or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › November Chat! (no, I'm not creative)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

November Chat! (no, I'm not creative) - Page 5

post #81 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post
Ha, I am from here and I think they are gross! They used them in CCD to teach us communion.
Mmmm... especially the chocolate ones, which you can get by themselves. The other flavors (like the white and the yellow, ick).

Quote:
I'm pretty nervous about an xcon issue while I am down here. I found a natural grocery with a juice bar, and got all my supplies I would usually have at home. Their salad bar had a bunch of sprouted items, all GFCFSF etc salad dressings, EVERYTHING LABELED CLEARLY, their prepared foods are all NT based, they carried so much great stuff, ....I was literally in tears as I made my salad, that there was a place like that, perfect for me, for any of us. Called DH and my mom on the way back bc I was just so happy I couldn't contain myself. I seriously haven't been that happy in a while. Wow, life has changed. Sipping my kale, chard, ginger juice with a giant grin on my face
I've had good luck with WF while traveling.
post #82 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I have to play devil's advocate here.
It's easy for us to say "take it out longer" as we sit in our own positions in life with options of dozens of foods to eat but remember that cs has TEN foods to choose from on any given day. All but 2 being veggies. And I believe there have been issues with non-organic produce then... I can't imagine that grocery bill (not to mention the boredom with food).
I can't even imagine how hungry I'd be with just one (very expensive) protein and one "grain", even before removing the grain... Then take that grain away?
I believe cs is looking for an affordable pure bw so she can rule out the gluten issue.
Of course, I may have misunderstood things.
So sorry, CS... I had no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post
BRILLIANT DH! One of my worst offenses used to be seeing DH's silence or lack of interest or lack of affection as not caring, not being on the same page, or even not loving me enough. Its not that at all, its exactly what you said, they don't know how to express their feelings of inadequacy when it comes to fixing their sick kids.

Yay for sleep, that is great!

You guys want a good laugh? I am in atlanta for work this week, flew down
That would DEFINITELY be from more than 30min with my mom!last night. Got here to the office this morning and realized the meeting doesn't start until tomorrow. I AM SUCH AN IDIOT. I left my baby for an extra day for no goddam good reason. I feel like a schmuck, but I can't bring myself to tell DH.
Oh and I am calling it....EGGS PASS! We are on to zucchini.
Yes, and they see us struggling and wish they could be our heroes, but since they don't know how to, they end up feeling defeated. DH says it's incredibly frustrating.

maybe your forgetfulness was subconscious. You prob need the day off! Put your feet up, relax. you deserve it!

You got eggs back! That's so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, there are lots of reasons why I'm fighting the buckwheat theory... one, we've gotten to baseline WITH buckwheat. two, the poops seem to change (better/worse) with no changes in our buckwheat consumption. three, we've gone off it for a couple weeks (after eating it daily- and a LOT of it) and reintroduced without one tiny symptom. Everything else that I've pulled and reintroduced has had very obvious symptoms. and I guess four.... what JR says below.
Yeah... even with rice back, I hate to lose buckwheat. I really don't llike rice.
Sorry, had no idea that you were only eating 10 foods. Now that I think about it, I remember skimming something about your food limits in the October thread. But I was so tired and bleary eyed in October and I didn't retain much of what I read. You are an incredible mama to be doing what you are doing for your lo! I hope you figure out what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I am planning on trialing some rutabaga again, which I used to mash up with carrots... Last time we ate it, DD's lips swelled up. But I'm thinking it was a xcon issue... no clue what. I just find it hard to believe she is ana to rutabaga. So we'll be trying one that I grew myself (still sitting in the garden, waiting to be picked), and will have the benadryl and epi close by.
Rutabaga... is that turnip? We had turnip last week and MY lips swelled up. I'm pretty sure there were no xcon... We also have sals issues here, and buckwheat causes reflux/ digestion problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
No time to read, sorry!! CS, I have a link that had a clue that might be good for you??

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...reference.aspx

Says that reactions to buckwheat might be because buckwheat is high in polyphenols (get cleared through the same pathways as salicylates) and high in oxalates. The phenols thing got my attention - maybe your DD is just having a bit of a bucket reaction to sals/phenols (it would make sense that the egg trial caused some issues for that detox pathway). If so, then maybe mag/mo/B6 would get you back buckwheat, more sals, and maybe even eggs... Anyhow, I'd never heard about buckwheat and phenols, but it explains why buckwheat wasn't a great grain for us (it was part of my TED, and in those quantities, DS reacted to it with a sals type reaction).

