or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › November Pagan Family Circle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

November Pagan Family Circle - Page 2

post #21 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Got a plecostamus (sp?) a while back to help with algae control. Woke up this morning to a dead sucker fish.
You have to feed them tablets or cucumber for them to live they rarely can get enough algea from a 10 gal to live, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I'm letting my boy watch Shaun the Sheep Little Sheep of Horrors. I feel guilty, but time to myself is priceless right now. (Besides, it is really funny)
You've peaked my interest. I've never heard of that. I may have to google it


Yes I am serious. We put our decorations up Nov 1st, else what's the point in all the fuss to have them up for 3 weeks? Why bother? That's DH and my opinion anyway. Tree is up and we have LOTs of plans on how to decorate it with crafty things the girls can do over the coming months. Our neighbors think we are nuts too we just got our outside lights up too Yeah, I'm wierd, and proud of it (Carol of the Bells playing in background)
post #22 of 641
Had an awesome Halloween last night....didnt really get a chance to do Samhain though. Being on a weekend was great...had friends and family over, a bonfire, etc.

(and this is OT and I hope its taken ok but goldfish and plecos both need way bigger than a 10g tank)
post #23 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

hehee I agree... I'd HATE my tree if I had to look at it from now till new years lol.
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where I can only deal with it for a couple of weeks. Maybe if I had a bigger space it would be different.
I still have no idea what I'm doing for a tree this year.
post #24 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
(and this is OT and I hope its taken ok but goldfish and plecos both need way bigger than a 10g tank)
You'd be surprised. It all depends on the care. I've seen a functioning saltwater reef tank in 10 gal, very awesome! I'd never be able to do that. They did however have larger tanks to move fish to as they grew
post #25 of 641
Wow! First day of November and already a page of posts?

Happy birthday to all the November mamas and kiddos (I'm a november birthday too!). Hope much fun is had by all.

Thanksgiving- normally we have people over and complete some sort of insane project. But this year we're going to my MIL's and I'll be playing food police to make sure Laia stays healthy.

We had a great Halloween/Samhain (pictures on flickr and facebook) but I nearly wrecked it by not checking the right candy. Who knew that the "fun sized" candy bars have gluten even when the same type of bar in the "regular size" doesn't? Sigh. I felt like such a heel having to take away half the candy in her already cleared for consumption pile because I'd checked the wrong size. However, dd1 and dd2 were thrilled with their "fairy gifts" this morning! (they get one piece of candy for each finger, the rest goes into a bowl. The bowl goes on the window sill along with a lighted candle... the candle tells the fairies that there is an offering. In the morning the candy is gone and a fairy gift is in the bowl instead. This year I made them itty bitty necklaces with "fairy coin" beads I had left over from a belly dance costume I never got around to making).

Right now the owls are hooting outside the window, the coyotes are pretty loud, and the moon is playing peekaboo with the clouds so it's looking very Samhain ish. Gotta run (dh has Tor but hasn't eaten dinner so I need to go be his hands) but wanted to sub and try to stay caught up!

Be nonny and November all!
post #26 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
You'd be surprised. It all depends on the care. I've seen a functioning saltwater reef tank in 10 gal, very awesome! I'd never be able to do that. They did however have larger tanks to move fish to as they grew
Right, but you cant have a fish that reaches 12" or more in a 10 gallon....especially ones that are as dirty as goldfish. It is fine for a fish to start in, but they grow big!

I have had some beautiful 10g setups in my time, and there were a lot of fish, but small fish. Goldfish should be in a 50g or bigger. you can defintely do a beatiful reef setup in one, but you wouldnt be putting really big fish in it.

sorry, back on topic
post #27 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
You've peaked my interest. I've never heard of that. I may have to google it
It is a claymation type video - by the same people who do Wallace and Gromit and also did the Chicken Run movie. We really like it because my 22 month old finds the Shaun stories and Wallace & Gromit stories funny but DH & I were fans long before we were parents.

