or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Chicken pox in dd's school, she *may* have it, should I send her in the am? what about ToT?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicken pox in dd's school, she *may* have it, should I send her in the am? what about ToT? - Page 4

post #61 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
OP here

I honestly didn't think this topic would make me seem so.....horrible.

My daughter's school has had chicken pox since the beginning of September. No parents were notified until this week, when 10 kids were sick with it. So.....children have been exposed to it for two months without any knowledge of it. Should all the students stay home? It takes 10-14 after exposure to develop spots....there could be many more students (and they are getting more calls at the school) over the weekend. Other schools have it. Social groups have it going around.

Would other expect that I keep my other daughter home? Assuming since she and her sister share everything, even drink out of the same cup sometimes...that in about two weeks she could get it.

I guess I never thought that if someone is at a very high risk of catching something that is outside, probably around 8 feet away from their door, not touching anything of theirs, that prehaps they would be too frail or ill to answer the door. And I worked in a hospital while pregnant.....there are alot of things going around and
Again, just because "its out there," doesn't mean its okay to *knowingly* go around with it, KWIM? That's like saying that because the geese poop all over the public park its okay to watch your dog do it too and not clean up afterwards.

You're right, seriously immunocompromised people probably shouldn't be opening the door to hordes of little germ vectors... I mean kids. But the other half of that social contract is simply that if you KNOW you or your child has a communicable disease, you don't take them out where they could cough, sneeze, or otherwise leave their germs all over the communal candy bowl that dozens of other kids will also be contacting.
post #62 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
But the other half of that social contract is simply that if you KNOW you or your child has a communicable disease, you don't take them out where they could cough, sneeze, or otherwise leave their germs all over the communal candy bowl that dozens of other kids will also be contacting.
But would if she doesn't go anywhere near the door? What if she doesn't touch anything?

Should her sister not go out either? Assume she will have it in a week or two....

Right now, she still only has two spots and no fever. I am not positive that this is the chicken pox....prehaps if she has more tomorrow I will have to think of other plans....
post #63 of 156
What about all the other groups of kids you will run into along the way?
post #64 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
That's all the more reason to avoid *knowingly* doing it, KWIM?
umm...no, I don't know what you mean. That makes no sense to me at all.

Quote:
Why does that make it okay to go around with a child you KNOW is sick and shedding germs? I don't get that?
I never said it did.

Quote:
That's like saying "Well, its okay for me to walk around in this Klan hood, because there are all kinds of people who are *closet* racists, and you don't even know they're there!" Or "Lots of people drive after having two or three drinks, when they really shouldn't -- so its okay for ME to have four or five!!"
I don't actually see either of these as analogous to the OP, but that's a side issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
All the more reason to do what's right when you know you might be infectious.
Why is it "all the more reason"? I'm not following this at all. Because people could easily be unknowingly exposed to a disease, that's more reason not do so knowingly? I can't even begin to follow this logic.

Quote:
Whether it's somebody with a compromised immune system, or a child whose parents cannot afford to stay home for 3 weeks, or just someone who doesn't want to be sick, I think we have a social obligation to keep kids we suspect are highly contagious away from large congregations of people.
Well, honestly, if the parents honestly can't afford to stay home for 3 weeks (who really can?), they probably won't. So, they'll send their kid to school and just not mention it for as long as they can.

Quote:
It's not mean, it's not judgmental, it's absolute common sense and courtesy, and I'm stunned anyone is arguing the contrary.
I'm not sure who was actually arguing it, actually. I'm just astounded at the "how can you be such a selfish, evil person?" vibe in some of these posts. You may see this as "common sense and courtesy", but it's not something I've come across much irl. The vast majority of people I've ever met see it the same way I do - getting sick is part of life, and it sucks, and so what? We're going to get sick. As most of us see it that way from our side, we tend to act the same way on the other side...and the vast majority of people we know are perfectly okay with that. It's not so much about being selfish as simply having a completely different world view.
post #65 of 156
Thread Starter 
I am trying to get a handle on what people think is doing the right thing.

