or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What's your most embarrassing public parenting moment?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's your most embarrassing public parenting moment? - Page 5

post #81 of 130
I'm good for getting the girls ready to go, hair, shoes, the whole thing and running out of the house with no shoes on... *blush*

There was also the time that we went to my mother's house and met up with my grandma and everyone. We were getting out plates ready so I made one up for the 2 year old, the one year old would share a plate with my friend and then I go to make myself a plate. A tiny bit of carrots, a tiny bit of meat. It took my grandma coming over and asking me if that was MY plate for me to realize I was preparing a toddler-sized plate for myself!

Ah, the joys lol

We haven't had any poopy problems in public yet. Then again, now that I've said it, that'll be it next time! aaahhh!!!
post #82 of 130
My mother is very religious and has pretty big issues with Halloween, witches, etc. So this year, my daughter, myself, and future MIL were all witches for Halloween, and to prepare my daughter for the inevitable disapproval of my mother, I explained to DD that Grammy has beliefs that preclude her from enjoying Halloween and witch costumes, and we need to respect those beliefs and not get in her face about the issue.

It doesn't help that I myself am a pagan-ish nature worshipper, although I'm not Wiccan, so there is a lot of unspoken tension about that with my mother...so in the weeks leading up to Halloween, I explained to my daughter that there are people who do call themselves witches and that Grammy's beliefs give her the impression that those people are bad or scary, and it's not Grammy's fault that she's just uninformed about Wiccans. I showed her some information about Wiccans and let her look at a video of a grounding meditation led by Starhawk. She reported back to my mother that I was giving her "witch lessons"! I went back and watched the meditation again and Starhawk sure does say that if you want to be a witch, you have to learn how to ground yourself....Whoops I have always let the kidlet explore her own spirituality, so she has been having a lot of fun checking out her "spells", etc. for the last month or so.

So this past weekend at her birthday party, I left the room to put my contacts in, and as I'm standing there with my finger in my eye, I hear my daughter making an impassioned speech telling everyone in the entire family that her Grammy is crazy, witches aren't evil or bad, they're nice people who like nature and healing, and that she is a Wiccan!

DP and I were mortified at the time, but we laughed our butts off after the guests left and have taken to calling the incident DD's "Let my Wiccans go" speech.
post #83 of 130
**oh for the love of pete will you lay off the poor mama with the naked babe wrapped in a blanket by the big brother & put in the carseat ...cut a mama some slack, sisters..seriously no one out here is a perfect parent**

now on to the funny...middle DS was about 3 and still pretty hard to understand his speech...except for this one very public time...we were in a fancy kiddy boutique*yeah that doesn't happen that often* and I was talking to another mother who had engaged me about a toy I was looking at, middle DS walks up and asks to buy said toy..I tell him "no sweetie, not today"..he pauses for a moment then exclaims in his very loud and clearest yet voice.." well DAAAAMM-MMMMIT" and walks off...needless to say the other mom made a hasty excuse to leave...
I almost never curse in front of my kiddos...almost*ahem*

and my other fav..I was a single mom with my first DS and hadn't dated at all for about 3 yrs...DS1 had just turned three and I met a wonderful man (now my DH) and he had taken us out for a fun kid movie and afterward wants to bring us to as little cafe for dessert. Well it's Saturday night and he choses this cute as heck cafe/bakery that is full of people. So we snag a table by the door, sit down, get a coffee and a yummy..and my DS annouces he has to go pee. My date , the future DH, being all cute and working to impress me (we'd been dateing a few months) says "it's okay, I'll take him"..so off they trot to the men's bathroom..that my son has never entered before. I'm left sitting and wondering how this will go...they seem to be gone for awhile..then I spot DS trying to walk through the huge crowd of folks who are standing near the counter and talking, he gets about 20 feet from me then in the loudest voice exclaims "MAMA!!! ALL THESE MEN PEE STANDING UP!!!!!!!" while gestering widely with his hands at the crowd.. like it ws the greatest revelation he has ever had...the grin on his face was HUGE...he gets about 10 feet closer and finished this tale of triumph with "MOM!! I PEED IN A JOURNAL" (urinal) The entire place fell silent while future DH and I tried to control our laughter and my wee boy just grinned and grinned
post #84 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneymum View Post
**oh for the love of pete will you lay off the poor mama with the naked babe wrapped in a blanket by the big brother & put in the carseat ...cut a mama some slack, sisters..seriously no one out here is a perfect parent**

