or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Chicken pox & shingles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicken pox & shingles - Page 3

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewallflower View Post
Shingles can cause debilitating pain and permanent nerve damage. The person you know was lucky. I have never known someone with such a mild case. Honestly, "a little itchy" sounds like he or she had something else.
Actually, that was the case with me too. I had CP naturally as a child, and in my early twenties I noticed a small rash on my stomach, which was a little itchy. I looked at pictures on the internet, and thought it looked like shingles. I went to my doctor, and confirmed that it was shingles. It didn't bother me in the least.

I'm not using this to prove that naturally occurring chicken pox sufferers get less sever cases of shingles later on, but that the severity seems to be different in people generally, for whatever reason. My younger sister is the only other person I've known who has had shingles, and she had quite a rough time of it. She was vaccinated rather than getting it naturally, however she has several medical conditions that probably had a lot to do with the severity for her.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
A separate thread on the validity of studies on vaccines might be a good idea?

"The CP vax has done society no favors."-

I'm in agreement. If the vaccine wasn't around, everyone would be exposed through out thier lives to CP as different generations of children got it. But now, we are not.


ETA: Forgot to mention, I also think a separate thread on the validity of studies on vaccine is a good idea. Just a thread where we can all post different studies and talk about them
post #43 of 56
My husband had a mild case of CP as a child when he was 28 he was exposed to chicken pox at our baby shower and developed shingles .. he is too young for the shingles vax but our grandparents went and got it and now my grandma has shingles ... I didn't vax JohnPaul against CP because I would prefer he get the illness that way we are sure .. the vax may or may not cause problems or help but atleast I know if I do it naturally it will happen naturally .. he is 2 and 2 months and hasn't had CP yet although he has been exposed (w/out our knowledge)
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara7 View Post
The pox vax is about 14 years old. At most the children who received are what 20-25. Let's have this conversation when they are 60 or so.
Children never got shingles. As the vax wears off, and they get no natural boosters, then we'll see....
That's what I was going to say.
post #45 of 56
Again, that's why the leukemia study is helpful. Among a group of children who *are* susceptible to developing shingles, the vaxxed children were very significantly less likely to get shingles than the children who had natural immunity. (They still got shingles, cause being that immunosuppressed makes you highly susceptible, but in much fewer numbers than the natural children. It was a very statistically significant difference.)

I am not a fan of the vax. But now that it's out there, we're stuck with it. We've got to make the best decisions for our children based on the current disease landscape.

(My son has not had the chicken pox vax FWIW.)
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post

In a way the vax is causing more shingles but for your own kid, getting the vax prevents shingles.
That's not true. There is no evidence that vaccinated kids are protected from shingles. Even our pediatrician said that they really don't know if those vaccinated will come down with shingles later in life.
post #47 of 56
That's what I meant by the leukemia study being significant. It's a well conducted, peer reviewed study that does in fact show that vaccinated kids are more protected from shingles than kids who got the disease naturally.
post #48 of 56
but, how protected is 'more' protected?
And is it so significant that it justifies a vax shot at 18 months, 5 years, and future boosters to yet be determined?
Does it apply to children that are not compromised or is the benefit purely seen for children with leukemia (or, perhaps, otherwise compromised).
Jessica
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post
nak

You cannot possibly have shingles without previously having had the CP.

CP virus stays dormant forever in the spinal nerve roots.

Shingles occurs when the dormant virus reactivates, typically many years after the original episode of active CP.
Not true. My sister got Shingles when she four and she had never had the chicken pox before that. I remember the doctor being completely shocked that a four year old could have shingles but she did. I also rememeber the nurses putting on gloves and scratching away at the sores and my sister crying and crying.
post #50 of 56
Actually, yes it is true that you have to be exposed to the CP virus in order to have shingles. But not everyone who is exposed gets sick. So your sister would have had to of been exposed to the virus at some point to have gotten shingles.

My Son had a very mild case of CP I didn't even realize he had it or was even sick until the rash showed up. Then I realized why he was a bit more sleepy, nursing more and had a slight runny nose the few days before the rash showed up. I thought he was teething. He was 2 at the time. Some people can fight it off and not get sick at all or even get the bumps.
post #51 of 56
This is an interesting discussion. I am just starting to research vax. I always thought the CP vaccine was silly. My brother and I (both in our late 20's now) had CP naturally as very young children.

Our younger sister (born in 1988) got the vaccine as a child. When she was about 10 or so, she got the shingles. I don't think it was a very bad case, but was confirmed by the doc. I do remember thinking it was weird that she was the only one in the family who had the CP vax and the only one of us to get shingles.

I am almost 30 and had CP when I was very young. I always thought CP immunity was for life. Now I am worried. I think I need to take myself to a pox party
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewallflower View Post
Shingles can cause debilitating pain and permanent nerve damage. The person you know was lucky. I have never known someone with such a mild case. Honestly, "a little itchy" sounds like he or she had something else.
I got CP naturally in my mid 20's.

2 weeks later a friend (who happened to be hanging out with us the day I became sick with the fever, before the rash) broke out with singles. He claimed it did not hurt a all. This was in the early 90's, before the vax was available.

My grandmother had the singles about 5 years ago. She also did not have pain. She was itchy but that was about it.

