We have a non working fireplace in the living room, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, it is a brick fireplace, something is off/wrong with the flu. Repairs to make it a normal fireplace are supposedly pretty expensive, maybe even $10,000 expensive. We learned this when we bought the house 2.5 years ago, and got $11,000 off the agreed upon price of the house. So, we really want to do something with it. I'm not into a regular fireplace because if it is going to be really expensive I think I would rather something that actually can heat the house a little. Our heating needs are pretty small because we are in N. California but from Boston, so it just doesn't seem cold to us here. We haven't used heat yet this year, probably won't until at least December or until we have guests (who always think our house is ). I figure if I can get it working it can be our sole heating source, but I definitely need suggestions and help! Do I go with a gas insert for ease? Wood burning stove insert? Is one healthier as far as toxins? Is one cheaper? Is one more fun? Is one more ? TIA!
post #1 of 11
11/7/09 at 5:20pm