or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › October Low-Income Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October Low-Income Thread - Page 19

post #361 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post
Just wanted to drop in and share some good news. We thought my DH would be eligible for financial aid this semester but the school said he wasn't, but then we received a letter in the mail saying they changed his status and will give aid for this semester, and the next! Now we can pay the house payment until the end of the school year and have a small Christmas!
Thats wonderful!
post #362 of 385
Why, oh, why does something always happen just when you are getting on top of things???? (where is that exasperated smiley...) I am about to start full time with my new job with a pay raise on Monday and when I took my car in to be inspected today, they found that it needed a new ball joint and muffler. Mufflers for my car cost about $200 (and this is the fourth freaking one it has needed.... ) and that doesn't even count labor. The ball joint plus inspection is about $300 total, so it could cost nearly $600 for my car to be completely fixed and drivable. If I drain my son's savings ($75), my savings ($150ish) and take the last bit out of my checking, that comes to around $450. That leaves me with absolutely no money at all. I do get another paycheck of around $45 tomorrow and then get paid by my current employer next Friday. That check should be around $400, but I also have a couple of bills that absolutely need to be paid (car insurance, cell phone) It is just so insanely frustrating. I need my car so I can get to work, so I can pay my bills to fix my car. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I *think* I can do it with the bus, but only for this week. Starting next week I will be working 8-5pm and my son's school is at least a 45 minute walk from my work and the absolute earliest I can drop him off is 7:30, and that would literally be dropping him at the door without even saying goodbye.

I am completely freaking out.......
post #363 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Why, oh, why does something always happen just when you are getting on top of things???? (where is that exasperated smiley...) I am about to start full time with my new job with a pay raise on Monday and when I took my car in to be inspected today, they found that it needed a new ball joint and muffler. Mufflers for my car cost about $200 (and this is the fourth freaking one it has needed.... ) and that doesn't even count labor. The ball joint plus inspection is about $300 total, so it could cost nearly $600 for my car to be completely fixed and drivable. If I drain my son's savings ($75), my savings ($150ish) and take the last bit out of my checking, that comes to around $450. That leaves me with absolutely no money at all. I do get another paycheck of around $45 tomorrow and then get paid by my current employer next Friday. That check should be around $400, but I also have a couple of bills that absolutely need to be paid (car insurance, cell phone) It is just so insanely frustrating. I need my car so I can get to work, so I can pay my bills to fix my car. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I *think* I can do it with the bus, but only for this week. Starting next week I will be working 8-5pm and my son's school is at least a 45 minute walk from my work and the absolute earliest I can drop him off is 7:30, and that would literally be dropping him at the door without even saying goodbye.

I am completely freaking out.......
s Pumpkin_Pie I know that feeling all to well. I just posted how things were finally looking better and now my life has fallen apart and I am a wreak Plus I have a horrible sinus infection and pretty sure a double ear infection

Hoping things look up soon
post #364 of 385
when it rains it pours. Just found out our income is likely going to be docked again.

I'm trying to look on the bright side - at least then we'll qualify for weatherization aid!
post #365 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
when it rains it pours. Just found out our income is likely going to be docked again.

I'm trying to look on the bright side - at least then we'll qualify for weatherization aid!
s

but hey, maybe it might balance out in your bills once the house is weather proofed. I know I get a wicked cold breeze that comes through the front door and outlets so I have to keep it warmer in here or else your freezing from the draft. We just turned on the heater for the 1st time this week, I'm dreading the higher bills because of the darn draft. I called the weatherization program and it just repeats the same message telling about the program but not about how to apply for it
post #366 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Why, oh, why does something always happen just when you are getting on top of things???? (where is that exasperated smiley...) I am about to start full time with my new job with a pay raise on Monday and when I took my car in to be inspected today, they found that it needed a new ball joint and muffler. Mufflers for my car cost about $200 (and this is the fourth freaking one it has needed.... ) and that doesn't even count labor. The ball joint plus inspection is about $300 total, so it could cost nearly $600 for my car to be completely fixed and drivable. If I drain my son's savings ($75), my savings ($150ish) and take the last bit out of my checking, that comes to around $450. That leaves me with absolutely no money at all. I do get another paycheck of around $45 tomorrow and then get paid by my current employer next Friday. That check should be around $400, but I also have a couple of bills that absolutely need to be paid (car insurance, cell phone) It is just so insanely frustrating. I need my car so I can get to work, so I can pay my bills to fix my car. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I *think* I can do it with the bus, but only for this week. Starting next week I will be working 8-5pm and my son's school is at least a 45 minute walk from my work and the absolute earliest I can drop him off is 7:30, and that would literally be dropping him at the door without even saying goodbye.

