or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV - Page 8

post #141 of 201
An old friend of mine once told me: "What's the use of having kids if you can't order them around?"
... if I hadn't been so shocked I would have kicked him.
post #142 of 201
I just love the ones who give unsolicited advice in the checkout line at the grocery store. DH travels quite often for work, so at times I have to take all 3 kids to the store. I do my best to plan my shopping trip in the most efficient way I can with a good list and going to my 'usual' store so that I know where everything is. I also bring along our reusable water bottles and a good snack to keep them occupied. But inevitably someone will start whining for candy at the checkout line... so I've gotten these gems:

"In MY day children were seen and not heard."

"What that child needs is a good spanking!" (which I replied with "No, what that child needs is for old busybodies to mind their own damn business." in my iciest tone)

"Oh MY! You sure have your hands full with those redheads. I've always heard redheads were brats." (which I replied with "And I always heard white hair meant you were senile... guess we're both right!")

"Your mommy should send you to live at my house! That attitude would last 5 minutes with me." (I turned to my oldest daughter - she's 7 - and said "See honey, that's why we don't talk to strangers because they can be really rude.")

I just don't get why people think that they can just speak to someone (or someone's CHILD) like that!!!! It makes me really angry.

I, on the other hand, if I see a mommy struggling with a crying child in the store tend to smile sympathetically and say "I have 3 of my own, I've been there done that". Especially if I'm by myself and behind the other mom in line.

Beth
post #143 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post
I just love the ones who give unsolicited advice in the checkout line at the grocery store. DH travels quite often for work, so at times I have to take all 3 kids to the store. I do my best to plan my shopping trip in the most efficient way I can with a good list and going to my 'usual' store so that I know where everything is. I also bring along our reusable water bottles and a good snack to keep them occupied. But inevitably someone will start whining for candy at the checkout line... so I've gotten these gems:

"In MY day children were seen and not heard."

"What that child needs is a good spanking!" (which I replied with "No, what that child needs is for old busybodies to mind their own damn business." in my iciest tone)

"Oh MY! You sure have your hands full with those redheads. I've always heard redheads were brats." (which I replied with "And I always heard white hair meant you were senile... guess we're both right!")

"Your mommy should send you to live at my house! That attitude would last 5 minutes with me." (I turned to my oldest daughter - she's 7 - and said "See honey, that's why we don't talk to strangers because they can be really rude.")

I just don't get why people think that they can just speak to someone (or someone's CHILD) like that!!!! It makes me really angry.

I, on the other hand, if I see a mommy struggling with a crying child in the store tend to smile sympathetically and say "I have 3 of my own, I've been there done that". Especially if I'm by myself and behind the other mom in line.

Beth
OMG you are hilarious!
post #144 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
I somehow managed to get a couple of pencil lead bits stuck in my thighs in middle school... pencils that were too sharp that I had either shoved in my pocket (duh) or fell from my desk and just landed odd. 21 years later and I'm not dead yet.
This one time in middle school, I got poked w/ a sharp pencil... inside my nostril! Hard enough to draw blood, lol. The girl w/ the locker right next to mine got the pencil out, then swung her arm out of the way so she could close the door, and swung the pencil point right into my nostril. LOL.
post #145 of 201
"In MY day children were seen and not heard."

"Humph! Must be why you're such a crabby old busybody."

Or how about the nice version:

"I'm so sorry for you Good thing they got rid of those old ideas, huh?"

post #146 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post

I, on the other hand, if I see a mommy struggling with a crying child in the store tend to smile sympathetically and say "I have 3 of my own, I've been there done that". Especially if I'm by myself and behind the other mom in line.