Should all the siblings of the infected students at my daughter's school be told to stay home? Because they are most likely to get chicken pox (they are alot closer than 8 feet away outdoors to their siblings right?)

Should my other daughter not go to her class tomorrow, assuming that she will get it and she can pass it along before the spots come out?

I will wait for feedback and then I am going to post an idea I have.

I am not trying to be a horrible person I just want to see what people think.

Also....I read someone's reply about their loved one have treatment for breast cancer. In all honesty, with H1N1, chicken pox, fifth disease, and hand foot and mouth going around (yup that is the list at my daughters school) if I were her I would not risk it.....I wouldn't hand out candy. When my FIL had cancer we limited restaurant visits etc because of that. And when visiting....really good hand washing.
post #66 of 156
OP, everyone keeps telling you don't do it, and you keep saying "but... but...". If you want to take her out, then do it. Your continued unacceptance of the advice you've asked for suggests you're just looking for validation of a decision you've already made. Is there really anything else to be said here?
post #67 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
What about all the other groups of kids you will run into along the way?
There aren't very many kids....all of them go to dd's school. SO they have already been exposed. And we wouldn't touch them.
post #68 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
OP, everyone keeps telling you don't do it, and you keep saying "but... but...". If you want to take her out, then do it. Your continued unacceptance of the advice you've asked for suggests you're just looking for validation of a decision you've already made. Is there really anything else to be said here?
All of the OP's "buts" were questions. She's trying to find out if there's a safe way to do this. If people don't feel there is one, that's fine. But, trying to find a way to do it isn't the same thing as "I'm going to do it, no matter what".

She's also asked some good questions about her other child, and infected siblings.
post #69 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
.


I'm not sure who was actually arguing it, actually. I'm just astounded at the "how can you be such a selfish, evil person?" vibe in some of these posts. You may see this as "common sense and courtesy", but it's not something I've come across much irl. The vast majority of people I've ever met see it the same way I do - getting sick is part of life, and it sucks, and so what? We're going to get sick. As most of us see it that way from our side, we tend to act the same way on the other side...and the vast majority of people we know are perfectly okay with that. It's not so much about being selfish as simply having a completely different world view.

I guess that's how I see it. My daughter's classmates have had lice, fifth's disease, hand, foot and mouth disease and chicken pox so far this year and the same last thing last year. I chalk it up to being a kid in school. I can't/don't/won't bubble wrap my children in fear of childhood illnesses.
post #70 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
When was this? I grew up before MMR (I've had both measles and mumps...not rubella). When those diseases were in circulation, people stayed home, sure. It wasn't because they were infectious, though. People didn't even talk about that side of it much. They stayed home because they were sick. When I had mumps, I spent the entire day on the couch, dozing off regularly. Going to school wasn't an option. And, for all everybody stayed home, about 40% of my class was out sick with measles in 1984, so it still manages to circulate very thoroughly (when you figure that measles had also gone around when I was little, so some of us, including me, were already immune for the 10th grade epidemic).

I still have to remind myself of threads like this on a regular basis, so I don't do any of these things. It would never have occurred to me to keep a sick kid home on Hallowe'en, unless they were too sick to ToT. I stop and think about these threads every time my children are sick. It's still a strange mindset to me, but I am following it.
I was born in the early 70's,and I'm almost positive I had at least one mmr shot. I'd have to check my babybook to know for sure. I never hd measles,I know that.

I was definitely before the cp vaccine,and yeah,you stayed home,or only went round people who already had or wanted to get chicken pox.

