or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › December Low Income Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December Low Income Thread - Page 9

post #161 of 185
Does anyone know if it is counted against you if you hold food stamps back to use next month? My friend told me if you did it every month they would lower your award - is that right?

We're getting back on FS, and I'd like to use maybe half of my award one month, then use the excess the next month to do a big shopping run at Sam's club for meat {best prices in our town}.
post #162 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
Does anyone know if it is counted against you if you hold food stamps back to use next month? My friend told me if you did it every month they would lower your award - is that right?

We're getting back on FS, and I'd like to use maybe half of my award one month, then use the excess the next month to do a big shopping run at Sam's club for meat {best prices in our town}.
No they don't atleast here in CA. I actually asked & was told that once it is on there it is yours & they can't take it away or change it. I have been trying to be really frugal & have managed to keep an extra months worth on it.
post #163 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I'd check with the homeless shelters, etc - often if you are classed as homeless {at least in my area} even for one day, you are fast tracked on the section 8 list for housing. It's worth a try even if it means maybe a week of technical "homelessness".
This is not always true unfortunately. We lived in a homeless shelter with our children and it didn't change our status for section 8 at all. All three of the counties we have lived in this year have had Section 8 waiting lists that are years long. There was a waiting list for a certain set of apartments and townhouses that was 5 years long. All the shelters that were actually set up to take families also had long waiting lists which had the children and I in one part of the shelter and dh in the dorm with the men.

Some good news from us. We found out today when dh starts training for his new job! Training will start on January 11th and the training will all be done from home. Not having to commute an hour each way for training or work is a huge money savings at this point. Hopefully this is the start of good things for 2010!
post #164 of 185
Does anyone have exciting plans for new years eve?
I was thinking of cleaning my closet... Kind of like starting 'clean' for the new year... Exciting I know.

New Years Day we are going to coinstar for a giftcard.
post #165 of 185
It's a full moon and blue moon tomorrow so we will be doing some serious cleaning then cleansing. Hopefully get rid of some of the negative nastiness that has been hanging around. Other than that I am working in the afternoon and evening until about 10:30pm. I keep getting not so subtle hints about how we should celebrate the new year after the kids are in bed, but we'll see if the puffy preggo lady feels like anything other then sleeping tomorrow night.
post #166 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Does anyone have exciting plans for new years eve?
I was thinking of cleaning my closet... Kind of like starting 'clean' for the new year... Exciting I know.

New Years Day we are going to coinstar for a giftcard.
I was thinking about doing a year spell.. basically getting poster board and making a poster of the life you want to have, and accomplish for 2010. I guess that's more of a new years day thing.. the eve we'll likely drink something with friends
post #167 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I was thinking about doing a year spell.. basically getting poster board and making a poster of the life you want to have, and accomplish for 2010. I guess that's more of a new years day thing.. the eve we'll likely drink something with friends
I've always heard them called vision boards. This is the first I've heard them called a year spell, maybe the wording is specific to Wicca stuff?
post #168 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I've always heard them called vision boards. This is the first I've heard them called a year spell, maybe the wording is specific to Wicca stuff?
Yeah, I got the idea from the local pagan church That's what they called it, but we have a vision board too, so this one is just a different approach, I guess.
post #169 of 185
Jumping in here, a little sheepishly. I struggle with this general subject, because we really shouldn't be low income, but for so many reasons we are struggling. DP still has his job and everything, but in the last year he hasn't been allowed to work overtime, and that made a huge difference in our finances. I think we pay close to 50% of our income on our housing expenses now, when that number is supposed to be around 30%. When we moved in, it was a lot closer to that, otherwise we wouldn't have rented this place.

On top of it all, DP had a heart attack earlier this year, and between missed work and continuing medical expenses, we're down to living paycheck to paycheck and it's really freaking me out. I finally went to the food bank today, and while I waited around in the freezing cold for four hours, it still was a pretty amazing experience. A whole cart full of food, such a weight off my chest.

I kind of wish we could move elsewhere. The cost of living here is so high, our food bill just kills us. I'm trying to get it down as much as I can, but it's a process. I can't eat gluten and dp has to eat for diabetes and heart disease, which really doesn't help. Cheaper food is always the worst kind of food. Our electrical bill is at least $250 every two months, and our gas is about $100/mo. Part of it is again the COL of this area, and this old house. I can't seem to get it down any further.

DP spends a fair amount of money on gas, because we can't live any closer to his job. The cost of living the closer you get to that area just soars through the roof. A 1br apartment would be well over a thousand dollars, even $1300+, let alone a 2 or 3br, enough to fit us comfortably. Public transportation isn't an option despite the fact that we live right next to a Park & Ride, it just doesn't go where we need it to. His company is so dingy that they won't even hire him-- he goes through a contracting company and gets screwed out of decent medical insurance (would have helped immensely with the heart attack), a better wage, and some freakin' holiday pay.

We make just a little too much for government programs, but not enough to stay on top of things. It's the lower middle class slip through the cracks, I guess. I am on medicaid now, but only because I'm pregnant, otherwise I'm screwed.

