This is a really great kick-in-the-pants.WHO I AM:
I'm Rachel. I WOHM PT, have 2 kids, and a DH. We have a number of financial issues right now: The biggest one is that my husband is an very well educated attorney with a gizillion degrees, and $800 a month in student loans to prove it. However, he also has BUT also with a lousy, low paying job with minimal benefits.
WHERE AM I GOING
: I have 4 short term financial goals:
- pay off about 1K on a credit card (top priority)
- be 1 month ahead on bills
-build up emergency fund to about 5K (currently at around 2K)
- save up about $350 for clothes shopping this coming spring. I lost about 15 lbs. with weight watchers this summer, and I still have about 12-15 to lose.
For this month, I will start small. I would like to pay $300 towards our cc this month.
- no spending
- budgeted spending
- unbugeted spending
- unbudgeted & emergency spendingHOW AM I GOING TO GET THERE:
-Unforutnately, I needed to make the hard decision to quit going to WW and do it on my own.
. This is hard for me now, because I love the support I got from attending meetings, but I know that my larger EF and smaller cc debt will thank me for it!
- grocery budget: $375. Stick to it. Maybe purchase prepaid visa card, shop at Super Walmart (
on my day off, and MEAL PLAN!!!
-stick to list when going shopping (grocery store, target, etc...)
-record items in monthly budget (THIS IS REALLY HARD FOR ME)
-limit store-bought coffee, sushi lunches, etc. to $20 (already spent 8.70 before I decided to do this....)
-RETURN LIBRARY BOOKS ON TIME!!!
I 'll bet that for a lot of people, $375 seems like a lot on groceries. I am going to start with that and see about trimming as the months go on. Last month, I spent about $475 on groceries.
I am going to start with the past few days.....
- 14/375 groceries
- ALMOST. Went to Target and only bought 1 item not on my list, sidewalk chalk for my kids. When I recorded it, I made sure to take it out of "toys" budget.