I am completely freaking out.......
Oh Pumpkin, I am so sorry. I saw you're decluttering thread and you are soo busy right now, you do not need this! I wish I could just magically give you a vacation, b/c you deserve it, girl! I'm w/o a car right now too, actually just lost my job over it and it sucks.. I really hope something works out for you.. you may want to try modest needs to see if they could help you fix your car.. it probably won't be instant help, but it' s worth a shot. HUGS to you mama!

So I applied to a few more jobs today. We've all been sick, I don't know if its the flu or swine flu but it sucks. Dd stayed home w/ me today b/c she didn't look so good, although everyone else in the fam was sick last week, and now it's my turn, it looked like she just had a cough, but I still kept her home b/c I don't want her spreading any germs at preschool. We were going to go to the kids' fall fest today after school, but I think we'll skip since we're not feeling well and also at ds' school today they gave the flu vaxes and flu mists.. eww.. why do they do that the same day as the family fall fest?
Now I have a ton of chocolate spider cupcakes and mini cheesecakes I had made for the cake walk that we won't bring in cause we're sick.. oh well, so much for baking!

Did y'all see on the HH deals thread that you can buy General Mills Cereal right now and get free movie tixs? Cool.
http://new.emoviecash.com/gmills/
post #367 of 385
Well mama's were gonna be so screwed next semester I am admitting defeat and dropping one of my classes. I would literally have to get a perfect score on all the remaining tests to pass and I do not see that happening in a class this hard (Anatomy). I've missed what seems like half my classes due to car issues and Dr appts. It wouldn't have been so bad if I had been able to study at least but no, my kids won't allow that and by the time they go to bed I'm passing out from exhaustion myself. I managed to start taking the bus to school to get study time, that hasn't worked out so well, out of the 4 trips I think I got to study ONCE. There's no lights on the bus and the ride is so bumpy you can't read even if there was light plus I spend most of the trip trying not to throw up between the motion sickness and the smell of smokers its all I can do to close my eyes and breathe I've been spending half the week running on caffeine since I have to get up at 3:30am to catch the bus so its still dark when I get to school then on the way home I'm just wiped out anyway so between exhaustion and motion sickness study time doesn't happen. I arranged for at least the 3 yr old to go to daycare twice a week figuring between class time then the extra 2 days a week I could pull it off. Nope, her nurse who picks her up and takes her to daycare had to go out for a month on medical leave so those days got nixed too. She just started back this week but its to late to pass this class I have hope of passing my math class still but I'm screwed with Anatomy and it means I'm going to lose my fin aid from school since I'm already on appeal and I won't be able to meet the requirements that I pass all classes this semester.

I'll have to pay to attend myself and I have no idea how I'm going to pull off paying to go to school plus childcare for my 9 yr old (assuming we get the in home nursing set up for the 3 yr old by then) plus transportation whether its driving or taking the bus and I don't even know if my POS car will last though the semester if I have to drive it that much All I can do is pray that dd's SSI gets approved so I can at least use that to pay for childcare which I'm afraid to even find prices on, I know 8 years ago the average was $25 day and I can't even afford that. There are days I seriously wish I could get a job
post #368 of 385
Oh Satori s my heart is saddened by all the sad faces and all the hard times you are having. It really seems like this month has been very hard for all of us.

s to everyone who needs it s s s s s

This too shall pass is what I keep telling myself!
post #369 of 385
Satori, I am so sorry that things are so rough for you right now. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. It really seems like things just come raining down when you are at your lowest point. (for me anyway) I really hope you have a break soon.

Well, the bill for my car's ball joint came to $150, and I was able to make an appointment to get my muffler fixed next Friday. There is a chance they can patch it rather than replace the whole thing, so that will be a savings too. I will technically not be inspected, so not legal until next week, but my garage said to show them the receipt I had for the inspection today that says that I only have to get the muffler fixed and tell the police that I have an appointment for next Friday and I should be good unless the officer is feeling particularly nasty that day.

I also might be able to get some help from the state for car repairs, so I am crossing my fingers on that one too. I so can't wait to get my first paycheck from my job once I start full time. It will be nearly double what I am bringing home right now, although my first big check won't come in until 11/20. Things really should be a bit easier then, although my food stamps will be completely gone and my rent will likely hit around $400 per month or so (it is zero right now). I just hope that I come out ahead compared to when I was working very little and receiving tons of benefits.

DS is having such a hard time being in care for nearly 50 hours per week. I am also having such a hard time not seeing him at all. I literally spend about an hour with him in the morning and then about an hour and a half when we get home, and most of those 2.5 hours are spent making and eating meals, cleaning up my cluttered house, and getting him ready for bed/school.
post #370 of 385
I'm posting a quick happy post. While I'm immensely frustrated with our financial situation in general, we managed to score a replacement stove with hood for free!!! today. I've been oven-less since early summer when the old stove died, and while I had a couple checks where we *could* have managed to replace it with a new (used) stove, I also needed that money for other things. So, while it's going to require some carpentry skills (this one is wider than our old one) I can start baking in my own kitchen again this weekend- after MONTHS of having to bake at my folk's place...



The people who were giving the stove away apologized because the timer on it doesn't work... pft, I can find a timer for $3... I am so thankful for a working oven before Thanksgiving!
post #371 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I'm posting a quick happy post. While I'm immensely frustrated with our financial situation in general, we managed to score a replacement stove with hood for free!!! today. I've been oven-less since early summer when the old stove died, and while I had a couple checks where we *could* have managed to replace it with a new (used) stove, I also needed that money for other things. So, while it's going to require some carpentry skills (this one is wider than our old one) I can start baking in my own kitchen again this weekend- after MONTHS of having to bake at my folk's place...



The people who were giving the stove away apologized because the timer on it doesn't work... pft, I can find a timer for $3... I am so thankful for a working oven before Thanksgiving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post
Just wanted to drop in and share some good news. We thought my DH would be eligible for financial aid this semester but the school said he wasn't, but then we received a letter in the mail saying they changed his status and will give aid for this semester, and the next! Now we can pay the house payment until the end of the school year and have a small Christmas!
Yay for happy things! Let's not forget to share the happy things too, gals! WE need the warm fuzzies!
post #372 of 385
for everyone it seems.

Remember last month when my power bill was "paid" due to an open overpaid account that they credited to my current one? I just checked my bill for this month (online) and I owe less than 10 bucks! I wish I had an overpaid old account every month. That said though my power bill is higher than it should be IMO. I'm basically averaging $40 a month which I know isn't bad. However, this last month I made it a point to turn things off constantly to see if I could get away with 2 months worth of not paying and it didn't work. I think there is a wiring issue in my living room. One of the bulbs went out but not because it burnt out. It's being weird. I'll have to talk to my landlord about it. I'll definitely be trying harder this month to keep it down. My house is maybe 600 sqft. No reason to have a power bill that "high".

I know Christmas was mentioned a page or so ago....I'm totally planning on things I can get with food stamps. I am going to make these for every one. I'm planning on doing "families" of them so each family will get a set with the correct amount of snow people. The recipe has them connected but I think I'm going to do them seperate and make them hanging ornaments. Then I'll print this poem (scroll down) for each group. Then, because I'm paranoid that just seems cheap , I'll be making a bunch of Sweetie Pies. Most of that can be bought through food stamps and very few things are out of our norm (and therefore not included in our budget).

Dh and I were looking at houses the other night after having watched HGTV . I found one here in town that with the lowest possible down payment that the calculator would allow with the longest loan term (basic 30 year) we could get this house for about the same each month that I am currently paying. The house is a 4bdrm and almost 1500 sqft! My current place is a 2bdrm and under 600 sqft. Once I did the math for it the house is only about $44 a sqft! We are in the process of reconciling and while I know it would be bad to just jump and make a purchase like that it is soooo tempting! Luckily, I have some major social anxiety and hate talking to people, even on the phone, so I'm not likely to call the listing agent and do a walk through. Never thought I'd be happy about that! With our income not split in two like it currently is we could so afford it! Maybe I'll do a drive by....
post #373 of 385
Marlet I love your gifting ideas! I may have to make myself some of those snowmen this year, they are adorable!
post #374 of 385
Hey everybody. I'm getting very depressed about finding a job. I did go to UPS last night for a "plant tour", and I'm seriously thinking about it-but...(there's always a but, isn't there?) it is permanent part time, and it's "seasonal" so more than likely I'd get laid off around the end of December. But, she did say that people would be re-hired for permanent part-time in January (and that most of the people that were hired last year for seasonal, are still working there this year) So, I'm not sure what to do, it would only be between $125-$150 a week for now, but it's more than I'm making now and it would seriously help!!!!
So now I have the weekend to decide if this is a good idea.
post #375 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Hey everybody. I'm getting very depressed about finding a job. I did go to UPS last night for a "plant tour", and I'm seriously thinking about it-but...(there's always a but, isn't there?) it is permanent part time, and it's "seasonal" so more than likely I'd get laid off around the end of December. But, she did say that people would be re-hired for permanent part-time in January (and that most of the people that were hired last year for seasonal, are still working there this year) So, I'm not sure what to do, it would only be between $125-$150 a week for now, but it's more than I'm making now and it would seriously help!!!!
So now I have the weekend to decide if this is a good idea.
Is that money after you pay for childcare/gas/lunches out/what ever? If its after everything else it would cost you for work I would go for it. If nothing else to put in savings for a rainy day and we all know those happen and it seems to always happen when you don't have any money to cover it IME.
post #376 of 385
I'm a little frustrated.

Oprah announced a big coupon on her show yesterday-50% off EVERYTHING in Payless shoes, (shoes, bags, socks, everything) all you do is download or get the code texted to you, and then use it at the store! fabulous right? well the stupid coupon is only good for yesterday and today. so i cant get there (no car) and i dont have the money needed to go get our winter boots (Even though 50% would be a godsend discount) it just frustrates me that oprah is so out of touch with the american public that the people who would benefit most from this great deal, need more than 48 hours to get it together to use it.

3 pairs of winter boots at 50% off would solve so many problems for my family, you know? (they probably sell gloves there too? i dont know) anyway...its frustrating.
post #377 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Hey everybody. I'm getting very depressed about finding a job. I did go to UPS last night for a "plant tour", and I'm seriously thinking about it-but...(there's always a but, isn't there?) it is permanent part time, and it's "seasonal" so more than likely I'd get laid off around the end of December. But, she did say that people would be re-hired for permanent part-time in January (and that most of the people that were hired last year for seasonal, are still working there this year) So, I'm not sure what to do, it would only be between $125-$150 a week for now, but it's more than I'm making now and it would seriously help!!!!
So now I have the weekend to decide if this is a good idea.
I would love to work for UPS, they are a great company and you get good benefits, so I've heard. I've also heard the same that they do tend to try to keep seasonal workers. I've tried to apply to them many times, but the postions open in my area are always limited and fill quickly. I'd go for it!
post #378 of 385
I'm seriously thinking about it, plus the fact that people are still working there from LAST year. So I think I'll go back on Monday and talk to the HR lady about a job.
I guess it can't hurt, right?
post #379 of 385
I actually have something good happening today I sold something and was able to get a nice warm coat for myself at a fraction of the price and it will last for years PLUS, I had $10 left over so since I had to drive into the city today (which is more good news) I ran over to Winco and they had some awesome deals, I picked up 6lbs of banana's, 4 lbs of yellow onions, 10lb bag of potato's and 4 cans of green giant veggies for $3.92 Tomorrow I'll grab 2lbs of Roma Tomato's for .98 cents locally. I put the remaining $5 in the gas tank to get us home (and of course now were on empty)

BUT, we had to go into the city to meet with the nursing care people, I'm not to thrilled with the idea of having a nurse in my house every day from 9-5 and dd LOVES going to the daycare nursing center but I understood that she could only do one or the other and not both. The daycare doesn't work for me, I need care on M-W and her nurse there can only pick her up T-TH. I found out that I can do both! A nurse will come M-W-F and she'll go to daycare T-TH so she will still see all her little friends and have a blast. Friday with the nurse here to chase dd I'll be free to cook meals for the following week rather then chase dd who's busy trying to rip apart the house and I can leave the house to go study if I want It won't go into effect until they get all the paperwork and auth's done so it probably won't happen until Dec/Jan but in theory it should really help me. Now I just got to figure out what to do with older dd.
post #380 of 385
Wah Hoo Satori! I am so happy to hear some good news from you! I hope it all works out for you and things keep looking up. Nice score on the veggies too! I am so envious!

I can't believe it is time to start a new November low income thread. Where is the fall going???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › October Low-Income Thread