or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Pregnant Vegans ~ Fall/Winter Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pregnant Vegans ~ Fall/Winter Thread - Page 6

post #101 of 122
Congrats Rachel!
post #102 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by racheloperasinger View Post
Hi mamas! I haven't been on for a while, but I wanted to let you know that baby Kaia was born on January 4 at 3:05 a.m. at home after barely 5.5 hours of labor! She was 7 lbs 11 oz and 21 inches long. Short labor, but the birth story is kind of long and I will try to post soon.

BUT*** I wanted to share this with you vegan mamas: I had a lot of trouble birthing my placenta and when it finally came out, the midwives were really impressed with how big and thick it was. They said that was due to excellent nutrition!! Just thought I'd share that tidbit.
Congrats mama!!! Yet another awesome story to tell naysayers who think that vegans can't grow healthy babies!!!
post #103 of 122
Congratulations, Rachel!!!! Can't wait to hear the whole story when you have a quiet moment.
post #104 of 122
Congratulations Rachel! Yeah I got nods also when my twin placentas were born, and when my recent girl was born
post #105 of 122
Quote:
stardust on January 10th

TSomm on January 27th

PoetryLover on January 29th

Keeta on February 10th

VegMomma on March 3rd

Nicolette507 on March 8th

cocanib on March 6th

bubbagirl on March 10th

Sprouthead on April 14th

Sugahbee on April 22nd

HoneybeeWaterfall
on May 3rd

Jelinifer on May 6th

indignantgirl on May 13th

To-Fu on May 31st

Onthetrail on June 10th

Juise on July 5th

Becksteracious on July 10th

Craft Media Hero on July 25th

Somegirl99 on July 30th
Has anyone heard how Stardust is doing these days?
post #106 of 122
hi ladies!

i haven't seen this thread for awhile..

i was wondering if anyone stocked their freezer, or is planning to for after the baby comes? i would like to do this, and i'd love to hear from other mamas!
post #107 of 122
I have grand plans for a stocked freezer. Grand plans indeed. This baby could very well be here in 3-4 weeks, and so far, all I've got is a container of leek and potato soup. Ahem.

But! One thing I have done, is made a cheat-sheet for the husband. I do most of the cooking in our house, so I wrote down (aka. typed into his iphone...) some of the recipes I make most often. Like the breadmaker recipe, the biscuit recipe, peanut-ginger sauce, chocolate chip cookies.... Um, you get the idea.

My plan is to make loads of soups, etc. for the freezer (with my imaginary time and planning skills?), and then he will just have to worry about whipping up some biscuits or whatever.

I'm also asking my mom and stepmom to donate some freezer food. I know my stepmom has a potpie in the wings for me (um, yum), and my mom will likely make some pasta sauce, and soup. Aaaalso! My mom gifted us some gift cards to some of our favorite local restaurants for xmas. Hello, take-out!

My family is pretty awesome, and I them.
post #108 of 122
For the freezer, I made 3 lasagnas, we have I think 4-5 mason jars of various soups/chilis, I made a dozen Magical Loaf Studio veggie meatloaf "muffins", my mom's making us some pasta fagioli, AND my awesome mom's group is going to be delivering meals to us for about a week.
post #109 of 122
thanks mamas!

i'm thinking of freezing soups and chilis, too.. i just got a vegetarian slow cooker cookbook for christmas so maybe i will just let soups simmer all day (and maybe even overnight?) then stick those in the freezer and go ahead w/ cooking for the day. i'll probably also stock up on frozen veggies, beans, and tofu, and have pasta on hand, so i'll have things that are easy to whip up.

keeta- i never thought of using mason jars for freezing.. is it easy to warm up afterwards?
post #110 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
keeta- i never thought of using mason jars for freezing.. is it easy to warm up afterwards?
Yeah, I think so...I just try to remember to take them out that morning and let them thaw on the counter - or if you have more lead time you can always thaw in the fridge overnight. We save all our glass from things we buy, so we freeze a LOT in glass! Just remember to leave some room at the top for expansion!
post #111 of 122
Hello everyone,
As our due date approaches, I was wondering about supplements for vegan infants. I have read a little bit, about omega-3 (DHA), vitamin d and B-12 needing to be supplemented, I think because of certain vitamins not getting transmitted through breastmilk. This is off the top of my head and I am sure there is more to it, but I wanted to ask...are any of you planning to start with supplements from day one? Or... if you already have little ones, have you done so in the past? Lastly, if you do give your baby supplements, which brands have you used? Thanks!
post #112 of 122
hi, i'm kind of new here, but i'm due March 24th. both my husband and i are vegan (well, lazy vegan/vegetarian) so we're planning to raise our little girl vegan too... hopefully to be less lazy than we are!

anyway, i'm just thinking about food now too. my husband is kind of stubborn when it comes to cooking (he would seriously live on pitas and hummus and canned soups if i didn't cook) and i don't want to suffer through crappy meals when i'm not up for cooking in the first couple weeks. so i guess my only real choice is to do some prep work. that also removes the opportunity for any visiting family to be snarky and/or passive agressive about food, which they've been known to do.