When my dr. had chicken pox,I took her in as soon as i suspected it. Dr. said it wasn't,(and there was no known exposure). I asked if it was ok for her to go to her swimming lesson the next day. He assured me it was. Wthin two day,more spots,and the dr.finaly said yeah,it's cp. I had to call and explain tohtelady organizing the swimming lessons,so she could notify parents. I just fet sick,as there was a pregnant mom there,and I didnt know her status. (she as fine,btw)

I took her to -day party after her spots crusted over or whatever,and te na couple day later,she had a bunch of new ones. I wouldnot haetken her if I knew that could happen. I also knew who would be at the party,so wasn't as worried,though.

yeah,it sucked staying home. She did miss one wimming lesson,and I'm a single mom.so it made it difficult to get groceries and stuff.

I missed work today,which I seriously can't afford to,because my daughter threw up during the night.
post #71 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
There aren't very many kids....all of them go to dd's school. SO they have already been exposed. And we wouldn't touch them.
The touching part isn't really relevant, though - chickenpox is also airborne.
post #72 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
All of the OP's "buts" were questions. She's trying to find out if there's a safe way to do this. If people don't feel there is one, that's fine. But, trying to find a way to do it isn't the same thing as "I'm going to do it, no matter what".

She's also asked some good questions about her other child, and infected siblings.


Yes..I have asked questions about her sibling....I am truly interested to hear what people have to say about her. I am assuming that she will eventually get it too. Do I keep her in for weeks waiting?

No...I don't want to be a jerk. Really.

And....if my neighbours children are in the same school, with the same classmates, playing with the same toys, would they not have already been exposed? There is one neighbour who really likes my girls, but her girls are in highschool....and she usually buys something for the girls. Because her children don't go to the infected school I was going to call her and ask if we could stop by (if everyone has had it) and of course not come in to her house or touch anything to pick up our treat (yes...I DO KNOW SHE HAS SOMETHING....we walk her dog and she really likes the girls....)
post #73 of 156
Then do it, and be totally at ease with your decision to potentially expose the general public to your child's disease. I think it's wrong. You asked what everyone thought. We answered. We gave personal accounts of keeping kids home, or being kept home as kids. You continue to think it's fine and if anyone gets it it's their fault for daring to open their door. I don't think you are evil, but I think you are absolutely wrong.
post #74 of 156
Thread Starter 
t
What is everyone's opinion on bringing her sister out? I haven't seen ANY replies to my sibling questions.....please.
post #75 of 156
Take her to my house.. I'd love my kids to get CP (since they're not vaccinated).
post #76 of 156
Thread Starter 
And to those that asked if I can get her into the doctor (I am in the north so it takes a while) I could call on Monday and see......but if she is covered by then I won't bother.....


What if I called the neighbours (who's children all go to school with the other kids that have got the chicken pox already) and ask them if their kids have been infected before or if they are okay with us coming over? Would that be okay?
post #77 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
Take her to my house.. I'd love my kids to get CP (since they're not vaccinated).
I would love too....lol. I don't know anyone around here looking for the chicken pox though...darn it.

Funny thing more than half the sicks that have got the chicken pox at school have been vaccinated.......
post #78 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygee View Post
Then do it, and be totally at ease with your decision to potentially expose the general public to your child's disease. I think it's wrong. You asked what everyone thought. We answered. We gave personal accounts of keeping kids home, or being kept home as kids. You continue to think it's fine and if anyone gets it it's their fault for daring to open their door. I don't think you are evil, but I think you are absolutely wrong.
Do you think I should keep her sister home too?
post #79 of 156
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
The touching part isn't really relevant, though - chickenpox is also airborne.

So...if it is going around my city....it could be at the grocery store, the school, or church etc. Is it possible that direct contact could make it more possible to catch than quite distant contact.
post #80 of 156
Thread Starter 
My BIL is on his way over....he and my SIL are ttc so I told him that dd *may* have chicken pox just incase he didn't want to come in the house....he said he is not at all concerned....should I have told him he can't come in at all?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Chicken pox in dd's school, she *may* have it, should I send her in the am? what about ToT?