or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Previous c/sec mamas?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
What will you be doing in June? What kind of support do you have for your choices?

The hospital here in Bozeman has a vbac ban... the closest one that allows vbac is a 2 hour drive. I hate not knowing what to plan on.
post #2 of 22
I will be scheduled for my 4th c-section around 36-37 weeks, so mid to late May. They suck....yes they do. But I have accepted that it's my fate and I can't let it get me down anymore.

I have my dh take off 2 weeks. I just learned that the hospital here doesn't have a nursery(only awesome NICU) as they encourage bonding from the start. So I am wondering what we will do at nights, when someone needs to put my co-sleeping kids to bed. We are still figuring that out. Aside from that, I am not too worried about recovery. I was walking pretty well the day after my section with my 3rd. Nearly ran out of the NICU in tears, so I can ok to walk. Gets easier everytime.
post #3 of 22
I will be calling a homebirth midwife sometime next month and setting up my first HBA2C!!

I'll have DH & my mom on my side, DS will attend the birth (they just BANNED CHILDREN from the local hospital!). My MIL will be in charge of keeping DS happy, & my sister will record the birth on video. Well, that's the plan I have in my head. We'll see.

I was so fed up with the whole medical process after my last unnecessary C-Section, and when I analyzed what happened (FTP was dx'ed, though I realize now I was only in prodromal labor), I realized that the trip to the hospital was a big factor in holding back my labor. So I say screw it! Who needs the hospital? Not I, and not my baby!!

I still have some anger issues and probably some PTSD, I guess.
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
I would love to ditch the hospital, but don't know if I can. My records from my c/sec were destroyed at my old hospital, and I can't have a midwife attended birth in this state because of that. I had no medical reason for surgery, just induced, ftp... you've heard the story. I'm trying one last ditch effort to get my records- I've requested my pregnancy records from my gp, hoping he has them even tho he didn't do the surgery. He does still have my file, I just don't know what's in it. It should be here any day.
post #5 of 22
I'll be going in for my fourth c/s during the 39th week. I am hoping to wait until the 40th week but we won't talk about that (we being parents of baby, my OB and myself) until later on.
post #6 of 22
We are planning a HBAC and I'm really excited about it. We've already picked a great midwife and I feel a really nice energy about this time around. My c/s last time may or may not have been necessary. I fully dilated and pushed for about 5 hours in all sorts of creative positions but DD simply would not come out. She was posterior and brow presentation. So finally, after trying with a vacuum, I had a c/s. There's a part of me that has always wondered, though-- if I would have been at home and more relaxed, could she have had more room and better "vibes" to turn into a better position? Who knows. I'm glad that this time I hopefully won't have to ask that question.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post
I would love to ditch the hospital, but don't know if I can. My records from my c/sec were destroyed at my old hospital, and I can't have a midwife attended birth in this state because of that. I had no medical reason for surgery, just induced, ftp... you've heard the story. I'm trying one last ditch effort to get my records- I've requested my pregnancy records from my gp, hoping he has them even tho he didn't do the surgery. He does still have my file, I just don't know what's in it. It should be here any day.
Geeze!! I'm so sorry to hear that. The hospital lost your records so you can't have a midwife.? Don't you want to throttle lawmakers/lawyers/insurers who come up with dumb things like that? I really hope you get the records that you need and can have the birth you want.
post #8 of 22
My plan is going across the state line to have a VBAC in the midwife's house. It's about a 90 minute drive. If she gets booked up I guess I could always try The Farm. (just got finished reading Ina May's book )
post #9 of 22
My first was an emergency C/S resulting from an unnecessary cold induction, "pit to distress", and a posterior baby. Had I been better educated, none of it would have happened. My 2nd was a scheduled C/S because my OB basically told me that I was just one of those women who can't deliver vaginally and told my DH that I would die if I tried.