now on to the funny...middle DS was about 3 and still pretty hard to understand his speech...except for this one very public time...we were in a fancy kiddy boutique*yeah that doesn't happen that often* and I was talking to another mother who had engaged me about a toy I was looking at, middle DS walks up and asks to buy said toy..I tell him "no sweetie, not today"..he pauses for a moment then exclaims in his very loud and clearest yet voice.." well DAAAAMM-MMMMIT" and walks off...needless to say the other mom made a hasty excuse to leave...
I almost never curse in front of my kiddos...almost*ahem*

and my other fav..I was a single mom with my first DS and hadn't dated at all for about 3 yrs...DS1 had just turned three and I met a wonderful man (now my DH) and he had taken us out for a fun kid movie and afterward wants to bring us to as little cafe for dessert. Well it's Saturday night and he choses this cute as heck cafe/bakery that is full of people. So we snag a table by the door, sit down, get a coffee and a yummy..and my DS annouces he has to go pee. My date , the future DH, being all cute and working to impress me (we'd been dateing a few months) says "it's okay, I'll take him"..so off they trot to the men's bathroom..that my son has never entered before. I'm left sitting and wondering how this will go...they seem to be gone for awhile..then I spot DS trying to walk through the huge crowd of folks who are standing near the counter and talking, he gets about 20 feet from me then in the loudest voice exclaims "MAMA!!! ALL THESE MEN PEE STANDING UP!!!!!!!" while gestering widely with his hands at the crowd.. like it ws the greatest revelation he has ever had...the grin on his face was HUGE...he gets about 10 feet closer and finished this tale of triumph with "MOM!! I PEED IN A JOURNAL" (urinal) The entire place fell silent while future DH and I tried to control our laughter and my wee boy just grinned and grinned
that is FANTASTIC! lol
post #85 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Not a poop story!

A few months after the twins were born, a friend at work was cross-stitching something for them and asked for me to write down their first name, middle name, birth date, weights, heights, etc. I started to write it all down and completely forgot their middle names! I actually had to call DH and ask him what they were.
That is so cute! I remember those newborn blackouts, I imagine they're even worse with twins!
post #86 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
That is so cute! I remember those newborn blackouts, I imagine they're even worse with twins!
ha! I just remembered a very *bad mama* moment/blackout. A lil back ground...I have 2 older dds, 15yo & 10yo...very used to having girls. Well after 9years of ttc, we have our 1st ds!
Last xmas, my hubby and I were shopping for our dds ... then 2mo ds was sound asleep in the ring sling. The girl checking us out asked the usual babe questions..

Cashier: How old is your baby?

me: 2mo

Cashier: Boy or girl?








me: girl.

dh: lol umm no he's not!

me: omg, I mean boy, he's a boy


I felt sooo awful! haha, I stop to think about these questions now
post #87 of 130
I just remembered another one:

When DS2 was little (maybe around 2) we were out somewhere and I was trying to entertain him and keep him from running around. I had him on my lap and was tickling him a little and other silly things. At one point I put my wide open mouth against his back near his shoulder and blew hot air through his shirt onto his skin. He giggled and squirmed and said loudly, "That's hot mommy! Blow me again!"
post #88 of 130
When my daughter was 3, we were at the zoo. I had to go to the bathroom and made her come with me as I was hoping to convince her to go then instead of 6 minutes later. It happened to be during my period and I use cloth pads. As I was sitting on the toilet, the following conversation occured:

DD: Mama, what's that? *gestures toward pad*
Me: It's a pad. Girls wear them when -
DD: I'm a girl and I don't wear that. It has poop on it. Eww!! It has poop on it!! It -
Me: It does NOT have poop on it. That's blood. (note - pad was a dark fabric so blood probably did look poop-colored) And it's -
DD: *shrieking loudly* Mama!! you have POOP IN YOUR PANTS!! Why do you have poop in your pants? That's YUCKY! Blech!
Me: I. Do. Not. Have. Poop. In. My. Pants. It's blood. This is a pad and it catches the blood. It's like a band-aid, sort of.
DD: No it's not. It's poop. I can see it.

