or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Where did you purchase your amber teething necklace?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where did you purchase your amber teething necklace? - Page 2

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by atenea View Post
Silly question, maybe. Does the baby just wear the necklace, or chew on the beads?
No, make sure the baby never ever puts the necklace in his/her mouth. If they bite them hard enough, the beads can break and they have sharp edges. They should only be worn under supervision. A lot of moms let their babies sleep in them, but I won't do even that unless she's just taking a nap and is right there with me. It worries me too much.

Also, a lot of companies sell amber bracelets and ankle bracelets for the same purpose and they are cheaper, but I have read that the jewelry should be as close to the origin of pain as possible to work, so for teething, you'd need a necklace.

The baby just wears it and their bodies warm the amber which releases trace amounts of succinic acid onto their skin where it is absorbed and relieves pain.

Some moms find that the teething necklaces don't work for their babies. If you buy one from Inspired by Finn, however, she will guarantee them, so you can send it back if it doesn't work for you.
post #22 of 38
Ah, thanks. I was a little confused because most teething relievers I've seen are for the baby to put in her mouth. I'd heard of this amber, but couldn't find much info on it.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by atenea View Post
Ah, thanks. I was a little confused because most teething relievers I've seen are for the baby to put in her mouth. I'd heard of this amber, but couldn't find much info on it.
Now, I HAVE seen amber made into teethers and pacifiers for teething and I'm sure it would work well, but amber can break, even if it's a big piece and I'd be scared it would be a very dangerous choking hazard.
post #24 of 38
With how hard it is to tell the differences what tests do you do to make sure you are not getting Copal (immature amber) instead of Amber? Looking some things up I see it is much easier to tell the differences between Resin and Amber (though no one mentions seams, more they mention taste, smell and using acetone [nail polish remover]), but it seems much harder to tell the difference between Copal and Amber.

I want to figure this all out before my DS starts to teeth in case I decide to try the amber teething necklaces. I will certainly check out the one site if they guarentee their pieces though.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
With how hard it is to tell the differences what tests do you do to make sure you are not getting Copal (immature amber) instead of Amber? Looking some things up I see it is much easier to tell the differences between Resin and Amber (though no one mentions seams, more they mention taste, smell and using acetone [nail polish remover]), but it seems much harder to tell the difference between Copal and Amber.

I want to figure this all out before my DS starts to teeth in case I decide to try the amber teething necklaces. I will certainly check out the one site if they guarentee their pieces though.
This website tells how to tell the difference between the two:
http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/amber/copal.htm

but for a teething necklace, it does not matter. From a fine jewelry standpoint, yes, you would want mature amber in your nice gold or silver setting because it is more rare, more durable, and it may include fossilized species, but a teething necklace isn't meant to be fine jewelry to last forever. All you would really want it for is it's painkilling properties.

Still, even if it was ancient amber, it wouldn't work unless it was Baltic amber, so I would advise just to choose based on companies that guarantee that their necklaces are of Baltic amber, not just amber.
post #26 of 38
Actually, having done some in-depth research just now on the specific types of amber, it looks like Baltic amber, which is definitely the ONLY type of amber that contains succinic acid, is not the mature amber you are talking about.

From what I am reading:

-Mature amber does NOT contain succinic acid and is therefore not useable for teething.

-Baltic amber is the ONLY type of amber to contain succinic acid.

-Baltic amber is also called kauri amber, kauri gum, or resin.

So yeah, it looks like in this case, you actually want the "inferior" stuff.
post #27 of 38
Are there any side effects from getting succinic acid in a baby?




. EDIT: Also...where would you say is the best place to buy autnetic baltic amber teething necklaces?
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
Are there any side effects from getting succinic acid in a baby?

. EDIT: Also...where would you say is the best place to buy autnetic baltic amber teething necklaces?
There are no side effects caused by succinic acid from wearing teething necklaces, but some babies just do not like them. They may just not like having something around their neck. My daughter never even seemed to notice hers.

I got mine from Inspired by Finn and love it
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by atenea View Post
Silly question, maybe. Does the baby just wear the necklace, or chew on the beads?
They just wear it.

Leighi123, could you PM me that code? I'd really appriciate it!
post #30 of 38
We got ours from amberartisans.com. It is baltic amber from Lithuania and the website is great. It explains all about amber and the succinic acid it contains. It was not expensive, IMO, and we actually got a matching set for me and babygirl. It did take a while to get them, though, since the came from far away!
post #31 of 38
I also ordered mine from Inspired by Finn and we love them. (I have one and DS has one). I also just ordered a Hazelwood necklace from them to see if it helps his reflux!
post #32 of 38

nova natural and palumba

post #33 of 38

Its like medicine, it works for everybody different I guess, we use it for over 4months ( 11month boy), at least we can sleep bit more. I am wondering, some saying baby can put it in mouth.

I am sorry, what a hell you talking about, I assure its impossible, it means they are fake, too long and probably not from real amber. There are lot of stores sell them, buy who sells real baltic amber, like we got from ambercraftstore.com, necklace made specifically for babies teething. And of course results can vary.
 

post #34 of 38

check out bouncy baby boutique for the teething necklaces they have a safety cert on the new clasp they use on the baby necklaces issued from a baby toy safety certification company so get the safest amber teething products go check them out on amazon or google......most teething necklaces dont have a safety tension release clasp that is made to break and they use a screw clasp which i would never put on my kid...but check out the safety clasp bouncy baby boutique has... a+ for them for safety and helping use keep our kids alive..!!!!!

 

post #35 of 38

hello dear, it was very hard time for me to nurse teething twines. I had no such pain problems with first baby. Now I can tell you, that there is a real difference with amber necklace and without. Because only REAL amber really works. a time ago a bought my amber teething necklace here: MaRRine Jewelry shop http://www.marrinejewelry.com/en/27-baltic-amber-teething-necklaces  It came with CERTIFICATE proving that ambers are real. I have red several articles, and the girl from this webshop explained to me how it works. Real amber contains succinic acid, and when ambers have a contact with hot baby's skin, amber start to release the acid and that is how pain relief is achieved. I hope it will be useful to you, because I can tell 100 times, there is a real difference in babies behavior.  

post #36 of 38

Our daughter has been wearing amber necklaces from the art of cure since she was 6 months old.  First she started with on amber baby teething necklace, then we added a second one just in case the succinct acid was wearing thing (I doubt it was but who know).  Now our daughter is 4 1/2 and we moved her up to a larger necklace... well because her neck is bigger now (go fig.)  We swear by the baltic amber from the art of cure and are SOOOO THANKFUL for this natural teething remedy! 

Our daughter now, with all of her baby teeth.  She loves her 'big girl' amber necklace:

post #37 of 38

I bought one from IBF. Sometimes I think it doesn't work because my DS still drools and has fussy periods. But I've noticed when I bathe him and remove the necklace, sometimes I forget to put it back on....and OH MY the fussiness escalates 100%! It hasn't just happened once or twice, either..so I know the necklace works.

post #38 of 38

Amazon

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Where did you purchase your amber teething necklace?