i'm thinking about putting together some curry bases, pasta sauces, and maybe prep some marinated tofu, seitan, and cutlet-type things. i find that people tend to be most intimidated by vegan proteins and sauces... so if i have plenty of those prepared, i feel like i can just say to my husband or mom or whoever, you just need to make a vegetable and a starch, and we'll actually get a balanced meal out of it. and of course, chili and stews are easy to make and freeze. i just gotta get my act together and start cooking!
post #113 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
hi ladies!

i haven't seen this thread for awhile..

i was wondering if anyone stocked their freezer, or is planning to for after the baby comes? i would like to do this, and i'd love to hear from other mamas!
I'm stocking it, but not with things I've cooked myself So far we've got two tofurkey roasts w/some bags of frozen veggies (will add some sort of potato or rice dish to the freezer to go with the Tofurkey soon too.) Lots of frozen burritos, muffins from Trader Joes and loaves of bread. I'm planning on commissioning a local cafe near our home to make us a bunch of veg pot pies for our freezer too-more because the chef/owner cooked the dinner DH proposed to me over and the cafe catered our wedding rehersal dinner.... we want some of their food on hand for our next big life event because we're sappy like that.



Closer to my EDD, I plan on making a ton of home made granola for snacks and breakfasts because that has a shelf life of around a month and doesn't have to be refridgerated or frozen.... and stocking the fridge with lots of hummus, soy milk and soy yogurt with dates that go pretty far out.
post #114 of 122

Glucose test

Hi gals! Long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer as to what we can eat on the morning of the glucose test? You know they say protein only - "eggs or meat". I am thinking maybe some patted down flavored tofu?

I have had glucose tests while vegan before but they were always early enough I just skipped food til after. This one is at 10 (with a blood draw at 10:30 presumably) so I think I am going to need to chow on something.
post #115 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneybeeWaterfall View Post
Hi gals! Long time no see.

I was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer as to what we can eat on the morning of the glucose test? You know they say protein only - "eggs or meat". I am thinking maybe some patted down flavored tofu?

I have had glucose tests while vegan before but they were always early enough I just skipped food til after. This one is at 10 (with a blood draw at 10:30 presumably) so I think I am going to need to chow on something.
So sorry Honeybee, I wish I would have seen this sooner.
I think I had a couple slices ezekiel bread with sunflower butter and scrambled tofu. Then I drank 8oz of juice 2 hrs before mw came over to test my blood.
I hope your test went well!
post #116 of 122
Hey mamas! Just wanted to let you know that I had my baby Monday night (2/8) at 11:07 - Please welcome August Emerson! 9 lbs 7 oz, 21.5" long. Labor was an intense 8 hours, about 40 minutes of which was pushing. So glad it's over! But he was well worth it. He's perfect, adorable and so sweet. I'm recovering well, ended up with a 2nd degree tear and a few stitches, but infinitely better than the 3rd degree episiotomy that I had with DS1. He had his hand up by his head while crowning, which is why the MW thought I tore.

I'll post a link to the full birth story when it's written. But meanwhile, pics!
post #117 of 122
Congrats Keeta, he's beautiful!
post #118 of 122
Congrats Chessa!!! What a cutie
post #119 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
hi, i'm kind of new here, but i'm due March 24th. both my husband and i are vegan (well, lazy vegan/vegetarian) so we're planning to raise our little girl vegan too... hopefully to be less lazy than we are!

anyway, i'm just thinking about food now too. my husband is kind of stubborn when it comes to cooking (he would seriously live on pitas and hummus and canned soups if i didn't cook) and i don't want to suffer through crappy meals when i'm not up for cooking in the first couple weeks. so i guess my only real choice is to do some prep work. that also removes the opportunity for any visiting family to be snarky and/or passive agressive about food, which they've been known to do.

i'm thinking about putting together some curry bases, pasta sauces, and maybe prep some marinated tofu, seitan, and cutlet-type things. i find that people tend to be most intimidated by vegan proteins and sauces... so if i have plenty of those prepared, i feel like i can just say to my husband or mom or whoever, you just need to make a vegetable and a starch, and we'll actually get a balanced meal out of it. and of course, chili and stews are easy to make and freeze. i just gotta get my act together and start cooking!
post #120 of 122
Anyone know what's going on with TSomm, Stardust, or PoetyLover? Hopefully their babies are all sefely here by now!

Quote:
VegMomma on March 3rd

Nicolette507 on March 8th

cocanib on March 6th

bubbagirl on March 10th

SilverFish on March 24

Sprouthead on April 14th

Sugahbee on April 22nd

HoneybeeWaterfall on May 3rd

Jelinifer on May 6th

indignantgirl on May 13th

To-Fu on May 31st

Onthetrail on June 10th

Juise on July 5th

Becksteracious on July 10

Craft Media Hero on July 25th

Somegirl99 on July 30th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Pregnant Vegans ~ Fall/Winter Thread