DS absolutely loves Gromit - but he can't say "gr" sounds - do he calls him Dammit. Some days all dogs are Damits. Makes for some interesting looks from strangers. I think we should name a future dog "Gromit" - just pronounce it like my son: Sit Gromit. Come Gromit. No Gromit.
post #28 of 641
I just need to say it here so I can get my vent in the open and move on:

I HATE BRAXTON HICKS!!!!!
post #29 of 641
Ahh November. It's actually one of my more relaxed months, and I'm looking forward to the quiet time. I'm also looking forward to Thanksgiving at my cousin's home- we have a blast together. Weather for TOT last night was so good, no wind, and not cold. That's quite a change from the freezing norm. My girls are enjoying the TOT booty too

DH and I got up early and started working on the shower ( doing some grout work) and oh boy am I tired! We worked non-stop from 9am to 3pm. And I am grateful for the time change! It'll feel like sleeping in an extra hour tomorrow morning.

Still looking for a new 'puter. I'd really like to get a MacBook, but will probably go pc laptop to spend less.

The moon has been bright in the sky since this afternoon- which reminds me to check out mooncircles and that I get to strain my master tonic tomorrow
Have a good night ladies!
post #30 of 641
Just sent a chatty email about holiday logistics to a medium-distant family member that I would like to be closer to because I think we have a lot in common. I am pretty sure that it will be ignored, questions unanswered, like my messages to this person usually are -- and it is not like this relative doesn't maintain active communication with others in our family. Sigh. I think I need to take supplements or something to toughen up that ngas bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
hehe we have been married since 2001, so 8.5yrs now, and we STILL 'celebrate' our first meeting anniversary of May 26 That's the day he flew into SFO and I picked him up. We'd known each other for months and months online/by phone. But that is our 'anniversary'

hehee I agree... I'd HATE my tree if I had to look at it from now till new years lol.
Congrats on your anniversary, Cari! Next month, dh and I are celebrating 20 years from the day we met (in a scuzzy heavy metal bar with a really bad cover band)

I have a friend with a larger house than her family needs, the kind that has a parlor with glass doors off the front door where one can meet formal company. She keeps that room set up and decorated for Christmas all year round. It is funny to visit in the summer and see the Christmas room.

My favorite tree was a potted norfolk pine I had when I first had my own place. I put little lights and origami decorations on it every season and it was just about right. I'd love to have another one; we couldn't bring it when we moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We had a great Halloween/Samhain (pictures on flickr and facebook) but I nearly wrecked it by not checking the right candy. Who knew that the "fun sized" candy bars have gluten even when the same type of bar in the "regular size" doesn't?

However, dd1 and dd2 were thrilled with their "fairy gifts" this morning! (they get one piece of candy for each finger, the rest goes into a bowl. The bowl goes on the window sill along with a lighted candle... the candle tells the fairies that there is an offering. In the morning the candy is gone and a fairy gift is in the bowl instead. This year I made them itty bitty necklaces with "fairy coin" beads I had left over from a belly dance costume I never got around to making).

ll!
That is awful about the candy. Gluten-free is so hard.

We have a Halloween Witch that comes for leftover candy, usually the Sunday morning after Halloween, but this am was too soon, so she'll probably come later this week, just as soon as I get a chance to hit the store for a bauble or two.

I like the `1 piece of candy for each finger' rule. May borrow that. The necklaces sound lovely, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

I HATE BRAXTON HICKS!!!!!


Grouting is a yucky job saphire, and getting it done a real accomplishment!
post #31 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
You'd be surprised. It all depends on the care. I've seen a functioning saltwater reef tank in 10 gal, very awesome! I'd never be able to do that. They did however have larger tanks to move fish to as they grew
Yeah we've had 2 goldfish and a plecostamus in this tank before and they lasted 3 yrs. Before DH killed them. He swears it was an accident but I'm not entirely convinced! I hate goldfish, I really do. They're dirty and agressive. But the kids actually won them at a carnival this summer (can you believe they actually still DO that??) so what can you do? I would never wish death on them (we've lost one already a couple months ago), but should they pass away I'll be delighted to go back to angels and guppies! Or maybe I'll do a take off of Jack O'Neil from Stargate and instead of having a fishing pond with no fish, I'll have a fish tank with no fish. It'd be a LOT less maintenance!

