|I truly do not understand what the risk is?|
Pros to leaving your child(ren) in the car for a short period of time while you do something within sight of the car:
- potentially convenient (not convinient if someone calls the police or harrasses you for it)
- potential for extended nap (not if baby wakes up when you stop the car, as some babies do)
- potentially safer (when you have multiple children and need to do something quick, such as put a shopping cart back)
Cons to leaving your child(ren) in the car, for even a short period of time:
- potential for you to get hurt and child to be alone in car and no one knows they're in the car alone (if you were knocked unconsious or something like that)
- potential for a car jacking/kidnapping (rare, but obviously does happen)
- potential for child to feel abandoned/get scared and be alone
- potential for someone to call the police/authorities on you (pretty big risk
- potentially illegal (in some states)
- potential for you to get in a bad habit and then later forget that child(ren) is in the car (seems weird, but clearly has happened)
Am I missing anything? Obviously it's a personal choice with what you're comfortable with and what your cost/benefit analysis is, but to me, it just doesn't seem worth the costs for the minuscule benefits.
And yes, I would call the police if I saw a baby/child in a car alone for more than 30 seconds. I'm sorry, but I have no idea how long a child has been left in the car alone, if they're sleeping I might not even be able to tell if they're alive or not, and there's just too many instances of children hurt/dead because they are left in cars for me to not call the police in hopes that a parent shows up soon. Wouldn't you rather I call the police and then you come out of the store and we know your baby is safe and it's a hassle but not a big deal, compared to me not calling the police when a baby is neglected in the car and needs help? Better safe than sorry in my opinion. But hey, maybe I'm overly cautious. Just seems to me you can't really be too cautious with babies when people are negligent and leave young ones to die alone in cars somewhat frequently.