Beth
*nods* I only have one but I try to be sympathetic too. There was one day in the grocery store I had DS in the Ergo and he was fighting sleep really hard. He kept making this "uuhhhhh" noise (like a whine kind of) and people kept staring at me like "well, make him stop." He was 5 months at the time. DH and I thought it was hilarious and kept giggling.
We were running in to Walmart one day and there was a family with a boy that couldn't have been more than 2. He was tired and kept crying. The mom walked by us and said (apologetically) "He's being a brat." I just smiled and said, "Hey, don't worry about it. We had a day like that yesterday. I'm sorry he's tired" and she looked surprised.
post #147 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post
"Your mommy should send you to live at my house! That attitude would last 5 minutes with me." (I turned to my oldest daughter - she's 7 - and said "See honey, that's why we don't talk to strangers because they can be really rude.")
I especially love this response and will use it, if you don't mind.

What is it about people in grocery stores? I always got the "he's not suffocating in there, is he?" question with DS in the sling. One day I was so tired, I just said "probably" without thinking. Oops.

My DS is really short - in the 2nd percentile for weight and the 5th for height, but he's totally healthy (I was never on the charts, either). I get a lot of "is he growing right?" or "are you sure he's healthy?" or "you can't let a baby that small walk!"

I usually just roll my eyes. How exactly am I supposed to keep an 18mo from walking?
post #148 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
How exactly am I supposed to keep an 18mo from walking?
By wearing them, of course. But from your earlier comments, that causes "issues" w/ strangers as well. (roll eyes)

My shopping trip yesterday took longer than usual, and DS needed to eat halfway through. I went to the back where I knew there was a bench and fed him. Didn't get any comments. Then I was putting him back up on my back and someone asked if I needed help, lol. But that's pretty mild, I guess. I keep waiting for someone to REALLY irk me.
post #149 of 201
i was in asda yeterday getting dd (9 months) some leg warmer (sooo cute!!) and a woman with a teenager adn a maybe 5 year old was in there, the teenger was pestering for something and the little on was... well... being a 5 year old tbh lol.. she looked tired, i smiled at her, in what i thought was a 'i know how you feel' kinda way and she said "i f&%cking hate my kids"
post #150 of 201
post #151 of 201
indeed.
post #152 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Also, I cracked up a couple of weeks ago on Oprah when Nate (the decorator) was talking to some 4-H girls who were feeding a calf with a bottle and Nate said, "Oh, are you feeding him his own milk?" People apparently just really don't understand cows and/or the way mammals work!
But that is confusing!
We'd think cows would nurse their calves,
and most people don't know that that's not usually allowed for long ( )

It seems to me that he meant milk from his mother, right?
post #153 of 201
I said something horrible and dumb about my own DS this past weekend. Still no idea why I said it.

We were at a store and I was letting him wander around a little. He had been in the car for a long time and likes to walk in circles, KWIM?

So he was wandering near the check out line, just chatting and babbling away, smiling and walking in his little circles, and a real nice woman in line said, "Gee, I wish I could buy one of THOSE" meaning my son because he was being so cute. It wasn't creepy.... it was nice.

And my response?!?!? "Sure, you can have him. 50 cents. No wait, a quarter."


She looked kind of horrified and said "Oh, nooooo, of course not!" and I felt like such an ass. I have no idea why I said that. None. I have the best baby in the WORLD.
post #154 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
I said something horrible and dumb about my own DS this past weekend. Still no idea why I said it.

We were at a store and I was letting him wander around a little. He had been in the car for a long time and likes to walk in circles, KWIM?

So he was wandering near the check out line, just chatting and babbling away, smiling and walking in his little circles, and a real nice woman in line said, "Gee, I wish I could buy one of THOSE" meaning my son because he was being so cute. It wasn't creepy.... it was nice.

And my response?!?!? "Sure, you can have him. 50 cents. No wait, a quarter."


She looked kind of horrified and said "Oh, nooooo, of course not!" and I felt like such an ass. I have no idea why I said that. None. I have the best baby in the WORLD.
You were just joking along with her. Anyone else would have laughed about how silly it was, how the best "stuff" in life can't be bought, etc etc., which is what I got from your comment.
post #155 of 201
I woulda seen what you meant. Some days kids are overwelming and a lot of work, then you go to the store and everyone thinks they are the sweetest ever, which makes you think THEY think you have it easy at home all the time. Saying that you'd sell him jokes that sometimes he's a real handful! Obviously no one would give their kid away!!!
(On a totally diff note, why does your status thingy under your name say "banned trying to get banned."? Sorry, I'm kinda new still.)
post #156 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
But that is confusing!
We'd think cows would nurse their calves,
and most people don't know that that's not usually allowed for long ( )

It seems to me that he meant milk from his mother, right?