Been just an odd day. DD was up from 5 -6:30 this morning wanting mommy. Not sure why. When DS got up around 7 I made DH pull wake up duty, I was wiped. Ended up with a migriane for a while, that was blessedly short lived. Working on the mountain of laundry my family seems to create and really can't tell you much of what happened today. Odd day. Been thinking about all the activities I want to do with the kids now that the season is coming up and I no longer need to focus on halloween. We'll see what I come up with. I'm really liking the Little House idea! I think the kids are old enough to enjoy it too.
post #32 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
You have to feed them tablets or cucumber for them to live they rarely can get enough algea from a 10 gal to live, sorry

Yes I am serious. We put our decorations up Nov 1st, else what's the point in all the fuss to have them up for 3 weeks? )
I did not know that about plecostami (is that the plural? lol)

I suppose I can see your point about stretching the season out a bit It IS a lot of work to put it up for just a few weeks. I may go ahead and start mine around the 25th that way I get about 5-6weeks worth of yuletide cheer. I do have a string of battery operated lights under my cottages and it's lurvely

It IS however, going to be odd... because I like to have our seasonal altar (ie summer ) but my xmas stuff will be taking over a little hehehe. Maybe instead of fake 'snow' (the blanket batting for crafting) I should buy some sand coloured & green felt & make a beach scene to put the cottages on? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Yeah we've had 2 goldfish and a plecostamus in this tank before and they lasted 3 yrs. Before DH killed them. He swears it was an accident but I'm not entirely convinced! I hate goldfish, I really do. They're dirty and agressive.
We had goldfish in a20gal tank once, with a plectostamus...they coexisted pretty well in there and didn't out grow it. That is until two psychotic goldfish bumped the cover off the tank and leaped out onto the floor during the night and died!! I guess one of them jumped & bumped it.. then they kept jumping. THEN the other 2 goldfish got friggin massive!!!! I rather think the littler fish like betas and such are far more entertaining
post #33 of 641
Happy November mamas!
post #34 of 641
Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday. I guess it's been all those years of family fighting, putting a huge meal together and having everyone done in 20 minutes. I think we will have a quiet meal with just the 5 of us. This month my babies turn 16yrs. old. I can't believe it. My DH also will celebrate 19 yrs married on the 30th. I can't believe that either! Boy time is going by so fast.
post #35 of 641
Not liking ds getting up at 5am. Darn time change. I wish they'd just leave time alone. And the fact that it's now dark at 5pm....So not cool.

Ds told me something really strange this morning. He had crawled into my bed and after awhile he told me that his legs were "stiff". I thought he was just goofing around but he just told me that he had tried to move his legs and couldn't for a moment.

He wasn't sleeping/dreaming. What is up with that?!
post #36 of 641
Oh my, I'm tired!

Poor DD2 is sick and the night was loooooong. We were at SIL's when it started and she puked and pee'd on the floor of the tiny bathroom before I could do anything. She was restless all night. And at one point I got scared cause her breathing was very noisy; I'm used to false croup but with the flu madness going around, my imagination just flew.

On the bright side, I had plenty of occasions to talk to the Moon.
She was gorgeous and it was comforting to be in her brightness. She was watching us from above, we were safe.

DH made coffee before going to work and I'll brew some Ginger/Ginseng tea to keep me awake. I need not to forget my vits. And I think Olive FE is appropriate.


We already had Thankgiving up here so I'm starting my Yule/Christmas planning and preparation. I'd love to have everything made/bought by the end of November and focus on food prep and family fun in December.

DD2's calling me... be back later.
post #37 of 641
I so agree about the time shift...Tor now wakes up at 4 instead of 5 for his "two hours of fuss". Ugh.

My brain is so mushy these past few days... I wonder if I'm fighting off a cold? I do have a cancker sore on my gum and I often get one right before a cold hits. It's been getting colder and colder, today there was a thick frost on the ground...
post #38 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I so agree about the time shift...Tor now wakes up at 4 instead of 5 for his "two hours of fuss". Ugh.

my 4 week old gets up at 2am for her "2 hours of fuss".

i am so tired today. i am getting good sleep when i do sleep, but i feel like i have a cold, DD2 has a stuffy nose that wakes her up choking around 5am. DD1 has a runny nose that makes her sneeze all the time and DSD just developed a sore throat. she says it feels better after ice cream. and they wonder why i out garlic in everything.

