Hi, I'm in the same boat as all the mamas on here. My DD (24mo) has white discoloring on her four top front teeth. I thought it was plaque buildup, but it turns out it is decalcification, which, I guess is a precursor to cavities...
So, I took her to see a holistic dentist today and I just thought I'd spell out his recommendations:
- Diet: Follow something similar to the Weston A Price diet.
- Fermented CLO and x-factor butter. (Specifically Vits D3 and K2)
-Completely cut out bananas and grapes (these are apparently the worst fruits for teeth), as well as all dried fruits.
- For fruit, stick to pears, green apples, kiwi fruit, and any kind of berry.
- If little to no greens are consumed, use Nanogreens or any type of greens powder mixed with pear juice and water.
- No refined sugar or fruit juices, whatsoever
- Dental Hygiene
- Brush and floss at least twice a day
- M I Paste coating the teeth at bedtime. (I'm not sure how this is supposed to work with night nursing. DD only gets about 3-4 hours at the beginning of the night without nursing)
- Xylitol wipes used after meals
We are supposed to go back in 8 months and he expects to see a lot of progress in the restoration of her teeth.
I am not surprised that the condition of her teeth is due to under/malnutrition and lack of hygiene. She still nurses like a fiend and barely eats anything at 2 yrs old, and when she does eat, she is VERY picky. Her hair and nails are relatively brittle as well. She also HATES getting her teeth brushed and holds her top lip over her top teeth so I can't get to them. I know now that this is a battle that I will have to insist on winning
So, this is a big wake-up call for all of us mamas who have kids with bad teeth. I feel like a failure in the way of nutrition and health for my DD. I'm hoping with the above recommendations, we can all get on track to healthy teeth.