I think like many herpes type illnesses, it really depends on what nerve the virus is attacking as to how a person will react.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post

OK let me get this straight,You won't ever get shingles if you never have CP, but then you gotta worry about getting CP as an adult, so is it better to let your kids get the pox or not?

I know this is an old thread but this is where I'm stuck too. I'm not giving the CP vax to my kids. But if given the opportunity, do I have them exposed?

1. If I do, then they are at risk of developing shingles which can be very painful with long lasting ill effects.

2. I find don't, then they cannot develop shingles but MAY catch CP as adults. This is bad for DD if she were pregnant and this is bad for DS because why?

3. CP vax has increased shingles infections because people who have already had the CP are not getting natural boosters from being exposed to CP on an ongoing basis. But how DO you get shingles? The virus lies dormant and just appears over time if there's been no natural boosting?

4. So there's a vax for shingles for people 59 and over, is that right? Since CP cases are so low now, and boosters are the answer to avoiding shingles, is the answer to get boosters for CP now?
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thispathisme View Post


I know this is an old thread but this is where I'm stuck too. I'm not giving the CP vax to my kids. But if given the opportunity, do I have them exposed?

1. If I do, then they are at risk of developing shingles which can be very painful with long lasting ill effects. they "can" - or you can be like other adults and be exposed and exposed and still not get it

2. I find don't, then they cannot develop shingles but MAY catch CP as adults. This is bad for DD if she were pregnant and this is bad for DS because why? he can spread them and as an adult "can" have complications

3. CP vax has increased shingles infections because people who have already had the CP are not getting natural boosters from being exposed to CP on an ongoing basis. But how DO you get shingles? They don't know. The virus lies dormant and just appears over time if there's been no natural boosting? it can and it's can't - they don't know what will trigger it in everyone - I will tell you a family member just died and she had it 3 times that we know of - STRESS!!! for her- she was NOT a candidate for the shingles vac - because she had other health issues and her system was far to weak
some have severe pain, not itching and some only have itching and not much pain at all, also some only get a "belt" of shingles, others get it all over

4. So there's a vax for shingles for people 59 and over, is that right?yes but not everyone really should have it, so you expose, they get it and must wait (as of now) until they are much older- by that time you don't know if they will have other health issues that will prevent them from getting the shingles vaccine- it's a real crap shoot! Since CP cases are so low now, and boosters are the answer to avoiding shingles, is the answer to get boosters for CP now? ? if you do, you can get shingles as a child or young adult and still not get the "shingles" vaccine
 
first if you are "healthy enough" to get the shingles vac you most likely need to pay out of pocket for it - Medicare does not cover it and most in the age group don't have that extra money to do it- thus the low rate of getting it - also if you have other medical conditions your dr may not suggest you get it - so what will trigger it - that is different for everyone
 
With our family member the last time she had it, she was moving, one of the movers came down with CP and did not have physical contact with her - moved wooden furniture, he was an adult and it was very bad (we know if had to come from her, given the time and he was home also at the time and not around anyone else-no kids) and no one else that had shingles- he was the only one that got it- 9 day later but took additional day to confirm it in him- no one else broke out with shingles at the time either

I can help maybe with a few things- there is another thread right now that may help you in the NOT vaccine section you may want to look at

 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/should-not-vacc.htm

 

 

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) vaccine

Some people should not get shingles vaccine or should wait.

A person should not get shingles vaccine who:

  • has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or any other component of shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.
  • has a weakened immune system because of current:
    • AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system,
    • treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as prolonged use of high-dose steroids,
    • cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy,
    • cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma.
  • is pregnant, or might be pregnant. Women should not become pregnant until at least 4 weeks after getting shingles vaccines.

Someone with a minor acute illness, such as a cold, may be vaccinated. But anyone with a moderate or severe acute illness should usually wait until they recover before getting the vaccine. This includes anyone with a temperature of 101.3° F or higher.

This information was taken directly from the Shingles VIS Adobe Acrobat print-friendly PDF file [PDF - 132 KB] 
(This information taken from Shingles VIS dated 10/6/09. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)

post #55 of 56

serenbat, thank you for the information

 

It got me thinking, and I may have already read the answer to this question elsewhere, but honestly, it's hard to keep up with the vax forums, especially when I'm only getting a few minutes here and there to read up on my phone - I have siblings who have had the shingles. One of them we thought had never had CP but obviously we were wrong about that. Am I understanding correctly that they can still get the shingles again, even though they've already had it? If so, how is the shingles vax effective... won't people still possibly get shingles even after having had the vax? I was under the impression that "natural immunity" worked better than a vaccine.

post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thispathisme View Post

serenbat, thank you for the information

 

It got me thinking, and I may have already read the answer to this question elsewhere, but honestly, it's hard to keep up with the vax forums, especially when I'm only getting a few minutes here and there to read up on my phone - I have siblings who have had the shingles. One of them we thought had never had CP but obviously we were wrong about that. Am I understanding correctly that they can still get the shingles again, even though they've already had it?YES!!! some several times If so, how is the shingles vax effective... won't people still possibly get shingles even after having had the vax? It's not 100%! I was under the impression that "natural immunity" worked better than a vaccine. That's what the evidence also says but you can't get "natural" if there is a pox vac for children and we eliminate natural from happening!! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Chicken pox & shingles