For the histamine people, I've been reading that there are two pathways to turn off histamines - methylation, which is why we've been supping methyl b12. But apparently, for ingested histamines, there is an intestinal enzyme called diamine oxidase that breaks down histamines - and vite C and B6 can help support that enzyme. So we're cranking up those two here (I think DS is both sals and histamine sensitive, which I can see now that he is less reactive to sals...). For anyone dealing with stuffy nose/congestion type reactions, something to consider. Diarrhea is also a possible symptom, as are migraines.

ETA: the linkie above says most gluten free flours contain sulfites??? ARGH. How would we figure out which ones do? Not what my sals sensitive guy needs.

ETA more: Called Bob's Red Mill. Apparently the flours that are sometimes a problem for sulfites are the starches (potato, tapioca, arrowroot). Theirs are sulfite free.
Quoting this so that I can find it more easily in the future. This is very informative.... and has helped me make sense of some stuff I am going through with DS (phenols) and myself (histamine).

I also love Bobs Red Mill!!!

hugs to Wugmama and JR. I hope things get better soon for you both.
post #83 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I am planning on trialing some rutabaga again, which I used to mash up with carrots... Last time we ate it, DD's lips swelled up. But I'm thinking it was a xcon issue... no clue what. I just find it hard to believe she is ana to rutabaga. So we'll be trying one that I grew myself (still sitting in the garden, waiting to be picked), and will have the benadryl and epi close by.
I think that rutabaga from the store is usually waxed.
post #84 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
From what I've read, yeah, screaming could totally be a reaction. There's a failsafe DVD that I haven't seen, but might be interesting in terms of seeing some examples of sals reactions.

Mamafish might be on to something with the B6 - have you ever tried supping it? The sulfoxidation enzyme (that can get blocked by high Mo) also uses B6. And B6 is one of the water soluble vitamins that can create more of a long term deficiency. (Rather than a day to day deficiency). I wonder if you're building up Mo cause you can't use it, and B6 might help use it up?

Mamafish, vit C can also inactivate histamine directly. I hadn't seen that other pathway, something to look into!

Our washer is drunk. It keeps turning on and off. Last night, it took ALL NIGHT LONG to run one load
There's a DVD?! I could totally do a DVD... I hate these "off" periods for me. I go from reading 3 books a week, to barely being able to read an article in a magazine. My brain just cannot process anything. It's really frustrating.

I have the Thorne multi, which has the b's... and I've done a b12 and the 5-mthfr supp in the past. I never could tell a difference from any supps. I've never tried a straight b6 though. Maybe I should put that on my list to try next. She really is crazy hyper today. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to noise.... who knows.
post #85 of 1157
oops... missed the last page (again) before I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
Rutabaga... is that turnip? We had turnip last week and MY lips swelled up. I'm pretty sure there were no xcon... We also have sals issues here, and buckwheat causes reflux/ digestion problems.
It's a cross between a turnip and.... something? That's no good- makes me nervous to try this again. But she had eaten it multiple times before with absolutely no symptoms (including the day before the face swelling incident.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I think that rutabaga from the store is usually waxed.
It was organic... although I know that doesn't always matter. I figured it was probably washed with something, because they come with the ends cut off (and I would assume those would turn color if they weren't washed with something?) So I'm hoping my homegrown variety will fare better.

Ok, it's definitely not me... this kid is RUNNING IN CIRCLES. Yelling. aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

So... should I keep the buckwheat in and start a b6 supp for both of us, and see what happens? grr.. for all I know this could even be a delayed fail on the rice trial (we're still eating it every day.)
post #86 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
So, would a sals/phenols reaction include lots of screaming? Not like crying/angry screaming... like this kid cannot control the frickin volume of her voice and feels the need to scream everything repeatedly in a super, high-pitched tone today (and yesterday.) It's starting to wear on my nerves...I suppose that's probably just a normal 2yo thing though, huh? But she does have a few tiny bumps on her face, and she's starting to say "itchy" today. So perhaps the buckwheat is failing after all.

Our Mo was crazy high, so I'm definitely not supping that. But for mag and b6, I don't even know how to find a safe one. Any recs that aren't made of corn?
YES!!!! I know that kid, LOL... It's like being the mama of a baby hawk or something, it's crazy. Itchy is also sals/histamines for us. The screaming can also be low mag - which for us isn't low mag intake, it's low mag utilization. That's a problem for people with high antimony.