I buy everything we need at Goodwill. If that's impractical, and something I really need, then I'll buy it off of Craigslist. Or I'll mooch off of the stuff friends and family don't want anymore. I've dumpster dived. I thankfully owe no money on our vehicles, mostly thanks to my parents, but they still seem to suck out so much money. I can't imagine how I'd afford a monthly payment on top of that.

We don't smoke, aren't drinking right now, only buying what we need, try not to be wasteful, get creative with what we have, and so on... but we keep falling further and further into the hole.

I cannot WAIT for tax refund time, because we always get enough back to relieve me for awhile.


Anyway, thanks for listening. I'm just... tired.
post #170 of 185

Great way to bring in the New Year!

s bjorker and to anyone else who may need them!

Well life is AWFUL right now. I couldn't be more depressed and sad Not really how I wanted to start the New Year.

DD has been really sick for the past week. This has totally drained us and the kids. I completely forgot to call for my phone interview for Food stamps
I tried calling to see if we could do the interview today and they were so rude THe first women laughed and said "No way it is your fault you didn't call not ours." Great way to make me feel better . I told her yes I know it is my fault but things have been so crazy and with my sick daughter I forgot is there anything that can be done? So she transferred me to someone who said they would call this afternoon but couldn't guaranty if we would get foodstamps tomorrow. Now we don't even know if we are going to have them for tomorrow or if we have to wait until next week sometime. Our cupboards are bare our fridge is bare and our wallets are empty

We have been scraping by on what we have and on top of it our Rent is due! How are we going to pay our bills?

Dh didn't work this week because of New years so that $70 we were counting on is not there.

what are we going to do ...I am so upset I can't even think straight !

The 18 wheeler has finally crushed us to smithereens !
post #171 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
s bjorker and to anyone else who may need them!

Well life is AWFUL right now. I couldn't be more depressed and sad Not really how I wanted to start the New Year.

DD has been really sick for the past week. This has totally drained us and the kids. I completely forgot to call for my phone interview for Food stamps
I tried calling to see if we could do the interview today and they were so rude THe first women laughed and said "No way it is your fault you didn't call not ours." Great way to make me feel better . I told her yes I know it is my fault but things have been so crazy and with my sick daughter I forgot is there anything that can be done? So she transferred me to someone who said they would call this afternoon but couldn't guaranty if we would get foodstamps tomorrow. Now we don't even know if we are going to have them for tomorrow or if we have to wait until next week sometime. Our cupboards are bare our fridge is bare and our wallets are empty

We have been scraping by on what we have and on top of it our Rent is due! How are we going to pay our bills?

Dh didn't work this week because of New years so that $70 we were counting on is not there.

what are we going to do ...I am so upset I can't even think straight !

The 18 wheeler has finally crushed us to smithereens !
Can you go to an emergency food pantry?
post #172 of 185
There aren't any in town the closet one is 30 miles away and they are only open till noon.
post #173 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I was thinking about doing a year spell.. basically getting poster board and making a poster of the life you want to have, and accomplish for 2010. I guess that's more of a new years day thing.. the eve we'll likely drink something with friends
Interesting idea! I have no idea what I'd put on it though. Maybe I will just stick to the cleaning things out to clear out nagativity.

Peacemamalove: :Grouphug I am so sorry! Just take it 1 step at a time. Hopeing that they call & get you yout FS funds ASAP!!

We have decided that we are going ot just suck it up & look for the cheapest apt we can find when our time comes & live litterally penny to penny. As long as we keep our FS I think we will be ok. We are going to call the lease company soon so we can turn in our van. FIL is going to let us borrow his pathfinder for a while. I am just trying to hold on to hope that things will work themselves out in 2010. Hope & faith is about all we have to hold onto at this point.
post #174 of 185
GOOD NEWS.... I filed for unclaimed property funds and my check finally came $268.00 Im so excited... part is from an old escrow account, and part is back pay from an old employer... I have such plans for this $$... I need a pair of shoes (if I can find something I like) and Im going to splurge on a new bedset ($150.00). The rest is going into savings. Im so excited.
post #175 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
GOOD NEWS.... I filed for unclaimed property funds and my check finally came $268.00 Im so excited... part is from an old escrow account, and part is back pay from an old employer... I have such plans for this $$... I need a pair of shoes (if I can find something I like) and Im going to splurge on a new bedset ($150.00). The rest is going into savings. Im so excited.
Getting money is always a good thing!


I got a call this morning, it looks like we'll be able to get a room at the Ronald McDonald House next week while were at the hospital and if not no real worries because the hospital will arrange for us to get comp'd hotel rooms for the 2 nights where there lodging has been a major worry for me and that was a total load off!
post #176 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I got a call this morning, it looks like we'll be able to get a room at the Ronald McDonald House next week while were at the hospital and if not no real worries because the hospital will arrange for us to get comp'd hotel rooms for the 2 nights where there lodging has been a major worry for me and that was a total load off!
Wonderful!
post #177 of 185
Got my foodstamps this morning
post #178 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
Got my foodstamps this morning
Awesome!!! I hope you feel a little better now!
post #179 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
Got my foodstamps this morning
Have fun shopping! I get mine tomorrow, planning to go shopping Monday
post #180 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
Got my foodstamps this morning
Yay!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › December Low Income Thread