Yule: I cant start right away. i have to take down the Halloween decs and do thanksgiving stuff first. i like to start setting up for Yule the day after Thanksgiving. which is the 26th.
post #39 of 641
It had always been our tradition to start yule/christmas decorating on thanksgiving day. But dh and I were chatting the other day and he said that he loves to start listening to holiday music on November 1st and that he'd love to get started on decorations immediately.

OK. So I guess we'll start getting out the decorations this weekend and seeing what is what and what we'd like to make or buy to add to that.

Considering a live tree this year...really live, with a root ball for planting afterwards. Anyone done this before? We have plenty of land that needs more trees planted and I have a placenta in the freezer waiting to nourish a tree.

Today it's sunny and chilly (about 45 F out right now.) I love that combo. It's beautiful and autumnal out there. Our colors peaked about a week ago and now everything is settling in to the orange-brown melange that means the deciduous trees will be completely bare soon.

Off to read, knit, care for wee ones and walk in the sunshine.
post #40 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday. I guess it's been all those years of family fighting, putting a huge meal together and having everyone done in 20 minutes. I think we will have a quiet meal with just the 5 of us. This month my babies turn 16yrs. old. I can't believe it. My DH also will celebrate 19 yrs married on the 30th. I can't believe that either! Boy time is going by so fast.
Congratulations!! A dj back home came from a "slightly" disfunctional family and around Thanksgiving he used to start rehashing some of the more colorful highlights of T-days past. Made for entertaining stuff, and I always wondered if that didn't help him work past some of it as well. A private celebration is always nice, or you could do an "orphan" dinner and invite friends who either have no place to go or who have a place they don't want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Ds told me something really strange this morning. He had crawled into my bed and after awhile he told me that his legs were "stiff". I thought he was just goofing around but he just told me that he had tried to move his legs and couldn't for a moment.

He wasn't sleeping/dreaming. What is up with that?!
Rarely I get something that might be similar. If I sleep in the same position for a long time (always on my back) and am really tired and sleeping very deeply, it's like my body parts went to sleep as well and it takes a couple minutes for things to start working again. That's happened on and off for years, so it could very well be nothing, but I'd keep an eye on it just in case. Nothing like starting the week with something new to worry about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
Oh my, I'm tired!

Poor DD2 is sick and the night was loooooong. We were at SIL's when it started and she puked and pee'd on the floor of the tiny bathroom before I could do anything. She was restless all night. And at one point I got scared cause her breathing was very noisy; I'm used to false croup but with the flu madness going around, my imagination just flew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
My brain is so mushy these past few days... I wonder if I'm fighting off a cold? I do have a cancker sore on my gum and I often get one right before a cold hits. It's been getting colder and colder, today there was a thick frost on the ground...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
my 4 week old gets up at 2am for her "2 hours of fuss".

i am so tired today. i am getting good sleep when i do sleep, but i feel like i have a cold, DD2 has a stuffy nose that wakes her up choking around 5am. DD1 has a runny nose that makes her sneeze all the time and DSD just developed a sore throat. she says it feels better after ice cream. and they wonder why i out garlic in everything.
Wow I'm so sorry to hear of so many of our mama's not feeling well with tired and sick little ones! Hope everyone gets some much needed rest and feels better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
Considering a live tree this year...really live, with a root ball for planting afterwards. Anyone done this before? We have plenty of land that needs more trees planted and I have a placenta in the freezer waiting to nourish a tree.
My mom did this one year. Fair warning, they are HEAVY, so make sure you have something you can move it on or some strong people to help you out! Other than that it's been growing in her front yard for a few years now and thriving!

Spent most of last night doing laundry and ironing. Still not caught up but I see a light! Lot's of productive things to catch up on today, really nothing too exciting going on around here but wanted to check in and say hi!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › November Pagan Family Circle