The solution is.... B6. Lots of it, and in the active P5P form, ideally. I give DS 20mg a day (split into 4 doses) of B6. It doesn't taste good, so first i would try taking big doses yourself. I was doing perque vites for a while, and I needed 300mg of b6 (240mg regular form, 60mg active form, split into 3 doses through the day) to get enough into DS nursing. I use this one, Thorne also has one. I don't know about corn, sorry - we don't react to trace corn.

And I *think* too high Mo can also be an issue - maybe your bodies are dumping Mo into your hair because you're missing the B6 that most of these reactions need as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
FMamafish might be on to something with the B6 - have you ever tried supping it? The sulfoxidation enzyme (that can get blocked by high Mo) also uses B6. And B6 is one of the water soluble vitamins that can create more of a long term deficiency. (Rather than a day to day deficiency). I wonder if you're building up Mo cause you can't use it, and B6 might help use it up?

Mamafish, vit C can also inactivate histamine directly. I hadn't seen that other pathway, something to look into!
(
OK, that's a better explanation of what I was trying to explain above, LOL. CS, do you have sleep issues as well? Low B6, poor mag utilization, and sals/phenols can also cause night waking...

Yeah, Shannon, I am pouring C into DS as we speak, LOL... It sounds like the other pathway should ideally be primary for ingested histamines (break them down before they get into the bloodstream). And it gives me something to push besides more methyl b12, LOL. I'm suspecting we had both sals & histamine sensitivity, and pulling the high sals foods gave enough breathing room that I'm just now figuring out the histamines issue.

Oh, also, sometimes gut bacteria create histamine from histadine, so thinking probiotics might help as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I have the Thorne multi, which has the b's... and I've done a b12 and the 5-mthfr supp in the past. I never could tell a difference from any supps. I've never tried a straight b6 though. Maybe I should put that on my list to try next. She really is crazy hyper today. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to noise.... who knows.
I'd try that - straight b6, and in bigger amounts than in the Thorne multi (work up to it, and space it out over the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ok, it's definitely not me... this kid is RUNNING IN CIRCLES. Yelling. aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

So... should I keep the buckwheat in and start a b6 supp for both of us, and see what happens? grr.. for all I know this could even be a delayed fail on the rice trial (we're still eating it every day.)
I have that kid. I know your pain. It can change within hours for us with the right amounts of b6 and mag (often just B6, so DS can use his mag better, which is calming). Can she do Epsom salts baths? Try some b6 for you, then about 3 hours later, an Epsom salts bath for her.

I'd keep the buckwheat in, but keep the volume low (so it's not a total phenols overdose). Try the b6 - it's cheap, and it should work reasonably fast if that's your issue. I'm wondering if some of your mysterious xcon reactions might actually be tipping a sals/phenols/histamines bucket every so often, depending on your DD's B6/mag status?
post #87 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
YES!!!! I know that kid, LOL... It's like being the mama of a baby hawk or something, it's crazy. Itchy is also sals/histamines for us. The screaming can also be low mag - which for us isn't low mag intake, it's low mag utilization. That's a problem for people with high antimony.

The solution is.... B6. Lots of it, and in the active P5P form, ideally. I give DS 20mg a day (split into 4 doses) of B6. It doesn't taste good, so first i would try taking big doses yourself. I was doing perque vites for a while, and I needed 300mg of b6 (240mg regular form, 60mg active form, split into 3 doses through the day) to get enough into DS nursing. I use this one, Thorne also has one. I don't know about corn, sorry - we don't react to trace corn.

And I *think* too high Mo can also be an issue - maybe your bodies are dumping Mo into your hair because you're missing the B6 that most of these reactions need as well.



OK, that's a better explanation of what I was trying to explain above, LOL. CS, do you have sleep issues as well? Low B6, poor mag utilization, and sals/phenols can also cause night waking...

I have that kid. I know your pain. It can change within hours for us with the right amounts of b6 and mag (often just B6, so DS can use his mag better, which is calming). Can she do Epsom salts baths? Try some b6 for you, then about 3 hours later, an Epsom salts bath for her.

I'd keep the buckwheat in, but keep the volume low (so it's not a total phenols overdose). Try the b6 - it's cheap, and it should work reasonably fast if that's your issue. I'm wondering if some of your mysterious xcon reactions might actually be tipping a sals/phenols/histamines bucket every so often, depending on your DD's B6/mag status?
Ugh. Why can't this just be simple, like "milk is bad," "rice is good," etc. I cannot fit food chemicals into my brain right now!!

We do epsom salt baths, whenever DP remembers (or whenever I do bathtime.) We've done them the past few nights, and I can't tell if they help at all or not.

