or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV - Page 5

post #81 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
When my DS was about 1 my GMIL argued with me for about 10 minutes because she was looking at clothes for him for his 1st birthday, she asked what size he wore I said 18 or 24 months (he was a chunker). She told me that's not possible, he's a year old he HAS to wear 12 months, 18 months just WILL NOT fit until 18 months no matter what size the kid is.
Whatever... My DS1 was wearing 12 months at 8 months. How does she explain what they're already wearing? It shrank?
post #82 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
When my DS was about 1 my GMIL argued with me for about 10 minutes because she was looking at clothes for him for his 1st birthday, she asked what size he wore I said 18 or 24 months (he was a chunker). She told me that's not possible, he's a year old he HAS to wear 12 months, 18 months just WILL NOT fit until 18 months no matter what size the kid is.

So for his bday she bought him a ton of 12 months clothes...and nothing fit...
Sounds like when my MIL buys undies for my almost 7 year old DD. She buys 6's because DD is 6, but she has a size 4 butt. She did the same thing to ds1 at the same age.
post #83 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
When my DS was about 1 my GMIL argued with me for about 10 minutes because she was looking at clothes for him for his 1st birthday, she asked what size he wore I said 18 or 24 months (he was a chunker). She told me that's not possible, he's a year old he HAS to wear 12 months, 18 months just WILL NOT fit until 18 months no matter what size the kid is.

So for his bday she bought him a ton of 12 months clothes...and nothing fit...
When Lincoln was a few months old a friend bought him a bunch of clothes - in NEWBORN sizes! They were adorable, but he was already in 3-6month clothes and there was NO WAY I would have even gotten his leg in them! It was hilarious, and she learned that baby clothes have sizes just like adult clothes!
post #84 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Whatever... My DS1 was wearing 12 months at 8 months. How does she explain what they're already wearing? It shrank?
........... and my 17mo is STILL fitting into his 9-12mo clothes.
post #85 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Whatever... My DS1 was wearing 12 months at 8 months. How does she explain what they're already wearing? It shrank?
I don't know...I guess no one told James he couldn't POSSIBLY be 21lbs at 9 months old because it is NOT allowed that he be large enough to wear 12 month clothes, he HAS to wear 9-12 months?

What gets me is okay, if YOU are going to tell me what MY child is wearing then why even bother wasting my time calling me and asking me what size he wears?

Of course DD was 'average' sized...but for her first birthday and Christmas I got all 24 month size...they finally fit her now a year later.
post #86 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
When my DS was about 1 my GMIL argued with me for about 10 minutes because she was looking at clothes for him for his 1st birthday, she asked what size he wore I said 18 or 24 months (he was a chunker). She told me that's not possible, he's a year old he HAS to wear 12 months, 18 months just WILL NOT fit until 18 months no matter what size the kid is.

So for his bday she bought him a ton of 12 months clothes...and nothing fit...
So what should I tell my 7 week old who is wearing mostly 6 month clothes? "Stop growing right now, the baby sizing fairy says you are too big!"


I have one, I'm sure it's been said already, but when I wear my baby in my Baby K'Tan or Moby, people will say "I wish they had those when my baby was little". They didn't have fabric back then? And what about the African women who have been doing this for hundreds of years? I know what they MEAN is that they wish they knew about baby carriers, but oh well

On a positive note, I wore DS in the mall today, I had 4 or 5 people ask me about it, and say how comfy he looked and how convenient it must be. One young couple was CARRYING their 4-week-old baby around the mall and I actually walked up and said they needed one, and they completely agreed with me, so I gave them the name of the website for the k'tan
post #87 of 201
Thread Starter 
Do they make size 63 in anything? (or however old your mom/gmil is) Just buy an actual tent and say it's a dress.
post #88 of 201
My DS is the exact opposite. He's SO short and skinny (below the 5th) that most of his 2T pants fit his belly and they're only a little bit short. The shorts work just fine. And he's about to turn FIVE. Mostly he wears 3T, but a lot of the pants just fall right off his skinny little butt. And yet for the past year, people have been giving us 4T clothes because he's four. The shirts work just fine, but the pants have been sitting in a drawer being useless. Nobody bothers to ask what he wears, they just assume that since he's four, he must be wearing 4T. Maybe when he's six, the 4T pants will fit!
post #89 of 201
At my BFFs baby shower today, she was opening gifts, and among the several things I got her were The Baby Book and The Breastfeeding Book by Dr Sears. We share similar values on kids, and she's already in possession of my copy of The Pregnancy Book and her DH has spent time thumbing through my copy of The Breastfeeding Book.

Her mom comments, "Don't worry, it just comes naturally."

This just makes me FUME. She made this comment to my friend when I was seeing a LC (or 3), "Just stick the baby on, she'll get what she needs." I asked, "Did you mention to your mom that the baby is doing deep tissue damage and may do permanent damage if I continue to nurse her?" "Uh, no, I forgot that part." Just because something is easy for ONE person doesn't mean it is easy for everyone. And my friend is very concerned for herself after witnessing our epic struggle. I hope she finds many reassuring answers in the book, which she was thrilled to get. (Take that friend's mom!)

In that same vein, in the comments for a blog (I believe about "banning the [formula] bags" in hospitals), someone commented in response to someone:

"If you can make any milk at all, you can make enough milk for your baby. Always."

