or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Hostility towards strollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hostility towards strollers - Page 4

post #61 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
If people really think of their strollers like a vehicle - for hauling children and coats, bags, food, groceries, shopping bags, and the like, then why don't they park them outside like a car or a bike? When I drive to a store, I take my son out of his seat and we go in - without a huge collection of stuff. If I need to take a bag, I carry it. Although it would be more convenient for me, I have never considered driving my car or bike through the aisles of the grocery store to pick up a few items.
You mean like this?

My mom remembers the line of prams outside the A&P when she was a kid in the 1950's. Of course, back then you left your kid in the stroller while you did your shopping. And don't tell me those giant prams are any smaller than the stroller I use right now, which is a large, expensive one. There was a brief period in stroller design history when strollers got small, but it turned out that small is not necessarily better when it comes to stroller designs.

I don't leave my stroller outside a store, because
  1. someone might steal it
  2. I want to keep an eye on the other shopping that's in the base
  3. then I'd have a free-roaming toddler in a store while I was trying to hold the baby, and would thus be unable to actually do any shopping
  4. Someone would complain about all the strollers littering the sidewalks

Strollers are made for walking around. People walk in stores. People includes women. Some women have children. Some of those children are in strollers. That's life.
post #62 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

ps. And you know what? Our puppy rides in the basket under the stroller ... and that usually brings a great big smile to pretty much everybody!
Be careful. The general concensus around her is that people abhore the fact that others bring their dogs everwhere, especially in public places! Now you are adding a stroller to the mix!!!
post #63 of 182
I do have stroller hostility, but I only have one child so I try to suppress it and be understanding. But the one time a lady rudely insisted my small child give up his seat on a packed bus so her stroller could have his space, I said no. I wasn't prepared to put my child's safety at risk so her EMPTY stroller could have it.
post #64 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
I'm constantly apologizing for my stroller being in people's way, most people just stop and briefly admire the babes. I've only had one person ever harrumph me and it was an old man that looked like he had a terminal case of Grinchitis. And if I have ever tapped someone with my stroller by accident - forgive me Father for I have sinned.
I don't think anyone, and certainly not I, was talking about strollerin' mamas who don't try to use their stroller as a battering ram. You sound like a polite person who uses a tool in a well meaning, unselfish, conscientious way. And about "accidentally tapping" someone, I don't think thats what any one who has mentioned being rammed by a stroller is talking about. Usually those who ram accompany the ramming with a dirty look, not an apologetic glance or comment. And I'm pretty surprised by those who said they have never even seen that happen.
If I bump into someone, stroller or not, I will say sorry. Sorry for invading your personal space. Just as I would like someone to do the same if they bump into me. A little courtesy goes a long way.

I don't recall reading anywhere on this thread anyone who thinks strollers should be banned or that anyone who uses a stroller is evil.

I have read lots of accounts (on both sides) of rudeness and a general attitude of self-centeredness and thats where the problem is.
post #65 of 182
Don't get me wrong, I did have and occassionally used a stroller. All PEOPLe, not just mothers, are entitled to use one. Of course they are. But they are not entitled to be more rude or inconsiderate than other people. Their stroller is not allowed to disobey rules, displace other people on public transit, or violate safety rules by blocking aisles in restaurants.

ALL people should be considerate about how they exist in the world, even people who use strollers. I think that is where the annoyance at this particular parenting item comes from...some users use them poorly and think that they can inconvenience everyone else around them for their own convience.

I don't expect other people to change how they function or excuse me from considering others in order to accommodate my motherhood.
post #66 of 182
I do get irritated at people in public with giant strollers-- especially the ones with the infant carseat stuck on top. Honestly, is it that hard to carry your 10 lb. kid rather than taking up 5x as much space as a normal person? I can understand needing a stroller for multiples or children with disabilities, or for transportation (outdoors!), but otherwise they just seem unnecessary, and I do think it's rude to hog up that much space, and in crowded places I've been bumped into more than once-- and my children have been bumped into, as well. Leave the strollers outside and teach your preschoolers to walk and behave in stores.
And this is coming from a poor mom of more than one, who has been car-free, does not have a nanny, and has moderately severe scoliosis.
post #67 of 182
Yes, that and that.
People are, luckily, free to do what they want, and use whatever stroller they want (big, small, huge, double, triple etc.) if they want to use them.

But yes, people in general could be more polite, but that goes for most things.

I have to tell you about one time when I had our Bugaboo stroller on the bus during rush hour, I only had groceries in it, and baby in wrap and other kids by hand. But, there were two other strollers too, so the space in the middle for the strollers was packed, and it was hard to get past it for the other passangers. One old man came, squeezed past (us trying our best to make it as easy as we could), and as he did so, he said: "The future takes up some space" with a big grin.
He was so sweet about it, it really made us all smile.
post #68 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
Honestly, is it that hard to carry your 10 lb. kid rather than taking up 5x as much space as a normal person?
Sometimes, yes. And it's not for you, or me, or anyone else to judge.

And that's all there is to it.
post #69 of 182
This is kind of OT but since I've been using a stroller I have a lot more empathy for people in wheelchairs. It can be so hard to even find your way into some buildings, let alone negotiate your way around once you get in. At least I have the option for bumping up and down steps which wheelchair users don't. And I hate the way some stores leave boxes of goods littering the aisles. There's one health food store that I never use because it is so 'un- wheelfriendly'.

Back on topic, the most hostility toward strollers I have ever encountered is here on mdc. There seems to be a almost militant attitude amongst some mamas. An 'If I can carry a 30lb toddler, a diaper bag, library books and grocery bags for a 2 mile round trip then so can you' kind of attitude'. I think that everyone should just do what is right for their own family but accept that other people have different situations.
post #70 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
Sometimes, yes. And it's not for you, or me, or anyone else to judge.

And that's all there is to it.
I totally agree with this.
post #71 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
This is kind of OT but since I've been using a stroller I have a lot more empathy for people in wheelchairs. It can be so hard to even find your way into some buildings, let alone negotiate your way around once you get in. At least I have the option for bumping up and down steps which wheelchair users don't. And I hate the way some stores leave boxes of goods littering the aisles. There's one health food store that I never use because it is so 'un- wheelfriendly'.
It's the lack of curb cuts that get to me! I never noticed it before I have a stroller. Even if there IS a curb cut (which oftentimes there isn't), half the time it's not even anywhere near the crosswalk. I mean, whose brilliant idea was it to make a person in a wheelchair go way out of their way when they need to cross a street?
post #72 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
And about "accidentally tapping" someone, I don't think thats what any one who has mentioned being rammed by a stroller is talking about. Usually those who ram accompany the ramming with a dirty look, not an apologetic glance or comment. And I'm pretty surprised by those who said they have never even seen that happen.
If I bump into someone, stroller or not, I will say sorry. Sorry for invading your personal space. Just as I would like someone to do the same if they bump into me. A little courtesy goes a long way.
I have yet to see a case of stroller rage in my neighborhood. And I live in an urban setting, but in Canada, so maybe we're more polite.

I use a stroller, I am a courteous person by nature - as are most human beings. I believe people generally mean well. And most likely that harried, beleaguered mother that accidentally bumped you didn't mean to.

If you go out into the world looking for offense you will surely find it.
post #73 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmaticme View Post
I have yet to see a case of stroller rage in my neighborhood. And I live in an urban setting, but in Canada, so maybe we're more polite.

I use a stroller, I am a courteous person by nature - as are most human beings. I believe people generally mean well. And most likely that harried, beleaguered mother that accidentally bumped you didn't mean to.

If you go out into the world looking for offense you will surely find it.
I have never seen it either and I live in the same state has the poster you quoted. Apparently the world is a much different place on the other side of the mountain since we have never agreed on anything.
post #74 of 182
I'm with the PP who sees strollers as a necessary evil. I don't really notice strollers most of the time and I have no problem stepping aside so someone pushing a stroller can get by. I make a point to hold the door for parents with strollers. That being said, I do get a bit hostile towards strollers when I get bumped into (with no apology) by them or pushed out of the way by someone with a stroller or if someone blocks an aisle with their stroller when they could easily have parked it towards the side so someone could pass (this applies to grocery carts as well). It's not really an issue with the stroller itself....more of an issue with the inconsiderate person pushing it. Just because you have a stroller, that doesn't mean you're automatically exempt from common courtesy in public places.
Personally, I really dislike using strollers and hope to never have to use one. That's just me though. I don't begrudge anyone the right to use a stroller, so long as it's used courteously.
post #75 of 182
Oh and you'll probably never hear more "sorry sorry excuse me sorry sorry" coupled with sheepish smiles than when two moms with strollers meet up in a tiny aisle at our local grocery store. And then of course we go admire each others babies and move on with our day with a smile.
post #76 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I'm with the PP who sees strollers as a necessary evil. I don't really notice strollers most of the time and I have no problem stepping aside so someone pushing a stroller can get by. I make a point to hold the door for parents with strollers. That being said, I do get a bit hostile towards strollers when I get bumped into (with no apology) by them or pushed out of the way by someone with a stroller or if someone blocks an aisle with their stroller when they could easily have parked it towards the side so someone could pass (this applies to grocery carts as well). It's not really an issue with the stroller itself....more of an issue with the inconsiderate person pushing it. Just because you have a stroller, that doesn't mean you're automatically exempt from common courtesy in public places.
Personally, I really dislike using strollers and hope to never have to use one. That's just me though. I don't begrudge anyone the right to use a stroller, so long as it's used courteously.
OK I often put my cart or stroller in the middle of the isle. Otherwise my toddler pulls everything off the shelf. I am sure people aren't trying to purposely block your way but rather prevent the big mess a two or three year old can make with things he can reach on the shelf.
post #77 of 182
Oh mine was beautiful as a two year old. As a three year old.. not so much. The other day we walked down the bulk isle and he pulled every single scoop out of the holder and let them dangle on to the floor on their little bungy thingies. I followed him putting them back (they didn't hit the floor) and told him to stop. He stops and looks at me and says, "What mom? It's funny!" Oh yes.. he is his fathers child! I get the same response when I tell him not to push the cans over on the shelves. (something I had to break DH of in his 20s!! But long before DS was born.)
post #78 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmaticme View Post

If you go out into the world looking for offense you will surely find it.
I think this is what it boils down to

Really, I can't see complaining unless you are inconvenienced by strollers on, like, a daily basis or have been 'rammed' into a dozen times. Otherwise, get over it. I have had my foot run over by shopping carts, yet I don't have hostility issues with them.

How about, stay out of the way of strollers and don't waste any more energy thinking bad thoughts about them. They aren't going anywhere, and hey, maybe they'll get even bigger in the years to come

I have always been considerate with my stroller pushing, and as I said before haven't had an issue with others who use them -- but I'm sure there have been outsiders who gave me a glare I didn't noticed or grumbled b/c it took me a few more seconds to hold the door open for myself to pull the stroller all the way through. That sounds like their problem, though, not mine.
post #79 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I have always been considerate with my stroller pushing, and as I said before haven't had an issue with others who use them -- but I'm sure there have been outsiders who gave me a glare I didn't noticed or grumbled b/c it took me a few more seconds to hold the door open for myself to pull the stroller all the way through.
I have always backed out of doors when I have the stroller, then hold the door with my foot as I pull it through. It's much easier than trying to wrestle a stroller through it forwards.
post #80 of 182
I have never been rammed by a stroller nor did I ram anyone.
I have a large stroller and I love it (Teutonia). It is safe and sturdy and necessary here in Wyoming. A plastic umbrella stroller could never navigate through the snow and mud here.
All stores have aisles wide enough to accommodate it. Nobody ever complained to me, instead I get comments on how comfy DS looks and how nice the stroller is.
I wore DS until he got too heavy to me, which happened quickly. I have a travel stroller from Europe which is prolly considered a big stroller here. Both the travel stroller and the Teutonia fit just fine in my Explorer with plenty of space for groceries.
I once used the Maclaran travel stroller, my SIL's, and I found it uncomfy for both DS and me. I'm only 5'6" and had to bend down, my back hurt terribly! And it was bad for DS's back as well.
As I said, I only ever get friendly comments and no mom ever used her stroller as a weapon against me. When I was in Germany in May though, people routinely treated me horribly for having a baby. Slammed doors, pushed me out of the way, annoyed glares for taking him to a restaurant (where he wasn't crying, but happily babbling in the high chair). I'm German and know well that Germans aren't exactly children friendly... But so far Americans have always been so friendly and wonderful towards kids.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Hostility towards strollers