DD has been sleeping pretty good actually- but I have been waking up a few times.
post #88 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
There's a DVD?! I could totally do a DVD... I hate these "off" periods for me. I go from reading 3 books a week, to barely being able to read an article in a magazine. My brain just cannot process anything. It's really frustrating.

I have the Thorne multi, which has the b's... and I've done a b12 and the 5-mthfr supp in the past. I never could tell a difference from any supps. I've never tried a straight b6 though. Maybe I should put that on my list to try next. She really is crazy hyper today. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to noise.... who knows.
Failsafe DVD. Hmm, Are there still country codes on those things? Will it work in the US?

When I did just B5/B6, it definitely changed something in me, but didn't make things better till I had the whole b complex as well.

Dd is running around the house, singing. She yelled at me for putting sheets on the bed, then yelled at me for folding dh's shirt. Now she's yelling at me for picking up rice puffs off the ground, cause she wants to eat them. By the handful. With about 5% making it into her mouth. And by now they're full of hair and fuzz and other old food from the floor. Yuck.
post #89 of 1157
some gummies thoughts:

As they're sitting out, they're getting gummier I'm slightly concerned about straight juice gummies, cause I don't know if the juice would go bad. And on that note, would it be possible to make probiotic gummies?
post #90 of 1157
All right ALL RIGHT!! It's SALS.
B6, Mag and what?
Is there a good way to get B6 into DS2 besides me taking it? (I'm willing to try it, I guess, but the one time I did try it, it made me car sick and I really don't deal with nausea well after the last pregnancy.)

And sorry if my post about how many foods CS has offended anyone (including you, CS I *do* know you can speak for yourself, really I do. ). I always need to think a little harder before replying to a post written by CS bc my knee jerk reaction is "take it out"... but really, at what point do you stop?
I hate to ask, bc I'm pretty sure I was around while you were doing it but HOW in the world did you get down to only 10 foods, CS? Did you start a TED and this is what you're UP to now? Or have you removed things one at a time?
post #91 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
All right ALL RIGHT!! It's SALS.
B6, Mag and what?
Is there a good way to get B6 into DS2 besides me taking it? (I'm willing to try it, I guess, but the one time I did try it, it made me car sick and I really don't deal with nausea well after the last pregnancy.)
M6, mag, Mo, and *sulfur foods* Don't you have issues with sulfur foods? Sulfur could be subbed with MSM, but then you have to worry about detox reactions.

What was your B6 dose? That's exactly the reaction I got when I had to drop from 200mg/day to 50mg/day. Now if I go much higher than that, I get sick.
post #92 of 1157
deleted
post #93 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
All right ALL RIGHT!! It's SALS.
B6, Mag and what?
Is there a good way to get B6 into DS2 besides me taking it? (I'm willing to try it, I guess, but the one time I did try it, it made me car sick and I really don't deal with nausea well after the last pregnancy.)

And sorry if my post about how many foods CS has offended anyone (including you, CS I *do* know you can speak for yourself, really I do. ). I always need to think a little harder before replying to a post written by CS bc my knee jerk reaction is "take it out"... but really, at what point do you stop?
I hate to ask, bc I'm pretty sure I was around while you were doing it but HOW in the world did you get down to only 10 foods, CS? Did you start a TED and this is what you're UP to now? Or have you removed things one at a time?
Do you have a toddler running in circles yelling too?

No offense taken- really, it didn't bother me in the least.

Um.... I was taking things out of my diet one at a time, initially (22 months ago! ), then tried a TED or 2 or 3, but she kept reacting to things in the TED (pears, rice, turkey, olive oil, etc, etc) so I just kept switching things out. Then we did the ELISA and I tried the rotation diet, but found that I didn't really have enough to rotate (but the rotation did help me figure out a couple other problem foods.) So somehow we ended up with these as our safe foods, and we've been trialing things since then. I thought we had added quite a few things back in, but now it seems like we're almost back down to the full TED list. sigh...
post #94 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
M6, mag, Mo, and *sulfur foods* Don't you have issues with sulfur foods? Sulfur could be subbed with MSM, but then you have to worry about detox reactions.

What was your B6 dose? That's exactly the reaction I got when I had to drop from 200mg/day to 50mg/day. Now if I go much higher than that, I get sick.
GAH.
I just took MSM out after months and months! I guess that explains D's recent insanity!
I can't remember what my dose was for B6. DS2's nursing (another recent constant ) so when he's done (if that ever happens), I'll go look at the bottle.