I was done at this point and pushed her out of the stall ahead of me and walked to the sink to wash our hands. She is STILL carrying on about poop. The woman next to me laughs and I look up. There were probably 5-6 women waiting in line, plus women in all of the stalls. Every face I could see was amused. That day, every time one of them passed me, they probably thought, "Oh, there's the woman with poop in her pants."
post #89 of 130
Well, of course, I have a number of poop/pee stories, but that genre seems pretty well covered!

I try to teach DD the proper names for body parts. She knows them pretty well, but her pronunciation isn't great. We were grocery shopping with my sister the other day, and DD asked (COMPLETELY randomly and loudly), "Aunt T-- do you have a fuweefra?"
post #90 of 130
We were checking out at Target and DS told the cashier "Mommy tooted".
post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
I just remembered another one:

When DS2 was little (maybe around 2) we were out somewhere and I was trying to entertain him and keep him from running around. I had him on my lap and was tickling him a little and other silly things. At one point I put my wide open mouth against his back near his shoulder and blew hot air through his shirt onto his skin. He giggled and squirmed and said loudly, "That's hot mommy! Blow me again!"
I have tears running down my face because I am laughing so hard. AWESOME
post #92 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
There were probably 5-6 women waiting in line, plus women in all of the stalls. Every face I could see was amused. That day, every time one of them passed me, they probably thought, "Oh, there's the woman with poop in her pants."
I hope you don't think they 'believed' your little one. I'm pretty sure they were all amused that she was your responsibility for the day. And very understanding of what you were trying to explain.
I've only been at home and I still haven't figured out how to explain the mama pads, occasional tampon, or the diva cup to my little ones. I'm either really scientific or I just try to get them distracted and to change the subject. They look like diapers to my 2 yo, lol, 'mommy wears diapers'

I do remember we had someone over to fix our furnace and my son (5) invited him up to his room for a tour and to see his trains. Anytime kids come over, he gives them a tour of the whole house, too, including the basement (which is not okay, I don't always get to cleaning the upstairs) Woops. To be fair, we had our house on the market for a while and my son knows our broker and took him around the house several times (initial appt, photos, etc)... and there was another time when our brokers coworkers took a tour, we happened to be on the way out as they were coming in, but ds was so excited, he walked around with them, showing them everything. That was appropriate... but it in NOT appropriate to invite random kids J & K in and show them your bedroom, the closets,mommy and daddy's room, and the furnace... Then I heard him say- "Oh, I forgot to show you the attic"

Oh, it was also amusing (for me) that the neighbor girl was quite puzzled about our sleeping arrangements. I cosleep w/ dd and Rebecca's room was introduced as Rebecca and Mommy's room.

Kids, you just always have to be a zillion steps ahead of them.

Jessica
post #93 of 130
I was in the fitting room trying on a bra, when DD asked (in t he usual LOUD toddler voice) "can you fit all your nipples in there mummy?".I heard several people giggling.

Another story but not my child this time. We were sat in a quiet restaurant. It was early evening and there were mostly families with young children. Anyway this little boy walked out of the toilets with his trousers round his ankles and called across the room "mum I did a poo and need you to wipe me".
post #94 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by larksongs View Post
Ok this is pretty embarassing and happened while my son was not with me but it is a 'parenting thing'...

...Ok so I hadn't been out without my son , with other grown ups for at least a year, I am a sahm, homeschooler, I um don't get out much for myself , with friends without my son. That's fine but anyway, I was going out this day to the city with my two best girl friends. DH was home with my boy.

So we get out of the subway and it is Christmas time in the city very busy.We go to cross this street , I wait for the walk sign to come on, it does and without even thinking about it, just instinctual reaction, I take my girlfriends hands and was like 'Ok lets go"....then I quickly pulled away and slapped my forehead and was like "Sorry guys, just looking out for you being adults and all I know you need my help crossing the street."