So. . . . after alot of soul searching and trying to heal . . . I am going for a vba2c! None of our local drs will touch me so I'm going to an awesome OB about 1.5 hours away and will deliver there, too. Atleast I will finally know that if I end up with a C/S, I'll actually need it.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
Geeze!! I'm so sorry to hear that. The hospital lost your records so you can't have a midwife.? Don't you want to throttle lawmakers/lawyers/insurers who come up with dumb things like that? I really hope you get the records that you need and can have the birth you want.
They didn't lose them... hospitals and docs are only mandated to store certain records for certain lengths of time. They were destroyed about 8 years ago, when they were ten years old. It never occurred to me to get them. Not only could I not imagine having another child (until I met dh) I wouldn't want to keep a record of that trauma, ykwim? But it's a lesson learned. I'm now in the process of requesting records from several of the practitioners I've seen over the years, not only in hopes of getting my c/s records, but just to have all of my history and feel a bit more in charge.

I did talk to a wonderful midwife here in town, and she helped me think (cry) through some of my c/s ordeal. She was the first person to really listen to me and understand. I'd love to give birth with her nearby, she's such a woman wisdom woman, I just love her. She glows with faith and love... but I can't want that too much because it likely isn't to be.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
My records came, and I'm going to have a vbac!!!!

There is one page of surgery notes in my file from my old gp, but it clearly shows I have a double suture yay, and now that I have records I can have a midwife and a home birth!!

I'm so excited...!
post #12 of 22
Congrats! What wonderful news
post #13 of 22
Great news, Buzzer Beater!!!

AFM, we are trying for an HBAC with the same midwife we tried to do a home birth with the first go round.
So sorry for those of you in situations with crappy hospitals, laws and long drives. Thats not fair one bit.
post #14 of 22
That's wonderful news!

I'm planning an HBAC with a fabulous midwife. I'm really excited by the prospect.

I had a csect with DS after 4 days of labor with a posterior baby. In retrospect it was prodromal labor and I should have waited it out at home but I couldn't imagine 3 days of contractions that were consistantly 5 minutes apart as being prodromal and I never had any back labor so it didn't occur to me that he was posterior. In the end I was exhausted, went to the hospital, ended up with pit, pushed for 2.5 hours and had a csection at 2 a.m. on christmas day.
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Uggg Alison that sounds so much like mine, except for the Christmas part. I am so excited to be able to shake that off and move forward. I had a terrible time recovering from days of labor and then surgery (I was induced) and what a weight off knowing I don't have to do that again!
I'm researching birth tubs!
Sara
post #16 of 22
I remember reading about your records issue in Birth and Beyond, I'm so glad you're going to get your VBAC.

It's amazing the toll such a long labor and surgery take on your body. I was expecting a natural birth and was totally unprepared for the sheer exhaustion. I'm really looking forward to this birth being a healing experience.
post #17 of 22
I've had 2 c/s. My first was necessary (breech twins, prolapsed cord). My second was elective. I regret that decision but I was petrified from my first birthing experience that I just let the OB "suggest" I have a c/s.

I'm going with a midwife this time around. After looking at my past records I've been given the green light to have a homebirth this time.

My dh is still nervous about the whole thing... only because my first preg/birth was such a nightmare. He supports me fully though and respects my decision to embark on this journey. I plan on having dh, both my children and the midwives present at the birth. I don't think I could tolerate anyone else there looking at my yoo-hoo

I have not told anyone about my HB plans... I know my MIL (who is a drama queen and hypochondriac) will have some negative things to say. Probably my family will too I plan on holding my ground and having the birth I have always wanted
post #18 of 22
Whoo hoo Sara! That's great news!!
post #19 of 22
I don't know what I'm going to do yet. There is one doc in my area who will do VBA2Cs and he is about 45 minutes away for appointments and hospital location.

I am fairly certain if I want to have the baby at a closer location I will have to have a scheduled c/section. But I will be closer. My last baby was a preemie and I really hope that doesn't happen again but if it does I don't know that I want to be at the hospital where the VBA2C guy is. I need to sit down and write a pro/con list for my choices here.
post #20 of 22
I'm seeing a group of midwives through our insurance (managed care thing) and they encourage vbacs. they have a vbac class and one of the highest vbac rates in our state at their birthing center.

Still not sure though; i might opt to schedule a c/s. Last time was pretty traumatizing. My experience sounded very much like ShaChar. My plan is to wait and listen to my body when it gets closer to the time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2010