I took it to mean milk that came from his own udder (which is impossible, but the general public seems to think any cow=milk).
post #157 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
(On a totally diff note, why does your status thingy under your name say "banned trying to get banned."? Sorry, I'm kinda new still.)
Every year on April Fools Day the MDC mods play little tricks, and this year you could click on a button to ban another member and anyone who did that ended up banning themselves! For 24 hours! And the thing was, I was only going to try and ban myself just to see what the joke was. So I ended up getting banned trying to get banned. Yes, it's confusing.

And thanks for the kind words. It was just kind of shocking to read all of these not-so-nice things other people had said about their kids, and realize that I said something similar about my own!!!

I really need to be more careful now that he is starting to understand more.
post #158 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
Every year on April Fools Day the MDC mods play little tricks, and this year you could click on a button to ban another member and anyone who did that ended up banning themselves! For 24 hours! And the thing was, I was only going to try and ban myself just to see what the joke was. So I ended up getting banned trying to get banned. Yes, it's confusing.

And thanks for the kind words. It was just kind of shocking to read all of these not-so-nice things other people had said about their kids, and realize that I said something similar about my own!!!

I really need to be more careful now that he is starting to understand more.
LOL thats hilarious about the banning.
But yea I say the dumbest things sometimes. I have a very strange sense of humor that I share with like.. 2 or 3 friends. Everyone else just thinks I'm rediculous.
Oh I have a good one. We have a running joke that if someone says they had something... like say.. Someone drives by in a farari. I could say "I had a farari once... " and usually someone else would say "... but then I ate it." I forget how that started but whatever.
Sometimes we mix it up and say variations like "you" ate it... etc..
One time I was at a 7/11 getting a slurpie and there were no more napkins or something. The cashier (who was quite overweight) mentioned something about it to me... And without thinking I said "did you eat them?"
Pretty sure she was mortified.
post #159 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
LOL thats hilarious about the banning.
But yea I say the dumbest things sometimes. I have a very strange sense of humor that I share with like.. 2 or 3 friends. Everyone else just thinks I'm rediculous.
Oh I have a good one. We have a running joke that if someone says they had something... like say.. Someone drives by in a farari. I could say "I had a farari once... " and usually someone else would say "... but then I ate it." I forget how that started but whatever.
Sometimes we mix it up and say variations like "you" ate it... etc..
One time I was at a 7/11 getting a slurpie and there were no more napkins or something. The cashier (who was quite overweight) mentioned something about it to me... And without thinking I said "did you eat them?"
Pretty sure she was mortified.


The other morning started out kinda rough, and I said to my DS's, "boy, if this is the way you two are going to be all day, I'm sending you both off to Kindergarten!" My DS1 said, "But Momma, I do not WANT to go to kindergarten! I will be LONELY!"

I reasured him that I had no plans to send him anywhere, and that it was just a stupid joke mommy made.
post #160 of 201
Ugh I have another one. (proof of how dumb I am)

I was in a wedding and stayed wit SILfor a few days. Before this, I had only met her and her family once or twice. I forget exactly how the topic came up... Her DD was 10 years old and we started talking about my wedding rings, I think. I made a joke about "that's the reason you get married, so the man buys you a nice ring" ... or something stupid like that.
I guess with adults it would have been a perfectly fine joke, but a 10 year old might not understand it's a joke... anyways. SIL was made it clear immediately that it wasn't funny. I felt like crap.
I talked to her DD later that day and tried to clarify that I was kidding, but that it wasn't funny, and it definately isn't the reason we get married.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV