DS1 is 16. He's interested in all kinds of things.
- He draws (very well - says he might pursue comic art as a career). He likes playing with other mediums (eg. clay, origami, paint, etc.), but hasn't done a lot with any of them.
- He juggles (balls, clubs, rings, flowersticks, spinning plate, diabolo)
- He plays guitar.
- He's on the school gymnastics team.
- He's on the school's Ultimate frisbee team (season overlaps with gymnastics by about a week in March).
- He's in the Interact Club (volunteering - will be manning a Salvation Army kettle next weekend, for instance)
- He's in choir.
- His favourite subject is science - loves it.
- He likes to write (he recently wrote a very short story for English that brought me to tears, but it was about a stillbirth, so that's not that hard, I have to admit).
- He wants to learn blacksmithing at some point.
- He's taken a short course in swinging trapeze.
- He loves acting (and has also talked about possibly being an actor/stuntman).
- He wants to learn what he calls "old fashioned" skills - wool spinning, glass blowing, leatherworking (has a introductory kit for that already), woodworking/carving, etc. etc. etc.
- He likes to snowboard, mountain bike, roller blade, pogo stick!, etc. and would like to learn to ride a unicycle.
I could go on forever. He's an incredibly enthusiastic, energetic, gifted kid. But, we had already decided what to get him for Christmas. For reasons I can't get into (because he occasionally reads my posts here, if I leave them up - and I do, because the kids call me or decorate the carpet with toothpaste or whatever), we probably can't get him what we were going to get him.
I have no ideas!!! Honestly, I should be able to come up with something at the drop of a hat - he has so many interests. But, I'm just not having any thoughts. We're looking at a budget of probably about $100 or so, but could possibly go higher as my mom and stepdad were going to go in on our original idea with us.