My Mom does that even now, but I am fine with it. Its more a a comforting factor for me because she is getting old.
post #95 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneymum View Post
**oh for the love of pete will you lay off the poor mama with the naked babe wrapped in a blanket by the big brother & put in the carseat ...cut a mama some slack, sisters..seriously no one out here is a perfect parent**

now on to the funny...middle DS was about 3 and still pretty hard to understand his speech...except for this one very public time...we were in a fancy kiddy boutique*yeah that doesn't happen that often* and I was talking to another mother who had engaged me about a toy I was looking at, middle DS walks up and asks to buy said toy..I tell him "no sweetie, not today"..he pauses for a moment then exclaims in his very loud and clearest yet voice.." well DAAAAMM-MMMMIT" and walks off...needless to say the other mom made a hasty excuse to leave...
I almost never curse in front of my kiddos...almost*ahem*

and my other fav..I was a single mom with my first DS and hadn't dated at all for about 3 yrs...DS1 had just turned three and I met a wonderful man (now my DH) and he had taken us out for a fun kid movie and afterward wants to bring us to as little cafe for dessert. Well it's Saturday night and he choses this cute as heck cafe/bakery that is full of people. So we snag a table by the door, sit down, get a coffee and a yummy..and my DS annouces he has to go pee. My date , the future DH, being all cute and working to impress me (we'd been dateing a few months) says "it's okay, I'll take him"..so off they trot to the men's bathroom..that my son has never entered before. I'm left sitting and wondering how this will go...they seem to be gone for awhile..then I spot DS trying to walk through the huge crowd of folks who are standing near the counter and talking, he gets about 20 feet from me then in the loudest voice exclaims "MAMA!!! ALL THESE MEN PEE STANDING UP!!!!!!!" while gestering widely with his hands at the crowd.. like it ws the greatest revelation he has ever had...the grin on his face was HUGE...he gets about 10 feet closer and finished this tale of triumph with "MOM!! I PEED IN A JOURNAL" (urinal) The entire place fell silent while future DH and I tried to control our laughter and my wee boy just grinned and grinned
[ ^ especially the part I bolded ^] oh my goodness.

I'll be back, got to go blow my nose & get the rest of this latte out of there
post #96 of 130
This whole thread had me laughing! A great start to the morning.
post #97 of 130
I had such an embarrassing afternoon.

I'm soon to be in my 8th month of pregnancy. DS, 3.5, has come down with a nasty-sounding cough. No fever, no other symptoms, just runny nose + horrible dry cough.

Tomorrow we're leaving to go to family for Thanksgiving, and I need to bake an apple-rum cake today, except we have no rum.

So I take poor DS, hacking and coughing and occasionally sneezing to the grocery store. In my cart I have fresh ravioli, orange juice and a big ole bottle of rum.

Despite the fact that I pick a normally quiet moment of the day to go, the line takes FORFREAKINGEVER. DS hacks away. The woman in front of me looks at DS, looks at me, looks in my cart, and whispers something to her daughter. More waiting. More coughing. A store employee comes over and gives DS a stuffed animal (!!!) presumably because she feels sorry for him, being sick and with a pregnant lush for a mom. I think it was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

Fun times, fun times. Thanks to Swine Flu madness, I am getting the nastiest looks of my entire life while out in public with poor DS!
post #98 of 130
A few yrs ago my now 5yo would still see my husband naked while changing. She would then see while we changed her little brother. She would point out that Daddy has a big penis and Cohen has a little penis.
So we are out around a bunch of people and she says loudly to someone...My Daddy has a BIG penis! Now my husband was very embarrassed but I may have seen a bit of pride there. ahahaha. Kidding. It was pretty embarrassing!
post #99 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post
We were checking out at Target and DS told the cashier "Mommy tooted".
Oh my!
post #100 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
So we are out around a bunch of people and she says loudly to someone...My Daddy has a BIG penis! Now my husband was very embarrassed but I may have seen a bit of pride there. ahahaha. Kidding. It was pretty embarrassing!
Hilarious!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What's your most embarrassing public parenting moment?