Originally Posted by mnnice
Most fireplaces are pretty but not real functional. We have a woodburning fireplace. We lit it the other night because it was really at an optimal temperature outside (25-30 degrees) for it. If it's colder than that we ended up with the furnace running while the fire is lit because so much heat is going up the chimmney
. This is in a modern well insulated house (circa 1995)There probabily a reason previous occupants of your house stuffed it full on insulation
Do you have a source of free or cheap wood?
I don't take the previous owner's opinions on it for much. They kept the house at 74 in the winter and never worked on/used the fireplace. They basically remodeled and moved on.
It's an old, wood burning fireplace with glass doors. We used to have one when I was younger and loved it. Hopefully next year we can figure it out.