold very often. However, that wouldn't even come close to working for me, because I can't wear my baby in a carrier in the car, and I certainly can't get in or out of the car with the baby strapped on. I can't even imagine doing that. If I want to take her out of her seat, I have to take her out and put her in the carrier while I stand beside the van.
post #39 of 138
Actually, my mother peronally knows someone whose child, now ten or something, sustained permanent, debilitating head injuries from a cart crash when he was a baby.

High up in a cart is never a good idea. There are a lot of unsafe things you're allowed to do. Sometimes, if one case is tested and the defendant is not liable (e.g. a judge finds a grocery store NOT liable for children placed in dangerous positions in its carts) they will just let people do it.

It's four times more deadly to be a lap baby than a carseat baby in a plane.

Airlines don't require carseats.

Don't let the grocery store tell you what's safe.
post #40 of 138
And I sit in the car until my kids wake up to go shopping. If I can't wait, well, as it happens I have a carseat stroller (carseat turns into a stroller) BUT there are always the options of either waking baby (highly undesirable, about as undesirable as jumping off a tall building, actually) to put in a carrier, or carrying around baby in the bucket (heavy, difficult, but safer), or at the absolute least, putting baby under the cart so there's less of a fall in the event of the cart toppling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Baby bucket car seats toddering on the top of shopping carts