Most sulfur foods are goitrogens, from what I recall of the lists... DS2 reacts to watermelon (sals? ) and DS1 reacts to eggs.

DH has been asking me lately about DS2 "Have you been feeding him crack?!" bc he's just so wild.
post #95 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
GAH.
I just took MSM out after months and months! I guess that explains D's recent insanity!
I can't remember what my dose was for B6. DS2's nursing (another recent constant ) so when he's done (if that ever happens), I'll go look at the bottle.

Most sulfur foods are goitrogens, from what I recall of the lists... DS2 reacts to watermelon (sals? ) and DS1 reacts to eggs.

DH has been asking me lately about DS2 "Have you been feeding him crack?!" bc he's just so wild.
As in, you just restarted the MSM? See if an epsom salt bath calms him down?

I think dd's going to go through the ENTIRE bag of rice puffs just by strewing them all over the house. We have a policy where she gets to choose a special treat from the grocery store. She chooses things like mangos or fruit salad. I think rice puffs are about to make the special treat list. CS, if you can do rice... You have no idea what you're missing! You too could have a house covered in rice puffs
post #96 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
CS, if you can do rice... You have no idea what you're missing! You too could have a house covered in rice puffs


Hey- good snack idea though, since we seem to be tolerating rice ok (maybe..).
post #97 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
As in, you just restarted the MSM? See if an epsom salt bath calms him down?

I think dd's going to go through the ENTIRE bag of rice puffs just by strewing them all over the house. We have a policy where she gets to choose a special treat from the grocery store. She chooses things like mangos or fruit salad. I think rice puffs are about to make the special treat list. CS, if you can do rice... You have no idea what you're missing! You too could have a house covered in rice puffs
As in, I quit taking it Thursday... and just started taking it again NOW.
post #98 of 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ugh. Why can't this just be simple, like "milk is bad," "rice is good," etc. I cannot fit food chemicals into my brain right now!!

We do epsom salt baths, whenever DP remembers (or whenever I do bathtime.) We've done them the past few nights, and I can't tell if they help at all or not.
I hear you on the food chemicals. The upside is, it can get you back a LOT of foods if you can get a few nutrients figured out.

Epsom salt baths didn't do squat for us until we upped DS' b6. With high antimony, you have to get mag into the cells (which antimony prevents and b6 helps). So first the b6, then we noticed the Epsom salts baths made a difference (because they provide mag if you are short).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
All right ALL RIGHT!! It's SALS.
B6, Mag and what?
Is there a good way to get B6 into DS2 besides me taking it? (I'm willing to try it, I guess, but the one time I did try it, it made me car sick and I really don't deal with nausea well after the last pregnancy.)
Kitten capsules. Seriously, they're worth a try. b6 tastes nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
GAH.
I just took MSM out after months and months! I guess that explains D's recent insanity!
I can't remember what my dose was for B6. DS2's nursing (another recent constant ) so when he's done (if that ever happens), I'll go look at the bottle.

Most sulfur foods are goitrogens, from what I recall of the lists... DS2 reacts to watermelon (sals? ) and DS1 reacts to eggs.

DH has been asking me lately about DS2 "Have you been feeding him crack?!" bc he's just so wild.
I'd do the b6 first for a couple days, then the MSM - at least for us, until we had the b6 and mag in place, the sulfur foods just caused reactions.

I'm running a test - I just fed DS dried blueberries. Very high sals, but apparently also high in some natural antihistamines - so if it's histamines he reacts to now, but no longer sals (which I suspect, based on him not reacting to coconut oil or olive oil any longer), then blueberries *shouldn't* cause a reaction, and should give us a natural source of vitamin c, which we are desperately low in (kicked them all out because they're high sals). The big irony - the only food in the known universe *I* react to - yeah, blueberries. Instant puking.
post #99 of 1157
MSM is what I just took out and we were having WAY fewer reactions (assuming that's the deal here) before taking it out... interesting to me since i added it bc of something i read about it wrt plantar fascitis.
my dose of b6 was 50 mg twice per day... and i got sick day one from riding in a car then sick day 2 from turning too quickly.
ds2 just passed out after a 45 minute screaming session bc i wouldn't let him use the couch to climb our huge tv. and i keep falling asleep while trying to think about what im typing... but there's Scouts tonight so supper to make and if i don't wake him, ds2 will be up til midnight

link to kitten caps again?
post #100 of 1157
Thread Starter 
JR, how much B6 is in your prenatal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › November Chat! (no, I'm not creative)