I have never wanted to go primeval on anyone as much as that ignorant woman ever, ever. I don't even know who she is, but she thinks she knows everything when she obviously knows not very much at all. Way to totally invalidate any low-supply mom who crosses your path. You are why most mainstreamers think breastfeeding advocates are pushy, obnoxious and self-righteous.
post #90 of 201
Lol about all the clothes sizing. I didn't know babies were "supposed" to be a certain size. I better put my kid on a diet. He's too heavy!!

Also, I've found cloth diapers hold those "too big of pants" up pretty well! (If anyone's lookin for a quick fix)
post #91 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutritionistmom View Post
At the last Car Seat Clinic I was at another CPST approached me and said out of the blue, "Are you still feeding him?"
I must have stared at her dumbstuck, because she went on to clarify, "You know, the little one."
That's when I realized she meant BREASTfeeding.
why yes I am
What? They need to eat? drop:



Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post

I have one, I'm sure it's been said already, but when I wear my baby in my Baby K'Tan or Moby, people will say "I wish they had those when my baby was little". They didn't have fabric back then? And what about the African women who have been doing this for hundreds of years? I know what they MEAN is that they wish they knew about baby carriers, but oh well
I've gotten that a lot of time. I try really hard not to with them standing there.
post #92 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
Yeah! Why are you all up in his grill? He has things he wants to do without your constant hovering!
post #93 of 201
The absolute worst for me was when my (now ex) MIL came to visit after my second child was born. My firstborn was 2 and she told him "You can come live with me. They have a new baby and don't need you anymore." I tend to be extremely nonconfrontational but I told her (also in front of my child because I felt he needed to hear) that it was not true and she was NEVER to say such a thing to one of my children. She replied that he didn't understand what she was saying.
post #94 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by quester View Post
The absolute worst for me was when my (now ex) MIL came to visit after my second child was born. My firstborn was 2 and she told him "You can come live with me. They have a new baby and don't need you anymore." I tend to be extremely nonconfrontational but I told her (also in front of my child because I felt he needed to hear) that it was not true and she was NEVER to say such a thing to one of my children. She replied that he didn't understand what she was saying.
WHAT??!!! I would have been FURIOUS to say the LEAST!! Why not just talk about what a good big brother or something less hurtful? Jeez...just when I think people can't get any worse....
post #95 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
My DS is the exact opposite. He's SO short and skinny (below the 5th) that most of his 2T pants fit his belly and they're only a little bit short. The shorts work just fine. And he's about to turn FIVE. Mostly he wears 3T, but a lot of the pants just fall right off his skinny little butt. And yet for the past year, people have been giving us 4T clothes because he's four. The shirts work just fine, but the pants have been sitting in a drawer being useless. Nobody bothers to ask what he wears, they just assume that since he's four, he must be wearing 4T. Maybe when he's six, the 4T pants will fit!
Ah... I can help you with this. My kids all had skinny little butts as toddlers and preschoolers.

Go to the little boys section of the stores rather than toddlers, and try out the 4 slim size pants... they're about the same length as a 3T, but have the waist/hip measurements of a 2-3 rather than a 4. Worked great on my kids.
post #96 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by quester View Post
The absolute worst for me was when my (now ex) MIL came to visit after my second child was born. My firstborn was 2 and she told him "You can come live with me. They have a new baby and don't need you anymore." I tend to be extremely nonconfrontational but I told her (also in front of my child because I felt he needed to hear) that it was not true and she was NEVER to say such a thing to one of my children. She replied that he didn't understand what she was saying.
My own mother did something very similar, except along the lines of "You're not a baby anymore, mommy has a new baby, so you shouldn't make mommy change your diapers anymore."

Besides the fact that 2.5 is still very much a baby in my book, mommy having a new baby has NOTHING to do with learning to use the potty.
post #97 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post

Her mom comments, "Don't worry, it just comes naturally."



In that same vein, in the comments for a blog (I believe about "banning the [formula] bags" in hospitals), someone commented in response to someone:

"If you can make any milk at all, you can make enough milk for your baby. Always."

I have never wanted to go primeval on anyone as much as that ignorant woman ever, ever. I don't even know who she is, but she thinks she knows everything when she obviously knows not very much at all. Way to totally invalidate any low-supply mom who crosses your path. You are why most mainstreamers think breastfeeding advocates are pushy, obnoxious and self-righteous.
Yeah, I'm one of the low-supply moms... do you know this woman's name? Or where she lives? I have a thing or two to say to her.
post #98 of 201
Why is everyone so shocked when I tell them my EBF DS is dairy sensitive?

"Yeah, we can't have dairy."
"But, isn't he breastfed?"

Is that a subtle jab at the size of my butt??
post #99 of 201
When DS2 was having some serious diaper rash issues in the very begining, someone (I wont say who) said maybe hes allergic to dairy. I said he wasn't getting any formula, only nursing (You have to understand that there was no way she meant the milk I Was drinking), and she says, NO, maybe hes allergic to YOUR milk, thats still dairy.

Um, Do I LOOK like a cow to you? I hadnt even done a ton of research oon BFing yet, was still going on instinct, and I was like ???????
post #100 of 201
:

Sort of a confused version of the truth-
naturally babies can react to foods mom is eating, but...

My guy got a horrible diaper rash whenever I ate even a bite of oatmeal/etc.
Now if he gets some accidentally, the rash happens on his face...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV