or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Squeaky-clean, absolutely inoffensive movies for 10-12-year-old girls?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Squeaky-clean, absolutely inoffensive movies for 10-12-year-old girls? - Page 3

post #41 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
so this is what plugged in said for kit kitteredge, under "crude and profane language":


A "darn," a "holy cow," a "golly" and three exclamations of "oh my gosh." Name-calling is limited to one "moron" and accusations of "good for nothing" and "freeloader."

seriously? freeloader is considered crude or profane??

they also objected to jeez in nim's island, along with "what the..." trailing off at the end.
Maybe because it's namecalling? Hey, it would get you in trouble here.

Jeez I can see I guess because it's derived from taking Jesus's name in vain.

Did I mention plugged in is run by Focus on the Family? So they're dealing with some pretty conservative values.
post #42 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
...My daughter loves The Prince and Me (the first one), ...
This is not a clean movie by many standards. DH and I went to watch that on a date when it came out, and we actually left the theater because it was too sexual for our standards.
post #43 of 124
Think "old movies." Like old Disney, with actors ... like "Million Dollar Duck" and "The Love Bug" and the like. The original "Parent Trap" and "Cheaper by the Dozen" and the like.


"Sound of Music" is squeaky clean enough for girls that age. Assuming they can deal with a movie with Nazis.

There was a lovely version of "Black Beauty" made in the '90s. And then there's the version of "Little Women" also from the '90s, with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale. My almost-10-yo squeaky clean DD#1 loves those.
post #44 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Ever After-- a retelling of Cinderella with Drew Barrymore and a cute prince, totally clean
I was going to suggest Ever After, it's a really good movie, but near the end she is forced into the keeping of an evil man, has to wear a ball and chain, and finally pulls a sword on him to defeat him. I don't think that scene would pass the standards set.

FWIW, personally I don't think it's a problem for the pre-teen age, or even younger. It seems like the standard sought is pretty high though.

Since narratives require conflict to be interesting, it's going to be hard to find anything appealing to the pre-teen age that doesn't have something potentially offensive to someone.

I would start compiling a list of terrific documentaries, like Planet Earth. Sure, there's some violence in that series, but it's all between animals. For pre-teens, it shouldn't be worse than what they see happening everyday eg. cats and birds, road kill etc.
post #45 of 124
I second Hotel for Dogs.

I'm pretty sensitive to what my kids watch and that one, along with Kit Kittredge and Nim's Island were completely fine in my book.
post #46 of 124
I actually like pluggedin's movie reviews. It's really thorough, and while I disagree with 99% of their perspective regarding child development, parenting, religion, and just about everything else...it's the ONLY site that really does a complete REVIEW of the movie. And I can choose based on facts (x many swear words of this type vs. this kind of sexuality shown) whether or not it's right for our family.

Off to see what they found offensive about Veggie Tales, some of their reviews are a RIOT!
post #47 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
"Sound of Music" is squeaky clean enough for girls that age. Assuming they can deal with a movie with Nazis.
Yeah I was thinking the Nazi stuff might be a little scary.

The older Parent Trap with Hayley Mills has more sexual innuendo than the newer one with Lindsay Lohan.
post #48 of 124
The old Dr. Doolittle with Rex Harrison?
The Apple Dumpling Gang?
The Incredible Mr. Limpet?
Ratatouillie?
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken...but there IS a murder in it...
Harriet the Spy?
The old Parent Trap
Really a lot of those old Disney movies...Flubber ( the old one) the Shaggy Dog, any of the old Disney movies with Kurt Russel.

"Squeaky" clean might be really hard to find if there is NOTHING that can be objected to...

Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Milo and Otis, Ever After, animated Disney before The Hunchback of Notre Dame...

Most stories have an element of risk or tension to move the story along...is that objectionable, too? Or just language, magic and sexual references?

How much violence is okay and what kind? Again, it sometimes moves the story along...

Oh, the Shirley Temple version of The Little Princess? Scary because her father left her, might have died...

Heidi, the old one.
post #49 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
I actually like pluggedin's movie reviews. It's really thorough, and while I disagree with 99% of their perspective regarding child development, parenting, religion, and just about everything else...it's the ONLY site that really does a complete REVIEW of the movie. And I can choose based on facts (x many swear words of this type vs. this kind of sexuality shown) whether or not it's right for our family.

Off to see what they found offensive about Veggie Tales, some of their reviews are a RIOT!
That's exactly how I feel about it. The added bonus is that it makes me feel waaaaaaaay less overprotective.
post #50 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post

Off to see what they found offensive about Veggie Tales, some of their reviews are a RIOT!
too much violence.
post #51 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
too much violence.
Those cukes are a bloodthirsty bunch.
post #52 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
too much violence.
Guess The Three Stooges are out, then , too.
post #53 of 124
I can't think of a movie that would please everyone.
Is there anything in the world that would be acceptable to EVERYONE?

A fun thread!

Prince and Me had a kiss at the library (I don't remember anything beyond that, but I guess that can be offensive to some?)
Princes Diaries has that scene at the beach, where they are hiding in the house and making out is implied, could that be offensive to some?
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White all fall into "Disney/Princess" category, that quite a few do not approve of.
Bembi's mom dies.

meh! There is no hope!
post #54 of 124
In The Prince and Me, they were fullout getting naked in the library-- and that was just on the edited-for-TV version.
post #55 of 124
My Fair Lady is out. Her father basically offers to sell her to Henry Higgins to get money to support his drinking habit, plus her tea-party conversation about gin, murder, and who got custody of her aunt's hat.

AFAIK, Lassie Come Home and National Velvet are quite unobjectionable. I bet Meet Me in St. Louis would be OK too. My daughter has really enjoyed old Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies -- might have limited appeal for other kids, and also there's usually some drinking, but otherwise nothing offensive.

This is really hard! No Miyazaki movies, because of witchcraft/magic/Japanese nature spirits, no Bedknobs and Broomsticks, no Adventures of Robin Hood or Treasure Island or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ... my whole mental list of "safe" movies is out!

Oh, what about DVDs of Cirque du Soleil performances? Surely no one can possibly object to THOSE, and they are captivating for all ages.
post #56 of 124
Oh, in the same spirit as Cirque du Soleil, how about the ABT production of The Nutcracker, with Mikhail Barishnikov and Gelsey Kirkland? STUNNING dancing, no dialogue and hence no dirty words, seasonally appropriate. The only thing even the most dedicated prude could possibly object to is Barishnikov's tights ... and the word "Nut" in the title ...
post #57 of 124
Meet me in St. Louis is strange! We're trying to show the kids older movies and rented this one. On Halloween night the 2 younger girls dress up like hobos and go out to a kid run bonfire in the street. Then they meet up and decide who they'll "get". They were pretending they killed people by knocking on their doors and when they answered they would yell, "I hate you" and blow flour in their faces. The younger sister took on the scariest guy in the neighborhood to show the others that she wasn't too young as they said she was. Supposedly he killed cats and you could smell them burning in his chimney. She did it and they were all impressed. Later that night they hear her scream and she says the boy next door that her older sister likes hit her. SO of course the older sister goes over and yells at him. It turns out that the girls through a stuffed dummy onto the trolley lines to try and derail the trolley and hurt the people aboard. The older sisters at first were appalled but then just started laughing and everyone gave the baby sister ice cream because she was so good while getting her stitches. This was all just a tangential plot but soooo weird! Thanks for letting me get all of that out -- the gist, although most of the movie is incredibly squeaky clean due to a weird tangential plot line I don't think that it will make the cut!
post #58 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I was going to suggest Ever After, it's a really good movie, but near the end she is forced into the keeping of an evil man, has to wear a ball and chain, and finally pulls a sword on him to defeat him. I don't think that scene would pass the standards set.

FWIW, personally I don't think it's a problem for the pre-teen age, or even younger. It seems like the standard sought is pretty high though.
Good point. I see it as a good tense/violent situation, though, because she is empowered and saves herself, so, wholesome role modeling for girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Prince and Me had a kiss at the library (I don't remember anything beyond that, but I guess that can be offensive to some?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
In The Prince and Me, they were fullout getting naked in the library-- and that was just on the edited-for-TV version.
Yeah, they were definitely heavily making out/trying to have sex in the library. I don't know how far it went, we left.
post #59 of 124
Wall-E? It's a bit for little kids, but my husband and I rent it alot just to watch it by ourselves...plugged in gives it good reviews too, saying it's most edgiest moment was when Wall-E puts a bra over his eyes...and that it's profanity consists of "heck" "darn" "golly" and an unfinished "what the...".

Don't necessarily think these are all "squeaky clean", but here are some more movies that I know my neices like, and plugged-in had fairly positive reviews about:
Princess Diaries
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Hannah Montana: The Movie
Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert
Earth
Anastasia
Ice Princess
A Walk to Remember
Pride and Prejudice
Penelope
Nim's Island
Nicholas Nickleby
Little Women
Dreamer
Akeelah and the bee
Nancy Drew
Miss Potter
Because of Winn-Dixie
Journey to the Center of the Earth
City of Ember
post #60 of 124
Thread Starter 
Ah, you guys are great! I haven't heard of some of these but I'll look 'em up. I'd forgotten all about National Velvet! And Heidi - duh! I did consider Ever After early on but it has at least one swear word, plus a few other slight potentially offensive things...

I also considered the Disney/Pixar canon but I suspect girls that age might consider them babyish - you know how preteen are about wanting to avoid kids' stuff! Plus, a lot of parents are anti-Disney, and a lot of the Pixar films have "inappropriate" elements (heck, The Incredibles was PG!). Maybe Ratatouille would be OK though...

*googles and googles and googles some more*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Squeaky-clean, absolutely inoffensive movies for 10-12-year-old girls?